1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Another Chance by tatewaki2000 - T - Pokemon

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Grubdubdub, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Title: Another Chance
    Author: tatewaki2000
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama
    DLP Category: Misc.
    Pairing: Ash/Misty [Not AAMRN, though.]
    Chapters: 31
    Words: 66,884
    Updated: Aug 29, 2014
    Published: Nov 15, 2008

Summary: Ash is finally going to marry Misty, but a tragedy prevents them from having that happy ending. However, when a 19 year old Ketchum somehow awakens in his 11 year old body he has only one goal. To keep Misty from dieing this time around.

Link: Another Chance by tatewaki2000

First recommendation, so cut my tongue first so I won't scream too much. Anyway...

This is a great fic, especially considering the fandom. First few chapters were meh, but it picks up fast. Grammer and spelling are decent, flow is good, characterzation of Ash is really realistic. We have seen only the outlines of the plot so far, but Ash has already started his quest and it should speed up soon.

Possible turn-off are the Ash/Misty pairing, superpowered Ash and a few things I would'nt want to divulge, but I really think you should give it a chance. Misty is definatly not the counterpart of Ginny or Hinata in this story, and she's portrayed well, although I have some concerns. Also, although Ash is superpowered, it doesn't take away from the story as it might have in other fandoms and it is quite believeable to those with some knowledge of Pokemon history considering other inventions and etc.

I think this could be picked up and enjoyed immensely by the casual Pokemon Master, a great story to Pokemon fans who really don't have a lot of stories to choose from, and a possible entrance to the fandom to the clueless people [where have you been?!] who are willing to spend 30 minutes on wiki [reading without knowledge about specific Pokemon (only first Gen) is kind of pointless.]

4/5

Checked by Minion, February 15, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

It has potential, but I feel it is almost completely unreadable. The grammar, even WITH a beta, blows.

Ash not getting Pikachu was interesting and a welcome change.

But a pokemon drama? It doesnt work in my book.

2/5 for effort.

3. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

I always thought Pokemon was an interesting universe where nothing happened.

In this fic however, the grammar killed me before I could find out what the fuck was happening.

4. Grubdubdub

I don't know, I just pushed through the first couple of chapters and then the grammar became okay.

Also, saying that nothing happens in Pokemon is completely false. It's true that you can't really enjoy Pokemon if you don't like the filler episodes [they are about 600 episodes of them...], but there is a plot. Also, I always thought that character interaction was one of Pokemon's strong points, so even if you don't think there's a plot, there's plenty to enjoy.

5. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

On that last comment, I notice that most fics are based off the games. Are there any that are based on the (much more heavily) plot-based manga, Pokemon Special?

6. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

Oh, I know there was a plot, but when you have ten filler chapters between each real one it gets really tiresome. I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how it works there.

The movies, on the other hand, weren't bad; I loved them when they came out. I was younger, of course...

7. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

There are, but you really have to dig deep. And even then, you have to sift through all the obligatory crap/slash/more crap. Most of the good pokemon fics Ive read are based on the games, and feature an OC trainer starting out.

8. Grubdubdub

You do know that that manga is based on the games, right?

Anyway, I much prefer fics based on the anime. Although the games are the original, I think that the anime is the better source of canon, it being much much longer and full of details. Also, we already got pokemon special to be the ultimate games fanfic.

9. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    Would you mind linking them?

10. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Please. I've sometimes get the urge to read a Pokemon fic yet everything I try to read seems to be bile and more bile.

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I don't recall the Elite 4 trying to collect the 8 badges to bring about world destruction in the game. ;)

12. Grubdubdub

...loosely based on the game.

13. Element

Element Seventh Year

I'll just jump in here to recommend one fic, certainly the best Pokemon fanfic out there and probably the best piece of fanfiction I've ever read. Pretty much anyone who's dabbled in Pokemon fanfiction already knows it, so you may have already read it (its one of the few decent fics that exists). It'll take a while to read as its an absolute epic, but is utterly brilliant :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~aceywacey/pokemon.htm

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

This may just be the best pokemon fic there is. That probably isn't saying much though.

Maybe it's just me but I just can't take a story like this seriously. Ash is a terrible protagonist to work with. He's a naieve kid in the anime but you want me to believe he's a dark pokemon master and womanizer now? It doesn't help the fact it's been ingrained in me that pokemon don't really "kill stuff" (lol everything blacks out or faints).

Also, Misty can somehow control water without the use of a pokemon. Still trying to figure that out.

This story rates pretty high on my ridiculous meter, I would recommend avoiding it. It takes quite bit of disbelief suspension to wade through this.

1.5/5 (this story is grammatically sound, and there is a plot, I guess)

What I'd like to see in a pokemon story? Or just the series in general? Less Pikachu. More skill. It'd be fun to read a story where the protagonist is a bug trainer or something, and has to win his battles using strategy. Medapod >>>

15. Grubdubdub

You do realize that this was updated in 2001, right?

That's not to say that's not good, but surely something good came out in 8 years, right? ...right?

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With regard to the fic which is the topic of the thread: bad grammar and painful romance killed it for me, as well as an overpowered Ash. Wouldn't mind reading a good Pokemon re-do fic, but this isn't it.

Now, onto a matter of real importance:

Element! You're alive!

17. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Actually Ash gets his ass kicked later on in the fic, a lot, when he starts pissing off the higher tiers of bad guys more then just the random bad guys, but really this fic is only the 3rd best story the two best is The Death of Ash Ketchum and Illusions of Grandeur, both are radically AU as it diverges before Ash even gets into the indigo league, another one would have been on my rec list as it was pretty cool, it was called Evolution and the author put a lot of thought into it, but he lost interest and rushed the ending so it barely makes any sense at all.

The Death of Ash Ketchum

Illusions of Grandeur

18. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Remember from way back when. I'd rate it a 3/5. Starts out strong because all the characters are mysterious and you're interested, but there's not enough substance to back it up.

I remember this other one about a guy with amnesia or you don't know his name, but he's got a Torchic (not helpful, know Torchic is super popular)... and it's got some hidden power hinted at. He's also somewhat jaded (not retarded like Ash), and the Torchic might have refused to travel in a pokeball like pikachu. However it went off ffnet.

It's much better than it sounds, but I remember very little of it.

19. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

I know this post is over a month old, but I figured theres no real harm done, considering the last topic was ~10 days ago.

http://www.rpgamer.com/fanfics/other/firest/firest.html

This really (2000/2001 iirc, probably even older) old story is one that for some reason I just can't forget. It's not exactly what you're looking for (OC characters following the game), and infact it's a completely fabricated section of the Pokemon world (though the original 'zone' appears in the second part).

I really liked this story and it made an impression on me when I read it all those years ago, and figured I might as well share.

I looked to see where it was originally posted (since it had better formatting than rpgamer.com), but the persons website galaxygym.com was discontinued and an actual gym took the domain name.

Edit: I actually started to reread it and it's actually not that good. You'd be suprised at what you think is good when you're <12

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I once read a Pokemon story a few years back, probably the only one I've come across that I could stomach. The author threw the anime concept out the window and tried to make it as real-world as possible.

If his character got hit by a flamethrower, it actually hurt him. It burned him. Bad. None of this manga shit where in the next scene, he is perfectly fine. No sweatdrops. No face-plants. When the Pokemon fought, they did real damage. They bled. They got hurt.

It really made it a level above others I had attempted to read.

The only problem was that it was about an OC. But the author managed to make him interesting. A trainer who was banned by the Pokemon League when he was younger because of an unfortunate accident which resulted in the death of a Pokemon under his care.

Long story short, he steals the identity of another trainer he finds mauled in the forest and starts his own journey. He isn't the nicest of characters, though he is someone you can get behind.

It only had about eight chapters before it suddenly vanished one day, a long with his profile. Guess he gave up or was removed for some reason.

Remembering it has made me want to try find another story in this fandom worth the time it takes to read, so I'll try this and get back with a review if I find it to my liking. Or one of these other links that have popped up in here.