1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

AK solid objects?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cazten, Mar 3, 2006.

1. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

Why is it in all books when the AK hits a block of steel or wood it explodes violently, but against a human they jsut die. No bloodworks, no explosion, just falling down dead.

From what i understand (unless this is just something people made up and began using) the AK seperates the soul from the body killing them instantly.
    So if that was the case how could it possibly do any damage to a soulless object?

2. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Also if it were truly unblockable if fired at a wall it would carry on until it hit someone completely ignoring any obstructions. Unless it only has a limited range. If solid objects do stop it however then it's not unblockable as it is said to be. BIG plot hole there

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    it could be that inanimate objects have no magic and therefore there is a kinda of magical chemical reaction caused by the sudden influx of magic, so it explodes. However, the human body has the magic paths in it already, so the magic mearly sweeps through them doing whatever it does to kill you.

4. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

wow. since when did magic have chemical reaction. i thought magic was just that magic. no effance Mordecai

5. Mordecai

High Score:
    i think you may have misunderstood, Im not meaning that magic is a chemical, just that the reaction when magics hits a solid object may be similar to a chemical reaction.

6. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

right. man who ever thought that magic involved science. i absolatly hate science. a grade 9 could beat me in that field anyday.

7. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

maybe it just overcharges the person magic to an extent that the body cant handle it, almost like blowing a fuse.

Wouldnt you be well annoyed if someone shot an AK curse at you and it hit you little finger, or skimmed your ear. You would die from it, but it would such a pointless impact...

also, how does it get through clothing and stuff, but not walls....

8. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

i don't think the AK actually goes though the clothes, etc when it hits. propebly because the AK actually pulls the soul out of the persons body, like a magnet.

9. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    if the AK took the soul and kills, then why when demontors give the kiss they dont die they become "vessels" but still alive

So if the AK took the soul they wouldnt die so.... :?:

10. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

now i'm confused. it just seems impossible to live on with out a sould. shit now i'm confused. how the hell does an AK work? i mean when they say that AK is one of the darkest curses, which is part of the unforgivables then there is a reason for not using them right. the AK should have some devastating effects that you can't see right.

11. Dark Lord Rostam

The soul thing seems possible but its just the dementors im bitching about I mean they suck the soul but u LIVE

AK sucks "soul" but u DIE....WTF :?:

12. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

those must be one of those things JKR fucked up on. she must be one confused author

13. Dark Lord Rostam

She is one fucked up author isnt she. But other then that I think the Ak could be like dont laugh..... a quick charge of pure energy. It overloads the system with so much energy, dark energy that u die

That would explain why wizards in their "all-mighty power" die they have too much magic and a shield would be charged with the energy of the AK so it dissolves and thats why its "unblockable"

14. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

When did JKR ever say that AK kills by sucking out your soul? I might've missed something, but the closest I've ever seen to an explaination as to how it kills is "life was wiped from (name I forget)'s body," or something along those lines. I like Randeemy's theory that it simply overwhelms your body with magic, which would also explain the inanimate objects bursting into flame, since magic is hot (several times Harry's hair has been singed by a curse coming too close), it would make sense that enough magic to overload someone would also be enough to make wood desks burn. As for the issue of clothes, I think that it must be that clothes don't have enough mass to stop the spell. And unblockable plainly refers to no magical shield can block it. Obviously, anything physical in the way of any spell will block it from going any further, or else the AK would go through whoever it killed and kill all the people behind them, too.

15. Dark Lord Rostam

I mean unblockable by magic not physical objects thays why people stop it and physical objects not shields

16. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

Perhaps it hits something and like light, it's direction changes abit, it ricochets(sp?), and clothes aren't PERFECTLY solid, it passsess through the little space between atoms.

17. Mordecai

High Score:
    i would go along with what Supremo is saying, it makes quite a lot of sense, if magic has explosive force in it, or heat or whatever, then it would make sense for things to explode, but if the human body were to channel it, evcen though it is lethal to it, then yeah, methinks we have success.

And Sepanto, everything has spaces between the atoms, though I do see your point that it may pass through the spaces between the threads.

18. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    You only die if they kiss you. Anyways, I agree with Supremo on this. He makes the most snese.

19. Dark Lord Rostam

But when Crouch Jr. was kissed they said he now had the brain power of a pot of plant and was alive just a drooling idiot

20. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

I have an idea, maybe when one conjurs something, there is absolutely no space between the atoms, and as such, when blocking ak with conjured stuff it may block it, but with "real" stuff the curse passess.