1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Power by DarthBill - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: The Power
    Author: DarthBill
    Rating: M
    Genre: General (complete AU)
    Pairings: None (probably H/Hr/R triangle)
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 48,757
    Updated: August 25, 2009
    Published: January 26, 2006

Summary: This is an AU story that will contain all 7 years. Harry is smarter and has some new abilities. He will probably go through several girl friends.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2772010/1/

This is another complete all-out AU - meaning that the author twists Harry's character a little and then pulls him through the original HP books.

In this instance, Harry has a strange ability to consume magic, making him tired and letargic when around Dursleys (non-abusive kind) but kinda sugar-high hyper when at Hogwarts. Since he doesn't need much sleep, he spends most of his nights going through books like candy, thus making himself smarter than that little shit from the canon.

Other than this, there are ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGES from the canon storyline at all - the whole plot is simply copied from the JKR's books, in scene by scene kind of way. Harry may solve some problem differently and act smarter (like blowing the troll's head off and disliking Ronald from the start), but the final results are always the same, probably so that the author wouldn't have to strain his brain and invent something original for a change.

The only redeeming thing is that the author is skipping through all the unchanged scenes, making the whole copycat thing relatively bareable.

So in general, this is an interesting twist to Harry's character, but the plot is sadly lacking in originality - not much more than in a bunch of other AU's, but still... Like this, it's an interesting and relaxing read, but it could have been much better.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Bah it was boring. The power was different and cool but dear lord this guy is unoriginal. I think you should have put it in the Unrecommended Fanfic thread.

Nice idea but everything else suxs.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No, the crappy plot didn't bother me much coz everything is happening so fast. I mean, it's barely 20K and he's already into the second year.

It's kinda like that Roskbyte's Hellraiser crossover - maybe he's just building it up towards some interesting conclusion.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Hopefully... we can pray, right?

I might give it a go but I'd rather wait a see if it actually gets more original.

5. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

Meh this story is ok. The magic thing going on with Harry was intereting, but thats pretty much the only thing I liked. I hope that DarthBill would change the plotlines - at least a little bit. BTW I"ll keep watch on this one.

6. razz

razz Seventh Year

It's well written and all but … for lack of a better word, unoriginal.

7. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I dunno...i liked it.

I liked the way he wrote Harry, i thought that was rather well done. Harry dislikes Ron, which is a plus, but it is a bit putting off that he doesn't go all out and actually tell Ron to piss off.

I've been following this fic on FicWad, and i have to say, i liked it. Sure, it follows canon, but the way he's writing it, i'd much rather read the way HE writes Book 7 than the way JKR writes it.

He is a good author, you have to admit...even if he's using a well worn idea, he's doing it without grammatical mistakes or typos, and it's generally interesting.

I guess, my point is that if someone who didn't read the books read this, they would like it a lot more. Featuring Independant!Smart!Not-idiot!Harry is also good.

I just hope he stays away from Ginny in canon...it does say that he'll go through a bunch of ships, but i will be pissed off if it ends up as H/G, H/Hr or any irritating pairing like that.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought it was OK, if a bit rushed, until he met Hermione on the hogwarts express and then decided to be her best friend. He dropped Ron, so why can't he drop Hermione as well?

9. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    DarthBill is on this site so you can prob ask him wats going on. And since he iIS on this site, I think no Ginny is a sure bet.

10. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Meh, I think Hermione's character has potential as long as you tone her down a bit, which is exactly what I intend to do. Also, the further it gets from the beginning, the further it gets from canon. It may not be really noticable now, but it will.

11. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

And Ginny will definitely not be a love interest of Harry's. Though, she will definitely be mentioned a few times. :twisted:

12. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Your last two posts are within three minutes of each-other. Please use the edit function instead of double posting. I can understand if it's an hour or more after your post, but not just to add a tidbit to your last post.

13. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Just got around to reading this, DarthBill, and it's...silly. But fun.

It moves along so fast that it often reads like a summary rather than a story, but there's enough humor and hi-jinks along the way that it remains mostly entertaining. You made no attempt at characterization, but I gather that was intentional.

This is my favorite line in the whole story:
    LOL. Perfect delivery on the last line.

3/5

14. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Thanks. I pretty much gave up on this story two years ago. I only finished it because I didn't want to leave it open.