1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Butcher On Mab's Voice...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Ok, so i've been over on Butcher's site, mostly to get my shot of Dresden (or Dresden speculation which is equally as fun) when I ran across an interesting thread.

Persephone, a forum member there, was nursing a theory that Mab isn't going insane--she's wounded.

Jim replied in the same thread, saying:

Quote:
    Quote from: Persephone on February 23, 2009, 10:55:46 PM

But the thought that really hit home, especially considering the intensity of her wrath in the final scene at the church...
    Mab's not going crazy... Mab's been wounded.

Jim's Reply:

Woot. [​IMG] I love it when you guys work things out!

Oh, and Mab's not using a mouthpiece because she's incapable of speech. She could talk all she wanted--as long as she didn't mind killing the people she was trying to communicate with. Suffice to say that the whole "words can never hurt me" thing just doesn't apply to angry Faerie Queens. [​IMG]

Jim

Anyway, the full thread can be found here:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,10920.0.html

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I'd thought about making a new thread for this, but this thread seemed good enough. No point in having two threads for very similar topics, right?

These are Jim Butcher's replies to who could fight Mab.

And finally, a list of people who could.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The name that stood out at me there is Drakul. I wasn't expecting him to be there. He's the father of Dracula/the Black Court, isn't he? So a powerful Black Court vampire?

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

He's the father of Dracula, who had a moment of teenage rebellion, and ran of to the Black Court. According to Eb.

Drakul himself is a scion. That is, Half human, and half something else. What that something else is, though, has not been stated.

Drakul and Dracula both have origins in the word dragon, though. So he might be a half dragon. However, that is just speculation on my part.

5. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Drakul was/is half-demon, half-mortal. Kincaid, his right hand, was called the 'hand of the devil' and the 'hand of the dragon' (stated in Dead Beat, but I don't have the page to hand). The dragon comment might not mean much, because Drakul literally means dragon.

It's possible that Drakul's name is also literal, I suppose. Ferrovax mentions (in Grave Peril) that dragons can appear to be whatever they choose.

Edit: Random thought...if dragons can be anything they want, I wonder what that means for the TC beastie from the sample chapters. Or what it means for an Outsider-possessed wizard with the capabilities, even. Of course, these are just random thoughts, so I wouldn't read too much into them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Since Kincaid was Drakul's right hand man it makes you wonder just how powerful Kincaid really is. Not in his human form but the form that Dresden saw with his sight.

7. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Who knows. But, at the very least, he's good enough to (on the fly) come up with a plan (that would probably work if not for main character plot armor) that would kill Dresden, take out quite a few Red Court vamps without pausing or slowing down, and kill a large number of Fallen-possessed humans (more then anyone else in that book, if I remember correctly), single-handedly turning the Denarians (previously a dangerous threat to both Dresden and the Knights of the Cross) into extras in an Action Film.

Without any apparent supernatural powers. And nothing bout mortal weaponry.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Given his aversion to physical, straight forward fights, I'd say not exceptionally, considering the company he would have been around. That isn't to say he couldn't easily wtfpwn any living wizard at the moment.

But he did get the shit beat outta him in Small Favor. And that was just a few Denarians. If none of them are mentioned in the list with people like Drakul, even as an entirety like the White Council, White Court, and Red Court, Kincaid is likely to be lower on the totem.

No less dangerous, but physically weaker. Because you can be the baddest mother fucker out there, but a knife between the ribs is a knife between the ribs.

Kincaid's always struck me as the sort of cloak and dagger, assassin type, rather than the straight forward power play.

9. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

Actually, I think he's pretty strong. He'd had some meeting with Ebenezar, and worked with Drakul before the weaponry he uses now was invented, so he had to do something to fight.
    I say he's a physical beast(lolmurphy), in the literal sense. He restricts his strength to retain a human form, because he doesn't like being that demon shown in the soul-eye thingy, which is probably rife with symbolism I can't be bothered figuring out.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That last bit is a load of bollocks. I've yet to see him show any sort of self-depreciation. Or at least I don't remember any.

As to Ebenezar/Kincaid... The lists mentioning Drakul and the White Council specifically states "The ENTIRE council." Meaning every single wizard alive. Not the White Council plus Ebenezar.

Compared to a single wizard? I'd bet he'd tear through hell. But there are things bigger and badder.

And as for the weaponry... The first recorded crossbow as created and used somewhere between 300 and 100 BC. And if you watch the History channel enough, you know there were some creative ass niggers. Hell, the chinese had rocket launchers before anyone even know what a GUN was.

Saying Kincaid couldn't have been an assassin because there were no rifles is stupid.

11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

He is all the more dangerous because he was an assasin before guns were invented. Kincaid probably knows more ways to kill people and more about weapons than anyone else on the planet.

12. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Bows and arrows, crossbows, throwing knives, regular knives, poisons, drugs, etc.

All things with which one can kill someone if they know what their doing, without incredible physical strength.

Though I feel the need to remind you that in Blood Rites, Kincaid kicked down that door with one shot, and in Small Favor, killed those creatures at the station, took their axe things, and killed an indeterminate number of them.

13. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not to mention flinging himself a good distance down a hallway with one leg and arm out of commission. Far greater strength and tolerance to pain then your average mortal, which in the greater sense really isn't saying much.

14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I never really meant physical strength. Theres more than one type of power. Just because he hasnt used it doesnt mean he doesnt have power. Public knowledge of your abilities would not be a great thing for Kincaid who probably has more than a few enemies.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Well...

We know for a fact that he crossed over some line and pissed Eb 'Blackstaff' McCoy the fuck off.

And wasn't annihilated. I guess that counts for something, right?

16. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Considering that said Blackstaff pulled a satellite out of orbit and wiped out that Red Court noble and almost all of his lackeys that's saying something.

17. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Seriously. Don't underestimate Eb the Blackstaff.

What he can do:

What he has done:

18. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

One thing that should be noted is the Tunguska Event was a detonation of about 10-15 megatons about 1000 times that of Little Boy the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. It was caused by a small meteor impact. That mean not only can he pull a satellite out of orbit he can do the same thing with a meteor which would be much harder to do given its speed.

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not necessarily. If he could latch on to it far enough away just a change of a few degrees would put it on a collision course with Earth. The magic of the spell would guide it down to the correct area after the initial correction, with the really tricky part being finding a meteor of the correct size that was on a course somewhat in the direction of Earth.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which in itself is interesting. Is not a wizard's magic somehow linked with the Earth/life? How far into space does it work?