1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer for WoW

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dante, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Hi all :) I am thinking on buying a new computer to play games (mostly World of Warcraft) with because I finally got fed up with the lag. I would like to know what specifications are required to run it on the maximum video setting without lag. Thank you for your help :)

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

System requirements Microsoft Windows Mac OS X
    • Mac OS X 10.4.11 or newer
    • 1600 MHz or higher G5, or Intel Core Duo processor
    • 1 GB RAM or higher
    • ATI or NVIDIA video card with 64 MB Video RAM or more
    • 15 GB free HD space
    • 4× CD-ROM drive
    • Broadband Internet connection[4]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

Information to the right in the information box. Wiki usually always has the requirements for every game listed there.

3. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    It also says on the box iirc. >_>

4. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Firstly WoW = MMORPG, if you're getting lag it's not your computer it's your internet, secondly if your FPS (frames per second) is shit and that's what you mean by laggy then it's a computer issue.

As a horrendous WoW addict with a shithouse PC that means I have to run the game with everything turned down to the minimum. My computer has double the original specs linked by the Duck, but I still have to run the game on minimum settings to get some decent fps . This might be due to the fact that my computer is a cheaply cobbled together piece of shit, but whatever.

Any computer (desktop) that you can buy for US $500, not including a screen, should allow you to play WoW at medium settings. The thing about Lich King is that Blizzard put in a whole bunch of options which you can choose to implement if your computer is good enough to handle it to make the game look fucking spectacular. In order to get the full graphics settings going and all the associated little effects then you're going to need a pretty damn good computer but WoW on its highest video settings looks pretty fucking awesome in my opinion.

TBH you could probably go to the Dell website and for 500 bucks you could get something able to play WoW decently (just replace the integrated graphics). The game is 5 years old, the new graphics updates are for the most part voluntary.

5. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Well, first of all, in my opinion the recommended system requirements for WotLK are shit, because you need a much better computer to play everything maxed out and I mean it when I say maxed out :) If anyone of you guys are playing WoW with your settings maxed out, could you write your specs?

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Uh, I'm not sure about the standard computer they sell in Lithuania, but in the US the standard is more than enough to play WoW. Well, just throw in a decent graphics card for ~80 bucks and it will be perfect.

I mean, standard computer comes with:

At least 2 gigs RAM.
    At least 250/300 gigs HDD
    Dual-core CPU
    DVD/CD Burner/Reader

WoW is not a graphics extensive game to the best of my knowledge. I never played the shitty game myself. <_<

And those aren't the recommended, those are the minimum. Get any computer nowadays and it will be able to play WoW. Just make sure it has a GPU and you're golden.

7. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

This pretty much, except for the fact Daffy that with Lich King Blizzard introduced a fairly substantial graphics upgrade that you can turn on and off in the video settings of the game. In order to run everything maxed out you now need a pretty high-end gaming PC, at least by Australian standards. I'm not talking in the 4000 dollar range but I'd say at least 1500 bucks to max the video settings and then be able to raid 25 mans.

Ah if you're living in Lithuania, well I'm pretty sure that the computers on sale there aren't that much worse than the ones you can get in Western Europe. Probably get best value for money if you order it from Germany or Scandinavia in English settings and have it shipped over. Lithuania isn't in the euro area yet though so I don't know if exchange rates might make it cheaper to buy domestically.

8. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

I'm interesting in running it on maximum settings with constant 60fps in 25 man raids. 2 GB Ram, dual-core and any GPU won't be enough. I wouldn't bother buying a new computer if I were content with the quality of gaming I'm experiencing right now, which is max 20fps on lowest settings in 5-mans with all the tricks in the book for improving the performance of that game used.

9. Jolersoer

Jolersoer Third Year

I run World of Warcraft on the maximum video setting (Ultra) and the fps I get go from 20 (in Dalaran) to above 60 in caves and stay around 40-45 in 25 man raid.

My computer :
    - Windows XP Service Pack 3
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    - 4 GB RAM (though XP only use 3.25)
    - ATI RADEON HD 4800 with 1GB memory
    - Standard HDD (not a raptor)

Hope this helps.

10. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Thank you.

11. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I have these specs, and my computer played the game just fine when I did play it:

Vid card: Ge-Force 8800gts
    CPU 6600 Quad Core
    Ram: 2 gigs
    Motherboard Asus P5N-E SLI
    I also have close to about 800 gigs worth of space within the 3 hard drives I have plugged into my computer. I also use onboard sound, which is pretty decent these days.

My computer is also roughly a year old (probably considered obsolete these days), and it runs most of my games just fine, even if most of my games are getting rather old. Seeing as I don't even bother getting newer games these days, which I don't care for most of them.

With the said specs above that I have, your computer will be able to run the game just fine.

12. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Of course you cant forget the two(three?) most vital parts of any WoW fan with too much money.

Keyboard

Mouse

Mousemat

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  13. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Ok, I have to admit.... that mouse looks fucking awesome.

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

WoW gets boring as hell after a while, that's the problem. Other really lame thing about it is they used WC3's shitty game engine so it doesn't look realistic enough. That's the main thing that made me quit playing.

15. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Who the hell builds a computer for WoW?

16. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

This guy apparently. And just for WoW? Better games are out there than WoW. Such as Oblivion. Much fun, and 50 times more realistic than WoW.

17. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Well, it's not that I'm not going to play anything else or anythiong like that because I will. If the computer is something like Joelsoer's I imagine yo could run almost anyhing you wanted at at least medium video settingss right?

18. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Oblivion > WoW :confused:

That's like saying RPG > MMORPG.

Not going to derail this into a WoW thread, I'll just say this, it's an MMORPG if you're playing it as an RPG then you are going to get bored because honestly as a straight up RPG it sucks. It's like playing CounterStrike Source as a first person shooter, it's not the way the game is meant to be played.

But yar I want to derail this thread moar, but am thinking there is an old WoW thread around here that I cannot horrificly necro.

19. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter