1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Arvil Bren's Morrowind Journal by Tim Cummings - Morrowind

Discussion in 'Games' started by Matian, May 4, 2009.

1. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

First installment:
    Title: Arvil's Dusty Tomes / Arvil Bren's Journal
    Rating: M
    Genre: Fantasy/Suspense
    Fandom: Morrowind
    Chapters: 4 (ff.net)
    Words: 136,349 (ff.net)
    Summary: Arvil Bren, a wizard of Breton descent, follows a harrowing path across the mysterious island of Vvardenfell. He is a pawn in a game played by unseen powers, by unknown rules.

Link: http://arvilbren.blogspot.com/
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8017725/1/Arvil-Bren-s-Journal

Second installment:
    Title: Trail of the Archmage
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Chapters: 3 (ff.net)
    Words: 50,226 (ff.net)
    Summary: Sequel to 'Arvil Bren's Journal'. The title makes me laugh because it reminds me of a favorite line from a favorite movie; "He isn't hard to track, he leaves dead men wherever he goes."

Link: http://arvilbren2.blogspot.com/
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8033698/1/Trail-of-the-Archmage

Third installment:
    Title: Politics of the Redoran
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 60,464
    Summary: Third in the Arvil Bren series.

Link: http://timsup2nothing.blogspot.com/2005/10/politics-of-redoran.html
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8115112/1/Politics-of-the-Redoran

It's pretty hard to navigate through the third installment (on Blogspot). The link will take you the first chapter (out of about 50), but there is no next button and the Recent Chapters only shows the 10 latest chapters. To get to the second chapter, press on the oldest of the Recent Chapters and continue until you reach the second chapter. You will probably have to do this until you reach the latest chapters.

If you have ever played Morrowind, you owe it to yourself to read this.

This is the best Morrowind story ever written, hands down. While the character of Arvil Bren is pretty bland (in a Robinson Crusoe style), the author has done exceptionally well in making the world of Vvardenfell come to life. Things like magic, culture, politics and the races of Tamriel are explained in vivid detail. Spelling and grammatical errors are very uncommon.

Unfortunately the story seems to be abandoned, as the author (Tim Cummings) has not updated in 2-3 years. I've searched the web for any news regarding him, but have yet to find any reason as for his sudden departure. If any of you know what happened to him, I would be most grateful to know.

Checked by Minion, April 27, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
  2. Scott C.

Scott C. Muggle

Howdy, Matian.

I'm Scott.

I stumbled on this post while doing a web search, and figured I'd shed what little light I can.

Tim's pretty much abandoned the web as far as I know. I don't believe he ever plays Arvil anymore either.... That journal was based directly on his game notes, plus a ton of imagination.

Perhaps he'll jump on here to say hello, as I have. I'll pass the word when I talk to him next.

Either way, I'm sure he'll be flattered.

This is a nice site. I might lurk a bit for some new reading material.

Cheers,
    Scott

3. Matian

Nonono... You know Tim? If you read this, you should probably tell him he has a lot fans out there and many of us thought he died, to be honest, because he never posted a reason of why he departed so abruptly.

I really hope you're not kidding me on this, but thanks anyway. Hope is better than nothing I suppose...

4. Zereebro

Zereebro Squib

5. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

It was a great read! Really brought back some Morrowind memories, enough for me to reinstall it. I too hope he continues.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've only ever played Oblivion. While I'm sure this story is great, do you know of any good Oblivion fics, Matian?

7. Matian

No, I unfortunately do not. I've yet to find anything good on FF.net, but I think if you search a little deeper into the various Elder Scrolls sites you might find something. If it's good or bad, I can't tell.

If you're interested, look over this list. I haven't read of them, but there might be some that are good.

Me too. Everytime I've gone back and read it again I've always replayed the game afterwards. The story has that effect.

Tim Cummings simple left the story with no words of why. He has, or rather had, a large fanbase that seems to be outside of the regular fanfiction communities. I don't think he is ever coming back since he left about three years ago.

I have kind of already posted that in my original post, but the sentiment is appreciated.

8. Scott C.

Scott C. Muggle

Not kidding you, Matian.... Sorry dude.

He's alive, and well, just not playing Morrowind anymore.... Apparently, Arvil got too strong to be an entertaining play, and when it got to the point where he had to scale him down via console, he lost interest.... Unfortunately, the story was based on his actual gameplay.

I told him about this thread. Perhaps he'll show, and speak for himself.

Cheers,
    Scott

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

10. Arvil Bren's Writer

Arvil Bren's Writer Squib

Hi. So I just looked at Blogger and figured out that I can't really follow it even though I built the structure. Since Arvil Bren I have posted whatever I've written on forums as AARs. It's been a lot easier. I'm looking for a place to repost the text of Arvil Bren in that sort of format, and finish it. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the dead thread revival, but this thread shows up on a google search for Arvil Bren so it seemed like a good place to ask.

11. Matian

Don't worry about necro'ing this thread. It's in the Library and your post is certainly relevant to the thread.

So you're Tim Cummings, huh? Nice. I hoped, I could garner some attention from either you or other fans by making this thread back in the day. I'm a big fan; that story was the first piece of fan fiction I've ever read.

Anyway, the best place you could possibly post Arvil Bren is at fanfiction.net. It's the largest place for fanfiction, although Morrowind, and the Elder Scrolls in general, is a rather small fandom. I think a part of the story is missing. I remember that there was 3 pieces, but I think Trail of the Archmage, the second part, is missing.

I hope you'll repost this somewhere. I'll certainly read it.

12. Arvil Bren's Writer

Deal. Account created at FanFiction.net on your recommendation. I'll be sorting out the mess at Blogger over the next month or so and will update here when it's moved. Then I'll figure out what to do about completing it.

13. Matian

Awesome. No, really. That's awesome. Could you link your new profile? I'll be sure to review your story at some point.

Also, probably not a bad idea to post something on the blog. You know, give a shout out about what's going on and such. There might still be people following the blog.

EDIT: just favorited your Fanfiction.net profile :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  14. Arvil Bren's Writer

I take that as a high compliment since said profile is not yet eligible to post anything. Two day hold.

I've figured out how to get to all the Blogger posts through my control panel there...accessible to me but I am not sure how a reader could actually see the entire thing if they tried. I'll start moving it over to fanfiction.net in forty day blocks next week.

I'm working on getting Morrowind installed and modded up. I don't think I can do 'Arvil Bren in the world of obsolete graphics' any more. I've got a volunteer to do a play through up to where I left off to get a game save. No promise on a timeline, but I will extend/complete things.

15. Seratin

High Score:
    You could always start a game in Skyrim with that character. Player character is caught stumbling over the border at the start iirc. Morrowind and Skyrim share a border.

Come up with some reasonably decent excuse to have Arvil move and you're set.

16. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And jump... 400 years in time?

17. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

A wizard did it. Or a nevarine.

18. Seratin

High Score:
    Yeah because Time Travel isn't a thing in Skyrim.

19. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

The locations would still be the same, just not the people or the events. You could do something with that if you wanted to make your own plot. Alternatively, you could screw the lore and just move him to Skyrim, ignoring the 400 year jump.

20. Matian

I thought the same, actually. Make a new Arvil Bren and shove him into the Skyrim wilds.

I doubt it would work, though. A lot of Arvil Bren's character is shaped around Morrowind. Take that away and there wouldn't be much of him left, I think.