1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Big weapons and armies.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cazten, Mar 12, 2006.

1. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

It seems odd to me that the most feared three magical spells are the imperius, cruciatus, and AK. In most cases these 3 spells are the final line drawn to show the difference between criminals and deatheaters. They make it sound like they are absolute monsters for using these three spells. look at GOF movie. everyone seemed scared for their lives and pissed and angry and upset over the use of the spells on a spider....

It seems very lame and gay to me to tell you the truth. Conjuring a shitload of propane in a building and then tossing a fire curse at it seems alot more destructive and scary....
    One would think that after thousands of years someone would of come up with some cooler spells made for mass killing, and in that case Voldemort would SURELY be using them. But no most people seem to think that the solution is making a multiple firing version of the AK curse....

It just seems so stupid to me. This is susposed to be a war between Voldemort and Britain. It seems more line a private sqauble between dumbledore and tom, or tom and the ministry. Then also in most cases you got the aurors who fight back. all 50 of them. For gods sake even many of the shitty 3rd world countries have armies! There has got to be somehting cooler for war than the 50 aurors employed at the ministry of magic.

I dont know how you all feel on this but if your currently writing some fanfics post ootp i feel it would be a good idea to employ some real world ideas. In real world war big shit gets blown up with big weapons, and lots of people die. its should be more like 50,000+ ministry aurors vs a few thousand DE's. The DE are probly better trained and dont restrain to use the most vile of curses, and they can do terrorist shit, like blowing up big ass buildings. Its hard to kill them cuase you dont know who they are, they have no defined borders, they are everywhere. Reminds me of the war in iraq a bit. I think thats more how it should be.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Fifty THOUSAND Aurors? I doubt there are that many people in Magical Britain period. And were there thousands of Death Eaters, why have we only seen like 25 or so tops named in the books? Why would about 20 or so Order members even think they could have any impact against such a huge force? In my works I place Voldemort's numbers at two or three hundred at the absolute maximum, and that's with him recruiting heavily among magical Britain's population during the 'war.' And why would Death Eaters be better trained that the Aurors, who are in effect the regular army? They're a bunch of half-baked revolutionaries playing lapdog to one wizard who fancies himself the Lord of Darkness. No doubt there are some powerful duelists among his ranks, but to say that they all should be basically the magical British equivalent to Army Rangers or something is ridiculous.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

4. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I'd agree with sera and mid, but that's at the peak of the war. The DE's rely on fear and their master more than their skill and numbers. 25 DE's could probably take diagon alley if aurors didn't show up. Not because they are all that powerful but because people are scared. This is reflected in a post I made a while ago that it was a tiny group of DE's, half of which were busy levitating muggles who scared off "hundreds of thousands" of people at the world cup in GOF.

5. True Story

True Story Third Year

I'm pretty much going to have them use Guerilla tactics and terrorism to get their point across in my fic. No unnecassary open combat with Aurors.

6. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

i may have been overboard with 50,000 aurors, But damn look at the world cup. there were so many firggin people there and thats just a sport. like people going to the superbowl.

There has to be a shitload of law enforcement to protect such a huge community. They may try their best to hide from the muggles, but if something happened they would have to have the resources to wage a war on the muggles. They would have to be able to protect wizarding society. Thats why we have governments.

and i think alot of deatheaters would have to be very good and useful wizards/witches. People dont fear weak people. They fear people who are going to rip each of their arms off very slowly and painfully.

7. True Story

True Story Third Year

Death eaters don't need to be strong they just need to have some potioned that will explode if they reach room temperature in the right place at the right time and well...... :twisted: ....Have someone there to set up the dark mark and jsut leave and they're cool. Kidnap people and kill them and their cool.......let loose some aggressive magical creatures......:twisted:

War with the muggles......Just imperio their leaders into fighting one another.....whipe them out....

And nobody ever said Aurors were the military...they're Dark Wizard catchers a branch of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement....Hitwizards are regular police......no idea about the army.

8. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I dunno about the numbers, catzen.

If there were more than a hundred Death Eaters, then considering that only about 15 showed up at the Graveyard..a lot of crucio would have taken place, i'd bet.

Despite this, i like the idea of a battle. I put the Death Eaters at 400 people, including 15 people who make up the Inner Circle and lead the battalions.

Aurors? Maybe a hundred. When you can apparate, it's not like you need a shitload of people to cover magical britain.

Order: 40 people. No more...It's practically an inner circle itself.

Hit Wizards? I don't count them at all. I stick them in with the Dept of Mysteries, which makes them Unspeakables. They are basically like spies for the british govt. Maybe 5 of them, no more.

That is why poeple bow down before DEs...there's 400 of them, and a bare 150 people to defend against them. Plus, Voldemort counts for a hundred people, while Dumbledore counts for twenty. I say twenty because he doesn't kill...you stun someone, within half an hour, max, they'll be on their feet again.

I love battles, but it does get out of hand to think of thousands of Aurors. What for? We already know that the requirements for getitng into Auror school are quite high. Not so many people become Aurors each year, and if you remember, McGonagall said something about the last two years not yeilding a single Auror.

At the world cup, it was basically THE match to watch. Big names, big teams. Since the World Cup spanned the whole world, it would make sense to have a shitload of people from different countries arriving. In that case, we're looking at maybe 40,000 people from about 80 different countries.

Hogwarts only graduates about 30-40 students a year.

I dunno...that's what i think. I con't imagine there ever being more than about 500 DEs, and 150 Aurors

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I can't imagine a "war" with only 20 people on each side...it just wouldn't seem right. I'd have to go with many more than that on Voldemort's side. And I'd have to go with many more on each side, it would be too easy to annhilate the other team otherwise.

10. Ginny Killer 2.0

Ginny Killer 2.0 Third Year

right behind you breathing down your neck
    recruiting from other countries always works.. y is it that except for book 4 all the wizards you see are are from hogworts. it is rather stuiped on j.k's part. i mean only like 40 people graduate from hogworts each year...... where the hell do all the people come from then. you have to take people from other countries or it doesnt work

11. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

In POA we hear that serius was soruonded with a dozen hit wizards..

12. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

I think it's logically that Voldemort will have about 200 De including werevolves. Order about 30 people and Aurors about 100 including the Azkaban ones.
    In OoTP when Harry is going over an auror Departament there isn't much people and space there.

In my fic I will make Kingsley the new Minister. What do you think?

13. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Agree. what about the curse pettigrew used to blow up 13 muggles?

14. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

it's not really two armies.

the death eaters are terrorists. it's not quantity, it's quality of mayhem.

15. True Story

True Story Third Year

Yeah and not to mention that I straight up got my definition of Aurors and Hitwizards from the lexicon.....Guerilla warfare would be more than enough to strike fear in the hearts of the citizens of magical Britain. Not knowing who the enemy really is....Not knowing where they'll strike next...

Is it ever actually stated that Unspeakables are spies? That department seems to R & D to be MI to me....

16. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I had know idea Unspeakables were spies, it has never occured to me. I just thought they were super clever wizards researching things powerful and wonderous magical artifacts and branches of magic.

17. Lady Rebecca

Lady Rebecca Professor

American by birth, Southern by the grace of god (A
    Of Unspeakables:
    -Mr. Weasley

They seem like reaserch scientists to me.

It seems that Voldemort would only have a few close, then a small army backing him. He cultivates fear like prized roses, it makes the sheep of the wizarding world fearful and they cry and run around like chickens with out heads. Dumbledore is the beacon of light with his wonderous tightly knit group of lackies that come and clean up the messes. The Ministry is the Government force designed to take on normal things with a few aurors that act as main forces to protect the people, rangers paid by the government.

I always imagined a few million people being magical as magicl can't be too wide spread. It would gain notice, like dwarfism only hideable.

18. Anomaly

Anomaly Guest

JKR said somewhere that there are approximately 1000 muggles to every wizard. There are 60 million people living in Briton last I checked. That’s 60000 wizards and witches. On average there are 40 magical children per year at Hogwarts. 7 years that’s 280 maybe 300 students. The Unspeakable’s I look at as research/ intelligence possibly the equivalent of MI5. There probably arn't more then 50 people involved in the entire department.

Aurors I’ve always looked at as the police force of the magical world. The named/mentioned Aurors in the books total maybe 20 or less possibly going up to 100 at most. The Hit-wizards are more like the soldiers/army of the wizarding world in my opinion(though I may be wrong) I cant remember if anything specific was said about them, but I doubt there would be more then three or four squads of them at most. (A squad being 5-8 people)

All in all I think that including all the ministry personnel the number of ministry of magic employees defiantly wouldn’t exceed 600-1000 (which is a 60th of the total population of magical Briton)

The inner circle of the order is maybe 5 members containing Moody, Dumbledore, McGonagall and maybe Kingsley and Mr Weasley. That being said the Order of the Phoenix has what, 20-30 members mentioned? Which is about the equivalent of the total Auror force? Judging by the Order’s size, they would only be able to spy on know Death Eaters or combat small Death Eater raids at most.

On that train of thought, the inner circle of Death Eaters is 20-30 people, indicating that there are a far greater amount of people in the dark lords’ services. Judging by the amounts of other factions in the wizarding world i'd say the dark lord has maybe 100-150 wizarding supporters, that’s without counting any and all dark creatures that will support his cause.

That still leaves over 58000 wizards and witches un-accounted for… anyone got any further ideas on this subject?

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Those numbers don't add up...if you take the number of people at Hogwarts each year and multiply it by 150 (generous estimate of a wizards life expectancy) then you get a number around 10000. There were only so many people at the quidditch world cup because it was an international event.
    Personally, I think that Voldemort only has 50 or death eaters - he runs a group of terrorists, not an army.

20. Anomaly

Anomaly Guest

Thats my point the numbers only work if there are only around 6000 wizards in the UK not 60000 like jkr said. the numbers would be MUCH bigger otherwise. Like 10 times the amounts i posted.

As to the dark lords forces, with 20 people in his inner circle thats one inner circle member to every 5 other members, which isnt that far fetched is it? If they opperate in teams that means two team leaders and 10 followers, 12 people 10 teams thats a fairly small organisation.