1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing by Chewbot - Animal Crossing

Discussion in 'Games' started by Andro, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Title: The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing
    Author: Chewbot
    Rating: T by my judgment since none is given by the author
    Genre: Horror

Summary: I've always heard a lot of good things about Animal Crossing, but I never owned a Gamecube. When it was released on the DS it received such positive reviews that I decided to give it a shot, despite the fact that it appears to have been created for small children suffering from down's syndrome and ADD.

I was not prepared for the shit that goes on in this children’s game. The result is this.

I’ve documented the journey of Billy, a young, happy lad who believes he’s going off to have fantastic adventures at summer camp. The following images have not been altered in any way (other than to rescale them or to identify which dialog option is being chosen).

This is a literal and practically contextual account of what happens to poor bastards sent to Animal Crossing.

This is the true story of Billy.

Link: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Animal Crossing/Update 1/index.html

Review: It needs to be read to be believed. A fine narrative style that conveys the desperation Billy faces, and there are excellent plot twists. Recommended even for those that never played the game.

5/5.

2. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I would like it more if it had less pictures and more text, but I must admit that the pictures only add to it. The only problem is that I have dial up. I rate it 4/5, because while it is really funny, there isn't much text for each chapter.

Edit: Now that I've read the whole thing, I rate it 5/5. Now that I've read it, I wont want to play Animal Crossing again. The ingame plot will seem even weaker than it used to.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I remember reading this ages ago. Damn good read, and entertaining how it takes an innocent kiddy game and turns it into a sordid tale of debt slavery, child labour, and the occult.

4. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Its like taking Sesame Street and turning into American Psycho, love it.

5/5

5. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Very funny and I found myself pretty engaged. Will forward to friends not into fanfiction. 4/5

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy fuck, that's disturbing.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Reading this at 2am after a boat load of creepypasta is not recommended for your continued sanity. Also I laughed so many times during that :D.

Yahtzee's Review of it gets an honourable mention as well since it's in the same vein as this.

8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Wow; I'd never heard of the game, but that was one creepy story. Completely bizarre at every turn; I couldn't stop reading.

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I love this idea. Taking a kids game and twisting its plot and back story into a sordid violent mess. I think the start of this was brilliant. But by the end it felt like they took that idea and just rode it way off the rails.

I don't know the game, so there may have not been a way to tie in the story's ending with the game better, but I would've been more impressed if they had. Rather than just a dark interpretation and clever twist on a game this is just taking the start of the game and capping that idea with an unrelated fictional ending.

Worth a read, but I think it could've been better. 4/5

10. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

nonjon: I think it is particularly difficult in Animal Crossing's case. I believe the game has no ending. You continue to do chores for all eternity.

11. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Truth right here.

I had a friend a while ago that was obsessed with this game. Went on the fan-sites and had a whole check list of what items she still needed to get. Excel spreadsheets and hand-drawn maps of the town and where she needed to go to get the new fossils every day. Every day she weeded and she got her city to the top-tier "prettiness" level by planting a certain amount of trees in every area. She had to rearrange her furniture perfectly so they would rate her house well and give her a bonus item or something.

She got all the fossils and had only a couple fish and insects left to catch that would only appear during a certain season. Oh, and she was really close to getting the whole "100,000,000 bells in the bank" award or something. One hundred million.

This game can be bad.

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

This. I think I'll have nightmares of being Billy tonight. :eek:

14. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The link seems to be broken. Anyone have an alternative?

15. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Because it's too goddamn hard to go to the site's front page and ctrl-f 'Animal Crossing', isn't it, you fucking retard? No, you need it spoon-fed because your mother did crack while pregnant with you.

16. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Good idea that.
    And thanks for the link.

17. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

So...this story is so hilarious. XD XD I used to play Animal Crossing a lot, so I already knew the extent of Nook's depravity. D:

18. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ah, I remember finding this from its TVTropes page. Damn amazing story: humorous idea, but gripping story; amazing presentation. One of the finest fan-made things I've ever had the fortune to read.

Ash