1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Neomorphs by capnnerefir - T - Animorphs

Discussion in 'Books' started by Krogan, May 19, 2009.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Neomorphs series
    Author: capnnerefir
    Rated: T
    Pairings: It would give away plots points
    Setting: Post book 54
    Summary: A continuation of the Animorphs series beyond 54
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4566751/1/Animorphs_55_The_Prologue This is the first of the "books", hes on 69 and still going.

Alright so for anyone who was ever a fan of the Animorphs book series this is an incredible series that picks up where K.A. Applegate's shitty ending left off. Animorphs was and always has been one of my favorite book series and like many I was disappointed that Applegate continued her time honored tradition of killing her series at the absolute worst moments.

So for people who need a refresher because this series did come out and finish quite a while ago, Animorphs was a series about a group of kids who taking a shortcut through a construction site one night come across the dying Andalite Prince Elfangor who informs them of the secret Yeerk invasion and gives them a weapon to fight back, morphing. Yeerks are parasitic slugs who can take control of a host body by attaching themselves to the brain and then completely enslaving the host. Morphing is the ability to change shape into any being whose DNA they acquire by physical contact.

Now I haven't finished what all this guy has but so far I am loving this series, its written in the same style as the original books and aside from some basic mistakes its very well written and I highly recommend it to anyone who was a fan of the series.

Book 54 ended horribly with the enslavement of Ax to a mysterious being known simply as The One and Jake telling the crew to ram the Blade Ship and cutting off before the end. This series tells what could of happened in the confrontation.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I finished the first fic right now, shortish, but decent. You're right, he got Applegate's style down pretty good, though it's not really that hard to, considering she wasn't really doing anything fancy.

But I still didn't like it. The bleakness and darkness of the later books kinda turned me off to the series. It just kept getting worse and worse for them, and even when they won it was a big loss. And the end blew.

This fic though was pretty good, but it kept that bleakness of the latter books. And fuck, I don't want those two new idiots, I want Rachel and Ax back. -_-

3. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Well, they were six kids against a civilization. "Even when they won they lost" is kinda a realistic description of what would happen.

I loved the series. Found the ending to be bittersweet but awesome. (So much better than HP's). Gave a gander to the fic. First one's nice. But as Daffy said, Rachel was an indelible part of it. Her absence skews my interest.

And although plot wise we might not have been offered closure, book 54 was a pretty damn good place to end the series. So my interest in reading a post-54 fanfic is almost nil.

4. Krogan

High Score:
    Daffy Im really trying not to spoil it here but lawl theres the problem man you stopped too soon, theres not just this one, theres almost twenty more books if you go to his profile, keep reading his next books and you see that lots of the things you just mentioned get attention especially the last thing you said. <.<

Although I will say things stay fairly damn bleak as far as Ive read in this guys series but I havent even finished half of the books yet.

Edit: Ok I finished what hes got written so far and I am really impressed, this the kind of conclusion I always hoped for with Animorphs. Also I talked to him and he says he has at least planned out 6 more books, not including the next set of Megamorphs hes going to write.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  5. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Okay, so seeing this thread made me realize that I never finished the Animorph's series. I went and picked up the last one yesterday from the library, because I had always enjoyed the series and wanted to see how it ended.

The fuck, man. The fuck.

I'm not even pissed about Ax. Compared to the absolute shitty-ness of Rachel dying, Ax doesn't even register to me. At least beyond that god-fucking-awful ending.

I can't get over how pissed I am about Rachel. I get why it happened, and blah blah, but fuck. Shoulda killed off Cassie, instead. Hated her. Rachel was at least cool.

Jesus, that was a shitty ending. I'll try to read this fic later and review.

6. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Krogan, I fucking love you so much right now. Busy reading through 56, but 5/5 from me.

7. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Okay, so spoilers for the people who enjoy this guy's fanfiction.

Fuck, this just doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, but when I was reading it, something was bugging the fuck out of me. I figured out what it was. He kills off the main characters so much, that when one of them dies, it doesn't affect me like it should. Santorelli or whatever his name was, okay, didn't see that coming. But then you had numerous missions where they were intended to be 'suicide' missions, and they come back. And then Jake died. No biggie. After everything the author threw at them in his story, the death of Jake didn't really bother me at all.

The final nail in the coffin was when Rachel came back. I'm all for it, actually. But, fuck, it just read wrong. I was expecting like an actual emotional reunion. Instead, it basically happened like this.

"Sup, Rachel? How was being dead?"

"Ah, it was alright."

It didn't feel like a character coming back from the dead. It felt like she moved to a different town, and then came back to visit.

I liked it at first. It gets a solid 4/5 all the way up to 58. Book 59 gets a 2/5. I may try to read past that book later, but we'll see.

8. Krogan

High Score:
    Well you have a good point Sam but the way I look at it is that Applegate actually said word for word in an interview that she only killed Rachel because she felt someone needed to die in order to get across the fact that war is dangerous and Rachel was just the one she picked. No point, no reasoning she more or less just went Eenie Meenie Minie Mo Rachel, and then killed her off. If thats the reasoning that the woman who wrote the series comes up with then I can deal with this guys.

9. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

His writing is somewhat like Applegates, but I see too many grammatical mistakes for a 5/5, or a 4/5. Coupled with what I've discerned from other's comments, and my own love of the Animorph's series, I'm gonna have to give this a 2.5/5. I've read way better Animorph fanfic's than this one.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Considering how around twenty ghostwriters mastered Applegate's style, I'm not at all surprised.

11. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Then put them up for review! :awesome

12. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

He is bullshitting, he won't post jack shit for review, you should know that by now.

P.S. Didn't animorphs have a TV show? I seem to recall something I saw on global...

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  13. Krogan

High Score:
    Yes they did, it ran for two and half seasons before getting canceled due to poor ratings. The only mildly decent actor in it was Shawn Ashmore, the guy who played Jimmy on Smallville.

14. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I'll think about it.

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The show was horribly done, even by my lax 13 year old standards. All I remember was thinking, "Fuck, Rachel is hot, and that's good, but the special effects are terrible."

And they were. Andalites? They moved clumsily and stiff, and it was obvious that they were just puppets. At least, that's what I remember. <_<

16. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Do Hork-Bajir look like Beetleborgs?

17. capnnerefir

capnnerefir Guest

I was googling my pen name and found my way here. I figured I should say a few words.

Firstly: thanks, Krogan. I'm glad to know you enjoy the series and are recommending it to others. And thanks for not giving away spoilers, I'd hate for surprises to be ruined for someone who wants to read them.

Next, I'm just going to come right out and apologize for spelling and grammatical errors. Some of the grammatical errors are intentional (seeing as the character are not necessarily masters of the English language), but the spelling problems and typos are just sheer idiocy on my part. There's really no excuse for it and I should try much, much harder to fix that sort of thing. At the very least, I should have someone proofread things for me. I can't defend not taking those steps, so I'll just say that I'm sorry about that and move on.

To anyone who thinks it's rather bleak: I quite agree. The series ended on a bleak note and since I plan to write a long string of fics, I decided to work my way out of that slowly. The first few are very dark in nature, but, in my opinion at least, I think things get considerably brighter later on.

@Samuel Black: It's hard to respond without giving away spoilers, so if this is a little vague, I'll apologize in advance. I can somewhat agree with you. It's difficult for me to gauge the emotional impact of something, seeing as it doesn't come as a surprise to me. It's entirely my fault if I missed the mark with that sort of thing, and I can't blame you for being a bit turned off by it. I hope, though, that I improved in later installments and that you continue with the series. I myself am not too proud of the early books in the series, but I believe that if you continue, your opinion will be higher.

To all who have read some of the installments, I thank you. I hope everyone who starts the series continues with it, but from reading some of your comments, I find that unlikely. This is unfortunate, but to each his own. For those of you who plan to continue with Neomorphs, I'm always glad to have new readers. I doubt I'll return to this forum, but I figured I should stop by to say a few words.

If you wish to get in contact with me, either to give me your opinions on the series or because I overlooked a point you made here, you can send me a message at http://animorphsfanforum.com or over http://www.fanfiction.net

18. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Glad to know this story isn't abandoned.

19. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I only ever read four of the animorphs books, and I think two of those were Megamorphs. Elfangor's Secret, and something else that went through the story of the "god" and "devil" type characters that seem to like manipulating things for their own amusement (can't remember their names to save my life, though...). As I recall, I rather liked the books, so I think I'll give this a shot.