1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Charmed

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by zUzaque, Mar 23, 2009.

1. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

I've watched all of Buffy, Angel, and Supernatural. I loved them all. I was wondering if the show charmed would be good to watch, or if its too much of a, well, "chick-show"

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yes. Too much of a chick show for me, and it's a bit light-hearted. Good guys almost always win, and the magic system is messed up at best. The whole "unbeatable" power of three thing really annoys, and how dumb some demons are sometimes just makes me want to yell. Actually, the general stupidity of the characters in that show makes me want to yell at people. Especially since my parents love the damn thing, and watch it every change they get. The universe it's set up in has potential, but the 'charmed one' thing totally ruins it for me. You know they're going to win in the end, and there's no grey shade, which makes it boring for me.

3. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

Damn, Does anyone have any suggestions of a show thats like buffy, angel and supernatural?

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I second this. No. My wife and I watched it for years in the morning because it was on before ER (which I STILL don't think was that decent of a show, but hell we didn't have anything better to do in the morning while feeding the kids)

The power of three. Yeah okay, except it kills anything. Ultimate evil, wipe Earth out with a thought? Send Alyissa (sp?) in some tight shit to chant with her two uglier sisters also in tight pants, and they win.

The whole baby sent from the future to protect another baby who's going to turn evil thing went on like 4 years too long. It had some interesting angles, but all of a sudden they're time traveling constantly, and overdoing everything.

It's watchable, but only with a girl snuggled up that you're trying to bed.

5. Boo

Boo Auror

Its a family show with a supernatural twist.
    Everything they do is about family and how they need to stick together.

6. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

One of the worst shows evar. Wildfeather touched on it a little, so I'm not going to make a giant hateful rant.

And yes, I've actually over a season of it, due to my sister who would put it on and hog the tv.

7. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Personal opinion, I watched it when I was around eleven. Thought it was the shit at the time. Have been watching reruns on TNT lately because it's on when I need to do work, and I can't get anything done without white noise in the background. Watching it these days, it's still an okay show I suppose. Nothing to get excited about, but I'd watch it if there was nothing else on.

8. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

At the time I was a hormonal teenager and three fine hot ladies were on tv. Also, it was the one program I could watch with my sisters without getting hammered about all the hot women.

9. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

Dollhouse is pretty decent so far, but it's only 5 or so episodes into its first season.

You could check out Sanctuary, which just finished its first run of 12 episodes on Sci Fi. They left us on a goddamn cliffhanger though, which is irksome. >.<

Fringe is more of a reality-based thing (sort of?) but it's also decent, and follows the rough "monster of the week" formula of early Buffy and Supernatural, while keeping more or less to an over-story. It does have its cons though; it's most definitely in trouble in regards to its ratings and the faith its network has in it. It won't resume airing until April.

If you like British shows, I'd recommend Primeval, which is almost its 3rd series (March 28th), but the seasons tend to be very short: the first had 6 episodes, the second had 7, and the upcoming one has 10. Damn Brits and their idea of what comprises a "full season". >.<

Torchwood can be pretty decent as well. I don't follow it religiously, but I do enjoy the random episode I catch on Space.

I watched all three seasons of Kyle XY, but that series was abruptly cancelled in March, halfway through the third season. They were building somewhere with it, and ended it on a fairly ambiguous note that was very probably meant to be their midseason breaking point instead of their series finale. Still, I quite enjoyed it, and I'd recommend it to people interested in the genre.

10. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

As mentioned before Charmed wouldn't be good for you since you've seen the great shows. Some of the storylines are recycled in Charmed, only done less effectively. In fact, if I dust off my old Buffy trivia, I believe Willow's phrase of "Oh my goddess," uttered in the last episode was a joke at Charmed's expense.

Wow, I can't believe I remember that.

Anyway, I'm a tv junkie, and shows like what your searching for have a hard time finding life on the airwaves. Even if they are beloved, most have a hard time making it past the first season.

The best thing I can think of is Lost, I haven't really followed it, but people seem to love how the plotlines spiral together. Plus the exec producers have an ending planned in the story, which is where a lot of shows loose the greatness. Heroes first season was good too, but I found the second season pretty unispiring.

If you don't limit yourself to supernatural shows, and dip into science fiction, there's a whole lot more for you there.