1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Animagus - Lame or Not?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by RustyRed, Feb 12, 2009.

1. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I ask this because I want to work it into my story--when I first read the books, I thought it was just about the coolest thing in the hp 'verse. But after having read it done so poorly so many times, I kind of wondering if it would be a big turn off.

As it is, it's worked into the plot, but it would be fairly uncomplicated to just amputate the whole thing.

So, thoughts? Do you guys like stories with animagi, or do they piss you off? Are there ways that you've seen it done particularly well or badly? Has the era of animagus subplots gone out of style?

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I don't find animagi especially interesting, perhaps because it's been done so much and so badly throughout fanfiction (Abraxan's stories come to mind), though if they aren't a main part of the story, I can overlook them. I'd recommend that you find something else to write about unless you have a novel way of doing them.

3. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Depends what you want to do with it. It might be nice party trick, maybe somewhat useful for spying or dodging law enforcement, but Harry using animagus transformation in battle is about as retarded as Harry with sword after compulsory ballet lessons.

4. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

I think that the first thing to ask is why you want the animagus transformation? I am not opposed to the idea out of hand but it needs to serve some purpose rather than just being a 'cool' thing in a story so Harry go go running/flying/swimming/crawling in the dirt with Lupin and taking a stress break before a hard battle.

If there is a good use for it, then sure but actually use it rather than it just being a random skill to make Harry more uber and talented.

As for the realm of battle, honestly I don't see an animal being much use, regardless of what it is. Any decent Death Eater, much less Voldemort was hardly be scared by anything short of a dragon and even then a good killing curse takes any animal out very quickly

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Unless you can think of some highly original, or unusual way in which to incorporate his animagus form, i'd honestly just scrap the whole idea.

6. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If you're going to use it, take your time to develop the skill. There's no "Marauders Ultimate Guide for Animagi" no matter how often some idiots try it.

Plus, I think that Harry should just become one to show that he can. After all how cool is that?

7. artenry

artenry Guest

I second this notion, but I add a cautionary caveat:

Don't go out of your way to explain every single nitty-gritty detail (scientific method included!) for the sake of the readers.

Unless you're writing a story that doubles as a treatise into the mechanics of magic, or it's somehow vital to the storyline, it just becomes too much.

8. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

If it's so easy to remove, you should remove it - in my opinion, anyway.

9. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

That's the only reason I can think of Harry becoming an Animagus. It's time consuming, and in most cases it is a fairly useless skill. I've fallen horribly behind on reading your story Rusty, so I can't even think of what type of animal would fit his character. Rita became one so she could spy on people, the Marauder's because of Lupin, and McGonagall probably became one because she liked Transfiguration. Most people don't bother.

I still think Animagus is cool, but I've seen too many Pheonix/Dragon/Basiliks/Lion transformations to be impressed with it anymore.

10. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I dunno... I've never been fond of the animagus thing because, of the same reason, that it's been really badly done in a lot of fics. It's always seemed like the extra skill Harry manages to pick up in between wandless magic and telepathy on one of those damned shopping trips, and you never bloody see it being used creatively or in a role that's necessary.

If anything, I think the Animagus technique needs to be used really creatively if you want to work it into fics these days. For instance, give it to somebody besides Harry - particularly a smart antagonist or a semi-useful protagonist - and work it into the plot really well, so that the Animagus role is appreciated.

Worst comes to worst, have Ginny become an Animagi only to discover that her animal form is the dung beetle.

And then have Harry 'accidentally' step on her.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Make Harry turn into a Marlin :awesome

12. Portus

Portus Heir

Wish I could remember the name of that one-shot where Ginny is giving Fleur an attitude and Fleur does the Veela equivalent of going apeshit and essentially flays Ginny alive before turning her into a spider. And of course, Ron squishes the spider. I think it was a Ginny Kill-Off entry, but I'll be damned if I can find a link or even a title to it. Oh well, it was funny as hell, anyway...

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I did something similar with antagonists Robért and Faucon in my story. (The former was a great cat, the latter, a falcon). I find animagi more interesting in foes than in friends.

The best use of animagi I've seen in fanfiction has to be in Blu Taiger's The Best Seven Years, a Calvin and Hobbes/Harry Potter crossover.
    Dinosaur animagus Calvin FTW.

Portus: Sisters in Law by Tinn Tam.

14. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This. If it's so easy to remove, it can't be that important in the first place. Your Harry already has an unusual talent, he doesn't need another I think.

I actually like angel's idea of making an antagonist an animagus. I don't think it's been done very often and it makes the enemy more important, more of a challenge. But preferebly not Voldemort or Bellatrix.

15. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

Not Harry!

Animagus transformations take forever to learn, so Harry learning it would be a little abrupt. Because of this, I don't think any character that we have seen a lot of in the books would be a good idea.

If you do decide to do this, make sure that there is a good reason for it, like Rita getting stories by being unnoticeable. A spy getting smashed would be cool though, it always seemed like a big problem with a bug form to me.

IMO you should just keep the animagus limited to the Bear guy that was on the Galleon and maybe one more.

16. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If Rusty is going to do it in Ectomancer, it almost has to be a water-dwelling creature that he becomes. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a story where Harry (or any character for that matter) even goes swimming, much less develops a fish animagus. I think it would fit with Ecto!Harry's character, although I have no idea what Rusty has planned.

As for animagi in general, it's been done so horribly in the past that most authors choose to leave it out of their story completely, unless they are speaking of characters that have already developed their skill--Sirius, Minerva, and Rita come to mind. Doing it just for the sake of having fun with it and relieving stress is a complete waste of an author's time.

The most important thing is to be original--That doesn't necessarily mean that your Harry has to become a platypus or something, just make sure that whatever he becomes has a purpose for the rest of the story. For example, you could make him a cow so that he can drink his own milk for nourishment.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

As long as you don't make him into a magical creature (or a made up magical creature, or more than one made up magical creature like a Thunderbird and a Dark Elf and a Death Dragon) I'm fine with it. As long as it fits within the plot, of course.

18. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

This is one of those cases where there's a fine line between "Harry Potter" and a Harry Potter fanfiction story.

I love the idea of an animagus form. And it can be a great quick cheat to give an explicit example of defining a character's attitude and personality.

But that doesn't mean it should be in YOUR fanfiction. Too often it's just a colossal waste of time and regurgitated crap with absolutely no effect on the story being told.

And it's just as bad when people tack on a cheap reason or excuse to incorporate an animagus form. Considering how abused and misused animagus forms are, I'd say unless it's a crucial aspect of your plot then get it the fuck out.

But if it is crucially important to your plot, then for god's sake make it something original or interesting.

EDIT: err... yeah what Averis and Mrs. Jolly Rancher said when I wasn't looking.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  19. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

The gauntlet has been thrown! I demand you find me such a story. :banana:

20. Sophie

Sophie Denarii Host

Oh dear, just where did THAT come from?

lol

On the animagus form: I agree with World and Grubdubdub. If it's so easy to remove it's not vital to the plot and therefore cannot end up as anything but a cliché. Your story is unique and Harry's talent original. He is not a Super!Harry which makes the read very enjoyable. Therefore, he would dwell much better without any fancy animagus superpowers. A water animagus is not necessary in my opinion since he can rely on the magic of the water spirits.

/Edit for sincostan: Naia has written an AU about Hogwarts as a ballett school. It's called "Dance!". However, I doubt there'll be swords in it.