1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Boo, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Boo

Boo Auror

A global cataclysm occurs which leads to the end of the world and has survivors struggling for their lives. The film is inspired by several hypotheses that state that the ancient Mayans predicted a doomsday event will occur sometime around the 2012 winter solstice.

2012 - Teaser Trailer

'2012' Trailer
    Release date(s) November 13, 2009

When the teaser trailer first came out, I heard people say "Ok, its a giant wave just fly over it."
    With the new trailer it looks a little more complex than a big wave.
    I like that you see some major damage being done. Its not gonna be one of those near misses, like Armageddon
    I kinda get a Deep Impact feel from it.

2. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This actually looks pretty damn good, I usually try and avoid these movies because for all their posturing and drama about how its the end of the world in most of them barely anyone at all ends up dying. If Im going to watch a movie about the end I want to see the entire damned world going up in flames thank you very much. My favorite was the bit near the end with the tidal wave sweeping the aircraft carrier into the city. The wave scene is why I originally saw Day After Tomorrow and loved it.

3. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

His voice was so epic.

EDIT: meant to be in Walter Cronkite thread. x_x

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  4. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

If someone in the movie says global warming I swear I'm going to burn down the movie theartre with a lighter and hair spray.

Otherwise yeah I actually want to see this movie too. Though I'm a bit concerned because it looks like the main character is a family man and those end of the world movies with the family man hero tends to suck so bad.

I also got a whole deep impact vibe and that movie kind of sucked harsh.

10 year olds getting married... pfft.

5. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I don't get it... tsunamis and giant balls of fire falling from the sky are things that we are more than prepared for... couldn't they just stay in a shelter?

=/

6. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I remember seeing a giant piece of the land break off and sink in the sea. that and a naval carrier being washed across washington. I think your dinky little bomb shelter wont stand a chance.

7. Krezter

Krezter Second Year

Have you seen The Knowing? That was a pretty neat ending:)

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

IRL related, Gov seems to think something will happen in the near future, they've been quietly moving stuff out of DC for years. I think the CIA's unofficial headquarters is in Denver or something, with a good chunk of the National Archives moves as well. Think we had a thread about it awhile back here, unless I'm thinking wrong.

Movie sounds interesting, will check the trailer later

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I would think they'd be doing that anyway - in a world of telecommunications/internet/fast travel, and massive weapons, it's retarded to have government centered in one geographical location.

10. The Deadman

The Deadman Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

I actually saw the trailer for this yesterday when I went to see Half-Blood Prince, and thought it looked pretty kickass. It was especially cool when the land started to break into pieces, and when the dude's driving a RV while trying to avoid the meteors.

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Eh, it looked stupid as hell. I despised Day After Tomorrow, and this seems to have just as shaky a premise. Perhaps they'll try to justify it with half-assed scientific concepts, but that doesn't make it right.

Seems like a mindless summer action flick - which is why releasing it in September (if I remember right) is a mistake.

12. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

At least the graphics look like they will be better then those lame ass wolves.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

DAT would of been better if there was a longer build up to the change, not just BLAM there it is. And the wolves were gay as shit.

14. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

I predict hilarious pseudoscience. In the trailer they show a volcano eruption (probably Yosemite, because It Will Destroy America!), simultaneous huge earthquakes across the world (footage of Catholics praying and Christ the Redeemer statue crumbling obviously picked to show There Is No Hope) that lead to fully Grand-Canyonesque city shots, huge fires, tidal waves hundreds of feet high (not even tidal waves, really, as it seemed the ocean just decided to expand upward massively and roll inland - where does all that water come from?), and California sinking into the ocean.

Sure, people joke about California falling into the ocean, but this film actually does it. In about five seconds, looks like. Amazing.

15. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Don't you mean Yellowstone? Yosemite ain't a volcano; it's a valley.

And yes, if Yellowstone blows, it will at least severely damage America. Along with a large percentage of the rest of the world. Not from the eruption, mind you. It's the ash which goes into the atmosphere and blocks out the sun worldwide for years. The eruption of Tambora, which was big, but nowhere near the size of Yellowstone, resulted in a summer where frost and snow were reported in New England and Northern Europe in June and July. I'm pretty sure the eruption of Mt. Pinotubo back in the 90's resulted in a couple degrees of global cooling as well, and that was a fairly small eruption.

That being said, I, too, predict hilarious pseudoscience. It's practically a requirement for disaster movies.

16. Boo

Boo Auror

Just saw 2012. Great movie. Classic story of a man protecting his family that he is not living with anymore.

From what I understood an increase in Neutrinos caused by increased solar activity heats up the planet core causing the Earth's crust to become unstable.
    This resulting in new fault lines and volcanos to pop. The planet also goes through Geomagnetic reversal, which leads to massive tsunami(s).

17. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Hold on wasn't the geomagnetic reversal shtick used in Day After Tomorrow?

Plot fail. Find some other reason. Next summer it will be invading Terminator aliens with a
    geomagnetic reversal ray
    and Will Smith will kick their ass. Maybe Chuck Norris too. "Walker, Space Ranger" starring Buzz Lightyear! :awesome

18. Boo

Boo Auror

No I think that was something about global warming and the North Atlantic Current.

19. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Which caused the shift. The only thing that is different here was the Sun and neutrinos. I even remember the cheesy computer model display they showed with all the terrifying imaginary waves moving about the planet. Still Plot Fail. I would think that
    the earth's core expanding or blowing up or whatever it did
    would be more than enough to cause the problems. Why add this? 'Cause it looked "cool" in another movie. :rolleyes:

What I want to know is why they didn't they
    send a superduper mining ship through the Earth's crust to relieve the pressure? That worked in The Core
    Never mind, that was a failed movie. Oh, but conveniently enough another plot point that was swiped. :D

I shouldn't be surprised. Really. It's either this or some really retarded artsy flick about yet another gay/challenged/crazy/ etc. teacher who beat the odds. I'd pick 2012 or a movie by The Rock (gag-vomit) every time. There's something to be said for mindless entertainment. When I go to the movies I don't want to think. It's the whole point.

20. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

The movie was a CG masterpiece. Everything else was a massive failure.

The sheer ridiculousness of the family surviving was mind boggling.

Apparently, Emelrich has his own set of rules when it comes to Physics, the Vatican gets hit by an earthquake and instead of crumbling and falling down, it tumbles over and rolls down the street.