1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned "Between Shadows"-Series by Scb047 - M - BtVS

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by The DarIm, Jan 28, 2009.

1. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Title: Between Shadows
    Author: Scb047
    Rating: M
    Genre: General, Romance, Action and a fair bit of Tragedy
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms (BtVS)
    Pairing: Xander/Faith mainly with mention of past Xander/Cordelia, Xander/Anya, Xander/Buffy and Xander/Faith

1. Between Shadows Episode I The Pugilist
    Based a few years in the future. Xander now lives in New York and attends NYU. He's left his past behind, but the world he thought he walked away from is just about to catch up with him.
    Link

2. Between Shadows Episode II Once We Were Warriors

Xander’s spin-off series, set a few years in the future in New York. This is the second episode in the series where Xander must finally come to term with who he is to save a young woman’s life.
    Link

3. Between Shadows Episode III Livin' Dead Girl

Xander’s spin-off series, set a few years in the future in New York. Xander faces a moral dilemma as he must protect a man from his undead girlfriend, while trying to readjust his new life to the surprise visit of an old friend.
    Link

4. Between Shadows Episode IV That Sweet Madness

Xander’s spin-off series, set a few years in the future in New York. Giles warns Xander that someone is after an ancient artifact that may help open a doorway to hell, forcing Xander to push aside plans he had to deal with his relationship with Faith.
    Link

5. Between Shadows V Dust N'Bones

Xander’s spin-off series, set a few years in the future in New York. Recovering from his injuries, Xander is suddenly beset by an uncontrollable series of visions that threaten his sanity as well as the lives of everyone around him.
    Link

6. Between Shadows VI: The Art of War

Xander’s spin-off series, set a few years in the future in New York. Xander’s fight against Mason’s minion is about to escalate into all out warfare as tragedy strikes his friends. Can a blossoming relationship survive this trial?
    Link

7. Between Shadows Episode VII: Unforgiven...

Xander's spin-off series, set a few years in the future in New York. Prompted by a photo, Dawn starts to reveal some of Xander's past to the group, while guilt over Gabe's injury leads Xander and Marcus into a deadly situation that might cost them both their souls.
    Link

8. Between Shadows Ep VIII: ...and Nothing Else Matters​
    After Dawn's abduction, Xander starts down a path he took long ago with Buffy, hoping to finally quiet the ghosts that have been plaguing him, and maybe finally make the last stand he wished he'd taken years ago.
    Link
    I first found this story in 2003 (I think) and it reads almost as good now as it did then. It's set in an AU that diverges sometime around season 5 I think with a few differences before that. The story starts with Xander, now aged 25, attending NYU and through we're shown the past in small fragments that combine to form the bigger picture throughout the series.
    It's mostly Xander/Faith but Faith doesn't actually make an appearance till episode 3.

Now, Pros and Cons.

Pros: Well written for the most part. Decent size and the story-telling at least is superb, it just draws you in. The action is well written, the characters are well developed and overall one of the best stories I've ever read in any fandom.

Cons: First of all, it's abandoned, which is a real pity. The first four episodes are done in a single, very long chapter and the rest in 4 chapter installments with a slight reduction in chapter size. The formatting is poor and some grammatical errors, though they don't occur all that frequently. And there is no marker at scene changes.

Still, I liked it 5 years ago and when I found it on my old favorite list last night, it still reads almost as good. I suggest you give it a try.

2. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

I read the first. 'tis nice. A bit confusing with the sudden scene shifts and flashbacks, but nice.

3. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Read a bit further, the flash backs tell you the entire back story, what's changes and what's the same. Though the formatting is a bit iffy, and scene changes can throw you.