1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Dagger and Rose by Perspicacity - M (Harry/Fleur - Complete)

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Vates, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Vates

Vates Squib

Title: Dagger and Rose
    Author: Perspicacity
    Rating: M
    Genre: Suspense/Romance
    DLP Category: AU or Romance
    Pairing: Harry/Fleur
    Chapters: 17
    Words: 85,199
    Updated: May 7, 2008
    Published: March 24, 2008

Summary: Dumbledore acts decisively on the second prophesy at the end of Harry’s third year and rescues Harry from his relatives with an offer of apprenticeship. From him, Harry learns a rare form of magic, Runescriving, based on alchemy and which forms the basis for much of Dumbledore's and Voldemort's power. Unfortunately, this draws the attention of a secret society who guard this information jealously and who seek to eliminate Harry. During his training, Harry meets an aloof, lonely, quarter-veela witch and the two strike up a friendship that eventually blossoms into something more. Matters are complicated by Fleur's arranged betrothal to a man she does not truly love and her family's close association with the very group trying to do Harry in. Harry suffers alienation from his peers, assassination attempts on multiple fronts, the travails of the Tri-Wizard tournament, and growing pains as he discovers who he is. Later chapters rated M for language and adult situations.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4152930/1/Dagger_and_Rose/

For me, it is rare to find a good, or even somewhat decent Harry/Fleur fic, so when I stumbled across this one I was very pleasantly surprised. Not only is the story interesting, it has a semi-unique plot, good characterization and the author has a good sense of humor. Also, the author actually has some talent for writing. Solid grammar and punctuation. He doesn't overuse his commas and he has a way of using phrases you don't see very often. (i.e. "an apotheosis of the sublime.") That, and he does it without seeming to try too hard or putting them in the wrong places.

He is considering writing a sequel and I would like to see it so I thought if he got a few more reviews he might be more motivated.

I would give the story a 4.5/5

Checked by Minion, February 4, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I vaguely remember Perspicacity (you forgot to put his author name in the thread title) asking for the story not to be posted in For Review in his Work By Author thread, but I might be wrong. If I'm not, I'd ask him whether he wants the thread to remain.

I was actually indifferent to the romance - Fleur just never seemed an alluring character. The advantage was that the misfortune that befell her never elicited much emotional response from me.

The only qualm I have is that the ending is, while not entirely arbitrary, offers minimal closure. Perspicacity concluded the fourth year, yes, but Voldemort isn't dead and the Rosicrucians are still at large.

As long as there's a sequel. :mrgreen:

Definitely library-worthy. You can immediately sense that this is one of those different fics. The writer knows what he's doing and it's palpable. There are some scenes that were underwhelming compared to others, and plot decisions that might seem disagreeable, but that didn't matter to me. 5/5.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Oho. I like this fic already >_>

C'mon, Pers, it belongs in the library. It'll get there, you see. 4.5/5, as above; rounded to a 5 for novel rune magic and rating purposes.

4. Vates

Vates Squib

Err... right. Fixed that, and I'll contact Perspicacity as soon as FF.net stops being stupid.

Also, I had the same feeling. You could tell right away that the author knew what he was doing and that was not just some trash fic. The best part is that he stays consistent like that through the entire story.

5. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Why contact him on FF.net when you can PM him on DLP?

And yeah, I had the fortune to read this one in a couple of different incarnations. As Andro said, Persp really knew what he was doing. I'd compare his skill to nonjon, and coming from me that's a high compliment (nonjon is one of my favorite authors of fiction in general, just based on his HP ff.) Anyway, for developing real characters, a harsh setting, an intricate plot, and coming up with a fairly original set of antagonists, I'll give this a 5/5.

And Brian, I'll still kill you if you don't write the sequel.

6. Mr. Ripley

Mr. Ripley Third Year

It is a pretty good read. The originality is a huge plus, but there are a few places I didn't really enjoy. I'm a huge Harry/Fleur fan, but at the same time, I find most fanfiction stories very unrealistic in that Harry meets and dates the love of his life the first time. I prefer a little dating around before the main ship sets sail in most cases anyway. Other than that, I can't really think of any other complaints except for the lack of a sequel. I didn't really care for the misfortune that happened to Fleur because I like Fleur as a character, but that isn't something I really feel like factoring into a rating because I'm sure people gave him enough crap over that when they reviewed his story.

I'd give it a 4.5/5 rounded to a 5 for rating purposes as well, but since my browser is dumb and doesn't support the ratings system used on this forum to rate threads all you get is my post telling you this because I can't rate the thread unless someone knows something about chrome that I don't, or I install another browser which I don't want to do because I get too many pop-ups from opera, firefox and IE.

7. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought this was already in the bloody library...

Edit: I really wish this was in third-person past.

8. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Almost all my thoughts have already been said either in here by others or myself in the actual WBA thread, so I won't rewrite them.

I have one real issue with it: it was as if Pers only wrote the minimal amount of scenes. I don't want several chapters worth of filler, but a few more scenes would have aided in the characterisations and helped us - the reader - to care more about the characters in general. As it is now, it's a little too much to the point for a multi-chaptered story.

That said, it's still worth 4.5/5.

9. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't like stories without happy ending. I didn't like conspiracy theory in this story either
    But besides that, it was really pleasurable read.

I forgot one thing, I didn't like magic system there, either. Imperius is fucking most potent will bending spell, deal with it.

4/5 from me.

On a side note, with the amount of referrals this story gets in Introduction forum you'd think it was already in the Library...

10. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yea Pers~ said that, I believe in the D&R WbA thread. I didn't actually bother to find it as that thread is some 28 pages though.

11. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    He probably doesn't want it posted in For Review because people will be hounding him for a sequel. I can't really blame here there.

As I remember, this was a great story though...

12. Vates

Vates Squib

I talked to Pers via PM and he said everything was alright. He mentioned that he had asked originally to not have it posted because he didn't want to have to deal with the criticism but he is alright with it now. As for criticisms, I sure don't have many and my opinion seems to be shared by the majority. :)

Great story Pers

13. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Sorry, I've been out for a couple days.

I don't believe that's quite how I phrased it, but I won't pick nits. At the time, I felt the general sentiment on the site was to shit-can the story. I didn't want it ending up in the Recycling Bin (or worse), so I asked then not to have it put up for consideration. Now that it's been out for awhile, I think the story can be judged on its merits (meager as they may be).

For those who care, a sequel is in the works, but I'm still only in the outlining stages. I'm sort of stoked about another story idea (a HP/Battle Royale crossover) and am debating with myself which of the two to take up next.

14. athousandyears

athousandyears First Year

FUCK. Yeah. Please do the crossover. It would be epic to have a Battle Royale with wizards.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Gah, Pers. Quit that shit. Preemptiv humbling is fine and all, but you're overdoing it. Go get yourself a bigger ego ;) I said it then and I said it now; it's not a crapfic, and it belongs in the library. It would have made it back then as well. FFS, this thread is at 4.81 atm. Learn2trust the starz :p

Then, news about the sequel are very welcome. Should you need help in certain matters --> PM; you know that.

Edit:
    Yes, actually. I noticed that as well; especially since it's the very opposite to how I write -- very extensive, including many things that aren't really necessary. I've been recently trying to cut that somewhat.

Still, while I would've liked to see more -- I think I remember telling you right at the beginning that it felt a little ... disjointed, for exactly that reason; the scenes felt a bit tacked together, with nothing transitory in-between -- it wasn't something I terribly minded.

If I remember right, it is somewhat your style; since you don't really like writing scenes that have no direct purpose for the story?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  16. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

The story is library worthy. I'm reluctant to give it 5 stars, but find myself with no other choice but to vote that way because D&R is a lot better than stories I consider to be worth 4 stars.

17. Freelancer

Freelancer Fourth Year

Defenitely library worthy, the best completed H/F so far and I have absolutely no problem in giving it 5/5. The news about the sequel is also welcome and I think many DLPer will be eagerly awaiting it release.

18. Maro

Maro Third Year

I didn't realise this wasn't already in the library; it definitely deserves to be in there.

I think this is one of the <10 stories I've read that I'd rate at 5/5.

Really looking forward to the sequel, too.

19. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Pers you really need a bigger ego, this is DLP remember? I know I was probably one of the people you thought would vote it down since I did give some reviews that were critical and there were some parts I didn't like. Overall though the fic is really good. I'll give it a 4/5 and some advice, stop trying to cater to your audience Pers. Write what you want and tell them to fuck themselves if the whine.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    5/5 from me, I loved it. I do need to reread it, but I am still reluctant to, as of the rape scene. :p