1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter Agent of MI6 by Greame - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by e1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. e1

e1 Third Year

Title: Harry Potter Agent of MI6
    Author: Greame
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternate's
    Pairing: ?
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 43,673
    Updated: December 30, 2008
    Published: December 27, 2008

Summary:

Thrown from his own universe and time; Harry Potter is now faced with a strange new world filled with superheroes and dangerous new enemies. Dose his way home lie with the shadowy MI6 superhuman unit Mordred? Harry Potter/Marvel Universe Crossover.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4746823/1/Harry_Potter_Agent_of_MI6

The summary sounded interesting enough, so I went ahead and gave this a shot. It turned out to be a pretty decent read. If you enjoy action as much as I do, chances are you'll find this quite enjoyable. The author seems to be well versed in canon magic -- he mostly sticks to practical spells, rather than going straight for the flashy ones.

The fic starts of somewhat shaky, with more than a few glaring typos littering the first chapter -- but it gets better as you keep reading. Lots of technical jargon; but it fits in nicely with the entire 'futuristic sci-fi' feel.

Dunno if it deserves a spot in the library or not. I'll let you guys decide.:D

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013
    It was announced as part one of a series, but the author never posted a second story.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'm still on the first chapter but straight of I can see some stuff that even I could phrase better, also Harry seems lightly out of character at points.

And then a bit after that.

There's a fair few of minor mistakes like above but overall I was kind of entertained, added to alerts.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  3. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Just from the quotes in Skykes post I can see that I'm probably going to get annoyed with this fic... just because every sentence begins with I. Will edit my post later.

EDIT:Well... I can see how this would appeal to some peoples tastes. However for me the repetitive use of the word I even if it is written in a first person perspective annoys the hell out of me. The fact that it actually uses first person perspective is even worse. There were a few spelling mistakes that I found and I usually don't look for them so that says something. 3/5

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. JaredDrake

JaredDrake Squib

Yeah... the continued use the word/letter " I " certainly downgraded this fic somewhat. Very annoying to read. I'm not an experienced writer but I could certainly think of different ways to write a first pov story without the constant use of " I ".

EDIT: Okay, I may have jumped to conclusions too quickly. Its actually a decent read after the first chapter. Quite good. 3-4/5

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I read this the other day and liked a number of aspects (the fairy, the tights, Harry going solo) but I couldn't stand the first bad guy. Totally killed it for me. Very one dimensional (fight, rend, escape, repeat).

After going through such pains to be very detailed in the inner workings of everything, not expanding somewhat on the villain seemed a waste.

Now I'm sure it was just a "Harry tests his mettle to prove to everyone that he has the shit it takes to run with the big boys" and there will be a much better plot ahead, but for now I'll wait and see if the next guy is just as bad.

3/5

6. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

not bad, I'm a bit iffy on the crossover, but it does seem to have the feel of the extended version of Mr. Blacks adventures where he ends up shifted to the marvel universe.

Harry seems a tad to powerful in comparison, but then I suppose most superhero's do. Decent plot, slightly OOC, but that's to be expected. 3.5ish out of 5. Dunno why but It seems a lil to... I don't know how to explain it, but Un-DLPish is the closest I can get I suppose.

Good fic to waste some time on, but certainly not an epic story.

7. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I think it's the fact that it reads like the dialogue of one of those American comic books, emphasis on the villain introduced just so he can be defeated.

His overuse of the word I also makes it seem like it was written by someone in primary school. I'd say at times that his fight scenes are overly descriptive which also makes them ready badly, for example:

"The Banishing Charm hit Wild-cat and sent him careening back at an incredible speed. He hit the far wall with a dull thump and I quickly sent a Stunning Spell after him to make sure he stayed down. The scarlet bolt of the Stupefy flew down the length of the room and hit Wild-cat right in the chest just as he was about to recover."

65 words where 40 would have done, and it's very much a part of this fic. I would guess he was setting great story by his word count.

"The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do." Thomas Jefferson and an example this author needs to learn from.

Overall giving it more than 3 would be generous, I agree with manatheron, a good fic to waste time on. I did enjoy it somewhat.

3/5

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

4/5 from me. In dire need of a good beta, and the whole "I" thing is annoying at times, but I like it and can't wait for more.

9. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

This isn't bad at all, definitely better than average.
    Not amazing though, so it fits the four out of five quite good.

Just as others had said, this story needs a good beta.

10. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

This is library worthy. Only one or two places where I cringed as far as content goes. It is a solid 4/5.

Also, included a couple of lines from the story that really amused me. In spoiler tags:

The spark in Alistair’s eyes seemed to grow brighter; in truth it scared me a little. It reminded me of the mark of a true fanatic, like when Voldemort spoke of muggle-borns or Hermione of House-elves.

----
    That precognition stuff was pretty usefully, I thought, if I’m the child of prophecy I wished I took a bit more after my parent.

Of course, I am once again getting the urge to write my own cross-over. *die you little beast*

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

12. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

None of the characters behave rationally. Maybe I'm expecting too much because I'm not familiar with what is being crossed over, but . . . the characterization is shit, and I had to work pretty hard to get to the end. Not a fun read.

13. Nuhuh

It's mostly something for those who'd like to see the cross. Otherwise, yeah, tons of things to be critical of. I voted on the entertainment value of it for me.

14. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

The thing about crosses though, is that when done properly, they can be fantastic without having read all of the source material. I can think of several HP/Dresden crosses that I think are great, even though I haven't read nor seen any Dresden stuff.

15. Nuhuh

Given. But then no one called this one "great." It's worth the amusement for those in the know. As a stand-alone it has flaws, no doubt.

Dunno if you ever read that one cross between HP and Deadpool? Though that was like 1000 words long, so in a different category.

16. confucius

confucius Second Year

What bugged me about this fic is that in some situations, the author seems to avoid contractions as much as possible, even when he's writing out Harry's thought process. Then, there are contractions in the very next sentence.

Also, at the beginning of the story, he says that Harry's tired after the first fight with the computers, and that he doesn't have a lot of magic left. In Canon HP, Harry has a lot more magic than that. However, throughout the rest of the story, he uses many times that amount of magic without consequence, which seems contradictory.

I did like some of the interactions with Faye. It seemed fairly genuine of Harry. Unfortunately, Harry's reasoning at the beginning of the story annoys me. From the point when he's captured to the decision of becoming an agent, he just lets anything and everything happen to him with a sort of "oh well, I have no choice" attitude.

Overall, better than most stuff out there so I'll give it a 3/5

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, it bored me. 2/5

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  18. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bored me. Harry seems to be a giant pussy and the superheros are meh.

2/5

19. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Harry doesn't 'have' a certain amount of magic. Magic is not a numerical value and there are no 'power levels'.

It's not like some rpg where you have a mana bar in which x spell costs y mana leaving you with z remaining.

20. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

The idea behind this story seemed to have potential, but the overall enjoyability of it was cut down tremendously by the whole 'I' thing that everyone has pointed out. Another thing that sort of ruined it for me was the random bursts of irrationality in the character's behaviours/thoughts. Still a good read if you're bored, though I wouldn't read it a second time. 3/5