1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Minister's Son by Inibaz aka Master Slytherin - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Minister's Son
    Author: Inibaz aka Master Slytherin
    Rating: T
    Genre: The Alternates
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 20,796
    Updated: Jun 28, 2015
    Published: Aug 5, 2009

Summary: AU. Fudgeritus – that’s right, Fudge has Harry taken from the Dursleys a year before he goes to Hogwarts. Includes an alcoholic Mrs Fudge, Malfoys, Dumbledore the Muggle-born activist, Tom Riddle and later an Azkaban escapee.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5278523/1/The_Ministers_Son

A well-written and interesting AU where Harry is introduced to the wizarding world early by people who Dumbledore would not approve of. Very original, and already the plot is diverging away from canon - no Philosopher's Stone mystery in sight.

Checked by Minion, June 29, 2015
    Attention: Master Slytherin will move the story to his main account in a few days (so expect the link to expire)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
  2. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Seconded. I just finished reading chapter one and I'm impressed. I'm intrigued since i have never read a story that places Fudge as a main character alongside Harry Potter.

5/5 for me.

edit: I liked the minister's wife, and nice plot twist at the end of chapter 3

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Judging after only one chapter, and with a 5/5 rating is usually seen as bad form. However, I will agree that the story is goo and worth keeping an eye on. One of the criticisms that I would levy is that Harry is only 10. Usually a story about a ten year old, especially in the author's current plot line, would turn out to be rather boring.

I'll refrain from rating right now, but the story is worth reading.

4. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

5/5, good catch Taure, much better than the HarryGinny.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not bad, very readable, but not exceptional. 4/5

6. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Tuare, I don't know how you spotted this gem, but nice find! I like it very, very much. I'll wait for a few more chapters before giving a definite rating, but so far it's getting at least a 4.5 from me. Given the way the plot is rolling along, and just the way the narrative holds your attention, I'm not too worried about it becoming boring any time soon.

Ah! I'm excited.

7. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Not much has happened in terms of plot, yet I still enjoyed it. I think it's one of those rare stories where every scene contributes something to the plot or to the characters.

Moreover, the characters are in character, and a young Harry hasn't yet become whiny and useless. I'm curious to see how Harry's political experiences make him more mature.

I won't rate until I see the plot begin to develop, but it's off to a great start.

Quite true. Fortunately, the end of chapter 3 hints that the plot may be picking up. Assassination/kidnap attempts always build character :). Here's to hoping that Harry begins to form his own opinions about Muggles in the aftermath.

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Very interesting start to a story, and if I'm not mistaken, the first time that Fudge's wife has ever played a significant part. I love that Harry immediately dislikes Draco, doesn't hang on Nicole and Cornelius' every word, and wants to be like Kingsley - and the latter bodes well for the story. Hopefully we won't be forced to wade through seven years of bullshit we've all seen before and, if we're lucky, Kingsley will snatch him up while he's at Hogwarts.

Still far too early to rate though.

9. royalduke

royalduke Backtraced

I hate you Taure, I was going to put this story up for review, but I didn't because people here don't like short fics(unless one-shots) Looks like you beat me to it.

10. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

This story is very good, I like that Harry is forming his own opinions of this new wizarding world and isn't just agreeing with everyone.

The end of Chapter 3 really upped the story, cannot wait for the update.

11. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

An interesting start to what could be an interesting story - a real political!Harry for once (and hopefully one who knows how to get down and dirty).

There are a million stories in which Harry meets the Malfoys and develops some sort of relationship with them, but I'm still waiting on one in which Lucius decides that Voldemort was a bad thing for him and his family and actually supports Harry against the Dark Lord before he comes back.

A Lucius who is actually on Harry's side (for his own gain, of course) would be a refreshing read for me. Let's see if this author goes for it.

12. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Well, it does feel like Harry is shaping up to be a quite competent wizard. Looking forward to seeing how he´ll be in a few years.

I´m just going to say something I´m probably not allowed to say as a relatively new member but what happened to the ethic of not posting a story until it had a few chapters? It seems like every story posted here these days are max 5 chapters and half of the reviews consists of "I will hold of judgment until the story develops a little further".

Anyway, the story is promising but not enjoyable to read in it´s current form. Since it´s posted in it´s current form, 2.5/5

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know about other people but it usually only takes me a few paragraphs, sometimes the whole first chapter, to know whether I'm going to like a story or not.

Which is pretty much what the publishing industry does too.

14. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

Yeah. I can tell I like the writing style and pacing. I'm only holding off rating because the plot is getting more complex, and I want to see how the author handles the first arc of his story. If it goes well, I'll have confidence in him for the rest.

15. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Primarily, I would assume it's different for fanfic in that we don't know if the author is going to continue, and a library of what amounts to scores of good plot-bunnies isn't really the point.

Secondly, plenty of stories prove remarkably capable of crashing and burning. Usually they build you up for a few chapters, and then it all comes crashing down. Hence, a good idea to wait.

In regards to this story, I like it. 4/5 for now, but only because I almost never give fives in the for review.

16. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Im unimpressed personally. Right now, it just seems like yet another, 'Harry enters the Wizarding world early and meets the Malfoys' fic. The only difference this time is that hes been adopted by the Fudges instead of Snape.

However, the writing is good, and the pacing is relatively quick. I wont give it a proper rating until theres more, but as it stands now, it would get a 2/5.

17. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Too early to rate it, but so far it's interesting, which is good.

18. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't find any of the characters likeable. Sure, the power relationship observation in the adults' conversation could be intresting, but meh. Still, I wasn't wholly bored.

While too short to rate, I'd give it 3/5.

19. Trulle

Trulle Second Year DLP Supporter

I like it, and hope the author continues with this level of performance. 4/5

20. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This is a promising start, although there's not nearly enough to judge the story on yet. I'm reserving the rating for another couple of chapters, but right now I'd give it a solid 3.5/5.

On the plus side: It's pretty rare these days to find a canon-restart formula I haven't encountered before, so the author gets points for that. The writing is fluid and reasonably competent, which earns points as well.

On the down side: I suspect this is going to end up being OC-heavy, which is rarely a good thing. Also, Harry hasn't gotten to Hogwarts yet, so there's still the possibility that the author is going to jump through their own asshole in order to write Hermione as Slytherin!Harry's BFF.

/Also, "Fudgeritus" = EPIC win.