1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Caprica

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Murton, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Spin off from BSG, WAY better imo. Insanely good plot, sideplots and fair decent actors. The cylon CGI was pretty fucking awesome and lots of near jailbait (Not JB in my country :p)

A must see for all Sci-Fi fans, makes a lot of comments on world issues likes religion and the internet.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Am watching it now. I certainly don't have a good streaming link and I certainly wouldn't give it out to people who PM'd me.

Edit:

Loved it. Well acted, well scripted, and a fascinating back story to the nBSG universe. But then I love all things AI so it had me. The gratuitous nudity was an unexpected bonus. I also love the Caprican society - like the rest of BSGverse it's great because it feels like we could really be at that level of technology in 50 to 100 years.

This series actually makes me like the religious side of the universe too, which always annoyed/bored me in BSG. We finally see a reason why the Cylons believed in God <_<

However, I'm not entirely sure about the BSGverse timeline and it's screwing my mind up trying to think about it lol. With all that cyclical time and everything. Anyone got a link to a nBSG timeline which established in what order what happens, exactly? I.e. original creation of the Cylons, second creation of Cylons, etc.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  3. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Try here:

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Timeline_(RDM)

That one is detailed enough for me, but there are other articles on the same site that go into more detail.

I liked the Caprica pilot too. I'm all for a sci-fi family drama of sorts, and I have faith that it'll be a good watch. And yeah, gratuitous nudity won't be appearing on the Sci-Fi channel, that's for sure, so I liked the addition in this pilot. (Also, I'm thinking the DVD release of The Plan might have a little nudity as well...)

4. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Is caprica airing now... I remember watching it when it came to dvd.

It was insanely good, there is no true way to express how impressed I was with it.

I mainly liked it because it was our society but not. I could see everything that happened in that story happen in our world had we achieved that kind of tech.

Unlike Taure, it was the Tech that did it for me. I'm a sucker for concept designs and this had me drooling.

Basically, watch it!
    For whatever reason you need, Watch it.

5. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Unlike Taure?

I loved the tech.

Did anyone else think that the Greystone's house looked like Baltar's house on Caprica from BSG? Is it the same one? Or in the same place maybe.

6. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I'm not much of a BSG fan; I've only seen the miniseries and a handful of episodes here and there. So when I saw Caprica it was a totally new experience for me.

The cast was excellent, in my opinion. Eric Stoltz was really good, and Esai Morales has an air about him that makes me like him. Both actors and characters were one of the better parts of the pilot.

My favorite cast member is Alessandra Torresani, the talented young actress who plays Zoe. I was surprised by how much I liked her character (and not because she's hot). I think this young woman has a long career ahead of her.

I'm looking forward to the show's January premiere. If the series can keep up the quality of the pilot, then I can see this as being one of my favorite shows.

7. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

The season premiere (pilot) airs tonight on SyFy with added footage and limited commercials.

8. mournthewicked

mournthewicked Mistress

I wasn't a big fan of BSG (I'm sure in a few years, I'll sit down and devour it and love it, but not right now.) but when I saw Caprica a while ago I really loved it. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of it. : )

9. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Holy shit. It's Mourn. The PYP thread you started is the longest enduring thread on dlp, bravo. It's been the source of much grief and lulz.

On topic~ I watched the pilot they ran last year and generally liked it. Although, it seemed a little like it was commentary on the 'War on Terror' etc. But since I haven't seen BSG I don't know if that's a theme they are simply carrying forward.

The main girl in it annoys me. On the other hand I am glad they didn't simply pick a stereotypical 'hot chick' to play that role. That said they did try to sex her up by shooting her in an 'Eve' pose for the posters.

I'm going to watch the follow up episodes to see how it plays out.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I have never watched BSG except perhaps the pilot once, is this worth me watching or wouldn't I get it without the back-story?

11. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I don't know anything about BSG either, Sorrows, and had no trouble following what was happening. Later on the boards I found out that this is a prequel to everything that happens in BSG.

So yeah go ahead and check it out. It's definitely interesting. Even though you feel like smacking the main character a couple of times...or three.

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Re-watched the pilot last night - does anyone know when the main series is going to show?

13. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Starts this Friday on Syfy.

14. mournthewicked

mournthewicked Mistress

Absolutely loving it so far.
    Although I wanted to slap Zoe's mother silly when she went all, "My daughter is a terrorist!". I mean, really? In front of all the people that lost loved ones? How stupid can you be?

15. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Third episode was excellent - don't know what it is about this show, but it's pretty cool in its own way (Must be the BSG fanboy love shining through).

16. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

I am enjoying Caprica a lot. It's really only loosely connected to BSG. The sci-fi elements are rather understated; it could just as easily be a near-future Earth setting.

Unfortunately, given the ratings the show has been getting, I think this is another one that will be lucky to finish the first season.

17. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Do I need to know anything about BSG to watch thisÉ I only seen one episode of BSG.

18. reggin

reggin Filthy Half-Breed DLP Supporter

Fucking awesome series!

19. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Nope. You might catch a few crazy little easter eggs, but to my knowledge, Caprica is still the prequel series here.

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    SPOILERS IN THIS POST FOR ALL THE EPISODES FROM THE FIRST HALF OF SEASON 1

So this has no reached it's mid-season break, and I'm still loving it. I have no idea how it has been received generally, or how good its ratings are, and what likelihood of it being picked up for a second season are, but I think it's pretty good.

If I had a criticism, it would be that its moving far too slowly. I think we should be at the stage of mass-production of Cylons by now. There's only so long they can stretch the "We have one Cylon, how can we make more!?" storyline. Though now they don't even have one, lol. It's frustrating, really. It makes you wonder if they actually have any story to tell after the Cylons go mass-produced.

Lol @ Amanda committing suicide. She always annoyed me. "My daughter was a terrorist". What an idiot. Bot!Zoe is also stupid. She should have revealed herself to her dad. What, she thinks the religious fundamentalists that killed her biological self don't intend to use her?

...in fact, the only character whose side I'm really on is Daniel's.