1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Reflections of Demons by evil genus - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by meatzman2, Mar 22, 2009.

1. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Title: Reflections of Demons
    Author: evil genus
    Rating: M
    Pairing: None (at this stage)
    Chapters: 29
    Words: 171,602
    Updated: Jul 30, 2012
    Published: Aug 16, 2008

Summary: When the fight on the bridge takes an unusual turn, the whole Naruto tale changes, based off the one-shot Mirror, by Uchiki na Kage, see what happens when a hidden truth is exposed.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4477597/1/Reflections_of_Demons

The one shot that spawned this was alright but it didn't really explain enough when the author added that someone was trying to expand it, I thought I'd check it out.

This fic is essentially centered around a divergence from canon at the Battle of the Bridge in Wave, where Haku's mirrors rather than being fully destroyed by Kyuubi's chakra assume a different function than as a means of transport. They allow Haku to sort of see into a person's soul and memories, I was very skeptical at this point but it works surprisingly well.

The fic is pretty AU from canon mostly concerned with exploring the characters, their histories and motivations at least at this stage. I really enjoy the very introspective style of the writing and the slow pace of the story thus far isn't of consequence because I'm kept occupied by the PoV changes.

I very much enjoyed it, something slightly different from the sort of Naruto fics I have read lately 5/5.

Checked by Minion, February 15, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I am very much surprised.

I don't know what it was about the summery that was setting off warning bells in my head, Though I suspect it's 'True nature' of haku's mirrors that threw me. but I nearly didn't bother reading it.

I'm glad I did.

This is a Darker and rather Gritty Naruto that's very easily on par with some of the best I've ever read in this Genre.

Saratobi's Teamates are not backstabbing bastards, but a sounding board for major decisions, Konoha's council isn't made up of assholes who are all doing their best to enslave/ Murder Naruto, but rather a group of former ninja who are in fact trying to help him, even if it is rather ineffective.

This one paragraph sums it up quite well I believe

And no, it's doesn't even feel slightly like it's leaning toward slash. More of a 'Brothers' feel if anything.

it should probably be mentioned up front that this is not a fast paced story, but one that lends it's self to deep contemplation and introspection, very, very well done.

4.9/5