1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Book 12 [Warning Massive Spoilers by Douches are now in play]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, May 17, 2009.

1. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

2. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Brace yourself indeed. Could be Butcher's misleading us and everything, but still, this has me all worked up.

Can't wait for book 12 :/

3. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

The thread seems to imply its a joke. If it isn't however then I think I just came in my pants.

4. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Quote by Jim.

Reply 376, page 38.

5. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

If it isn't a joke I hope they do something similar to a recent Supernatural episode where they have a relative join the show, only to remove him by the end of the episode. It would suck to have ParentDresden.

6. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

For all we know "our daughter" could imply Martin and Susan's daughter.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Like Immolo says, Susan could be referring to just about anyone. We have no context for the situation itself.

But let's be honest. How many serious sex scenes have been detailed in the series? Like, oh, I dunno, a half-vampire mad with lust and bloodlust getting some bondage-loving from our favorite wizard?

Butcher usually doesn't give us stuff like that without giving us the consequences later. Just saying.

8. Gafgarion

Gafgarion Second Year

Wow, that is huge! Let's hope that this spoiler is just to mislead.

On the other hand, Susan has been gone for too long, I was afraid that she was going to drop by in Turn Coat just to show that she is still (half) alive. Now she is going to come with a kidnapped and (possible) six year old half-vampire? I think that there are too much characters already...

Hey, talking about the Turn Coat, Ebenezar showed his journals and said that maybe Harry would have them, and even start his own jornals. Do you guys think that these jornals that he will write are "The Dresden Files"?

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think that theory was mentioned in one of the Turn Coat discussion threads.

Dresden's too young (relatively speaking, given how old he could live) to have a kid. I think that if Butcher wants Dresden to have a kid, he should do it later. Or something. I don't know, but adding a potentially half-vampire kid to the mess with Outsiders and Denarians and Archangels and insane Fae and angry vampires and all the other crap he's dealing with seems a little too much.

Then again, it could be lulzy. If this is true, I guess I'll have to see how it's done to really judge it. >_>

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I personally hope it isnt true. I mean Harry's already at a huge disadvantage when having to deal with the shit that comes his way. Having another weak spot is just too much.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I see both good and bad here. I think Daddy Dresden would be fun to read, and I'd enjoy it, but to be honest I never liked Susan all that much. I don't really want her moving in with Harry and taking a bigger role in the series. Plus, if there is a child he/she will probably stay with her so we wouldn't get much of Familyman Dresden, we'd just get another weak spot and a bunch of angsting that I could easily do without. I want to see Harry with a family at some point, but not like this.

That said, I trust Butcher. He's a damned good writer and wherever this goes I'm sure it will go in style. I'm not worried that we'll have a repeat of Books 6&7 where we watch things go downhill like a squirrel on a greased pole, so I am content to wait and see.

Also I just checked out the official thread over here and someone points out that it could also be something as simple as Susan coming to visit and playing a role-playing game with Butters and Harry. I don't think this is the case, it's a bit too far out there, but it does help illustrate the point that there are more options available than Harry suddenly having a kid.

I hope it's Martin's kid though. WTB Book 12 plzkthnx.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  12. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

In the 'Q&A Signings' thread in the Spoiler section of the Butcher forums, someone asked Jim to clarify whether or not it's Susan and Harry's daughter, rather than Susan and someone else's daughter. I'm gonna post the question and his response:

The first line of Changes… is the baby Harry’s?
    Harry is certainly meant to believe it is. Susan doesn’t correct herself and say, “No, I mean ours, as in mine and Captain Bland.” She is telling Harry that it’s his child.

Also, if someone is assuming the cast is playing an RPG and the line is a part of it...how often have we heard of them playing RPG's over the phone?

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dresden as a father would put a quick and brutal end to Harry/Molly. This doesn't bode well.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Interesting. So Harry is meant to believe it is his child. I wonder if this is a case of "It is his child but I don't want to spoil it for the readers so I'm going to be cryptic" or if it's a genuine "Susan is trying to make him think it is his child when it's really not."

The second one doesn't make much sense to me. Susan knows Harry well enough to know that he'd help find and reacquire the child whether it is his or not. Plus he'd figure it out pretty quick as soon as blood-related magic entered the picture.

As for an end to Harry/Molly... Well, that works for me just fine. I don't hate the ship, but I don't like it right now either. I like the idea of them getting together in 50 years or so, but right now it just feels too much like Molly is the kid/apprentice for me to get behind it. Plus I have to be honest and say that I sort of like Harry/Murphy.

EDIT: Seratin is plotting the death of Michael Flatley? But, but... Lord of the Dance is cool!

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Or it could be an inside joke.

Or a code phrase.

Or she could be talking to someone else, not knowing Harry picked up yet.

Butcher's not stupid enough to give Dresden a kid.

16. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Sounds like he just might be.

I'm not to worried. Whatever direction he decides to go with it, it'll be good.

17. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

It might also end up being Susan at first saying it's his, then saying it's not, but in reality it's his. Lame plot device but I've seen it often.

Also why is it always a daughter, and never a son? I always seem to read the main character having a daughter.

18. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know why in most cases but here if I had to hazard a guess Anlun Id say its because while no matter what if its Harry's kid hes going to do his damnedest to help him or her however he can, he's always been known for women being one of if not his biggest weakness so Id say its probably a daughter to go with that theme. However this is all based on the idea that it really is Harry's kid and that there really is a kid at all.

19. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I would really prefer Harry to be without a kid, but if it turns out to be Harry's daughter, I hope the bitch gets killed by the time Changes ends. I have wanted to see just how far Harry is willing to push. Witnessing, the death of his daughter might finally push Dresden into snapping.

20. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Susan's been gone a very long time. I would love if over that time, Susan hasn't remained as innocent as she was when she left. I never liked Susan either, and would love for this to be a plot to kill Harry. Harry would have a lot of trouble killing Susan.

I'm with others against the idea of Harry having a kid, especially a half vampire kid that seems to have come out of the ideas of a Twilight sequel.