1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Secret societies/Influence groups

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Feb 20, 2009.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Lately I've been doing some research on the topic of powerful, secret, influential groups (let them be religious or not; masonry, knights templar, illuminati, various cults, occult groups, enterprise lobbies, etc.) and how they appear in fiction, for an article I'm writing.

So, I got curious about how the theme's been depicted (if it's been depicted at all) in HP fanfiction. I'm looking for that. Hopefully good fics in the HP fandom about those kinds of groups.

2. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I hope you have the good sense to mention Foucault's Pendulum by one of my favorite authors, Umberto Eco, in your article. While not fanfiction, it's probably the granddaddy of fictional conspiracy writing. The ideas in Dagger and Rose of the role of the Rosicrucians/Order of the Rosy Cross and their ties to ancient alchemy were borrowed from there.

4. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Gentlemen Ushers of the Scarlet Rod isn't really a conspiracy theory or secret sect fic it's more of an OH GAWD ALIENS fic with a fairly badass Harry some amusing almost-smut and a big bad demon/old god thing who wants to get back into the world similar to the old ones in Dresden Files and the big baddie in Wheel of Time.

It's not a precise match to your description but the substantial portion of the independent Harry genre consists entirely of Harry trying to escape a manipulative Dumbledore's grasp and those under Dumbledore's control. It's Perfect Lionheart's Partially Kissed Hero where I think Dumbledore basically mind wipes the entirety of magical Britain by controlling all the obliviators and aurors.

There is a fic I've just spent some time looking for but couldn't find which is pretty poor but involves Harry as a twin-who-lived who is an elemental and joins a secret society made and controlled by a still-living Grindelwald.

Sorry I can't be more of a direct help in naming fics.

5. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I don't really know of any serious Secret Society HP fanfics. Persp's story is based on one, and semi-revolves around it, but that's the only one I can think of at the moment, though I'd also be interested in reading any others we can find.

And Persp, your endorsement of Eco put me onto a quote I like, and a book to buy when I pick Turn Coat in April. The book is The Name of the Rose, and the quote is the explanation he gives for choosing that title.

"...because the rose is a symbolic figure so rich in meanings that by now it hardly has any meaning left."

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The Name of the Rose is an outstanding book. You might want to invest in a guide with translations of the passages if you're not fluent in Latin and French. A lot of the mystery of the books lies buried within and you'll miss about half of what's going on.

I think there was an old Sean Connery film based on the book. It's been almost 20 years since I saw it; it wasn't terrible, from what I recall, though it did simplify the plot a great deal.

7. Esus

Esus First Year

Noir et Blanc by The Morrigu
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3413729/1/

Here's another secret society story where they're trying to "fix" the wizarding world. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated in seven months and if I remember correctly it left off just as the behind-the-scenes group was about to make their changes.