1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about Harry/Astoria

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by athousandyears, Feb 27, 2009.

1. athousandyears

athousandyears First Year

So I've been thinking about writing a story with Astoria Greengrass in it. Daphne's a favorite, so I thought, why not Astoria? She's only two years younger than Harry, so it's not impossible for them to meet while attending Hogwarts. I know she married Draco in canon, but hell, let's ignore that one bit.

I was thinking that Astoria could be the eccentric one of the family - not unlike Sirius being the black sheep of his family - but to a lesser extreme. She doesn't altogether renounce the Dark Lord, but believes that someone could do much better. She'll still be portrayed as a Pure-Blood aristocrat, but she'll be willing to help Harry become more refined and knowledgeable of wizarding customs.

I sort of want it to start off as a tentative "friends only" relationship, where Astoria becomes Harry's first true "Slytherin" friend. And eventually, Harry and Astoria realize there's something more to it than "just friends".

Anyway, now I'm just ranting. What do you think? And yes, I would stay away from Mary-Sue Astoria.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Slightly better than an OC, but if you think you can pull it off, then go ahead. I'll read it if ya write it. Also, a story does need a plot. Not just a pairing.

3. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I don't know if it's counted as a cliche yet but the Harry/FemSlytherin where she helps him adapt to a role in prominent pureblood society has been done before.

That said I think I'd still enjoy it, regardless if it is considered a cliche by this stage or not.

I'm very wary of this idea. It has a teen romance movie feel about it that immediately puts me off and it too has been done before with Daphne.

The Harry/FemSlytherin genre is fairly small so there's plenty of room for a few more cliche ridden fics before it starts getting old. But the fewer the cliches the more positive the reviews on this forum tend to be.

Overall if you can maintain a high standard of writing, even if there are a few cliches as long as you can avoid drifting too deeply into teenage romance then this should meet with some success.

An idea to consider might be that Harry/Astoria get to know eachother at Hogwarts, through said learn 2 pureblood sequence of events but are then estranged by the escalation of the war. Timeskip Harry in say not an unhappy marriage with Ginny and Astoria in a very unhappy marriage with Draco could lead to some interesting places.

Harry may not want to leave Ginny (he's got her pregnant, he's noble, whatever) but Astoria is desperate to get away from Draco, so she rekindles her friendship with Harry and then that friendship leads to something more. Harry realises being with Astoria is so much hotter than being with Ginny, Astoria gets away from fag/Draco. Maybe a happy ending with Harry/Astoria, maybe not (Astoria gets pregnant, has baby, baby has green eyes and messy hair BUSTED).

That's just a little plot bunny that popped into my head that I decided to elaborate on. Either way I'm always up for more well-written Harry/femSlytherin.

4. athousandyears

athousandyears First Year

Veryyyyyyyyy interesting. I laughed out loud when you mentioned fag/Draco. And yes, now that you mention, it does sound a bit like a bad teen-romance flick.

I'll try and avoid making it sound that way.

As for plot =/ Not really sure yet about what to write. I was just intrigued with the Astoria/Harry idea, haha.

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I wrote a Harry/Astoria once, though it never got onto the web.

The problem is obvious OCness. I credit Big D with making Daphne... well, Daphne. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that most people read News, and that's where Ice bitch! Daphne actually comes from. Thing is though, the fact remains that outside the fanboy aspect of what amounts to a very specific Harry/Fem!Slytherin OC, most of the stories that are Harry/Daphne suck, and suck in a big way. Because most are writing it for the sole purpose of Harry/Daphne and a bit of evil, and have no intent to progress beyond this. There are a few exceptions - Flamata, wherever you are you nonupdating bastard - but for the most part Harry/Daphne could be control-F'd into Katie or Cho or Ginny and 99% of the readership would disappear/call the author a useless douche.

Astoria exacerbates the problem because of Draco. I imagine it would be very, very easy to make a very, very awful Harry/Astoria fic. Because the temptation will be to abandon any actual progression and plot in exchange for a quick shag, a dark!Harry/Slytherin, and giving the bird to the 'canon' Draco/Astoria pairing. Because really, other than that, she's not a character. At all.

My advice is to stay away from Astoria if you intend to write anything that isn't grautitous smut, or unashamedly bashing. Anything where the ship is only part of a much deeper plot is only going to run into more problems than are worth undertaking, and it's not like we don't have a massive list of one-step-away-from-OC wmnz in the Potterverse to choose from.

Now, all that being said, someone write lulz that involves Harry going back in time and cockswiping every woman that is/was/would be in Draco's life. Harry/Narcissa, Harry/Astoria... could even have a Pansy killoff half way through.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  6. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Someone wrote a drabble once about Harry saving Astoria from Death Eaters during the Dark Mark sequence.

Talking about Time Travel, what about Astoria or Daphne travelling back in time in order to make life more comfortable?

7. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Another thing you could do with the plot, take Meatz baby idea, and everyone's pissed off at the two lovers, and they try to wade through all the mud being thrown at them. I guess it'd be a sappy way to go with that, and most probably won't like it.

Or you could mix it up, Draco and Ginny get together with each other while Harry and Astoria are doing this, and you've got a Maury show with a Jerry Springer episode put together. Could turn into either a sappy story, or a humorous "we all cheated on each other" thing.

Or you could have the idea that they got together because their spouses are just lousy in bed. IE: Ginny - The dead Fish In Bed. And Draco - The Small Dicked Ponce.

8. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

If you write it I'll read it.

Maybe you should do it AU post-war. Harry won, but things didn't turn out as well as it did in canon?

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

That would be a good one, I have to admit. Make it sound worse than it was in canon, because lets be honest, it wasn't that realistic. A tragety story is nice once in a while

10. Anya

Lots of people die in the war, including Hermione and Ron, but somehow Draco survives. This pisses Harry off and he goes out of his way to fuck up Draco's life, which includes boning his girlfriend? And then they fall in love or something.

Eh, I don't know. Do as you please.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  11. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    He's boning Draco's girlfriend, and she falls in love, while he's just boning her because she's Draco's girlfriend.

Or: They do fall in love, Draco finds out that they've been together and has her killed. You know, the "tragety".

Or: Ginny is so selflessly in love with Harry that he can't stand it and wants someone who is so ruthlessly self-centered everyone else in the world hates her.

As you can see, there are many different ideas that can be used here.

12. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I agree. I do like Anya and Averis's ideas. Should go with one of their routes. Would be fun to see.

13. Calen

Calen Fourth Year

Lol'd at this. How about Harry seduces Astoria wife of Draco, then does the same to Narcissa separately playing on her feelings of being forgotten and alone. Then he gets them together in the bedroom and arranges for Draco(who has just seen his rentboys Colin and Dennis Creevy) to come in just as they're finishing.

14. Anya

Didn't Colin die in the Battle of Hogwarts?

15. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yeah, Colin died.

16. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I never liked post Hogwarts. Time travel, that is where the action is at!

17. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ...Who cares? On with the show!:banana:

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nope, Flamata is still a Daphne fanwank.

Anyway, I see no reason to write Astoria, given that Daphne is an empty shell already. All you get with Astoria is her being 2 years younger and a different name. Otherwise you've got a blank slate - just as you would have with writing any of a number of girls in Harry's year.

19. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

But Taure life can be pumped into her, via Harry's semen.... 8D

Sounds like a typical Harry/OC. Lets see what'choo got for some plot thar, hmm?

20. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've seen Harry/Ginny and Harry/Luna, but I've never seen one where he hooks up with a girl two years younger than him. Seventh year HP w/ Fifth year AG? Of course, Harry didn't have a seventh year in canon, and neither did Draco, so maybe the most logical portrayal of Astoria would involve both of them courting her while "on the run".

She's intrigued by Harry's advances (they met by chance, and he continues to find time to seek her out when she least expects it) but she knows that messing with Harry can get her killed. Draco doesn't really treat her like shit, and she's got plenty of money, but... In other words, give her all the reason to stay with Draco and she'll be begging to jump Harry's bones.