1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Curse of Durand by Nomad1 - K+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry Potter and the Curse of Durand
    Author: Nomad1
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Mystery
    Pairings: None
    Summary: When Harry returns to Hogwarts for his sixth year, he finds the entire school under an ancient and deadly dangerous enchantment.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2240670/1/

In Harry's 6th year, the entire school is encased in a impenetrable bubble that teachers had errected. The trio find out that it's NOT there to stop Voldemort, but rather to hide something from the student population... to hide what lays behind.

This is one of rare HP mysteries that are written well - interesting and well placed clues, new magical concepts and fresh ideas are always welcome.

Unfortunately, this story is as in-canon as a fanfiction can possibly be. Which means that Harry is a weak average idiot of HBP-like proportions, Hermione is a pure genious, Ron is a comic releif and a chess wizz... and together, they are invincible. Someone, please pass me a bucket. Seriously, Harry's character was a constant source of iritation to me and if there weren't for a great plot, I'd have dropped this faster than you can say Half-Blood Prince.

If you can stand blatant in-canon-ness and like a good mystery, this will do the trick.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    just couldn't get into it at all im afraid

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I'll give it a go... but I know I wont get very far.

4. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I tried to read it, I really did. But it was boring and I couldn't ...click with it.

5. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Wow. I'm actually surprised how good this is. I've read 10 of the 30 chapters, and it's still holding my interest.

IP82 was exactly right about how much this story is 'in-canon.' Not only do the characters behave exactly like early canon, but the author's style is engaging and mirrors that of JKR.

This is a sixth-year novel, but so far there's no sign of horcruxes or HBP spoilers. It seems to be totally AU. The school is surrounded by a mysterious dome to protect it from something on the grounds, and it's up to Harry and Co. to unravel the mystery.

There are clues along the way, and so far the only real flaw is that the characters are behaving like their 13-year-old canon selves rather than 16-year-olds. The characterization is good, but it gets a little tedious to see Harry remain a clueless idiot while Hermione effortlessly solves all problems. The K+ rating is certainly appropriate.

If you want to read something that feels like an AU canon story, this is it. 4/5

EDIT: I need to get back to my own writing, so I don't have time to finish reading this. I skipped to the end to see what happened, and I'll just say that the conclusion seems exciting and satisfying given what's come before. Just remember that there's very little true darkness here--the tone is remarkably similar to the first three canon books. It won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  6. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Just read the whole thing, and it's an excellent piece. Biggest downside is the usual Post-OoTP angst, but the story is very tightly plotted and people well characterised. Some thought was put into riddles, mystery and back-story, which is unfortunately not always the case in fics of this kind.

The author is pretty competent, and he managed to finish this thing, which is definitely a plus.

There was no romance here, which is a bit odd, but I didn't miss it at all.

4/5

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  7. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I didn't expect it, but this fanfiction is surprisingly good. It's close to canon in term of characters - but that doesn't bother me at all. This story has a good plot, the mystery is very well done and keeps me intrigued, the characters are very well portrayed.

Certainly deserves more than the Recycling Bin.

4.5/5

8. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

I couldn't get into this fic either :(

9. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I really wish this story was titled "Harry Potter and the Curse of Duran Duran."

That said, I read this a couple years ago, and was mildly entertained. The story itself was... simply average. 3/5.

10. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I read this shortly after darklordmike reviewed the fic and found it enjoyable after the first half a dozen or so chapters. It was a challenge to get immersed within it but once I was, I breezed through to the end. darklordmike, MK and Inky pretty much covered it all.

Only thing I was really unsatisfied with, from memory, was that there was no seventh year story to follow it up. Harry may have been at canon level, but the plot was well worth it and I believe it would've been an enjoyable, in-canon (up to OotP) fic.

4/5

11. Terrai

Terrai Second Year

The plot is great and the new ideas are interesting, but the character personalities made me... /facepalm far too many times. It is like re-reading HBP, except with a good plot. A 3/5 as far as of chapter 5 because I couldn't read it any further, shame...