1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The World Without Me by Eternal Cosmos - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by OnyxThestral, Mar 1, 2006.

1. OnyxThestral

OnyxThestral First Year

Title: The World Without Me
    Author: Eternal Cosmos
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure/General
    Pairing: None Specified
    Summary: Harry won the war against Voldemort but at a terrible price. Fawkes gives him another chance in a new world where he died as an infant...and where Voldemort still lurks in the shadows... AU
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2156663/1/

I didn't see this up, and I feel this is a very good "Harry goes to another dimension" fiction; this one got me hooked into that particular genre. There are no specified parings, and I do not know if that will change, but I like it the way it is, personally.

I hope you like it too. If you don't...thanks for taking the time to read a little of it.

2. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Meh. I found it boring. Nothing really happens except Harry working at Three Broomsticks and crying about Sirius and Remus.

3. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Too too, TOO, fricken much crying. There's that scene where he cries or maybe just broods after meeting Remus and Sirius and Snape comes over and give him some life advice or whatever...*gagges*, I mean, I do enjoy fluff in moderation, but not when it's every other paragraph.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think I remember this one.

It was OK I guess, but little pointless. Nothing ever happens here, except Harry pining after his mum and dad like a lost puppy.

5. OnyxThestral

OnyxThestral First Year

[sighs at her own newbie-ness] Sorry, I'll make sure to keep the low-crying status in mind when I recommend another story. I hadn't realized this was a factor to some. Though I do admit, stories where Harry is a major crybaby get on my nerves.

I didn't think that this story fell in that catagory. Ah well, that's free will.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No, this was an ok post.

Wussiness, slash and H/G are big factors when recomending stories here, but if the story is good enough, I think that the majority of DLP members can overlook these failings...

As for this one, it is Ok... I've seen a lot worse, beleive me.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked it, and I agree with IP, if it has any of those factors (especially slash) it had better be damned good. But this story was good, in my opinion. Nothing has happened, but sometimes I just like reading about nonsensical and filler things.

8. razz

razz Seventh Year

Ak. I can't exactly place why but I just hate this fic. Everything about it irks me - from the soppy title, the tryhard characterisation of Harry (so CLICHÉD rebellion), riding on the fucking Hippogriff, (and as everyone else has mentioned) the whole plot that is so utterly pointless it's frustrating - and a waste of time.

I never got past chapter eight.

It's so fucking LAME.

9. Baiceir

Baiceir Guest

A/N from chapter two, that's as far I got. I gave it up as a bad job with a 1/5.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

This fic is just about over and done with now. New update was a massive chapter with typical allies across the forest giant battle scene with centaurs and acromantula helping to take out the evil vampires, giants, zombies, etc... Anyone who'd read this far, pretty much knew what sort of epic climactic ending we were building towards.

And I got to say, Eternal Cosmos actually delivered on the massive well-explained battle sequence. It wasn't terribly noteworthy but it wasn't cheaply glossed over and unsatisfying either.

Big minuses on this fic are that Harry really is a child. In battle, in leading, and when it comes to dueling, he acts like an adult. But he's still got moments of teary-eyed pussification, he's acting like a tard who got a shiny new helmet when Remus and Sirius say they want to adopt his nearly 18 year old ass. And overprotective Sirius and Remus act like fathers to him and he loves it. Sigh. It's this typical sort of cliched father-son dynamic and plotline that annoyed me enough to make me want to write my own fic.

Even still, I've enjoyed this Harry travels to an alternate universe fic quite a bit, and the big battle was better than average. Well in line with the quality of the story. And so few of these are finished, it's nice to see this is a long one that's just a summation and ending away from being complete. (Author's note admits next chapter is "probably" the last.)

The fact that this fic will soon be a finished one in a genre sorely lacking finished fics, bumps this up to being library worthy, in my opinion.

4/5

(P.S. - No one ever voted on this one before?)

11. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ah, yeah, I followed this story for a while, but lost it somehow.

Well, I agree the first chapters are a reason to place it in the trash bin - but later on it becomes quite good. It has this annoying fluffiness in the beginning, but also several quite original ideas, i.e. Nagini and even the scenes with Madam Hooch.

12. Assassinator_of_Dumbledor

Assassinator_of_Dumbledor Raptured to Hell

I'm sorry but this fic just sucks, I has too much crying and too much fluff

13. ovick111

ovick111 Backtraced

better than some in the library.

3/5

14. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ovick, you have posted almost identical posts on a few threads. "better than some in the library" "better than some recs lately", at least give a reason why it's better.

As for me, I could never really get into this fic. Timetravel isn't one of my favorite genre's and I never really had any incentive to read it.

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I used to consider it to be a good fic. However as standards rose somethings because old really fast and it became more and more like a pussy Harry fic. If your that good tell the old farts to kiss your ass and do something