1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Felix Castor Series - Mike Carrey

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Amerision, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

There's far too little attention being paid to this series by Mike Carey. The author's famous for his Lucifer series and his various comic book story arcs.

Book 1 is The Devil You Know

Book 2 is Vicious Circle

It's vaguely like the Dresden Files in that it's an Urban Fantasy/Mystery story, but that similarity ends there (other than the typical hardboiled detective main character).

Felix Castor is an Exorcist in London that's undergoing some changes. Society is forced into a new era that blurs the line of life and death. Somewhere around the new millennium the world began to notice dead people weren't staying quite as dead as they used to.

Ghosts and the undead are becoming more common in the world, and although the law doesn't give them rights yet (which makes Castor's job of blasting them away into nonexistence easier), people are becoming used to seeing strange sights - the odd smelling lady that stands outside the school fence, watching perhaps for her long dead son, or the spirit of a husband long gone that never quite left his bed.

The premise is very interesting, but there's little in the way of magical duels a la Harry Potter or the Dresden Files. At least as of yet. Most of the fighting is hand to hand combat and using exorcism to survive werewolves, Catholic Hitmen, succubi, possessed people, and demons.

The character has mentioned magic once or twice, and indicates he's capable of it, but I don't think it's of the flashy pyrotechnic variety - probably more like soul shredding, demon summoning, or ward creation. Although even deep in book two, he hasn't done a speck of magic that's unrelated to excorcism.

His method of excorcism is a bit cheesy at first, but you learn to appreciate it quickly. You'll know what I mean.

I give the series a 4.5/5, if only because the 1st book is a bit slow for the first 100 pages. Definitely worth reading. You have to give it a chance (go beyond halfway in the first book).

The writing is also leaps and bounds better than the Dresden Files, if only because Carey doesn't make up new plot points through the series to tie the mysteries together.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. pnub

pnub First Year

I just finished reading the 1st book about an hour ago.

I have to agree with you that you have to slog through the first 100 or so pages but it’s not dissimilar to Furies of Calderon in that respect. I read the first 100 pages, and then didn't pick up the book for the next 2 days, but once I started to read it again I finished the entire book without putting it down.

At this stage I would say magic isn’t going to play a huge part of the story, at least like Amerision said not in the traditional duelling sense like in Dresden and Potter. Although it has been mentioned a few times that Fix can actually perform real magic although it’s not specified what kind of magic that may be. We have seen one instance of black magic used in the form of a summoning but the i don't believe it will be widely used as according to Fix 99% of black magic out there is a pile of arse.

Felix is actually a stage magician as well, which is one of the points where we are first told he can perform real magic as well. Now what happens when he’s performing at a birthday party during the firse scenes of the book is full of win for the vindictive way he deals with the spoiled birthday boy.

I’d give the first book 5/5 for now; I would have deducted half a point for the slow start like Amerision but I’m giving it back for what happens in the last few pages because that opens up so many interesting possibilities for the future books.

Well right now I’m off to order the next 2 books.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

5/5 for this conversation. He's talking to a succubus that nearly killed him btw. READ IT FAGGOTS.

4. Amerision

Just finished Book 3 of the Felix Castor series, titled Dead Men's Boots.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Mens-Boots-Felix-Castor/dp/1841494151

This one went down somewhat smoother and quicker than previous stories, owing, perhaps, to its shorter length and quicker pace. It's a bit different from the previous books in that it seemed to have more action and fast-paced plot than the meandering (though enjoyable) mysteries of the original.

In short, this story keeps you focused on the now rather than the whowhatwherewhenwhy, so that when the mysteries were solved, I felt that they were just an added bonus to an already enjoyable story.

As always, Mike Carey writes better than Jim Butcher yet somehow manages getting overshadowed by the overhyped and overblown writer of The Dresden Files. If you're looking for a more intelligent, serious Harry Dresden, give Felix Castor a try.

5. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I read this a few weeks ago. It was enjoyable, though I must admit I was somewhat annoyed by Juliet, and (ironically, since this is me we are talking about) he lesbian relationship. I don't know why, but both of those things pissed me off.

6. JoseCuervo

JoseCuervo Squib

Amazing series, I finished reading Thicker Than Water (The 4th book in the series) a few weeks ago. It was a lot more personal and showed a lot more background on Castor's childhood. The last book comes out tomorrow in the UK, I'm gonna try to import it.

7. Amerision

Finished the Fourth Book, Thicker than Water.

This story was slightly different, and, as JoseCuervo said, was deeply personal for both Felix and many other characters, including a glimpse of Juliet's existence in Hell.

The writing was superb, as usual, and is much more cerebral than the slightly self-contained and Monster-of-the-Book-ness of Book 3, and has greater implications for the rest of the series.

My only complaint is Juliet, who had turned into something of a MarySue... it's hard to believe she's vulnerable to anything. Her attitude also leaves something to be desired. Put simply, she's not a love interest, not an interesting character (anymore, her potential was squandered), and thrashes Felix far too much for my comfort. I wouldn't mind if Felix exorcised her... But it's clear Carey is keeping her around for something in upcoming books.

I just got Book 5 today, which is what reminded me to post again. If you haven't started at this point, there isn't any excuse not to anymore. Carey is putting these stories out on a less-than-yearly basis by now, and with Book 5 out, it's a long, pleasant read to look forward to.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  8. Amerision

Finished Book 5 actually a few months ago. It was a satisfying ending, but one that leaves it open to more if he so chooses.

Most underrated series mystery series I think.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Returning some other books to the library tomorrow -- will pick this up while I'm there if they have it. Looks pretty interesting. Glad you bumped it!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mr Mer recommended this series to me, so I read the first book, then the other four. I really like it. I would recommend it to anyone who likes the Dresden series - because this one is a lot better.

11. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I agree with all the above, but I was not annoyed by Julie's relationships because it would have been very boring if she had just went after Caster. It makes the readers want her to have him even more, and adds an extra dimension of complexity to her character that was otherwise not there before.

It's like she goes from being the cruel sexy bitch of the series to a sort of motherly figure to Felix, one that he desperately needs. Sure, not a perfect mother, but when Pen is off blaming him for that fiasco its Jules who keeps Caster sane.

It's too bad there aren't many other stories like this out there. The only other one I can think of is the Connor Gray series, but that has sex, sex, and more sex, and its not even the main character who is having it!

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Reading this now. I'm only partway through the first book, but I thought I'd stop by here to provide a quote that made me laugh out loud so to speak.

For some reason it seems like DLP would appreciate that comment.

Early impressions: It's not as good as the Dresden Files in my personal opinion, but I can see how the slightly different "feel" of the books would appeal to some people more.

Zero's description of what's to come later sounds disheartening, but I will see for myself. Oh, and Juliet sounds like she's going to suck. We shall see.

Great rec though, despite any further criticism I might offer I am enjoying the books. That's the most important thing, so thumbs up so far.

Edit: Oh Bloody hell, I just realized that... Juliet... gah, nevermind. Don't want to spoil things.

Last edited: May 12, 2010