1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Revamped Full Metal Alchemist

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Anlun, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

So apparently they're bringing back Full Metal Alchemist, and it will follow closer to the manga.

There's only a 15 second spot on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfZcXo5F-X8

but it looks decent.

Thoughts?

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I haven't even finished the old series... I'll watch it I guess.. It'd be interesting.

3. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I hope it does follow the manga more.

4. Replay

Replay First Year

I always liked the manga better, but I still wish they would continue with their original story line. It's not like a bit of color and animation will drastically alter my opinion of...anything. In the end, I'm going to walk away with the story in my head, and I say, the more the merrier :D (But either way, yaaay~)

5. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I haven't read the manga. I enjoyed the FMA anime, although I felt the OVAs had a tendency to fail.

This could be good, we'll see how it goes I guess.

[Edit] Now that youtube seems to be finally working and I've watched the video, it seems that they have resurrected Major/Colonel Hughes dunno how that works or is going to work.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  6. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I actually liked the anime, I haven't read the manga but I've glanced at the storyline occasionally. From my limited perspective the manga is long and overly complicated, neither of which usually translate well into anime. I liked that the original anime was only 50 episodes. Something you could watch that wasn't an ordeal to get through like Naruto is.

Who knows, maybe it'll be better. You never know, I'll probably check it out when it comes out but I'm not sure how closely I'll follow it.

7. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I think this isn't a continuation of the original anime but a whole new series that will start from scratch but follow the manga more closely (I.E. the whole Father being the true bad guy and being some weird amorphous creation made from the blood of Edward's dad). I never really read the manga too much but did follow the story and it is pretty interesting and darker.

8. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

If I had to choose whether or not I was going to pay for something like that, I'd be extremely wary. It seems they are going to run off the success of the FMA anime and use that to run essentially a very similar show but that sticks a little closer to the original plotline in the manga so they can save money on screenwriters.

This is definitely one that I won't waste my time or bandwidth downloading to watch first. I might watch it at work when things are being really dull but I don't think I'm prepared to put the effort into what could be a cheap rehash.

9. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

The manga has some pretty significant divergences. I don't see it as a rehash, I see it as a reboot, which could be win or fail depending on how it's done. I like the story of the manga more than the anime so that's why I like it.

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Wonder if [AS] picks it up.

11. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At some point, probably. Of course, they'll just air it at 5 a.m.

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Trust me, if this follows the manga it will not be a rehash. The original FMA anime follows about 20% of the manga storyline.

13. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Yet at the same time from what I hear they're doing a 52 episode run? I'm not exactly sure how much they'll fit in that or what we'll lose from the original anime. Though I guess there were some unneeded fillers.

14. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

There's also going to be a re-airing of Dragonball Z, except now in HD.

Anyway, I have hopes for FMA2, but not much else considering that most of my hopes regarding anime tend to get squashed.

15. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Anyone else dissapointed about the character designs and overall art of the anime, it's alot more like Soul Eaters than I thought it was going to be. The first version seemed alot more mature and darker due to the design.

Still, the combat animations look like they're going to be great judging from the opening and water alchemist fight.

Still, I'm glad they didn't have the first episode be the same as anything we had before except with upgraded animation. Next week we'll see the same old I guess.

17. liath

liath Seventh Year

This episode was rather disjointed. They were trying to do too much with a single episode.

But I suppose that's to be expected. It's only anime.

In any case, I'll be looking forward to the rest of the revamped series.

18. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Thanks for the link Kalas.

It was actually really good. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did, first episodes don't tend to be as pleasant as this, usually this is because they act as pilots so it's more about drawing your audience in then foreshadowing the rest of the series. I like this lighthearted shonen stuff so I think I'm really going to enjoy the new FMA if it stays in this vein.

Lust is cooler than ever. Hopefully she won't die in such emo fashion this time around.

[Edit] Alright I don't usually watch the little sneak peeks for the next episode, this one is a lot more pilot like than I thought, we're going back to the beginning with the next few episodes. The frequent allusions to Winrey also make me think she'll be a bigger character this time around.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  19. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Eh I thought it was okay. New start. cant exactly judge based on one ep.

20. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I liked it but the artwork was a bit disappointing. I preferred the darker look of the old one. Still I liked the manga and this looks to be following it so I'll stick with it.