1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How long does a Wizard live?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oldmagic, Mar 6, 2006.

1. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

there are many fics i read to how long a wizard or witch can live. personall i believe that a wizard and a witch can live depanding on how much magic there body can have.

look at fumbledore, that guy maby one hundred something years old but in OOTP there were wizards who had dumbledore tested when he was a kid.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

And what is up with people not seeing other forums other than General Discussion?

3. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Have to agree with oldmagic. The more magically powerful you are the longer you will live. At his 150 odd years Dumbles would be the equivalent of a 60 yr old.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

considering the wizards can survive tossing iron balls at each other (bludgers are iron aren't they?) and major falls without scratches (Neville).. You'd think they would def. live easily twice as long.

There's been several studies that show we should live far longer then what we do, based off of discoveries on how certain types of cancer are seemingly immortal. I remember one conspiracy site breaking it down very well, and posing the question if we are bioengineered that way, b/c the way it's done looks suspicious.

Google telomorase and immortality and you'll come up with some interesting reading. You could easily explain wizards having more amounts of this and thats why the come back from injury so easy and live far longer

5. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

ok dumbledore looks like Merlin for goodness sake and the is suppose to be an equvelant of a 60 year old muggle. granted i donèt doupt your theory its just that the what about the old people that can to test the students in OOPT. there freakin acient. i donèt know if its me or that jkr really messed up the age thing.

i rather be a muggle than be a wizard any day. i am not going to be looking like an old fart for the next 400 years.

6. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Yeah long life is overrated. I wonder if old wizards get signs of age... You know, mental deterioration, loss of bladder control etc.

7. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Good point. But. DD is supposed to be the most powerful wizard along with voldemort, yet age seems to be catching up with him in book 6. Now these examiners must be ancient to have tested DD and still be around. That would suggest they are significantly more powerful, and if that is the case, then they are lazy little sods for not helping in the war.

8. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

didnèt you read the part where umbrige was talking to one of the examiners. he could barely hear anything from what she was saying. I still think that JKR fucked it up.

9. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

And you forget that in Book 6 that Dumbledore destroyed one of Voldemort's and was "desperately injured" in the process, he was not at his full health in Book six and it had little to do with his age.

10. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

i only read the part where harry started to like ginny and then i just threw it away.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

To the OT, sorry but I'll be highjacking this thread for a moment.

Oldmagic, everyone on this board has been extremely quiet about their disdain for a good amount of time now.

We've been nice, and have kept our comments to ourselves, however no more.

When Midknight stated that the gloves were off in relation to stupidity, he really meant it.

We've tried, and succeded in quiet a few cases of keeping our mouths shut but I feel that this trend of batshit stupid posts cannot be allowed to live.

To give you an idea, take this post for instance:

That is how you posted it, and I'm sure plenty of people were completely confused for a moment there.

This is how it should, and is expected to look:

Note the correct format.

The single other issue people (such as myself, Indo, Mucus, Mid and Syaoran) are having with you is how relative your posts are to the topic.

A simple explanation would be that a forum isn't a chatroom [ We have IRC for that ] and there is no reason to stray from the original topic.

When you respond to the people above you, if it doesn't relate to the topic of the thread, its highly fustrating.

This is called highjacking and annoys the Moderators, Admins and members alike, please dont.

A good guide to garnering better will when you post would be to follow simple guidelines:

- Look at the keys when you type.

- Google "Sentence Structure" and "Punctuation". When you have a problem, get some help.

- Stop after your done with your post and read it aloud before submitting, does it sound like your drunk? Edit the post before you post it, you'll catch loads.

We enjoy having such an active member around, and it brightens up the forum from being dead.

Just try not to drive us to suicidal behavior with batshit stupid stuff?

Note: I'm doing this in place of the Moderators and Admins, for their sanitys sake.

Complain/Whine excessively and they'll step in, and by the looks of Mids new whelp-stick the cleaning maids will be working overtime.

12. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I dont think age depends on magic. Because the only reason Voldy is going to live so long is a bunc of rituals. Hell Flamel had a stone to live. I think that they only live like 130 because of their immunity system is more advanced.

I think Dumbldore is so old becuase of those Lemon Drops.....he eats so many.

13. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

according to hpl madame marshbanks is about 168 years old in ootp which is about a 1 1/2-2 decades older than dumbledore. so based on that i figure maybe around 200 220 tops. other than that it doesn't say how old a wizard can get just that they live longer than muggles. sorta off topic but shouldn't wizards get fatter as they grow older. cause you never see a wizard who is overweight except kids from muggle families

14. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Yeah, I know what your talking about. In laymans terms, Telomerase = the ends of a shoelace. The shoelace is your chromosome. The more the lace is used, the more the end deteriorates. The more the ends deteriorate, the more you age. The thoery is that if we can replenish those ends, then we live forever. Wizards could probably do some crap like that.

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Link, no offense intended, but out of the folks I'd expected to reply to that, you weren't one of them. Mad brownie points man.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ah! That's where I remember the word from! lol, I was too lazy to google it, so it sat stewing in my head since you posted it. Yeah, we learned about it in bio class. 5 strand 3 strand, DNA polymerase, all muddled up in my head right now and will stay that way until the AP test in May, when I need to remember it correctly. But nice going Freshie.:)

17. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Thanks. :mrgreen: Well, I got into a BioTech class this most recent summer through JHU. That was one of the things talked about in a movie that we watched. That was also when I found the cicada on my shoulder.

18. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

I think wizards live as long as 300 years. Since there will is more developed to use magic that and the power of that magic determines how long they live.