1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A new computer, does this price seem accurate?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Zombie, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Tiger Direct Link

I have really no idea what good hardware is.. But, the price of this seems fishy. The computer isn't for me personally, but rather a friend of mine...

They asked me for advice seeing how computer literate using Hot keys and Microsoft word makes me look...

Here's another one.

Of the two, which is a better deal, hardware wise, and usage wise.. They're both pretty cheap, and I think the catch is that they come without an OS.

2. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

Well, the first one comes with an OS, but has a slightly smaller hard drive and less ram, but the 2gb should be fine, if your friend doesn't want to play any hard core games or anything.

If your friend can install windows, the second one would be better, seeing as its $100 cheaper, and the cheapest vista costs around $100, you end up with better hardware for the same price.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Those deals aren't all that great. Decent-ish, but it sounds like these aren't exactly power users.

I know some will hate on Dell, but they're probably you're best bet for n00bs.

A few days ago there was this deal:

Which is bigger hard drive, more RAM, and a 19" LCD as compared to your first link at the same price. But I think that deal's already dead. Just peruse techbargains desktop deals here to find them something.

4. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

I go for build it yourself in desktops. Whilst I recommend Dell for Laptops.

Although Dell have some decent systems when using a voucher to get the cheap cheap stuff.

5. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Not sure about now, but Dell's outlet use to have some decent bargains.

I am still running the scratch and dent desktop I picked up $250 about 3-4 years ago... well, my mom is still running it.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

They're pretty intent on getting whats in the links.. I'm just trying to see which one would be the better deal for them...

I guess the low price is blinding them, that and using all those numbers is confusing them into thinking its amazing shit...

I think they intend to play some games on it, but something along the lines of Civs 3 or 4, or maybe Sins of a Solar Empire.

Thanks for the input...

7. Narion

Narion Slug Club Member

For Sins of a Solar Empire, they'd need a better graphics card than that, I think.

Dunno about the Civilization games, though.

Narion

8. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

350 Watt Power Supply

NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU

If they are wanting to game, it sounds like they are about to run into some headaches.