1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HTTP Connection Failure Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mors, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yeah, that's right. I can't access any HTTP pages. Both IE8 and Firefox show that the "server connection was reset" whenever I try to reach a page over HTTP. So I ran a diagnostics in IE8 and it basically said HTTP hates me. It did say HTTPS and FTP was working fine though.

So, of course, I'm limited to only sites that support HTTPS now, like this one. Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm guessing it's a server side problem though. No way two browsers would suddenly start choking like they'd just eaten cock over plain HTTP all of a sudden, especially since I haven't installed anything here for some time and it as working fine just last night. Still. Suggestions welcomed.

Let's see if this one actually gets posted.

P.S. I can't reach Google in HTTPS. I knew they were too good to be true. :(

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Possible causes:

Firewalls - usually the most common issue. Just disable or uninstall them.

Internet settings - remove any dial ups if you have them, proxy servers and such. You can find them on Internet Explorer's "Internet Option" dialogue, on the "Connections" tab. If you have anything in the list in there, just remove it. Check also the "LAN settings" button and uncheck/clear everything if it wasn't already the case.

You could always check if you didn't have some DNS servers set up manually, if it's the case remove them.

That's everything that comes on top of my head.

Since your connection otherwise works, I'd say it's probably something on your computer.

Edit: Regarding the dial up part - I suppose you use a regular ethernet/wifi router/modem, not USB modems and don't have any VPN or such things. But if you use them, then I wouldn't recommend removing the dial up connections.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Since it only affects http and not https, and both browsers, I assume it's a proxy setting in your router. You should be able tologin into your router interface (or at least get to the login page). If you don't know the login anymore, tough luck.

Unless there's a reset button on the router, of course ;)

4. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Thanks, lnky and World. The problem isn't there anymore. I didn't do anything, though... was going to try my hand at it today but I came home and it's suddenly finding Google again. o_0

Maybe the old piece of junk was just protesting against being left in a corner and visited once a week.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.