1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Oh God Not Again! by Sarah1281 -K+

Discussion in 'Humor' started by ray243, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Title: Oh God Not Again!
    Author: Sarah1281
    Rating: k+
    Genre:Humor
    DLP Category: Humor/ Time travel fics
    Pairing: H/G
    Chapters: 50
    Words: 162,700
    Updated: December 22, 2009
    Published: September 13, 2008

Summary: So maybe everything didn't work out perfectly for Harry. Still, most of his friends survived, he'd gotten married, and was about to become a father. If only he'd have stayed away from the Veil, he wouldn't have had to go back and do everything AGAIN.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4536005/1/Oh_God_Not_Again

Couldn't find this story using the Search, so I've posted it here. A time travel story that doesn't involve a PTS Harry. It has been a while since I've found a Harry that is more or less happy with how the War turned out.

Checked by Minion, February 15, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
  2. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Read the first chapter and it's pretty much the exact script from the opening to the Philosophers Stone Movie. Should probably read on to determine its worth, but if the author is that lazy at the start of a fic when determination and impetus to write a good fic are at their strongest, I hate to imagine what else is to come.

3. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It's definitely Humor/Parody category.

It's good enough read, it has some really good lines. I can't recall any major problems with grammar, spelling or flow of narrative.

Overall 3.5/5 rounded to 4/5.

4. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Didn't like this story at all, author tries to make Harry out as some funny/witty smart ass and instead makes him sound like a douche. The few chapters I read only frustrated me...

2.5/5 <- For spelling/gramma

5. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    This won't feature by any chance a love smitten Harry by "the most beautiful vision with red hair" he has ever seen, which just happens to be eleven years old, will it?

Against my better judgment I'll read it and edit latter...

EDIT: fast skip forward... so 23 and stuck with another bunch of 12 year olds and actually having the time of his life... talking about someone with missed childhood and a number of issues...
    I guess KrzaQ was right, this is Humor/Parody category and I guess you have to be in some special mood to actually like it. As much as someone can enjoy, yet another, rewrite of the events from the first books.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  6. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Saw this a while back, wasn't expecting much and therefore it seemed stronger and more solid than it probably was. At least one pretty interesting twist, and some pretty good lines here. But it has been drifting off lately IMO.

3/5

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed this one, merely as a guilty pleasure. In that regards, 4/5 from me. Will probably end up in the recycling bin however.

8. Solace

Solace First Year DLP Supporter

Same here. I actually disliked it in the beginning due to a few stereotypes that could have been avoided, but did not pass judgment until the third chapter.

It is definitely something to be taken half-seriously, but still manages to be oddly legitimate. Either way, 4/5 from my end; still reading it for the amusement it gives me.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's one of my guilty pleasures as well. It's well written mechanically and doesn't seem to take itself very seriously, another plus. It'd be 3/5, normally, but it gets 4/5 from me for the magic scar excuse and the fact that there aren't that many good humor fics out there anymore.

10. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

'Drunk' is usually a good mood to enjoy questionable fics in.

^.^ All fiction is better when one is drunk!

Edit: and questionable fics become DAMN funny most of the time.

11. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

You may want to take a look at what is the author's thought in regards to time traveling pairing.

12. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Another fanfic following some of the same old tired cliches. For being a time traveler HP is remarkably obtuse about bits and pieces of the storyline. THere are a few one-liners sprinkled throughout the fic that are funny as hell, but other than that, good but definitely not great. 3.5/5

13. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

As far as Humor/Parody category goes, I'd give it a solid 4/5

Discussion about houses:
    What do they say about Gryffindor? Harry asked, highly amused.

“Cannon Fodder.”

14. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I agree with Memory King, here. I didn't expect very much from this one, so I was surprised at the fact that it is solidly written. Sure, there are mistakes and cliches, but time-travel is a genre you can't really write in without them.

Either way, I'll give this a 3/5...because it's a solidly written, average story.

15. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I haven't read the story yet (hence, no rating), but the author's profile is pretty win.

ETA:

This is actually pretty funny. 4/5

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  16. jpdt19

jpdt19 Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Meh, got to agree.

It's more light relief, and crack fic than anything serious.

The jokes tide it along, but some of them are getting old.

The author needs to put some decent work in, or it's going to end up being pretty awful, interspersed with with occaisonal good jokes.

First few chapters are the best really.

17. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I started on this a fortnight or so ago and made it to about chapter twenty before stopping. As has been said, it's got some great one-liners, a couple of amusing running jokes, but it all just gets old. This is the problem with Humour/Parody fics; most overstay their welcome and find themselves losing all their original appeal as the author either runs out of ideas or sticks to the same jokes that made the story popular in the beginning.

While it lasts, the fic's entertaining, one of the better Humour/Parody fics out there. Still, it's gotten stale now and the lack of originality in the later chapters drops it down to...

3/5

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate to derail the thread a bit, but does anyone know any other fics like this? Its a huge guilty pleasure for me, and I love the sarcastic!Harry. The other one I know of was So Sue Me, which was also excellent, yet abandoned.

19. Procyon

Procyon Squib

The story itself is alright, no grammar/spelling mistakes I picked up by skimming it. The plot is remarkably cliched and features an extremely stuck up and arrogant Harry in my opinion.

Harry would never market anything for personal gain.

3/5, if you're looking for a laugh you could read this, but meh otherwise.

20. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Nitpicking the details makes me think you're taking it too seriously. While yes, it's time travel, this is closer to merely providing sarcastic and wry commentary on the Hogwarts experience, told through the voice of Harry. A Harry who's just playing with the rest of the world and amusing himself and readers greatly.

There are plenty of very funny moments and the surreal way Harry keeps going makes for an easy read. Just don't take it too seriously. The humor's not up to the level of some of the truly classic humor/parody type fics out there, but it's good. It has its moments. It's not trying too hard (which is the failing of most fics of this ilk). Mainly though, it's just fun.

I can't see this continuing on forever and the glacial pace the story is set at means if this were completed, it'd be too massive to be worth reading.

3/5 for being enjoyable and fun and a pretty decent way to spend some time. But like a lot of fics, I doubt this will reach it's conclusion, nor is the author really concerned with getting there.

In my opinion, still the best sarcastic!Harry ever found in fanfiction is Invictus by opalish. Also abandoned/on hiatus.

That DLP thread has been woefully ignored. I think I'll re-read Invictus and see if I still like the fic as much as I used to.