1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Songbird (Music Player)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Jon, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Music player from Mozzila It's build on Firefox and is pretty solid, and as you can guess since it's build on firefox it's got addons. Some really awesome ones as well.

Link

[​IMG]

Is my current setup, the program is excessively customizable.

I reccomend you guy's try it to see if you like it or not.

inb4itunes

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Looks pretty nice. I'll try it out and see how I like it. Thanks for the rec.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

4. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Its light. Not as light as light as foobar2000, but less than winamp unless you load it with addons.

Been using it since its 1.0 release. It is pretty nifty.

Edit: Must have confused it with some other player. After 2 hours of constant playing, memory usage is at 90mb.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, just looking at the screenshot right now, since I don't have my real comp atm, it looks EXACTLY like iTunes, just where shit is. (apart from the lyrics)

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Can you recommend some add-ons Jon? For example, your current skin will integrate with my Ubuntu theme nicely. What is it?

How does this compare to Amarok? Amarok2 went tits up, as far as I'm concerned, but 1.4 (or whatever's in the Ubuntu repos) kicks foobar2000 and winamp's collective asses in my opinion.

Inb4Amarok. Ohwai--

Edit: Thanks Jon. I didn't think it was worth another post just to say it. :p

7. Jon

Ellisande: I left most of the parts in the default place, you can change it however you want. I just find that format to be the most efficient.

My theme (Feather) is YABS

Pause/Play/Stop Buttons [Adds pause and stop buttons instead of a single button]

Lyrics master [Fetches lyrics from the net]

Fasterbird [Performance tweaks]

MMKeys[If you have linux and have a mediakeyboard]

Music Reccomendations [Gives a list of similar artists for the songs you play, great for finding new music.]

Edit: Oh and another good addon is http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/1204 which let's you interface with msn, irc and a number of 'chat' programs.

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

It looks nice, and seems fairly stable...

...but it uses 100% of my processor. At least with Amarok it only uses ~30% when rescanning my collection; 10% while playing. Perhaps once they mature more and people make their add-ons more Linux-friendly, I'll use it again.

Thanks anyway Jon. =/

9. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Great music player but for the last few months I can't even load it without it crashing.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Using it now and I'm impressed. Nearly as easy on resources as foobar and a hell of a lot better looking.

11. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

Brilliant. About time an organization with Mozilla's talents got around to making an audio player. Not a resource-hog, good-looking and useable right off the bat, plus the soon-to-be gargantuan library of themes and add-ons Firefox is so famous for. Plus, the play/pause button on my keyboard can actually play/pause without Foobar being the active window ^_^.

A+ for awesomeness.

12. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Foobar can look as tidy as fook.

13. Innomine

High Score:
    I'll try it out when I get my comp back, but what advantage is there to using this over iTunes on a mac? Frankly, i'd use this on a PC anyday (itunes on a PC is the worst thing ever) but yeah. I barely even see itunes, all my music is controlled by global hotkeys anyway.

14. Jon

Guys; those who think it is using too much resources use fasterbird to lower them. :s i've overclocked mine. x) you should try underclocking it.

15. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm loving this. I haven't had a decent, customizable player ever. It's easy to use, easy to transfer my songs to, and only uses about 2-3% of my CPU. God, I love my new system.

16. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

It dropped down to 50% usage (on each core...Doesn't that make the total 100%? These multi-core processors confuse the hell out of me) with FasterBird, but that's still too high in my opinion... Memory usage is much lower than Firefox itself though (then again, I run two windows with 20+ tabs each usually).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  17. lazarus01

lazarus01 First Year

Just started using this (though I tried it in its earlier days). Pretty well put together and considerably more stable with the official release. Fasterbird does seem to help keep the resource usage down too. Plus the add-ons make it fun to play around with.

BTW: Demons & Wizards is a great band.

18. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

Installed this yesterday, and this thing is amazing. Uses barely any resources, customizable, and the web browser is sweet.

I used to use winamp which had all sorts of bugs, the browser would never work, and used a ton of resources for what it was.

Nice find.

19. Innomine

High Score:
    Just tested it out now.

It uses double the CPU that itunes does, while playing music, and double the ram. It does not support my wireless speakers through my airport express.

For a mac at least, im sticking with iTunes. For a PC, i'd definitely use it.

20. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I picked this up earlier, and I'm honestly not sure what I think about it. I like how the hotkeys work when it's not the active window (something that Winamp, oddly enough, fluctuates with), but on the other hand, this thing has crashed on me at least four times today alone.