1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gems of Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Innomine, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alright, this is a post I have been thinking of writing for a while, but i've only got around to writing it now, as I am stuck in a motel in the middle of nowhere without internet for christmas.

Basically the whole premise of the post is to list what YOUR favorite fics are within the many genres of fanfiction we have around here. This is completely based on personal preference, guilty pleasures, whatever, nothing to do with what is THE BEST, but just what YOUR FAVORITES are. It doesn't have to be in the DLP library, or anything. In other words, no flaming other peoples choices for being their choices. I'd just like a list of what all the different people here consider to be the best of fanfiction.

I'd like this list to be a reference for people just wanting something to read, or just a compilation of what the people here consider to be the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Either way, without further ado, here is my list. As you can see, I've added comments onto mine.

Azkaban

From the Abyss - Ruskbyte

This is one of the most chilling fics I have ever read. I usually hate Azkaban fics, and hate fics with
    other stuff like rape and murder from the protagonist a lot, so this usually would be a fic I would despise, however, the writing was exquisite. It was definitely not a cup of tea, but definitely the only Azkaban fic i'll ever remember, if only due to the writing.

Dark Arts

I ended up going through the whole Dark Arts section, and found no fic I took any particular liking too. As much as I hate Pussy!Harry, i've never enjoyed Evil!Harry. Well, I absolutely love Shezza's Harry, who is questionably evil, but i've yet to see a Dark Arts fic that has writing of similar quality.

General

The Hero Trilogy - Joe

EPIC, the only word for it. Epic. Not something i'll reread a lot, but, the journey reading that was most enjoyable.

Humor/Parody

Where in the world is Harry Potter series - Nonjon.

Unlike most people, I agree with you Nonjon, the 3rd book was by far the best. I didn't like the first two anywhere near as much.

A Black Comedy - Nonjon

Another classic. I usually hate sexual based humor, but, Nonjon seems to be the only person I can stand it from. I cannot wait for the sequel to this fic. You promised us Nonjon, you promised us!

So Sue Me - Lunakatrina

By far my favorite style of characterization of a Protagonist. Sarcastic. I love sarcasm, and this fic definitely brings it out. Almost reminds me of Harry Dresden, actually. Has the same kinda... feel to it. With this one being less mature, and more just speaking whatever.

Independent

Evil Be Though My Good - Ruskbyte

The eeriness and creepiness of this fic is only understood when you read it. Any attempt to put it into words just ruins it.

Measure for Measure - FrackoftheHeathens

A fic that has... no noticeable outstanding value, but for some reason just draws you in, and captivates you. Definite guilty pleasure as well.

Romance

Hope - Jeconais

The only person who does romance acceptably. I've enjoyed most of Jeconais' writings, but this is definitely one of my favorite fluff pieces. Completely light hearted, no real conflict during the course of the whole fic, but the journey following it just makes you feel warm and happy inside.

Perfect Situations - Jeconais

Recently reread this one, today actually. Even though it is a short piece, it will remain one of my favorites. I've always been a sucker for a good romance, however, good is by far the key word. I don't want to read about two people finding out they like each other, and then trading bodily fluids. I like to read the way there, how it occured, why it occured. The emotions written into the text must feel real, and as I said, Jeconais is the only person in fanfiction i've read, that can make it feel real.

Alternates

The Lie I've Lived - Jbern

The characterization of the sorting hat is the best OC introduced to fanfiction behind Amanda from the Denarian series. Enough said. Oh, and excellent writing too.

Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod - Heather Sinclair

Why hast thou not updated? :( I want to see Harry fuck the old god with the giant stone dildo. (IT HAS NOW BEEN UPDATED)

The End - Draco664

Are you seeing a pattern here? I love the emotion written into fics. This fic just really brings across the despair felt by Harry. By the end of the one shot, you really do understand that it is, The End.

Time Travel

Wastelands of Time - Joe

As with other things, there is a pattern here. If Joe writes it. Its epic. Its a law of nature. Update more, my good man.

Catharsis - Nuhuh

Best time travel fic ever written. Fuck the cliches in it, You make the cliches feel new, and thats good enough for me. Harry vs Dumbledore is a surprisingly novel concept, and that duel at the end was just by far the best piece of action written in fanfiction. I personally think Shezza writes average action, so use that as a comparison. This fic just passed Browncoat, Greeneyes as my second favorite piece of fanfiction. You have no idea how much I want a sequel. Fuck DF/MP. (Addendum, you now updated DF/MP. I want more of that now as well :( )

Crossover

Browncoat, Greeneyes - Nonjon

Take the best TV show ever made, add a super Harry and mix with a dash of humor. Serve cold. You just can't argue with it.

The Denarian Series - Shezza88

My favorite piece of fanfiction, hands down. Quoting Taure, Amanda is the best thing that has happened to fanfiction. The characterization of every single character in this fic is just exquisite. From my favorite characterization of Dumbledore, to Harry just being someone I want to be when I grow up, I have nothing to complain about. I love the filler. <3

Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain - Nuhuh

Denarian Dad. I want the TV show. :(

------------------------------------------------------------------

This was originally meant to just be my top 3 favorite fics, with a decent sized review of each, I ended up including series, and then just collective works by an author (Nonjon), then I moved to my top 5, until I just finally realized I needed to do it by Genre. Fanfiction, in my opinion has some of the best writing i've ever seen. No matter how many times some original fiction gets edited, it will never live up to the standards that we have held authors to here at DLP. Finding this site and reading the fics here are definitely some of the best ways i've ever spent my time.

2. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

3. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Azkaban-
    Harry Potter and the Dark Knight - Denial & Deception

Time Travel-
    The Stranger Trilogy - Jono
    Welcome to Hogwarts 1949 (On a much lesser scale than Jono's work) - Ohyeah100

Alternate Universe/Independent (I generally only read AU fics with an Independent Harry)-
    The Lie I've Lived, Bungle in the Jungle, Turn Me Loose - Jbern

Dark Arts-
    Dark Marauder by BajaB

Humor/Romance-
    I don't really read many humor or romance fics, so I won't comment.

4. MellowYellow

MellowYellow Fourth Year DLP Supporter

5. Scriblerus

Scriblerus First Year

Non-Harry Centric: There's some pretty great ones.
    Recall Alice When She Was Just Small, by Harmonic Friction. Only good portrayal of Dudley I've ever seen.
    Stasis by Cupid-Painted-Blind is...utterly amazing. Regulus' story. Frankly, I have yet to run across one of her stories that wasn't six shades of awesome.

Crack!Fic (I love it)
    Oswald the Ottoman by lunakatrina, also her Family Counseling with the Durleys is great.
    150 Things I am Not Allowed to Do in Hogwarts, Upon penalty of death or worse, by CaramelBoost is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Crossover
    The Perils of Demonology by Troll Boy and GoS...mmm, Good Omens and Harry Potter. Not terribly well written, I think, but still enjoyable.

Various shades of dark
    Sisters in Law by our very own Tinn Tamm
    Eat the Rich by Nomokiss
    The Birth of Evil by DisobedienceWriter HIGHLY AU, but thoroughly enjoyable.

Azkaban!Harry
    Bedlamite by Semika

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    This thread reminds me of this other thread, the one about some awards something-or-other that probably won't happen. I'll say this: at least you correct one of the most egregious mistakes on the boards, Ellisandre. (The apostrophe in "Alternates").

Here are some of my own categories and choices, designed to have minimal overlap with the prior posts:

Best Harry/Ginny that a DLP Reader Might Enjoy:
    Harry Potter and the Dance of the Warrior - LordDragon73
    The Awakening Power - sib-ff
    Backward With Purpose (and sequels) - DeadWoodpecker

Best Severitus:
    The Shortest Severitus Story Ever - IP82

Best Crossover Concept You'd Never Read (Yet Is Surprisingly Good):
    The Best Seven Years - Blu Taiger (HP/Calvin and Hobbes)

Best Story Start You Wish The Author Would Not Have Abandoned:
    In The Clockface, Weighted and Weary - nuhuh

Best Psychodrama:
    The Song of the Trees - Tinn Tam
    What Lies Beneath - Master Slytherin

Best One-Shot That Isn't DLP Material (But Is Still Worth Reading):
    Cauterize - Lady Altair

Most Pimped:
    Oedipus Flower - Vash the unholy

Author You Wish Would Quit His/Her Day Job And Write Fanfiction Full-Time:
    Tinn Tam, nonjon

Lifetime Achievement Award:
    Jeconais (though, like Brando, I'm less fond of Tim's later work)