1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Eldritch Asylum by obsidian-fox -T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Kensington, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Title: Eldritch Asylum
    Author: obsidian-fox
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Supernatural
    DLP Category: Alternate
    Pairing: N/A
    Chapters: 9
    Words: 129,578
    Updated: April 12, 2008
    Published: September 13, 2004

Summary: [Crossover: Harry Potter, Lovecraft] Shadows in London run deeper than they ever did in Nerima. Ranma begins an epic tale of good, evil, and the vast twilight between them. Summary inside.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2056653/1/Eldritch_Asylum

Very high quality tale that focuses on an amnesiac Ranma that is adopted by the Grangers. The biggest downside to the story itself is that it's only now having all the main characters at Hogwarts, although Harry and crew are in their 3rd year.

I will confess I was slightly hesitant to post this here, due to the main character NOT being Harry, but I figured that since this is a story that takes place in the HP-verse (Hermione quickly becomes a main character, a few chapters later Harry becomes one) and the story is of high enough quality that it belongs in the library.

I'm almost positive more than a few of you will bitch because Ranma is the main character. Oh well, it's a damn good story that shouldn't be discounted. I especially enjoy the conflict between the Gangers and the Ministry rules.

5/5.

Checked by Minion, January 2, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  2. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I read this a few weeks ago and remember it being pretty damn good. Ranma is what got me into fanfiction. I was very much into Ranma fanfiction for a few years before the story output started slowing down dramatically.

Anyways, we definitely need more good HP/Ranma crossovers. I believe there is a 200k+ word HP/Ranma fic on ff.net, but I remember it being trash.

The author really needs to update this, but seeing how it's been just about a year, it doesn't seem very likely.

5/5

edit: here's another good HP/Ranma fanfic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2882453/1/Whats_in_a_name

I won't put it up for review, but it was pretty damn good.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

It's good. I've never seen the Ranma series but still found this story enjoyable.

All the basics are there. Writing is high quality, characterization is consistent, etc. The flashback scenes are a bit confusing, but I think maybe they're intended to be.

I found an in depth wiki of the story linked from the authors profile. You can tell the author took a very analytical approach to the story, just check out this page.

Some people might dislike that Ranma is in his female form most of the time, but the author has a rational explanation.

The only major negative is the story hasn't been updated in almost a year. I can't give a story that looks like it isn't going to be completed full marks, so 4/5 from me.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It's not dead the update rate is just incredibly slow, the slowest I have ever seen in a fic in fact. The rate is one chapter a year, usually somewhere in the middle of that year.

5. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Second Year

Could have done without the Hellsing schtick. And the super special awesome trunk of cliche yet affordable ultimate doom. And the clever alliteration.

Good fight scenes. Angst without wangst, except for the whole "Is it wrong to murder vampires?" Which can be forgiven since it was probably the "lead poisoning" talking. 3d characterisation. Likable and interesting OC's. Ranma making life miserable for friend and foe alike. I sort of wish the moniker 'Red' had stuck, since the characterization is still in character, so we don't need to be reminded too blatantly about who we're supposed to be reading about.

It rounds out to a 5/5 for me.

6. Solace

Solace First Year DLP Supporter

Yes, yes, and yes. Dismally slow update may also induce tl;dr because of the wait time per chapter. But I don't think it detracts from the quality of the story.

It is surprisingly good for a Ranma/HP crossover. Particularly good job with OC characterization; OC's are the fickle demons of fanfic.

In short: 5/5

7. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I loved the epic trunk part. It was hilarious seeing Harry pine away for one, but being too much of a thrift spender to get it.

8. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Second Year

Yeah, the scene in and of itself was good. I just didn't care for the fact that it was one of those things. There's a googleton of cool magical devices out there that could have done the job.

9. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Do you need to be into Ranma to enjoy this? I've read the first couple Ranma manga, but I never really liked it enough to force my way through the rest.

10. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

I like Ranma fanfiction, but use of Japanese in this story really ruins it for me.

11. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

Rehio: Knowledge of Ranma isn't necessary but it would probably be helpful.

Good fic. Surprised me, as generally, crossovers blow. The imagery in this story is very well done, and the little bits of insanity that plague Ranma fit perfectly into the story, not drawing focus from the scene. 5/5.

12. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I don't think you need much more than a basic knowledge of Ranma to get the gist of this story. That said, the Ranma 1/2 manga gets MUCH better later on.

I have to admit though, that Takahashi's best work is by far the Mermaid Saga.

13. BlacShade

BlacShade Muggle

I realize this has nothing to even do with the thread, but I saw it and just have to say something. Cruentus, your sig is amazing, who came up with that? And as to the story, I will wait till it actually gets a bit further into HP before judging. However long that may take.