1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Screw up graphic display

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BloodRedSword, Apr 7, 2009.

1. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Hi guys, recently just got my liquid cooling SLI system up and running. Not even a week later, my graphic starts to get extremely cranky. In the boot up screen, I can clearly see lines and dots during window's boot up. Best part is that I'm unable to log into Windows normally coz the display is so screw up that all it displayed was black screen with some spots of colour.

My specs are below
    Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME
    Processor: i7 920 2.67 GHz
    GPU: 2 x GeForce 9800 GTX+

Please assist.

2. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Test one: recheck connections, remove cooling and unseat GPUs, possible that you worked something loose when installing your cooling.

Test two: boot in Safe mode and delete all NVIDIA drivers, download drivers again, make sure you have latest BIOS drivers as well.

Test three: you're running 2x GeForce 9800 GTX+, take them both out and then reinsert one, reboot. Take first GPU out put second one in, reboot. If it's a problem with one it should be fairly obvious which it is.

Test four (only works if you have a spare GPU): remove both GPUs and insert a GPU you know to be working, see if the computer boots up and that your OS of choice functions.

*note* for 3 and 4 remove the liquid cooling system (you're trying to see if the problem is an isolated GPU issue)

If the problems persist well then it sounds like either one or both of you're GPUs have somehow died. If it's only one then you can still use your comp while you ship the other one back and wait for a replacement.

I don't know how extensive your water cooling is and/or how experienced you are installing them, I've always shied away from them because I'm clumsy as hell and I nearly always wind up breaking something when I muck about with the innards of a computer. Aside from that I gather they are pretty simple to install these days. If it was me I'd take into consideration the possibility that I screwed up installing the cooling somehow and then fried my GPU because it wasn't getting cooled properly. I hate to break it to you but to me it sounds like a pretty open and shut case of your GPUs being fucked :(.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'd say check your drivers. I remember something like this happening when I had a problem with my display drivers..

I downloaded some new ones from nVidia and it worked fine afterwards.

4. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Just solved it... I'm a bloody idiot... My thermal gel wasn't spread properly on my GPU and it kinda of burn out... Thanks anyway guys!