1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link A boy and his hat by shreve - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by nonjon, Mar 2, 2006.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Title: A boy and his hat
    Author: shreve
    Rating: M
    Genre: Supernatural/Action/Adventure
    Pairing: Unknown (was 37, married, had kids. He's 11 now and we don't know who the wifey was yet or if she will be again.)
    Summary: Harry has come back to the beginning of his magical life. Vengeful and ready to kill to protect the past. It's just another independent Harry in the past fic.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2795214/1/

Yay! One of the first few HONKS authors I used to like so much seems to be tackling the old "grown up Harry gets sent back into his 11 year old body" sort of fic. Maybe this will be HONKS, but maybe not. Doubt romance will factor in.

Only this time it feels like we're finally going to see it done right, where he doesn't just goof around trying to relive the glory of childhood. He's just a real powerful bad-ass fixing what's broken. (Took him about a day before he was breaking Sirius out of Azkaban... none of that whiny must not mess with the timeline stuff. Of course Voldie was just the first of seven Dark Lords he killed in the future.)

Could use a beta maybe, and there was one moment of "LOL" that really peeved me, but I dig on the ideas for sure. Only 2 chapters, 9000 words so far, but considering it'd been like a year and a half since this author posted anything, maybe he's back and going to be updating semi-regularly again.

Checked by Minion, August 12, 2013
    Dead link is dead. If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Greate so far. I enjoy reading it. :cheers:

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This is a great start - fun, interesting, original and ANGSTLESS! Hell yeah!

The only problem is somewhat crappy and rushed writting - at times that can be considered as high-tempo, but there are parts that really require more work and polish. Not to mention that, if this keep rolling like this, it'll go through the whole HP plot in the next 4-5 chapters (and the same amount of days).

4. Lunarian

Lunarian Third Year

OOh that is a fun read for what little there is. Harry taking charge and taking noshit from anyone... as an 11year old even heh. Curious as to how long before moony'n'padfoot accept Harry as he is, not as the little kid theyre probly thinking.

5. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

I always liked the concept of older-Harry-sent-back. It's also nice to see one where Harry isn't sent back by death (via himself, Voldemort, etc).

The author sets a quick pace that helps cover up the very mediocre writing style, but that same pace will probably be the downfall of the story. It seems like all the known canon-conflicts save perhaps Voldemort himself will be resolved before chapter 5 or 6, which is where a lot of authors tend to lose any interest. I'll keep reading if the author doesn't abandon the story or make a huge fuck-up. (Things considered a fuck-up: Slash, H/G, more than two clichés per chapter considering the fast pace.)

Bottom line:
    Not bad, but S'Tar'kan's NoFP definitely spoiled everyone into this sub-genre of time travel as far as readability goes.

6. Shreve

Shreve Guest

Glad to see ppl are enjoying my story. Sorry I haven't been updating regular. I'm am going to try and update before my company sends me to Canada.

And about my rushed and hurried writing, most of my stories are written on the fly. Basically, I just start writing and break up the chapters. I have always written that way. I also like the old quote "If you don't like it, look away." 8)

I also know I pissed a bunch of ppl off with the LOL comment. Sorry about that. I type in a chat room about 10 hours a day at work. LOL is one of things I type a LOT. Didn't even notice I did it. Had to read that chapter three times to find it. (Then I remembered the find feature, Mondays suck)

Someone else mentioned that I'm going to run thru the entire canon in 4-5 chapters. I was thinking it would take 8. heheh Most of this story will be about Harry and Ministry. Things will start to make more sense in the next couple chapters. Should have ch3 up tonight (3/15). Chapter 4 might be a couple weeks. Like I said, I'm going back out of country.

Thx again to bornagainpenguin for the info about this site. :lol:

7. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Been through this fic and yeh i think i agree with what nonjon said about it being one of the only decent 'doing-it-over' fics around. Slow it down abit shreve even if you like to 'write on the fly' as you say, you'll get far more across thats meaningful if it's not so rushed.

8. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

This is a good fic. One of the better 'Return to the Past' stories I've read. And I really like the lack of angst, whinyness in the story. If I may make a recommendation, don't have Harry pining for his future wife. The way you wrote it he's gets things done and not lay around whining about it.

Look forward to the next chapter.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I've seen this story being brought up a few times in the chatroom... I must have a read. Not the best title though. :p

10. Shreve

Shreve Guest

Sorry folks. I didn't get a chance to update before I left. So my story has taken a back burner in my life. :cry:

I promise to update as soon as I'm back in country. :p

11. Shreve

Shreve Guest

The impossible can happen. I updated. Hope you enjoy.

12. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Yes about time though better late then never i guess. I liked it quite a bit dispite the fact that it is moving increadebly fast, some how you manged to do a speed that while jumping around abit is still really fairly easy to understand. Is it going to be a long wait for the next chappy?

13. Shreve

Shreve Guest

next post

Right now, I just have part of the next chapter made up. After all, I just introduced the newest (don't know what to call him, bad guy just isn't right) opponent, Booth.

I think every will enjoy the examination. I'm planning on having some fun at Snape's expense. Should be fun for me to write and for y'all to read.

(FYI, when in french canada, don't say y'all. People just stare at you. ) :p

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I like it how Harry is not immedietely pinning after 11 year old redneck and the beaver; that shit always rile me up in this kind of stories. I mean, Harry is like, mentally 50+ years old man. Why the hell would he want to hang out with bunch of 10 year old brats. What's he gonna do? Play tag and run away from cooties? I won't even start ranting about 2nd year, when Ginslut comes in and he's immedietely smitten by her tasty, tom-boyish 10 year old sexy body... PERV!

But anyway, unlike SOME, this fic has nothing of that, which is why it's so fucking cool. Keep up the good work! :)

15. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

This is a great fic, by far the best of the harry travels back in time genre i have found, cant wait to see whats going to happen next. I think one of the things i like best about this is the fact he just gets on with it and looks at this as another chance at sorting things, not bitching over the fact that his life got screwed over once more. Great fic, look forward to more.

16. Shreve

Shreve Guest

Just thought I would let everyone know, that I haven't vanished again. I will have the next chapter up this weekend. Just got a new girl, so I have to spend time with her. Trust me. I weighed the two, writing or gf; she won by a huge margin. ;)

17. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

But did you add in the love they you get from the DLP members for writing chapters? :lol:

18. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Very Original, Definatly one of the better harry goes back to his past self stories. Excellent so far

19. CGB

CGB Auror

Yeah. Really good story. This Harry is one of the better characterizations in fanfics. I like it that he just try to fix things and to hell with the consequences!

20. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

I see he isn't a meek child in this fic.. I rather like him like this, no regard to whatever just gets the job done