View Full Version : A Year Like None Other by Aspen In The Sunlight - M

Narf
06-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Title: A Year Like None Other
Author: Aspen In The Sunlight
Rating: M
Genre: Snape/Harry mentor story Angst/Action
Pairing: None (so far, 77 chapters)
Summary: In Harry's 6th year, a letter from home sends him down a path he'd never have walked on his own.
Link: http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=5036

Dark Syaoran
06-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I'll have to check this out soon, could be a winner.

77 chapters and no pairing yet for Harrikins? Awww, all work and no play makes Harry a dull boy :P

Narf
06-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Haha, yeah, it's refreshing to find a story without any pairings. If you read the story, you'll understand why Harry hasn't been with anyone. I'll just tell you this, he missed much of his sixth year due to a loss in his magic. He gets it back in an interesting way. Well, he doesn't exactly lose his magic, he just has trouble getting it out.

LT2000
06-07-2005, 12:30 AM
I seem to vaguely recall reading most of what was posted for this story a while back. Very good, definitely one of the better Harry and Snape fics out there. I typically don't like those stories, but this is an exception.

Midknight
06-07-2005, 12:45 AM
it was pretty good back in the day before it got yanked off of FF.net. I just can't be bothered with the Yahoo group to keep reading, lol.

Dark Syaoran
06-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Yeah, to bad its still not on FF.Net, makes it a whole lot easier if its there. Still... Harrikins still needs SOME action ;)

Lord Ravenclaw
06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
It was on FF.Net, but for some reason FF.Net tore it down, and now the author refuses to post it there again.

LT2000
06-07-2005, 02:10 PM
If I had to guess the reason, it would probably be the whole torture scene at Halloween. That shit was pretty extreme.

Midknight
06-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah someone complained it was way too much for the rating it originally had, yet I've seen fics WAY worse, with lower rating not be bothered.

FF.net's enforcement is absolute ******** at times.

Dark Syaoran
06-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I second that

Antivash
06-08-2005, 08:37 PM
enforcement? ... pfft... i wish.. they dont enforce anything.. three complaints .. for ANYTHING .. even as simple as SPELLING THE as TEH ... can get your story pulled... <__< fucking insane stupid and ... ridiculus!

Narf
06-08-2005, 09:22 PM
enforcement? ... pfft... i wish.. they dont enforce anything.. three complaints .. for ANYTHING .. even as simple as SPELLING THE as TEH ... can get your story pulled... <__< fucking insane stupid and ... ridiculus!

Well, yes, in this case it was stupid. But there are stories out there that deserve to be deleted. I dunno, I heard someone was trying to get a group together to check all complaints before they are deleted. That might work.

Midknight
06-08-2005, 10:19 PM
I think the whole site in general needs to be redone. There's no blatantly obvious well laid out FAQ for what is allowed, and what is not. It's just generaly, rated M means anything goes,... until someone complains that is.

-mati-
06-19-2005, 07:42 AM
this is one of my favourite fics of all...i think its top notch

it got pulled because sombody was complaining repeatedly that it was inappropriatly rated (which i dont fink it is). this is the problem with ff..net...if one person has a problem with ur fic all they have to do report 3 times and its gone.

yo the one who cudnt be bothered to check out the yahoo group...ye thats not cool, but she has now a site for it go to owl.touri.org...and it will hook you up....you really should this story is so great.

-mati-

realmess
09-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Yeah, this one is like one of the best fictions I've read, but reading it on the new archive is awful. I had problems with getting the next chapter.

About that 'protest page' I think I have a link to it somewhere. Anyone wants to sign it? Should i post it here? :?:

Piccaboo!
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Must say; this is definitely a fic worth checking out, Aspen really knows his stuff.

Chapter 91 was great, it had a lot of lines that cracked me up. one of my favorites is Lucius Malfoy trying to be courteous;

"Just have a seat and pretend you aren't a filthy little half-blood with no notion of proper manners..."

and what is it with the DE's obsession with Harry's eyes? Poor bloke.

Narf
02-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Yeah, this fic was really going down the drain in the last, uh, 10 chapters or so. But the last one was good. I can't believe anyone liked the chapters before though, they were all filler. It was full of extranneous shit like Harry getting picked on by his Defense professor because he speaks Parseltongue. Her followers full of sheep are starting to annoy me so much that I avoid her Yahoo group.

And that new video that that lady made for her with Kelly Clarkson's song, "Because of You"? That was fucking stupid. For one thing, it had nothing to do with AYLNO. The song is about how lost a little girl is because her father left her and her mom ignores her. I swear, people just see Alan Rickman and Tom Felton and cream their pants. Does anyone actually listen to the lyrics? They're all sheep I tell you, all sheep. :evil:

nonjon
02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Is this still a sixth year fic? I'm guessing from the title it's only covering a single year, but after 650,000 words you'd think it'd be done by now.

I'm just curious. I skimmed like a half dozen chapters back on fanfiction.net (Snape was all Snape like and the author I think expected us to like that character...he stole a letter from Petunia or something) and while I'm sure, with the way everyone talks, that it's a wonderful magnificent amazing fic, I don't even have the slightest interest in reading this. And at 650,000 words, I wouldn't even read it if you paid me $10.

But is it really just 6th year? And not finished yet?

Narf
02-13-2006, 04:14 PM
The beginning chapters were great, she updated regularly almost every few days, and they were pretty long chapters as well. I think she made the transition from Snape acting like Snape to Snape getting to know Harry and start liking him as a person. What I liked was that the change wasn't immediate, and it was almost imperceptible. But after her fic went off ff.net she seriously started acting arrogant because of her huge following from just that fic. I don't think she knew before, but when she started her Yahoo group people started joining and talking almost immediately.

Yes, it does only cover one year. But to be fair, most of the fic is taking place outside of Hogwarts, or at least, outside of Gryffindor Tower and classrooms. So it's interesting, becomes average, then becomes tedious just to read it. It picked up the last chapter, but I'm not really interested in reading it anymore, that's how boring it has got.

Cervus
02-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Is this still a sixth year fic? I'm guessing from the title it's only covering a single year, but after 650,000 words you'd think it'd be done by now.

I'm just curious. I skimmed like a half dozen chapters back on fanfiction.net (Snape was all Snape like and the author I think expected us to like that character...he stole a letter from Petunia or something) and while I'm sure, with the way everyone talks, that it's a wonderful magnificent amazing fic, I don't even have the slightest interest in reading this. And at 650,000 words, I wouldn't even read it if you paid me $10.

But is it really just 6th year? And not finished yet?

This is one of the reasons that I haven't even started to read this fic. Yes, it could be a magnificent fic worthy of many awards, but don't you think that ninety odd chapters is over doing it just a teeny weeny little bit? Plus I don't want to dedicate many hours reading hundreds of thousands of words just to abandon it when I don't like the direction it's taking in chapter one thousand five hundred and fifty something or another.

ip82
02-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I just want to know a few things before considering reading this story:

Harry's character and his abilities.

Is he:

1) Wuss / crybaby?
2) Weak / not powerful?
3) Stupid / lazy in school / ignorant?
4) Ultra angsty / constantly getting hurt?

I could take one of these, maybe even two (if a story is really, really good). But more than that - no thanks.

nonjon
02-13-2006, 04:41 PM

Is he:

1) Wuss / crybaby?
2) Weak / not powerful?

I could take one of these, maybe even two (if a story is really, really good). But more than that - no thanks.

I'd think in a story this long it's inevitable that he is occasionally all of those things.

The fic last I remember was all about Harry and Draco and Snape. Snape playing Daddy and Draco playing brother. I think Harry actually lost his magic and needed Draco to teach him how to use it all again, etc... Can't get much weaker than that. But then again, I've not read it. So I should probably leave that to the people who will heartily recommend the fic.

Piccaboo!
02-13-2006, 04:48 PM

Is he:

1) Wuss / crybaby?
2) Weak / not powerful?

It varies along the chapters (as there's so many of them)
As nonjon said he sorta has problems tapping into his magic after a muggle operation, which is - acording to aspen - dangerous for magical ppl to do. But his magic was always there - just in a different form and highly powerful but with setbacks.

He does get hurt and tortured and almost dies and he's a bit angasty too. Actually I can't remember very much for it was quite a long time since I read the earlier chapters but if you're bored - it's a good read.

Dark Syaoran
02-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Too long to start reading now. I dont want to read 300 000 words then get bored with it.

TheIllusiveOne
02-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Any story where Draco teachers Harry something, or beats Harry at something is just gay.

Piccaboo!
02-13-2006, 10:55 PM
I said Draco tries to help - didn't say he did any good though.

bornagainpenguin
02-13-2006, 11:46 PM
And that new video that that lady made for her with Kelly Clarkson's song, "Because of You"? That was fucking stupid. For one thing, it had nothing to do with AYLNO. The song is about how lost a little girl is because her father left her and her mom ignores her. I swear, people just see Alan Rickman and Tom Felton and cream their pants. Does anyone actually listen to the lyrics? They're all sheep I tell you, all sheep. :evil:

Couldn't agree with you more on the video. Gah that was a piece of crap because of the song she used.

Apsen in the Sunlight has always had a bit of a swelled head IMHO, look at the way she tried to stand on 'principle' with her rating of the fic despite people complaining. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if she's the one FF.not admins are thinking about when they say warnings don't work.

Then like others have said she opens up the yahoo group and gets nothing but love from her fans... her head has completely swollen at this point! Also IMHO with the way the last few chapters have been her collaborating with her beta on the story...

I still read it eagerly each time there's a chapter release, but I'm looking forward to some kind of resolution soon. On the other hand you can't ask for a better slow progression from one thing to another than in this fic. It's THE answer to when people complain about fannon Draco, good in 30 seconds. In Aspen's fic he learns from his mistakes over time instead of all at once because he's hawt!

--bornagainpenguin

MadEyes
02-13-2006, 11:58 PM
I was a follower of this fic, but left it after Malfoyís hearing. Just seeing Harry angsting over ferret face and what not was a bit disconcerting. I'm not saying that itís a bad story, because it is really well written and has many original ideas, but it was becoming too thought-oriented and roundabout. One day I just couldnít be bothered to finish reading the next updated chapter, and I havenít picked it up since.

It was one of my favorite stories about a year ago, though. The fact that it still hasnít finished and has become so long just makes me wonder, how has the plot developed? Still, I'm not willing, nor do I have the time to read it again or even pick it up where I left off.

Narf
02-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Couldn't agree with you more on the video. Gah that was a piece of crap because of the song she used.

Apsen in the Sunlight has always had a bit of a swelled head IMHO, look at the way she tried to stand on 'principle' with her rating of the fic despite people complaining. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if she's the one FF.not admins are thinking about when they say warnings don't work.

Then like others have said she opens up the yahoo group and gets nothing but love from her fans... her head has completely swollen at this point! Also IMHO with the way the last few chapters have been her collaborating with her beta on the story...

I still read it eagerly each time there's a chapter release, but I'm looking forward to some kind of resolution soon. On the other hand you can't ask for a better slow progression from one thing to another than in this fic. It's THE answer to when people complain about fannon Draco, good in 30 seconds. In Aspen's fic he learns from his mistakes over time instead of all at once because he's hawt!

--bornagainpenguin

Yeah, its gotten to the point that when there's a new chapter out, I usually put it on hold for something else to read, or to browse these forums.

The Yahoo group really bloated her ego, and the people that ran Tauri helped it along by constantly praising her and reviewing her fic under different aliases so she would stop getting sad and demanding more reviews. And then there was that whole brouhaha with her taking Cambiare Podentes off and not even telling anyone why. That, I think, is one of the most arrogant things you can do.

On the subject of AYLNO again, I think she has some sort of sick fetish with Severus controlling Harry in some way or another. In this story he acts as a father, with Harry bowing to his almost every whim, and in Cambiare he literally enslaves Harry, and then falls in love with him.

My one big complaint of this story is that Harry is a pussy. He's powerful, but he still does everything Snape tells him to, adn then gets scared that Snape might un-adopt him because he's mad at him.

bornagainpenguin
02-14-2006, 04:49 PM
:O_O: Dude... you read Cambiare Podentes? OMFG!

--bornagainpenguin (who tries to hide his archived copies of that fic)

ip82
02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
On the subject of AYLNO again, I think she has some sort of sick fetish with Severus controlling Harry in some way or another. In this story he acts as a father, with Harry bowing to his almost every whim, and in Cambiare he literally enslaves Harry, and then falls in love with him.

My one big complaint of this story is that Harry is a pussy. He's powerful, but he still does everything Snape tells him to, adn then gets scared that Snape might un-adopt him because he's mad at him.

THANK YOU!

That's exactly what I wanted to hear to completely remove this fic from my to-read list. Glad I got that straight :-)

Unlike some, I can take both redeemed Snape and Malfoy, but not if Harry is acting lika a little bitch.

Narf
02-14-2006, 07:19 PM

Oh, HELL NO! I wouldn't go near that fic. I would rather read stained-future than that.

Piccaboo!
02-15-2006, 03:57 AM

Is that another fic of hers?

bornagainpenguin
02-15-2006, 09:11 AM

I take the fifth...

--bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin
02-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Heh... Speak of the devil--guess who just updated?

--bornagainpenguin

Narf
02-16-2006, 12:55 PM

Yes, Cambiare was a slash fic, Harry/Snape. Now, that might not seem that bad to invoke such a response from me and penguin, but trust me, it is. It's a fic in which Snape makes Harry his slave because they had to. And then Snape has 'sessions' in which he feels up a 17-year-old. I think he also gives him a bath.

penguin- I can't believe you even saved that horrible fic to your HD. But I think that that Yahoo group, AYLNO_CAMBIARE, might want those chapters.

The funniest part about it is, Aspen just took the fic off the net without explaining why. The Tauri staff was then subjugated to countless e-mails and posts asking why they took it off. And Aspen didn't even tell anyone why, she just never mentioned it. I was laughing the entire time, because it just proved how arrogant she is, and the fact that I hate the Tauri staff made it all the better.

Piccaboo!
02-16-2006, 01:11 PM

--bornagainpenguin

Yeah I just read her update.

[spoiler:e165e7edc6]I actually liked how Harry laughed at Lucius dying. Though the needle thing in the end... what the...?

OMFG,, he's going to have even more issues and poke himself with a needle instead of cutting,, isn't there enough with the selfpitying and angst?[/spoiler:e165e7edc6]

But if there is something i really like about this fic, it's the small funny comments. Some of them are just hillarius (I have a wierd humor - it's genetic - don't blame me)

P.S. Sorry about the spoiler

bornagainpenguin
02-17-2006, 01:21 AM
penguin- I can't believe you even saved that horrible fic to your HD. But I think that that Yahoo group, AYLNO_CAMBIARE, might want those chapters.

Nah... I don't have the chapters they're looking for. As for why I'd have bothered to save them? Simple I wanted to see where she was going with it. I'm afraid that I made a common mistake; I treated it like an experimental work and reserved my judgement while I waited for it to get better..

The funniest part about it is, Aspen just took the fic off the net without explaining why. The Tauri staff was then subjugated to countless e-mails and posts asking why they took it off. And Aspen didn't even tell anyone why, she just never mentioned it. I was laughing the entire time, because it just proved how arrogant she is, and the fact that I hate the Tauri staff made it all the better.

Her arrogance was caused by the fact she was one of the more 'famous' writers in the Harry Potter fanfic world to have been tossed off FF.not, naturally everyone was on her side and feeling defensive for her. Unfortunately her ego just kept growing and growing...

--bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin
02-17-2006, 01:22 AM

--bornagainpenguin

Yeah I just read her update.

I actually liked how Harry laughed at Lucius dying. Though the needle thing in the end... what the...?

OMFG,, he's going to have even more issues and poke himself with a needle instead of cutting,, isn't there enough with the selfpitying and angst?

But if there is something i really like about this fic, it's the small funny comments. Some of them are just hillarius (I have a wierd humor - it's genetic - don't blame me)

I haven't read it yet; please try not to spoil it for me!

--bornagainpenguin

Narf
02-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Agh, chapter 92 just proves how much of a weak shit (or shite as Aspen always spells is for some nonsensical reason) Harry is. I mean, he was fretting over killing Malfoy, even after he almost killed both of them! This is the best example of a spineless Harry. Gah, this story is becoming shit (or shite, if you prefer it that way).

bornagainpenguin
03-31-2006, 01:31 AM
[spoiler:12a18880a0]Agh, chapter 92 just proves how much of a weak shit (or shite as Aspen always spells is for some nonsensical reason) Harry is. I mean, he was fretting over killing Malfoy, even after he almost killed both of them! This is the best example of a spineless Harry. Gah, this story is becoming shit (or shite, if you prefer it that way).[/spoiler:12a18880a0]

I think she spells it shite by way of having read too many Andrew Greenley novels...or at least that's one other place I've always seen that spelling of the word...

Anyway, Chapter 95 is up and along with the notice in my email comes this little gem...

We anticipate that the story will have one more chapter and an epilogue, but I encourage everyone to remain in the yahoo group even after the story is finished -- so that when A Summer Like None Other begins to be posted, we can let you know!

As mentioned, Mercredi and I will be taking a break between Year 6 and Summer. But please do feel free to stick around in the Yahoo group so that we'll be able to find you when our creative batteries are recharged.

So even when this fic 'ends' it won't end... [sighs] and I really used to like this fic at one point, way back when it was first being written...

--bornagainpenguin (who keeps reading in hopes it will get better...)

PS: I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I doubt anyone wants me to post a new thread just to comment on a fic we already have a thread for...

The Lord of Chaos
02-18-2007, 03:11 AM
For those of you who wanted to read this but where waiting for it to end, the story is over. However a sequel that takes place during the summer is in progress.

Overall I really like this story, though I don't expect too many others to appreciate the story since Harry is very much, not independent. But It is a very good superpower Harry fic.

:mid3

Narf
02-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Wow. Hell of a bump, dude. But since it's a story, it's ok. :P Yeah, superpowered? Fuck no. He's a little bitch. I haven't even read the last chapter and the epilogue, so reading the sequel is out of the question now. The yahoo group is completely pointless, she deletes any thread that has a hint of criticism in it. The drama that went on in that group in it's prime was much, much worse than what just happened in DLP. This fic was promising in the beginning. But...yeah, emo Harry was a huge part of this story. She spent way to long on the fucking "Oh noes, I can't use magic anymore, o woe is me." arc of the story. Then she finally does something cool with the parsel magic, but then doesn't even spend to much time on that or trying to defeat Voldemort. Harry's biggest problems nearing the end were: 1) ZOMG I'm in both Slytherin and Gryffindor, what Quidditch team shall I play for now?! By the way, the whole thing with his being in two houses because of Snape? Bullshit. >_< 2) Draco might be feeling lonely and jealous! 3) Everybody hates me because of my parsel magic. :( 4) My DADA teacher is a dipshit. (Like that's fucking new, Jesus.) This used to be one of my favorite stories. Decent plot, extremely long and regular updates, good writing style, etc. Then she overplayed the family shit, and got a fucking huge ego after FFnet kicked her stories off and she made a yahoo group. After that, her story went to shit. She would go months without updating, whereas before, she would update at least once every two weeks, most of the time within a week. Sometimes within a day. Yeah, AYLNO went to shit. :\

japanese_jew
02-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Especially with the emo stabbing of the wrists. Bloody hell, just make him a cutter, you don't need your 31337 cutting. It's boring enough as it is.

CheddarTrek
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I just spent a bit of time catching up on this tale. I thought I'd come post links to the 2 sequels in case anyone is bored. (I did a google search of the site and didn't see them linked)

As for the series as a whole, I'd give it a 3/5 I think. It started off really strong actually, but went downhill at some point. There is far too much Angst over the family thing and Harry... well, he's... it's like he often acts younger than he is. Especially in his role as son. Other people in the thread have mentioned it better than I. The sequels are similar to the original in those aspects.

Harry is whiny and is far too concerned over what Snape and Draco think. He overreacts. There is drama manufactured from concern that Snape will "unadopt" him. Harry starts stabbing himself with needles, though I've long since forgotten why. Most of the drama and conflict is centered around Family, friends, or school -- we only have occasional issues with real threats like Voldemort.

I give it a 3/5 because it's got good grammar, tons of chapters, and even if I don't like where she takes the story sometimes it's still good enough for me to use to kill time.

A Summer Like None Other (http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=13093) -- COMPLETE. Family isn't everything, as Harry, Snape, and Draco discover in this sequel to A Year Like None Other. How will a mysterious mirror and a surprising new relationship affect a father and his two sons?

A Family Like None Other (http://archive.skyehawke.com/story.php?no=17466) -- Third story in the "Like None Other" universe. During his final year at Hogwarts, relationships will splinter as Harry confronts secrets long-buried and faces the greatest challenge of them all.