1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Death Eaters and revels?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by fanficlover, Jan 13, 2009.

1. fanficlover

fanficlover Fourth Year

Canon doesn't actually provide any evidence of Death Eaters organising revels to torture Muggles in particular, does it?

The kind that every fan fic story states- they go to Muggle villages and simply loot, plunder, torture and kill for pleasure. Some even write that new Death Eaters are initiated =after showing off their "talent" at a revel.

Dolohov was described as someone who tortured "countless muggles and non supporters of the Dark Lord"

I've always thought of the Death Eaters as people who did not want Muggles in their world as they thought that they were "intruders" who tried to change the pure blood way of life.

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Goblet of Fire, post World Cup. If they're willing to cause that kind of trouble in front of thousands of wizards, what would they fear from a bunch of muggles?

Also, describing what happened to muggles in great detail wasn't integral to the story. Quit nit-picking.

3. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Statements like this make them out to be other than what they are in canon, in my opinion. In the world of JKR, after all, there is good and there is evil, with no in-between. If you want to write this, then go ahead, but based on canon the Death Eaters are purebloods who get drunk and cause "natural disasters" in the Muggle world. Reread the intro "The Other Minister" in Half-Blood Prince. They blow up bridges and stuff instead of throwing horseshoes.

Canonically, they're pretty much psychotically deranged sociopathic terrorists. Muggles are easy targets, so they die. Muggleborns are easy targets, so they die.

4. Scriblerus

Scriblerus First Year

Additionally, Voldemort planned the eventual subjugation of all muggelery, so that not-wanting-the-intruders bit is out the window.
    And revels, I think, can be seen in book 7. I need to double check, but there's something like them in there. I think.

5. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

I think JKR said enough when she stated that the Death Eaters were a parallel to another well-known organization big on ethnic cleansing. She doesn't have to tell us what Death Eaters do; our imaginations and our history will give us a pretty good idea.