1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Firefox/Computer problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Iztiak, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Alright, I downloaded Zonealarm yesterday.

Ever since then, when using firefox, it will work for 40 minutes to over an hour, and then nothing else will load. Stuff will stop working. Since I figured this had something to do with Zonealarm, I turned it off, but that isn't helping.

Everything else on the computer regarding the internet works fine, Guild Wars, AIM, ect. I tried IE, and even that works after a few tries.

But after I close firefox, it will not open up again, and gives me the message that firefox is already open. The only way to fix this is to restart the computer. Which suddenly takes absolutely forever. This is a brand new computer, which I've not had any trouble with before, logging out/in usually takes just a few seconds, but now I'll have to wait several minutes before It will actually log out.

And it gives me the same message when I've logged back in. At which point I turn the computer off without logging out, and when it starts up again it will work fine.

...For another 40 minutes.

Help? Is this Zonealarm's fault or something else? And if so, how the hell do I get rid of it? :(

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

A lot of people seem to have this problem with ZA and firefox; especially if they use AVG/Avast.

Try uninstalling ZA in Add/Remove programs and then installing a different firewall like Sygate or Comodo.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I hope the problem with logging out isn't permanent?

Thanks though, I'll do that then.

Any idea why it does this?

4. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Iztiak: Had the same problem about a week ago, The new Zonealarm is a piece of shit, Remove it and get COMODO. Should fix it, did for me.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

From what I've seen, it's something to do with ZA refusing to play nice with other programs. As I said, Comodo and Sygate are better. If you're using Vista I'd avoid Sygate though, had some issues with it on my dad's laptop so I just uninstalled it and activated windows firewall. I know nothing of Comodo's Vista compatabiltiy. <_<