PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cyclops
08-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Frank Darabont circles zombies
AMC attacks comic series adaptation
By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.

Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.

"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007161.html?categoryid=10&cs=1&nid=2248

Necrule Paen
08-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Awesome, hope they do a good job with it. One of my favorite comic series.

Cyclops
08-12-2009, 01:45 AM
There is so much that can be done since it will be a television show and not a movie like I always thought it would be. A series will have much more time for character development, etc.

Is this going to be the first ever zombie television series?

Dethklok
09-05-2009, 10:23 AM
They better take it all the way with the violence and the gore and the social commentary. They better not water it down for TV. I hate that.

Xanatos
09-05-2009, 12:42 PM
There is so much that can be done since it will be a television show and not a movie like I always thought it would be. A series will have much more time for character development, etc.

Is this going to be the first ever zombie television series?

There was actually a british zombie television series, called Dead Set, which was based around the idea that Britain turns into Zombie land, and the last people left are the retards in the Big Brother house. Was not bad actually.

Cyclops
01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
AMC greenlights 'Walking Dead,' 'Killing'
Cable network gives go-ahead to pilot duo
By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

AMC has given greenlights to two drama pilots, "The Walking Dead" and "The Killing."

"The Walking Dead" is based on the graphic novel series about survivors of a zombie apocalypse by Robert Kirkman. Frank Darabont penned the adaptation and is on board to direct. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion will exec produce with Darabont.

"Walking Dead" revolves around a group of survivors, led by a police officer, who travel the country in search of a safe home.

Working with people like Frank Darabont and Gale Anne Hurd is the right way in for us to deliver a project of distinction in this genre," AMC prexy Charlie Collier said.

"The Killing," from Fox Television Studios, is based on the popular Danish TV series, "Forbrydelsen." Veena Sud ("Cold Case") wrote the pilot and will exec produce with "Burn Notice's" Mikkel Bondesen is also exec producing.

"Killing" is described as a crime drama that turns on the murder of a young girl and the investigation that ensues. Story is told from the perspective of a femme investigator "who cares more for the dead than for the living," said Joel Stillerman, AMC senior veep of programming, production and original content. It's focused on the character but has touches of a psycho-horror pics a la "Silence of the Lambs," he said.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014051.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2562&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+variety%2Fheadlines+%28Variet y+-+Latest+News%29&utm_content=Twitter

Inverarity
01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
They better take it all the way with the violence and the gore and the social commentary. They better not water it down for TV. I hate that.

I think the gore will pretty much have to be toned down. If they show everything that's shown in the graphic novels, it would have to be NC-17.

Also, I'm not sure how TV audiences will react to a series where every character is expendable, including children. I mean, you read an issue of Walking Dead and you know that any given character has maybe a 50/50 chance of surviving to the next issue.

MattSilver
01-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I think the gore will pretty much have to be toned down. If they show everything that's shown in the graphic novels, it would have to be NC-17.

Also, I'm not sure how TV audiences will react to a series where every character is expendable, including children. I mean, you read an issue of Walking Dead and you know that any given character has maybe a 50/50 chance of surviving to the next issue.

If the audiences don't like the losing characters, just explain that its like Survivor - their favourite may be "voted off" in the episode, and never seen again... That, or they'll get over it.

Never read the comic myself, but I'm a huge zombie and AMC fan, so I might check this one out.

Cyclops
01-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Exclusive: A review of the pilot script for The Walking Dead TV series

http://coronacomingattractions.com/news/exclusive-review-pilot-script-walking-dead-tv-series

Loki
10-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Huge ass bump. Pilot officially airs in 10 days.

Has anyone kept up to date with the comics?

Cyclops
10-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Although the series doesn't premiere until Halloween, the pilot has already leaked. So far nothing but good things have been said.

h2o
10-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Watched the Pre-air last night... not gonna spoil anyone but I liked what I saw. A lot. It was scary, it was funny and just.. awesome.

I love post-apocalyptic & zombie movies... but this will probably be the first tv show in that genre that doesn't turn to shit after 5 episodes. Like say... Jericho. Sadly, this only has 6 episodes for the first season and I'm already hungering for moar. This show is gonna win awards.

Now, onto the first episode...
What an ending. I really thought he was gonna snuff it!
"Hey you, dumbass. Yeah you in the tank. Cozy in there?"
So awesome.

MattSilver
11-01-2010, 05:00 AM
Watched the premiere. Maybe I'm just a sucker for zombie films, maybe it's the fact that this is a zombie apocalypse serialised character drama on TV (Never thought I'd see one of those) or maybe it was because the pilot was just awesome, but I am so fucking in.

Dethklok
11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Loved it, hated that it ended. I hope it delivers on my hopes and dreams and keeps the gore high.

And I did not know that Rick Grimes is played by a British actor. He has the Georgia accent down right.

Huh.

Fimbulvintr
11-01-2010, 05:45 PM
That poor, poor horse. 'There might be other horses too' my ass. Just goes to show you, don't ever trust a human...

Lutris
11-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Horsey ;_;

/filler

Euroclydon
11-02-2010, 03:11 PM
An here I was thinking that the horse had more upside, as far as transportation goes, than the car.
QQ

Lamora
11-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I was kind of hoping the horse would be undead, kind of like in the new Red Dead expansion pack, which would mean the deputy could gallop it forever without feeding it. But I guess it is the walking dead, not the riding dead.

Perhaps a zombie dog, then.

'rimshot'

Seratin
11-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Just watched it. Awesome show. Also, who wants to bet that the main character's partner has been boning his wife since before the zombies came along?

Also, in tribute to Horsey;

My lovely horse, running through the field
Where are you going, with your fetlocks blowing in the wind?

I want to shower you with sugar lumps, and ride you over fences
Polish your hooves every single day, and bring you to the horse dentist

My lovely horse, you’re a pony no more
Running around with a man on your back, like a train in the night... like a train in the niiiiiiiight.

Xiph0
11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Saw the premiere, liked it.

artenry
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Watched it, loved it.

I found the gore, special effects, and acting very nice, and I hope they keep up this kind of quality.

Was sad about the horse, although the, "Hey, you dumbass. Yeah, you in the tank. You cozy?" made me :awesome

Boo
11-06-2010, 08:24 PM
http://208.116.9.205/10/content/24750/13.jpg

I was thinking this when the guy had more than 5 shotguns strpped to his back.

Hashasheen
11-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Watching the first episode right now. Anyone else freak out when he nearly rode the horse into the wall of zombies? :eek:

Edit: Goddamnit, not the horse. It had so much to live for ! :(

Spanks
11-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Oh Horsey how I will miss you ; _ ;

Seriously, I was more upset with the horse dying than watching the little zombie girl get her brains blown out.

Dethklok
11-08-2010, 01:41 AM
2nd episode...liked it. Didn't love it the same way I loved the first episode, but the first episode had that new TV series smell and I was hella excited.

2nd episode was good and went by too fast.

The only thing that bugged me was Michael Rooks. He played this racist, redneck-type who seems to have missed the exit to the Klan rally. I didn't see how in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, the breakdown of civilization, there's still some asshat who feels the need to be racist.

I guess that's fridge logic.

White Rabbit
11-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Come on bro, you've been around long enough to know that a good percentage of people on DLP are assholes, and faced in a situation similar to the show would continue to still be assholes.

Well, till someone chained them to a roof or killed them, but that's besides the point.

artenry
11-08-2010, 02:57 AM
So... what happened to Glenn?

Dilla
11-08-2010, 02:59 AM
I assume that that strip of highway is the only clear way out of the city so he will stop and wait somewhere down the road outside city limits.

Or Grimes told him where to meet back up with the rest of group at some point.

artenry
11-08-2010, 03:01 AM
With the siren going off, possibly bringing in every Walker for miles around? I hope that Glenn knows how to turn off the alarm, lol.

MattSilver
11-08-2010, 03:11 AM
"One more thing... he's an organ donor." :awesome

Dilla
11-08-2010, 03:18 AM
With the siren going off, possibly bringing in every Walker for miles around? I hope that Glenn knows how to turn off the alarm, lol.True, but he's on an interstate so he should be alright, for a little while anyway.

Is it hard to deactivate a car alarm? I don't think it would be, but I have no experience with it.

Goreshade
11-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Watched both episodes with my parents, siblings and my girlfriend, the whole family is loving it. Glenn is everyone's favorite character so far.

fuubar
11-08-2010, 04:17 AM
While I do like the show so far (just now finishing the first ep on hulu) this guy is so painfully non-genre savvy its actually really funny. I mean seriously, when you see that the army has abandoned the tanks its time to go the other way LOL.

Lutris
11-08-2010, 06:14 AM
/proudly displays his Asian card

/rides away in an awesome red car with the sirens wailing

WOOHOOHOOOOOO YEAAAAAH HOHOOOOOOOOO :awesome

w1lliam
11-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Glenn kept reminding me of Short Round from Indiana Jones so much that i had to google it, long story short not him, but i so wanted him to be.

Im gutted that there's only 6 episodes to the first season but im happy that they've picked it up for second.

This was a great epsisode of television; it had zombies, guts, blood, racism and guns yet the main problem i had was how quickly it ended, it needs to be longer.

Xiph0
11-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Glenn kept reminding me of Short Round from Indiana Jones so much that i had to google it, long story short not him, but i so wanted him to be.

I know right? He's definitely playing that kind of character.

Custer
11-09-2010, 02:04 AM
This looks awesome. Can't find the second episode online though. Does anyone know where it's being streamed?

Hashasheen
11-09-2010, 02:31 AM
This looks awesome. Can't find the second episode online though. Does anyone know where it's being streamed?
Check your messages.

Seratin
11-09-2010, 02:16 PM
This isn't the last we've seen of crazy coke-taking racist. Putting it out there now.

Hashasheen
11-09-2010, 03:09 PM
This isn't the last we've seen of crazy coke-taking racist. Putting it out there now.
Didn't really like him. Not because of the racism, but his voice... :facepalm

Krogan
11-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Check your messages.
Could I get that link too bro?

@Seratin- You just know he has, you don't get that cold just hide the ring and keep going from a simple thing that started after he Rick got left behind.

Hashasheen
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Could I get that link too bro?
Delivered. :)

Krogan
11-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Delivered. :)
Thanks, I appreciate it, I'd been looking for it for a while with no luck.

QuaziJoe
11-10-2010, 03:45 AM
I'm enjoying the awesomeness but not looking forward to after the family reunite and the awkward tention that will occur after finding out Daddy's alive.

Part of the awesomeness is he is exploring the world of zombie Apocalypse with out any ties.

I haven't read the comics so that is speculation.

But I am definetly liking the attention to detail for this series and the logic behind the zombies.

Also
http://chud.com/articles/content_images/46/WalkingDead-HorseBuck.jpg

Any one else get a Red dead redemption vibe?

BsuperB
11-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Still waiting for both the episodes to hit stream sites I check, maybe I'll get lucky, maybe not, we'll see.

Either way, thought this might calm those of you who were pushing for a second season; Your wish has been granted; http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=28804

Dethklok
11-15-2010, 02:04 AM
3rd episode...

Looks like trouble in paradise. Rick is reunited with his family, and Shane's put out, leading to a whole lot of misplaced anger.

Beyond that, I love this show. I hate the fact that there are only 3 more episodes in this season.

Hashasheen
11-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Out of the two rednecks, I like the younger brother more than the older brother. He's more useful thus far. Plus the older one was a retard for not sawing off the damn cuffs.

QuaziJoe
11-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Comparing the two stories ( comic vs show ) I'm liking the changes, they've gone a bit farther to the extreme rather than dumb things down.

Every plot difference so far is actually well thought out interms of story arcs.

Though the difference in why the cops family left is a little discouraging cause it paints the wife as more a victim than active participant.

Xantam
11-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Loving it so far. AMC seems to produce golde when it comes to their original series: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. Seriously, why the hell did Dixon not saw the bar or the cuffs instead? The chain was intact when the gang got back, so clearly he wasn't in any immediate danger. I guess, he might not have realized how solid the chain was, but still. Also, Rick's wife is a bitch. That is all.

awinarock
11-15-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm not liking the wife either. She's bitching a lot even though she hasn't told her hasn't about the relationship between her and Shane. Shane's beatdown on Ed at the end was awesome though. Dixon didn't saw off the handcuff because he's a redneck. Also, he had no idea that the door was padlocked in order to stall the Zombies. All he knew was that he was gona die if he didn't escape and that he didn't have much time, so he probably though that trying to saw off the handcuffs would take too long and that he would be eaten before he could escape, so he chose to cutoff his hand instead.

Krogan
11-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Out of the two rednecks, I like the younger brother more than the older brother. He's more useful thus far. Plus the older one was a retard for not sawing off the damn cuffs.
I like him because he was in Boondock Saints personally. Also ditto on not liking the wife, personally I hated her the minute I saw both of them in the woods fucking and she just casually throws her wedding ring off to the side so he can flip her over to keep fucking and not feel bad.

Hashasheen
11-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I like him because he was in Boondock Saints personally. Also ditto on not liking the wife, personally I hated her the minute I saw both of them in the woods fucking and she just casually throws her wedding ring off to the side so he can flip her over to keep fucking and not feel bad.
I thought I recognised that guy from somewhere. :facepalm

RedNehi
11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
How did Merle get off the roof? I was under the impression that they locked the only access door with the padlock. So did he saw off his hand and then jump, or will he be back?
I have a friend with some of the comics, so I'll probably read through them after the six-episode season is over.

samkar
11-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Loving it so far. AMC seems to produce golde when it comes to their original series: Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.

Well, true but they should burn in hell for canceling Rubicon. The most intelligent and best made TV production I've seen lately. Just watching the Spangler and Ingram actors I had the impression that this was beyond the typical TV format by lightyears. Wouldn't surprise me if they got calls from their advertisers that the plot makes them feel "uncomfortable".

QuaziJoe
11-16-2010, 04:27 AM
How did Merle get off the roof? I was under the impression that they locked the only access door with the padlock. So did he saw off his hand and then jump, or will he be back?
I have a friend with some of the comics, so I'll probably read through them after the six-episode season is over.

I can tell you right now Merle is an addition to the series you won't find him. Or if you do, it won't match the current situation.

I haven't read the entire series yet but I'm confident enought to say from what I've read Merle is a writers liberty scenario.

Xiph0
11-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Today's episode was legit as hell.

Solomon
11-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Yeah, it was; and what a way to end it. Holy damn.

Perfection
11-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Yep, to those that asked before, Rick answered it: "guess the saw was too blunt to cut the cuffs."

And that was pretty badass of Merle.

Dethklok
11-22-2010, 03:04 AM
.......sigh.

Far be it from me to say that people deserve to die, but some of those idiot fuckers deserved to die at the end.

They were having some kumbyah bullshit campfire dinner and no one was watching their quadrants. The group was not that far from the city crawling with undead.

Fat redneck abusive husband became zombie chow along with other assorted throwaway characters. Whatever.

No one was wearing durable clothes that might have offered some protection from a rotting pusbag taking a bite. Even a leather jacket would have been +1 protection.

Sloppy work all around.

MattSilver
11-22-2010, 03:15 AM
"Admit it, we only came back to Atlanta for the hat." Glenn, you're just... :awesome.

The episode was awesome. Always love a good zombie massacre, and while it did sorta come out of nowhere, the good ones always do.

QuaziJoe
11-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Ending was pretty much cannon.

I'm just wondering when Merle will make a reappearance. Hes the real wild card here.

Let his stump carry a Chainsaw, and let there be :awesome

Groovy.

Demons In The Night
11-22-2010, 11:26 AM
This show is made of awesome and win.

And they cancelled Rubicon? Fucking fuck man. That was probably the best show of the damn season and they go and cancel it? What, is it too slow moving for fast food America that needs instant gratification? Or is it unnacceptable to have competent, badass, non-stereotypical gay characters?

What the fuck is their reasoning for that?

awinarock
11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
They canceled Rubicon because the slow pace in the first few episodes lost them a lot of viewers. It started with a 0.5 rating and went down to .2.

fuubar
11-29-2010, 02:16 AM
While this show has had a few moments that made me facepalm, it is definitely one of the best new shows on tv (not saying much but there it is). This episode was no different. The one issue that I'd take with it is that at the end the group seems exceedingly desperate which is not the impression that I'd gotten from the previous couple of episodes.

Still, I can't wait for next week or next season!

Solomon
11-29-2010, 02:24 AM
They weren't desperate before because the situation wasn't desperate, but sure as hell is now. Their campground was just compromised. They lost a significant amount of manpower. At the end of the episode they were outside, possibly surrounded by walkers, and night was rapidly approaching.

That sounds like a desperate situation.

Dethklok
11-29-2010, 02:29 AM
This episode started up slow, dealing with the aftermath of the massive zombie attack from last week, but got more in tune later on, especially with the Rick/Shane interaction and the CDC part.

This episode brought to the forefront the Rick/Shane tension that erupted into homicidal rage/despair in the comics. Kewl beans.

The CDC part had the lone survivor/last sane man/mad scientist character down pat. I am looking forward to how they expand on him from what I saw in the preview for next week, when he says that the zombie infection is worldwide.

QuaziJoe
11-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Most zombie stories are day to day survival. One day your on top of the world able to survive for the rest of your life on the safety and provisions you acquire, then Its taken away and your left in a bad situation hoping to survive the night.

This is very accurate for the Genre.

They had a good thing going being so close to Atlanta to scavenge, but far enough away for safety and security. Then they loose all that in one night and are foreced to flee. Plus the trauma of their losses would add to the impact.

ALSO:

We have officially deviated majorly away from cannon. As far as I'm aware, they never even talk about the CDC from where they are in the comics/novels.

I asked a friend and he said of the 5 novels I'm only up to book 2 so I could be wrong.

Hashasheen
12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
http://techland.com/2010/12/01/writing-staff-fired-from-amcs-walking-dead/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+timeblogs%2Fnerd_world+%28TIM E%3A+Techland%29

Dethklok
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Season finale.....

It was nice and pessimistic, which I like. Apparently the French were the last to hold out in researching a cure to infection, but dropped out due to a lack of fuel to keep going.

Apparently no one used solar panels or a nuclear reactor. Or maybe I'm being too harsh.

I did like how the Army soldiers were just massacring people, infected or not.

Hope the second season maintains this high standard.

Xiph0
12-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Sad the "CDC arc" didn't last longer than one episode, lol. Had a lot of potential.

Hashasheen
12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Apparently no one used solar panels or a nuclear reactor. Or maybe I'm being too harsh.
Not sure why solar panels didn't work, but nuclear reactors have automatic shutdowns I think, to prevent overload or anything that zombies could do to its computers.

It was an okay final episode, though some things were kinda stupid. Their not taking any guns from the dead soldiers around them, the apathy after the emergency decontamination was revealed instead of you know, trying to get out then with food from the CDC's stores.

Spanks
08-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Bump for some pretty big news:

So, AMC decided to fire Frank Darabont (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/12/kurt-sutter-sons-of-anarchy-matthew-weiner-amc_n_925201.html) a few weeks ago, and if the rumors are true both Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are on shaky ground . . . wtf AMC >_>

I swear, if they cancel Walking Dead or the show becomes shit I will have a nerd fit.

Cyclops
08-14-2011, 03:31 AM
To be honest, only about half of the episodes were good. So if Darabont being gone means no cold-opening sex scenes and no more of that zombies show up only in the last two minutes like that one episode... then I don't mind him being canned.

Spanks
08-14-2011, 06:34 PM
To be honest, only about half of the episodes were good. So if Darabont being gone means no cold-opening sex scenes and no more of that zombies show up only in the last two minutes like that one episode... than I don't mind him being canned.

So, you want a generic zombie movie with zero plot and more gore/tits? You ever read the comic? It's not a series that focuses solely on the zombies. There are actual plots, subplots and characterization that have to be explored.

And I think the only episode Darabont wrote/directed were the first and second episodes, but he was the guy everything went through before being made. (Plus, he directed The Shawshank Redemption so that makes him epic in my eyes)

awinarock
10-16-2011, 10:48 PM
So the season 2 premier just aired, anybody else see it?

The cliff hanger ending really pissed me off. I did wonder why the zombie herd didn't smell the group when they were under the cars and what the scientist dude told Rick.

Xiph0
10-16-2011, 11:19 PM
so, AMC decided to fire Frank Darabont a few weeks ago, and if the rumors are true both Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are on shaky ground . . . wtf AMC >_>

I watched the whole first season, and shaky is a good descriptor of the episode quality - so, fitting. Can't say shit about BB.

Krogan
10-17-2011, 12:00 PM

The cliff hanger ending really pissed me off. I did wonder why the zombie herd didn't smell the group when they were under the cars and what the scientist dude told Rick.
As I recall didn't he say "Welll basically the entire world is fucked, near as we could tell before everything died this shit was all over the entire planet with no hope of a cure." I mean I haven't seen the finale in a long time but I'm fairly sure that was the gist of it.

Also I was kinda expecting something like it, I wasn't necessarily expecting for the kid to get shot, maybe a Walker jumps him, maybe the deer loses its shit and gores/tramples him but I was expecting something bad to happen to him. They don't spend the entire episode foreshadowing that heavily about the kid being in danger and then have him go happily back to his mom and take a nap.

As for why the Horde didn't smell them given the relatively tiny amount of blood, the overwhelming amount of other corpses, gasoline fumes and god knows what else I can buy that their scents were covered. They showed fairly reasonably that when the black guy sliced his arm open like that he would have been fucked if Daryl hadn't come back to save his ass.

guljons
10-17-2011, 03:22 PM
A bit slow first episode, but that is what I liked to be honest. There were some suspenseful moments which were awesome for me.
By the way- they didn't show what happened to Sophie. The gutting scene almost made me sick :awesome

Othalan
10-27-2011, 08:10 PM

Think about it; can you smell somebody hiding under a car as you walk by it? In a crowd? How about a crowd of half-rotten walkers? That's the thing about zombies, they're re-animated humans. Their senses wouldn't be any sharper than your average Joe's, they'd just pay more attention to them, being single-mindedly hungry and all.

They made too big a deal about smell in the escape from Atlanta episode, imo. If you payed attention, it wasn't the smell that gave them away, at least at first. It was the fact that Glen couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut. Zombies don't talk, and, on some level, they recognize this as un-zombie-like behavior, as you could see in the ones that payed careful attention to Glen and Rick while they walked. They didn't attack right away because the combination of smell, body language (they were limping along like zombies), and sight (they looked like zombies, at least to other zombies) was sufficiently zombie-like to delay the "Braaaaiins!" response when they heard Glen's voice.

Also, logically speaking, that rain wasn't washing the gore off fast enough to cancel out the smell enough to make them stand out that way (remember, the real zombies were being rained on too, so their scents would have been equally dampened), but Rick and Glen thought it was, so they got agitated, their body language looking more human, and if I remember right, Glen still wouldn't shut the fuck up! The zombies that were already curious about them picked up on that change pretty quick and attacked, blowing their cover.

Dethklok
10-30-2011, 10:03 PM
First post!

Shane did Otis dirty. They were down to the last bullet in both guns and Shane shot Otis in the leg to slow the zombie horde down.

Beyond that, hoping for more action/horror elements as opposed to everyone pissing and moaning.

Xantam
10-31-2011, 12:59 AM
SPOILERS

Hope everyone saw the episode before reading this...

Kang
10-31-2011, 02:14 AM
fucking spoilers
its shit like this dethcock

ZombieHunter
10-31-2011, 02:37 AM
I just saw the third episode of season 2.

I fucking hate Shane now. That guy is a traitor and needs to die in a non noble death, painfully.

Tyler
10-31-2011, 02:55 AM
Absolutely in love with this series. This is the last time I visit this thread, because the UK seems to be a couple of series behind the US :/

Nevertheless, the end to episode 2 of season 2 was annoying!

MattSilver
10-31-2011, 02:55 AM
Well I'm fucking loving the season, pace and all. Zombie apocalypse fanboying must be shining through. Tonight's episode was just great character stuff, darkly epic and all that fun. And also, we're getting a season three! So yeah, I'm set.

Krogan
10-31-2011, 06:22 PM
I just saw the third episode of season 2.

I fucking hate Shane now. That guy is a traitor and needs to die in a non noble death, painfully.
The wife as well, it doesn't matter if she thought Rick was dead, you don't start boning his best friend barely weeks after that unless you've been thinking about it for a long damn time before Rick "died."

Kang
10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
The wife as well, it doesn't matter if she thought Rick was dead, you don't start boning his best friend barely weeks after that unless you've been thinking about it for a long damn time before Rick "died."
The wife is clearly pregnant as well

Having just acquired #1-#88 of the comic series and being on #67 I can say without a doubt that it is a must read for any fan of the genre.

Like seriously acquire this shit right this fucking instant. The plotline is totally fearless and at times heart wrenchingly sad as well as insanely epic.

DLP READ THE COMICS I CANNOT RECOMMEND HIGH ENOUGH.
The red truth for emphasis.

Scrib
11-03-2011, 12:24 AM

I don't see your point. Her husband was dead, the world was falling apart, she had to rely on his friend to guide her through it. Of all the people she was with he was probably the only one she knew and trusted from before. And to be fair to him, despite his single lapse he took care of them quite well it seems. I don't see why it's odd that she would develop feelings for him. And even if she was thinking about boning him during the marriage she didn't. I find that whole "wait a respectable period of time" shit bullshit on a good day because it's just a pointless affectation, and that's on a good day when no fucking flesh-eating zombies (that have already destroyed civilization as far as we can tell) are trying to munch on me and my family and my life expectancy hadn't taken a dive out of the window.

Also, how long was he in a coma before the attack?

Don't get me wrong, I dislike her, but my dislike has to do more with her whole "I'm gonna stand by my husband's decision even if it gets us all killed." position when he suggested the CDC.

But tbh the person I dislike the most for some reason is the old man, he was a total dick in the premiere and I still haven't gotten over it.

MEh, as stories go it's pretty good. I used to dislike it but I realised I was being unfair. I expected it to defy a lot of the cliches inherent in the zombie genre when it never set out to do that at all (and one good argue that those cliches are what makes the genre work). Taken on it's own it's a good story.

Castiel
11-14-2011, 01:50 AM
You weren't supposed to see this.

Scrib
11-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Awesome episode.

We've all wanted to shoot Darryl :awesome

That line was just hilarious because of all the cast, Darryl is perhaps the most likeable, especially considering his family. He's just practical enough to be sensible - and to be ignore- without being a budding sociopath like Shane.

But I liked Shane this episode, especially with the camaraderie between him and Rick and the talk of old high school girlfriends.

Also what possible justification could there be for that final scene? Can you eat zombie meat in this verse? Because otherwise, it's just creepy.

Unless of course, the old man locked a bunch of infected/soon-to-be-infected people in there and let them turn but was too chickenshit to finish the job, which would explain why he wants everyone gone.

Skykes
11-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Awesome episode.

We've all wanted to shoot Darryl :awesome

That line was just hilarious because of all the cast, Darryl is perhaps the most likeable, especially considering his family. He's just practical enough to be sensible - and to be ignore- without being a budding sociopath like Shane.

But I liked Shane this episode, especially with the camaraderie between him and Rick and the talk of old high school girlfriends.

Also what possible justification could there be for that final scene? Can you eat zombie meat in this verse? Because otherwise, it's just creepy.

Unless of course, the old man locked a bunch of infected/soon-to-be-infected people in there and let them turn but was too chickenshit to finish the job, which would explain why he wants everyone gone.

Hoping for a cure. Also, he's religious, so he still sees them as people.

Kai Shek
11-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Hoping for a cure. Also, he's religious, so he still sees them as people.

I thought this was obvious because of Rick's and the old man's earlier discussion about a cure.

Castiel
11-18-2011, 11:41 PM
You guys are probably right but it would have been way too awesome if,

Don't like someone? Why waste ammo?

THROW 'EM IN THE BARN.

samkar
11-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Awesome episode.

I somehow disagree because this episode had so many redundant elements which happened before. Somebody got shot at *again*. Somebody got hurt seriously *again* so he needs medical attention *again*. IMHO that shows a lack of creativity.

I really get the impression they 2nd season gets nowhere at the moment. Sure, the end rises a few questions which will hopefully explain the really strange behavior of the animal doctor. But we're at episode 5 now and I see no planning at all. In the 1st season they had at least goals they wanted to accomplish.

If you didn't know but they fired the creator of the show after season 1 because he didn't accept the budget cuts. You notice that with the simple scenes compared to the first season and the quality of some of the close zombies/corpses makeup/effects shots.

Scrib
11-19-2011, 07:30 AM
I find it odd that it never occurred to me that he could be waiting for a cure, I told myself the characters don't have the knowledge of zombies we do so they don't know there never is a cure.

But that still doesn't stop him from being an idiot, when somebody starts rotting, it's game over. I still dislike that scene with Rick because he could have just come out and told him what happened at the CDC, I guess he was keeping hope alive.

Samkar: Do you mean in planning in terms of the characters or the writers? As for people getting hurt yes, I didn't mind as much, except the Darryl-in-the-woods shit, completely pointless. But yeah, they needed to start increasing the tension, hence the cliffhanger.

Kai Shek
11-21-2011, 03:38 AM
I really want this season to end with the girl just walking into camp covered in the blood of the dozen or so walkers she's killed with a smile on her face.

A whole season of this is annoying the shit out of me. Oh, and what's with all the walkers appearing out of no where moving an inch a minute one second, and then running 15 mile an hour the next?

Scrib
11-21-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm really hoping they don't find her, just to increase tension. That's how stuff works in the real world, shit happens, and sometimes you never find out what happened and get closure.

Also the tension between Rick and Shane is interesting to watch. Hell the best part-or most infuriating, depends- of all these apocalyptic stories is the battle between pragmatism and morality and empathy.

So... let them fight over it.

As for the zombies... different level of decomp and muscle degeneration, running shouldn't be a problem since by now they should all be pretty fucking rotten.

EDIT: They just did it again.Why the fuck can't anyone open their fucking mouths and fucking tell the old man what happened in Atlanta, not allude, fucking tell him that they saw proof that walkers were no longer human. What do they have to lose?

Also can that Laurie bitch grow some nuts and abort the baby already. Or keep it. Anything to end this constant angst, Shane going evil is far more interesting.

Joe
11-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Well, latest episode certainly resolved one of the plot lines.

ZombieHunter
11-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Yeah, it really veers from the comics.

I am disappoint.

MattSilver
11-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Fucking epic. Those last five minutes were just beyond perfect. I'm such a hopeless fanboy I've got nothing to bitch about, because just damn.

redshell
11-28-2011, 01:56 AM
I really want this season to end with the girl just walking into camp covered in the blood of the dozen or so walkers she's killed with a smile on her face.

I am distinctly reminded of Sandal from Dragon Age.

As far as the show goes, I'm going to watch last night's episode shortly after waking up, thank you DVR. In any case, Shane's position is both pragmatism and not at the same time. Him killing Otis wasn't pragmatic, that was putting his own survival (and Carl's) before Otis'.

Darryl remains my favorite character on the show, even when he was hallucinating about his brother and ended up getting shot by Andrea because he went into Rambo mode.

Laurie needs to pull her fucking boots up and realize that even if she doesn't want to bring up a kid in that world, it's the only way the human race will continue.

Rick really needs to stop being so accepting of everyone else. Seriously, bro, grow a spine. I was incredibly surprised that he didn't walk away from Laurie when she told him she and Shane had had sex. Yes, it's understandable, but the fact that he wasn't at least angry about it is just stupid.

My last comment about what I've seen so far is that Hershel and his little 'family' are way too naive about walkers.

Oh, and Glen needs to stop thinking with his dick.

awinarock
11-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Him killing Otis wasn't pragmatic, that was putting his own survival (and Carl's) before Otis'.

Isn't that pragmatism? I would have done the same in that situation. It was either they both get eaten by zombies and Carl dies or one of them gets eaten and acts as a distraction so the other can live and get the equipment to save Carl. Otis was the whole reason they were there in the first place, so really he was the obvious choice.

Darryl remains my favorite character on the show, even when he was hallucinating about his brother and ended up getting shot by Andrea because he went into Rambo mode.

Agreed, he's keeps becoming more awesome and I hope that doesn't change.

Laurie needs to pull her fucking boots up and realize that even if she doesn't want to bring up a kid in that world, it's the only way the human race will continue.

At the time, she wasn't really sure whether they would stay if they found Sophia(dead, alive, or walker). If she went out into the zombie apocalypse while pregnant, she and her baby would become a drain on the group, putting everyone in danger. She wouldn't be doing the human race much good if she got everyone killed because of the baby.

Rick really needs to stop being so accepting of everyone else. Seriously, bro, grow a spine. I was incredibly surprised that he didn't walk away from Laurie when she told him she and Shane had had sex. Yes, it's understandable, but the fact that he wasn't at least angry about it is just stupid.

He was angry, but as he said it himself, he expected it to happen, so he wasn't blindsided. Just cause he didn't start screaming his head off at her doesn't mean he's not angry.

Oh, and Glen needs to stop thinking with his dick.

He's young and he hasn't had sex in a while, if ever, because of a zombie are killing everyone and hot girl suddenly asks him if he wants to have sex with her, of course he'd think with his dick.

Kai Shek
11-28-2011, 05:33 AM
I've got to say, I wasn't expecting that at all until only a few seconds before it happened.

Great resolution to that plot point.

Kang
11-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah, it really veers from the comics.

I am disappoint.
Yeah I fucking love the comics but there is no way that they could stick to the same plotlines. I dont think AMC would allow the brutality of Lori and her daughter getting shot
Christ I love The Walking Dead.

Castiel
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I've got to say, I wasn't expecting that at all until only a few seconds before it happened.

I was, the picture of Sophia exiting the barn was leaked 2 weeks ago. I did not post it here so everyone wouldn't kill me.

-Spoiler-

I should stop reading spoilers and start reading the comic. :(:(:(

:facepalm

Kang
11-28-2011, 02:14 PM
I should stop reading spoilers and start reading the comic. :(:(:(

:facepalm
I cannot rate the Comic highly enough. Without a doubt the best thing since fucking everything.

Castiel
11-28-2011, 02:24 PM
I cannot rate the Comic highly enough. Without a doubt the best thing since fucking everything.

There is that and about a thousand other things I have to see/read, but right now I have final exams (I am in 12th), then college interviews and entrance exams so I can't risk becoming addicted to another thing, I already waste enough time as it is. :(

BsuperB
11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
The only complaint I have about that last episode is, well, ammo consumption. Don't get me wrong, they're mostly amateurs who've barely shot/had to shoot (re-watching the attack on the camp from Season 1, usual saviours, nor have I ever fired a gun so, a tad hypocrticial) and the simple amount of bullets they just, well, wasted?

Ok, there's accuracy even at that range, and it's possible they replayed close-ups etc to make it seem more brutal, but, eh, that was the only thing that bugged me. That and Dale backing down to Psycho!Shane. New Year can't come soon enough though.

Was kind of expecting the ending, there had to be more to it than Hershal was letting on, albeit that raises the question of when exactly, he found her & caralled (spelling?) her into the barn with the rest.

MattSilver
11-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Was kind of expecting the ending, there had to be more to it than Hershal was letting on, albeit that raises the question of when exactly, he found her & caralled (spelling?) her into the barn with the rest.

Whether or not Hershel knew is debatable. He said it himself that Otis was the one who fished the walkers out of the swamp, so it's possible, in that narrow window between Sofia going missing and Otis shooting Carl (Like a day, or more, and given how it looks like Sophia was bitten on the neck, her getting reanimated that quickly works), Otis corralled her into the barn. Hershel wouldn't know exactly because he doesn't go out there - it's Patricia who feeds them the chickens, remember - and he would probably avoid the place because his wife's in there. Again, whether or not he knew is debatable, but I'll say he didn't, and the horrified reaction will be explored in the back half of season two come February.

BsuperB
11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Whether or not Hershel knew is debatable. He said it himself that Otis was the one who fished the walkers out of the swamp, so it's possible, in that narrow window between Sofia going missing and Otis shooting Carl (Like a day, or more, and given how it looks like Sophia was bitten on the neck, her getting reanimated that quickly works), Otis corralled her into the barn. Hershel wouldn't know exactly because he doesn't go out there - it's Patricia who feeds them the chickens, remember - and he would probably avoid the place because his wife's in there. Again, whether or not he knew is debatable, but I'll say he didn't, and the horrified reaction will be explored in the back half of season two come February.

Hmm, fair point, my mind kind of blanked out, I completely forgot about the whole Otis' side of things. Thinking about it, they never really mentioned anything as it was all a blind panic about saving Carl... Huh.

Well played, scriptwriters. Still, I've never read the comics but I think them deviating is going to be a mix of welcome ideas and then the side fans would prefer to see. Personally, I think it'll be a good thing, opening up new area's or something along those lines, that said, I can understand why die-hard fans of the comic would love to see certain scenes or plot-lines fully visualized on screen.

That's twice I've been reccommended this particular series comic wise, I suppose I better get looking for it and when I have the money spare look into purchasing it, certainly hooked on the show, more than enough reason to delve into the comics looking at the appraisal here.

Kai Shek
11-29-2011, 12:36 AM
I was, the picture of Sophia exiting the barn was leaked 2 weeks ago. I did not post it here so everyone wouldn't kill me.

I've very glad you didn't, even in spoilers. I have a habit of reading spoilers, and then hitting myself after wards.

Kang
11-29-2011, 03:37 AM
Well played, scriptwriters. Still, I've never read the comics but I think them deviating is going to be a mix of welcome ideas and then the side fans would prefer to see. Personally, I think it'll be a good thing, opening up new area's or something along those lines, that said, I can understand why die-hard fans of the comic would love to see certain scenes or plot-lines fully visualized on screen.

That's twice I've been reccommended this particular series comic wise, I suppose I better get looking for it and when I have the money spare look into purchasing it, certainly hooked on the show, more than enough reason to delve into the comics looking at the appraisal here.
I'll tell you one thing about the comics and why they cant stick to the storyline more- its hardcore brutal. Absolutely and completely brutal and the tv series deviates a fucking lot but im very pleaseed with the way its turned out.

I acquired all 91 comics recently and straight after I made sure to buy them off Amazon full price. It's that goddamn awesome.

Scrib
11-29-2011, 07:29 AM
] Say what you want about Shane, he ended that argument decisively. If only he had just left it at that and not gone after the barn, things might have ended better . Hershel looked half convinced, but granted, he may simply have gone back to deluding himself.

But I liked the bit with Sophia. And least there's something for Rick's group to get angry about when the shit hits the fan and everyone's throwing accusations and blame around.

And Laurie's having that kid? Fuuuuuck her dude. Taking the fucking pills you dumb bitch. If she doesn't do it after this episode she needs her brain examined.

Damn. This show is fucking awesome. The only problem I have with it is that Shane is dead now. He just has to die at some point, and that's sad because most of the good tension this season comes from him.

potter
11-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to watching The Walking Dead. Looks to be more than an average zombie series.

Krogan
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
So a teensy bit of a necro but I just recently picked up the Walking Dead graphic novels and fuck me these kick so much ass its absurd. I'm not even close to done with them all yet but I'm loving these.

If you hate Shane in the show like I do then
Too bad for you, you have to sit and watch the little bastard run around alive and wellish. If you pick up the comics though then you get to watch Carl shoot the jackass in the throat like a fucking boss in almost no time flat.

Some new characters
I can't shake the feeling something bad is going to happen to him but so far Tyrese is freaking awesome. Dive tackling the zombie off of Rick like that was just epic.

The comics are a lot more blunt about certain points
For instance I always thought the relationship between the old man Dale and the blonde girls had a "He wants to boink them silly" undercurrent to it but I knew they'd never go that way. In the comics though Dale is boinking Andrea's brains out constantly which I found hilarious.

I could keep going but my underlying point is still the same, these comics are just fucking :awesome and I recommend everyone pick them up as soon as they can.

Vesvius
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
@Krogan: You haven't gotten out of the prison arc yet.

Oh, this'll be good.

Krogan
12-13-2011, 07:41 PM
@Krogan: You haven't gotten out of the prison arc yet.

Oh, this'll be good.
I know I just bought them all today and I literally haven't done anything but read them since I got back from the store all day today. Its fucking awesome and I seriously wish they'd characterized Ricks kid Carl like he is in the comics, I mean the kid isn't bad at it but I would love to see him blowing away zombies like he does in the comics.

Kang
12-14-2011, 03:15 AM
I know I just bought them all today and I literally haven't done anything but read them since I got back from the store all day today. Its fucking awesome and I seriously wish they'd characterized Ricks kid Carl like he is in the comics, I mean the kid isn't bad at it but I would love to see him blowing away zombies like he does in the comics.
Yes Krogan! I hope you prepared your brain tube for some premium octane awesomeness lest that motherfucker explodes!

<3 Prison Arc

Castiel
12-14-2011, 03:43 AM
I hate you all. I can't get the comics yet since my parents will know about it and I am supposed to be studying for my exams. >_>

Krogan
12-14-2011, 05:28 AM
I hate you all. I can't get the comics yet since my parents will know about it and I am supposed to be studying for my exams. >_>
Go to the Library then, even the run down shitty one a block or so away from my apartment has the entire series.

Coyote
12-14-2011, 05:43 AM
On the flipside, I read the Walking Dead comics and found them pretty mediocre. Or, more accurately, I found up until the prison arc (and through to the end of it) to be good, and for the rest of the comic to drag on and be worthless.

The show, however, I vastly prefer to the comic. While the acting might not be that great, it's still better than the writing and god fucking awful art in the comic. (Seriously, it starts off shitty, and only gets worse. Why people pay for that garbage confuses the shit out of me. A comic without good art is just a shitty, really overpriced book.)

Castiel
12-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Go to the Library then, even the run down shitty one a block or so away from my apartment has the entire series.

I live in India.

I will give you a thousand bucks if you can find me TWD in any library all across country.

Krogan
12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
I live in India.

I will give you a thousand bucks if you can find me TWD in any library all across country.
Touche, that didn't occur to me. Get them online then if you can.

Castiel
12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Touche, that didn't occur to me. Get them online then if you can.

I did, read about 5 too but sitting in front of a PC and reading a comic kinda renders the point moot and is annoying as hell.

If I fit the page into the screen letters go too small. If I increase size I have to keep moving the scroll bar left and right to navigate and sometimes I miss important stuff.

I will try it again, maybe I can find in some other format which is readable on my screen.

Voice of the Nephilim
02-12-2012, 10:49 PM
So, Walking Dead came back tonight. Overall, a mixed bag.

Scene towards the end at a bar was fantastic, tense, and starts to address a theme that the show hadn't delved into until this point.

However, Laurie...retarded. Horrible, horrible writing. I don't know what they were thinking. Easily one of the lowest points of the season.

awinarock
02-13-2012, 05:01 AM
However, Laurie...retarded. Horrible, horrible writing. I don't know what they were thinking. Easily one of the lowest points of the season.

Agreed, a very cheap way to create unnecessary tension, as if there wasn't enough of that already. The Bar Scene was great, though for a second there I thought the skinny guy was gona be the Governor/

Joe
02-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Agreed about Lori. Unnecessary tension that made me hate the character for being so stupid.

However, yes. Bar scene. That's the Rick we all know and love from the comics.

"I hear Nebraska's nice..."

Awesome.

redshell
02-13-2012, 07:34 AM
comics

Are they worth reading? I got into the show because it looked cool, I wasn't even aware there was a comic-book series until last year, and I just haven't gotten around to looking them up.

Is it just me, or does Shane manage to become a bigger douche as the series goes on? Honestly, it just seems like he's out to be the Sasuke.

And, as far as Lori goes, I've always held onto the idea that she's a dumb bitch. I've never liked her while watching the show, and the way she's waffling between Rick and Shane is sort of dumb to me, as well as her throwing up those pills.

Now, Darryl, on the other hand, was pretty good in this episode, in my opinion. It seems like he's the only person willing to actually speak his mind, or stand up to Lori.

Also, what's-her-face, that blond chick who wants Shane's dick, needs to stop trying to impress him. To continue with the Naruto parallels, it's like Part 1 Sakura. Except worse.

Kai Shek
02-13-2012, 08:11 AM
I still kind of like Shane as a character, probably not as a person though. Sure, I raged with everyone else when he shot Otis down to escape, but in the end someone had to have been sacrificed, or all three would have died, and I'm not sure if I could fault the logic that Otis was the reason they were there in the first place.

Shane putting Rick in his cross hairs earlier on was really the only action that I was repulsed on, unless I'm forgetting something.

Personally, Dale has been getting on my nerves since the beginning of the season. How he's still alive, I'll never know.

In fact the only characters I actually like at the moment are probably Darryl, Shane, and the kid. Though Rick did redeem himself a little at the end of this episode. Glenn isn't so bad.

Boo
02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Darryl, Shane, and Carl are the only people in that show that understands the way the world is.
Shane needs to loosen up on the crazy a bit.

Lori gets upset because Carl said he would have shot little zombie girl. She said he was becoming cold. I think that the kid finally woke up. It sees what needs to be done.

Shane is right with Rick acting like its pre-zombie land. It’s all about survival. Dave also seems to lack the survival gene. All about acting like it’s the same happy law and order civilization. There are new rules and Shane knows some of them.
Also the bar bit, Rick got kind of hypocritical with not letting the strangers stay on the farm. Farmer dude said the same thing to him, but now it’s all reversed.
Lori is just a drama queen all around. Drama with Shane. Drama with being pregnant. Drama with Carl. Drama with farm. Now she runs her car off the road. Do any of these people realize they are working with limited resources?
Also the baby has to be Shane’s. Rick was back for only what a week before she found out she was pregnant? Does no one find that timing off?

Scrib
02-14-2012, 10:22 PM
I think Rick realized something was up. He was a cop after all. Also the type of people who would shoot you for not letting them stay on your farm aren't the kind of people you want. Also he knew it wasn't his decision, that simple shit was hard enough there already.

As for Shane, I wouldn't have a problem with him if his utilitarian outlook didn't seem like it was there to justify his murder and his jealousy of Rick. He may be right but his motives seem weird to me. And with all his fucking talk, it didn't escape me that when push came to fucking shove he couldn't do his job at the end of the half-season break. And that Rick for all his "weakness" was the one who could actually step up and do it. All his talk seems to be a rationalization for his inner fucked-up-ness.

I fucking despise Dale. But he is doing what he should have done a long time ago.

Also if what happened to Lori was meant to create some tension then it failed horribly. I used to defend her even though she really served no purpose beyond pointless drama (that and sending people out into town for her shit instead of going herself - Darryl hit that nail on the head) but I've wanted her to die ever since she threw up those pills.And when she said that Darryl was being selfish... I near put my hand through my screen. Hopefully she gets eaten sometime this season but I doubt they want to have something so big happen so soon after the last surprise.

And the child is Shane's it's been stated. And she wants to keep it away from it's father, which should prove interesting.

Othalan
02-14-2012, 11:17 PM
As for Shane, I wouldn't have a problem with him if his utilitarian outlook didn't seem like it was there to justify his murder and his jealousy of Rick. He may be right but his motives seem weird to me. And with all his fucking talk, it didn't escape me that when push came to fucking shove he couldn't do his job at the end of the half-season break. And that Rick for all his "weakness" was the one who could actually step up and do it. All his talk seems to be a rationalization for his inner fucked-up-ness.

This. So fucking much this. While he's usually right to some extent with what he has to say, it's pretty telling how he's fallen short in almost every way: As a leader (failing to set up a watch system before the zombies attacked their camp in season 1), as a fighter (so far we've seen Daryl and Rick kick ten times as much zombie ass each), and as a human being in general (everything else he's done).

Anyway, is anyone else wondering if Morgan and his son are with the "friends" that the skinny guy mentioned? Or have they pretty much been forgotten?

Spanks
02-14-2012, 11:31 PM
I wondering if they are going to use this crash as a way to kill off the baby. I can't imagine AMC being cool with a baby getting blown away by a shotgun like in the comics. If they are going to write the baby out of the story this would be the time to do it.

Still, it's a pretty shitty idea. I bet Frank Darabont wouldn't have done it >_<

They really need to get the hell off the farm soon. I'm all for character development, but it's about time to do it at another location.

All in all the episode was decent enough. The ending made up for the misfire with the Lori stuff.

Kang
02-15-2012, 12:27 AM
The ending must have really stamped down the fact that Rick is not to be fucked with in Hershel's view.

He's protecting his wife and kids - don't fuck with him.

IdSayWhyNot
02-15-2012, 12:35 AM
This show started out great. I hadn't read the comic, but the premise of a zombie apocalypse in which the focus is the characters and not the action seemed awesome. And then they fucked it up.

I was expecting the drama to be more justified and related to character personalities crashing, not some woman crashing the car. Guess it's putting me off because the promised drama became the same old drama of all other series; she loves him and him, but he is unavailable so she goes with the other he, and then the first he returns and one is pregnant, then the other dies and the character has a drastic change of personality, blah blah blah. Done and dusted. I expected something new.

Guess we'll always have season 1.

pdo91
02-15-2012, 01:09 AM
As everyone has said, the car flip was retarded but everything else was sweet.

Guess it's putting me off because the promised drama became the same old drama of all other series; she loves him and him, but he is unavailable so she goes with the other he, and then the first he returns and one is pregnant, then the other dies and the character has a drastic change of personality, blah blah blah. Done and dusted. I expected something new.

I think you're missing some of the between-the-lines byplay going on there. Maybe it's just because the comics go deeper into it so it's already in my head, but I think the show was also fairly clear on how strained everything is. It's less of a love triangle situation and more of a "Oh God everything's fucked" situation. Which is sort of the whole point of the Walking Dead - the people who are left trying to live their lives, which involves a lot more than killing zombies.

The car flip was definitely a cop out, though.

Speaking of the comics: the good thing about this show is that it's different enough from the comics to be fresh while still keeping the ridiculous awesomeness. For those of you who haven't read them, I'd highly recommend it.

samkar
02-15-2012, 01:37 AM
The ending must have really stamped down the fact that Rick is not to be fucked with in Hershel's view.

He's protecting his wife and kids - don't fuck with him.

That's one way to interpret it but I thought when I watched it that Herschel for the first time realized how bad it is out there and can get for his family and he recognized Rick for a leader personality which sort of mixes with your view. At least I got the impression that there was some understanding at the end.

P.S. One of the strongest scenes in the whole series.

awinarock
02-16-2012, 01:18 AM
P.S. One of the strongest scenes in the whole series.

Nah, the strongest scene in the whole series has to be the ending of Season 1. The fact that everyone in the group just realized how fucked they are was just awesome.

Scrib
02-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Nah, the strongest scene in the whole series has to be the ending of Season 1. The fact that everyone in the group just realized how fucked they are was just awesome.

Pretty much this, that scene with Jenner and the countdown;

"It sets the air on fire, no pain." Damn, that was some good television.

samkar
02-17-2012, 12:23 AM

Scenes is plural.

awinarock
02-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Scenes is plural.

Ah, my bad. I didn't notice the s.

Dethklok
02-18-2012, 02:44 AM
Just watching a late night rerun of last weeks TWD. The encounter with Rick and the 2 raiders/bandits made the episode for me. As mentioned before, Lori is really playing up being a dumb bitch. It came to me when I saw her read the road map while driving at a medium speed.

It's been said before, but very few of the characters mind their surroundings properly, given they're all living in a zombie apocalypse. Lori not focused on the road and watching for stray lamebrains was asking for something to happen. How about just driving down the road until you hit the town, eyes in front, bitch?

Cyclops
02-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Its a sad state of affairs when the crazy guy makes the most sense. Maybe Shane is losing it because he's surrounded by morons.

Speaking of morons, Dale takes the cake. What dumb motherfucker hides all the guns (for safety reasons) during a motherfucking zombie apocalypse?!

redshell
02-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Speaking of morons, Dale takes the cake. What dumb motherfucker hides all the guns (for safety reasons) during a motherfucking zombie apocalypse?!

Actually, Dale was being incredibly intelligent. Most of their group doesn't know how to handle a gun, or is just a kid. Maybe I'm the only guy who's actually taken gun safety courses (mandatory for hunting permits, kthx), but what the hell, guys. People that don't know how to handle a gun are actually more dangerous than a zombie would be, in my opinion. Someone like Rick, Darryl, Dale, or Shane could hold off a small group of zombies (I'm talking 5-10) by themselves. If, say, one of the other members of the group from season 1, like that blonde bitch or the little girl's mother, they'd be more liable to get bitten or worse, shoot someone else from the group.

Yeah, yeah, you're just going to say something like "lol point the end the bullets come out of at zombies and pull the trigger herpderp." Do you even know what a safety is? Odds are, they didn't. So while they're trying to pull the trigger and the safety isn't on, they're fucking everyone else over because the zombie's just getting closer.

Also, even if by some miracle they did get the safety off and kill the zombie, I guarantee that they'd probably forget to put it back on, and then accidentally shoot someone. Just FYI, that's how more gun-related injuries happen than anything else. Stupid idiots that don't know how to handle a gun end up shooting someone because they didn't know what they were doing.

Furthermore, in a zombie apocalypse setting, ammo is not an infinite resource, as much as you'd like to believe, and you're not going to find it just laying around in the street. You'd have to break into a gun store, which would create a shit-load of noise both from the glass breaking and from the alarm going off, which would attract zombies. So, there's that. There's also the fact that most, if not all, of the group wouldn't have brought more than one or two magazines with them if they had any at all. People don't just walk around with boxes of ammunition.

In closing, maybe you should think about more than the zombies as threats. I'd be of the mind that someone like Carol handling a gun without proper training is a lot more dangerous than a walker.

Oh, and another thing? Gun training doesn't take a real long time. My class was all of one afternoon, although I'd been shooting for years before that.

Xantam
02-19-2012, 01:43 PM
snip
Don't try to pretend shooting a gun is rocket science. It's really not.

redshell
02-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Don't try to pretend shooting a gun is rocket science. It's really not.

I didn't say it was, genius. What I'm saying is they're more dangerous than you guys seem to believe.

awinarock
02-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Dale's reasoning was bullshit. Yeah, guns can be dangerous, but everyone in the group except Carol and Carl know how to use a gun and aren't mentally retarded when handling them. Hiding them away for 'safety reasons' only does more harm then good when it wastes time if the guns are really needed. Carol never fights and Carl is rapidly maturing and is being taught how to properly use a gun anyway. Even if they forget to put the safety back on, the capable members of the group aren't so stupid as to point guns at each other and actually pull the trigger.

Why would you break the glass to enter a gun store? There are much quieter ways to go about it. As for the alarm, no electricity remember? Also, they had gun training, remember?

redshell
02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Dale's reasoning was bullshit. Yeah, guns can be dangerous, but everyone in the group except Carol and Carl know how to use a gun and aren't mentally retarded when handling them. Hiding them away for 'safety reasons' only does more harm then good when it wastes time if the guns are really needed. Carol never fights and Carl is rapidly maturing and is being taught how to properly use a gun anyway. Even if they forget to put the safety back on, the capable members of the group aren't so stupid as to point guns at each other and actually pull the trigger.

Why would you break the glass to enter a gun store? There are much quieter ways to go about it. As for the alarm, no electricity remember? Also, they had gun training, remember?

Every single part of my post was referencing a specific time at a point either in the series or during a zombie apocalypse (We really need a better phrase for that...)

In any case, as far as the gun store goes, what I meant with the alarm is anyone remotely intelligent during a zombie apocalypse is going to want get as much guns and ammo as they can carry. With me so far? During such an occasion, most people will get the hell out of Dodge and let someone else deal with it. In all likelihood, the gun store's going to be either locked up or unlocked. If it's the former, you're going to have to break in and set off the alarm, which is going to attract walkers and be counter-productive. If it's the latter, it's already been looted.

Speaking of already-been-looted, if it's that far along that generators run out of gas, and thus alarms will no longer work, then you bet your ass someone's going to loot as much as they can.

As far as gun training goes, notice that part about Season 1 in my post? That's what I was talking about, when I said Dale's decision to hide the guns was intelligent. During Season 1, the group hadn't fully tacked onto the fact that they were well and truly fucked, and it didn't happen until that CDC building blew up.

Season 2 is where everybody starts realizing that they're going to have to pull their own weight, and they realize that civilization is fucked. After everybody that wanted to learn has learned, then yeah, Dale hiding the guns after that was dumb. But, again, I was referring to Season 1, not Season 2.

On another note, why in the hell did T-Dog actually think that Darryl was going to treat him differently because he's black? As far as I've seen, Darryl treats everyone the same until they do something he doesn't agree with, which is why he called Carol and Lori out on being stupid (in the former's case) and a total bitch (in the latter's).

Scrib
02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
So Dale /was/ dumb, but he would have been less dumb if he had acted a few weeks earlier? By that logic about half of the dumb people in the world no longer qualify for the name...

redshell
02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
So Dale /was/ dumb, but he would have been less dumb if he had acted a few weeks earlier? By that logic about half of the dumb people in the world no longer qualify for the name...

Yes, that's essentially what I'm saying. In a perfect world, Dale would have given out guns as soon as everyone that wanted the training had received it. However, Dale had (probably) come to see him keeping the guns as something that made him more important to the group than simply a mechanic, and he probably wanted to keep it that way as long as possible.

Not to mention that he's old, and most old people that I've met seem to think that those younger than them just don't have the experience they do, so said young people can't be trusted to make informed decisions about something important.

Kai Shek
02-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Or maybe Dale's just an idiot.

His self righteous attitude pisses me off more than any attempted gun hiding he did.

awinarock
02-21-2012, 03:48 AM
Anyone else think that the writers just passed of Rick's leg amputation to Randall? So far, not a single main character has gotten killed or maimed. We've only seen the death of minor sides, which while still emotional, shows that the writers are pussying out on what makes The Walking Dead comics awesome.

Dethklok
02-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Kind of early for a final review of this latest episode, but here are some early impressions...

The bitch claws are coming out now, and not out of nowhere. Andrea and Lori have an argument that first stems out of Lori stopping one of the girls on the farm from killing herself. Andrea made a point when she said Lori took the girl's choice away from her. In this setting, finding a reason to go on beyond living for others is essential. YOU have to see a future.

Oruma
02-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Anyone else think that the writers just passed of Rick's leg amputation to Randall? So far, not a single main character has gotten killed or maimed. We've only seen the death of minor sides, which while still emotional, shows that the writers are pussying out on what makes The Walking Dead comics awesome.
Rick got his hand cut off. Dale was the one with the leg amputation.

Scrib
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Oh my God fuck Lori. Putting aside the fact that she /still/ hasn't fucking taken those pills, she's becoming more of a bitch with every episode. I love how she just out and out says that a woman's place is in a kitchen while the men do the work. She's disgusting. Andrea is totally right, she plays house all day and pretends like everything is fine instead of going out there and learning the skills that could truly help. But she's fine with staying in the house and letting Rick and Shane risk their necks when it suits her. And lets not even talk about how much worse the situation will be when she becomes visibly pregnant, and the lives she'll risk just by not being able to run on her own two feet.

As for the girl who wanted to kill herself, I'm indifferent. Blatant emotional blackmail aside if she wanted to go then she should have gone. But I was pretty sure she wouldn't have done it, she was just in shock. I honestly have no idea why they wasted so much time on it. Yes, human beings have a self-defense mechanism that can override all logic. So? What's the story value of going down that road.

I still dislike Rick too, he's that kind of thick bastard who knows what he has to do but refuses to do it because he thinks it's wrong, or too 'easy' or whatever. And who the fuck appointed him leader? Why should Shane follow his lead when his lead has been so disastrous in the past? Not that Shane was that much better mind you -the campfire.But if he had just shut his fucking mouth at the bar things would have gone fine. It's like the writers just take for granted that we're gonna like these people because they're the main characters and don't really give us a good reason.

Scrib
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Accidental doublepost.

Xantam
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
How can you prefer Andrea and Shane to Rick? They are literally the two least human characters in a show chock-full of zombies.

awinarock
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
How can you prefer Andrea and Shane to Rick? They are literally the two least human characters in a show chock-full of zombies.

Because they know what needs to be done. That to survive, they've got to do things they don't like, things that most people would consider evil. They essentially represent what the comics made even Rick and Carl into. People who will do anything to keep those close to them alive, even if means becoming less human than the zombies.

Scrib
02-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Because they know what needs to be done. That to survive, they've got to do things they don't like, things that most people would consider evil. They essentially represent what the comics made even Rick and Carl into. People who will do anything to keep those close to them alive, even if means becoming less human than the zombies.

This. I'm tired of watching/reading stories where drama is created because characters are idiots. I don't mind "human" characters (although I dislike your label, what makes Shane and Andrea less human than Rick?), Rick taking a day to decide what to do with that kid was completely fine with me, I recognize that it was a hard thing for him- although I think it's more cowardice, he knows Hershel isn't going to let him murder anyone on his land.

What I can't stand is when characters constantly act in an illogical manner and then the only voices of reason are thrown under the bus because the writer wants more 'human' drama and everyone just rolls on doing stupid shit because they feel like it. I don't feel like having an abortion so I'll bring a baby into this fucked up world, I don't feel like shutting up so I'll bring down another group of survivors on me and so on and so forth.

Zombie stories have this worse than most, simply because traditional zombies can only be used as a threat so often. TBH if Shane leaves the show I don't really think there's much reason to watch, not without the vital conflict he provides.

awinarock
02-28-2012, 12:37 AM
I don't mind "human" characters (although I don't like your label, what makes Shane and Andrea less human than Rick?)

I was referring to the view that Xantam had about Shane and Andrea not being what would be considered human or humane in a non-apocalyptic society.

TBH if Shane leaves the show I don't really think there's much reason to watch, not without the vital conflict he provides.

The Governor, nuff said.

redshell
02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
~snip~

While I thought it'd be a cold day in Hell where I'd be defending Lori, here we are. What she was saying to Andrea had a point, albeit a very weak one. It's a proven fact that men are physically stronger than women, which means that they'd probably be better at foraging for supplies, or something, although how that figures into killing walkers I have no idea.

More people defending the camp means more people can leave today (in a manner of speaking) which was Andrea's point, not to mention the fact that Dale is nowhere to be seen and all of the rest of the girls seem to not want to pick up a gun.

As far as Beth committing suicide goes, I'm conflicted. While it is Beth's choice whether or not she wants to live, she's also removing a pair of hands from a group that has become little more than a hunter-gatherer society.

Finally, about Andrea and Shane being less-than-human. While I fully recognize that they're "ahead of the curve", so to speak, I also see that Rick is getting there. Essentially, what I think the show is trying to do, is show Shane as a foil for Rick. Shane already views most of the group as expendable, with possibly Rick being the only other guy who isn't, although throwing a wrench like that sort of puts a dent in that idea. Shane's also a bit of an influence on Rick, in that his point of view is starting to be recognized, if Rick really is thinking about blowing Randall away.

Andrea, on the other hand, is a whole different story. While she is right that they need to defend the camp, she was also wrong in her assessment of the situation with Beth. Maggie was right to condemn her choice to leave Beth alone like that, because she was essentially enabling someone whose mental state was less than ideal. I understand that it's the most expedient route to finding out whether or not Beth really wants to live, but ultimately it's still a bad choice. A bad choice among bad choices, granted, but still a bad choice.

Scrib
02-28-2012, 06:16 PM
While I thought it'd be a cold day in Hell where I'd be defending Lori, here we are. What she was saying to Andrea had a point, albeit a very weak one. It's a proven fact that men are physically stronger than women, which means that they'd probably be better at foraging for supplies, or something, although how that figures into killing walkers I have no idea.

This would matter if they lived in a pre-industrial society where work had to be manually. Walkers are killed with guns and bows and arrows, not brute strength so this has little bearing on anything.

As for foraging, send two people out and you can handle most things. The fact that there may be an extra hand is all for the better.

And lastly, lets point out that Lori isn't talking about anything essential here. She's doing that bitchy thing that people do when they see someone going outside the system and doing something different. She could simply tell Andrea to wash her own damn clothes and leave it at that. Hell, a better system would be to institute some sort of rolling service and make /everyone/, both men and women do menial jobs. They all have a lot of downtime anyway.

But this isn't about work. This is about Andrea not joining their little Housewives of Bumfuck, Wherever and singing kumbaya.

As far as Beth committing suicide goes, I'm conflicted. While it is Beth's choice whether or not she wants to live, she's also removing a pair of hands from a group that has become little more than a hunter-gatherer society.

Andrea, on the other hand, is a whole different story. While she is right that they need to defend the camp, she was also wrong in her assessment of the situation with Beth. Maggie was right to condemn her choice to leave Beth alone like that, because she was essentially enabling someone whose mental state was less than ideal. I understand that it's the most expedient route to finding out whether or not Beth really wants to live, but ultimately it's still a bad choice. A bad choice among bad choices, granted, but still a bad choice.

Yes, they have fallen back into a hunter-gatherer society. But that doesn't mean that someone's life doesn't belong to them anymore. There are many ways to discourage someone from committing suicide (where do you think the "It's the cowards way out" thing came from?) but if they want to go they fucking want to go, it's their life, it's really the only thing they have control over.

As for mental state, I can buy this for a rich socialite popping pills because her husband was cheating, but not for the situation Beth was in.In fact feeling suicidal may simply be a sign that you're sane and not in denial.

And not to mention that most people can't kill themselves, no matter how bad it gets, if the girl was in shock -which she was- she couldn't have gone through with it. But if she was serious enough to actually do it then it might have been a mercy to let her go. Luckily that wasn't the case but they should have let her work through it on her own.

If she had really wanted to die, they should have let her be. Andrea did the right thing imo, it's the height of selfishness to try to hold on to someone who doesn't want to be in such a shithole.

Finally, about Andrea and Shane being less-than-human. While I fully recognize that they're "ahead of the curve", so to speak, I also see that Rick is getting there. Essentially, what I think the show is trying to do, is show Shane as a foil for Rick. Shane already views most of the group as expendable, with possibly Rick being the only other guy who isn't, although throwing a wrench like that sort of puts a dent in that idea. Shane's also a bit of an influence on Rick, in that his point of view is starting to be recognized, if Rick really is thinking about blowing Randall away.

I've already mentioned that I don't think that Rick will kill that boy. Hershel and his wife will talk him out of it based on some vague notion that they 'should be better than that'.

Kai Shek
02-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Am I the only one that believes that its there right as family and friends to try to convince her to not kill herself?

I believe if she wanted to kill herself, she'd have found a way to do so after awhile, but I do not feel any of them were in the wrong about trying to convince her not to. Leaving her alone in a room when she was clearly in shock and depressed was not a good call in my opinion.

It's bullshit that you can only kill yourself if deep down it's what you really want. She was not thinking all that clearly, short term depression can let you kill yourself just as well.

nath1607
03-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Zombie stories have this worse than most, simply because traditional zombies can only be used as a threat so often. TBH if Shane leaves the show I don't really think there's much reason to watch, not without the vital conflict he provides.

Possible spoiler for you, if you wish to read it.

On AMC's store where they are advertising season two blueray, in the description it says that it includes Shanes final episode. Click (http://shop.amctv.com/products/121601-the-walking-dead-limited-edition-season-2-blu-ray-4-disc-set)

Scrib
03-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Kai: We apparently have very different meanings of the word convince. I take it to mean; "providing logical evidence why someone's reasoning is flawed", while the characters take it to mean "browbeat someone until they stop an activity I don't agree with". Unless they had thought of something she hadn't really then they weren't really saying anything were they? And whether or not she felt like that only at the moment is irrelevant, it's her decision to make, regardless of circumstance.

nath: Goddamnit. Well, I hope Rick continues to redeem himself as he's done in the last few episodes but damn, I just can't see where the internal conflict is going to come from without Shane. Perhaps they'll introduce such a large external threat that they have to stop fucking bickering?

Joe
03-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Perhaps they'll introduce such a large external threat that they have to stop fucking bickering?

That's exactly what they're going to do. The part of the external conflict was cast just a few days ago.

Source (http://screenrant.com/david-morrissey-governor-the-walking-dead-yman-156371/), if you're interested. For those who have read the comics, it isn't spoilery. For those who haven't, click at your own peril.

Kai Shek
03-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Kai: We apparently have very different meanings of the word convince. I take it to mean; "providing logical evidence why someone's reasoning is flawed", while the characters take it to mean "browbeat someone until they stop an activity I don't agree with". Unless they had thought of something she hadn't really then they weren't really saying anything were they? And whether or not she felt like that only at the moment is irrelevant, it's her decision to make, regardless of circumstance.

I guess you could say the same for someone who's suffering from clinical depression and is fully convinced that their life sucks. Doesn't make it right. You can't reason with that, it's not logical.

I actually kind of find it pathetic. This girl has been sheltered this whole time in a relatively safe farm. Her mother dies in one incident, and she is on a suicide binge. This isn't someone who's been clawing and fighting for her life for months, this is someone who's been quite sheltered, and only just got over the shock of her mothers death. Short term depression is quite a big possibility. Andrea's situation was completely different in my opinion, but even that was spurred on by her sisters death

If Dale hadn't blackmailed Andrea to leave the building, then she'd be dead, and from what you've been saying that seemed like the right call. However, where is she now? She's still fighting tooth and nail to survive, she hasn't laid down her life, so that must mean she didn't really want to die? She would have left the explosion on her own free will eventually?

Nemrut
03-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Recently started watching this and am overall loving this show. My biggest gripe with it, though, is the lack of awesome or even likable female characters. About all of them are either bitchy or irrelevant.

Scrib
03-04-2012, 06:09 PM
KAi: I think we've gotten turned around.

Unless you hear voices or have some weird genetic chemical imbalance (and we can argue about that), in my mind you get to make your own decisions, regardless of how permanent those feelings might be. Fuck you, go as far as I'm concerned.

If she wants to kill herself then, and has her reasons then she should have at it. It's not like she was living in a fantasy land or something, she was far more realistic about the situation than the people trying to keep her from killing herself imo. Not that I have a problem with it, self-delusion about the future is just a part of being human, but that doesn't make her pessimistic or illogical. She right. The future she outlined is a huge possibility, if she wants to do it on her own time then they should let her.

I also dislike the false logic that people use. You do not have to feel completely sure about something to do it.If that was so then no one would do anything. Rick made the same argument and it's bullshit. There's a reason we don't listen to the reptilian part of our brain at times. Because it's stupid. So just because Andrea was willing to rush out of the building doesn't mean that her original decision was any less valid. She changed her mind thanks to a dick move by Dale, but it doesn't mean that he was right in any way.

We don't walk around stopping people because "some part of you doesn't want to do this" in any other situation, nor should we here.

tl;dr: Protecting people from suicide is a social convention we created for our own benefit. It may even be good for the person at times, since generally people want to live, or will, once the necessary work is done. But that is in our world. If there is any situation where a person can maybe justify it, it's this girls.

Kai Shek
03-04-2012, 08:27 PM
I guess I just never saw her as someone in her right mind. Her being in a comatose type shock, only to come out of it obviously depressed with immediate suicidal tendencies doesn't scream sane to me. If her wanting to kill herself lasted longer than a couple days, then yeah, I'd say restraining her and making sure she doesn't is wrong, but I still feel like the best option would be to make sure she didn't do anything rash when she was still recovering from being in severe shock.

I know if I obviously wasn't in my right mind, I'd want my friends to make sure I didn't do anything rash and stupid until I had time to actually think about it, or recover from being an emotional wreck.

Was her wanting to commit suicide because of the shitty world they live in, or the depression from her mother dying? Who knows, but I still see nothing wrong with her family trying to help her cope with it before she resorts to that.

I still think Dale was a dick though, I just thought you were arguing that you can only kill yourself if you really wanted to, so only brought that up to say that the point wasn't logical at all.

Dethklok
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
37 minutes in, and I get the feeling that stupidity might be a vital part of the Grimes family genetic makeup.

Little Carl Grimes is the star of the show in this, stealing Darrell's gun and going off into the woods. He finds a zombie that luckily has both feet stuck hard in the mud. It's agitated that it can't get to Carl, but is not a threat for the moment.

The boy then goes even closer to the zombie, 6-7 feet away, and looks up close and personal at the fucker. The zombie then summons the energy to pull out of the muck and go after Carl. Carl in his haste leaves the gun in the woods. One less gun. Good job, son!

Then there is the argument about killing Randall, the prisoner. Dale wants to 'do what's right', whatever that is. Shane wants to kill him. Dale is tall on his soapbox about the civilization they all knew and humanity and survival of the fittest.

Sigh.

Of course he fails to get that things ARE survival of the fittest. Not enough bullets? Dead. Too loud? Dead. The group does not cooperate? Dead. The fittest are alive. That's the whole point. People no longer have the next paycheck or the latest movie to look forward to. They have another day in the world, another day breathing, another day whole.

So fuck you, Dale.

PS-What heppened to Dale was totally Carl's fault.

awinarock
03-05-2012, 12:16 AM
~snip~

Dude, put some damn spoilers. The episode just aired and there are a lot of people who haven't watched it yet.

redshell
03-05-2012, 04:42 AM
The problem that I have with all the Dale hate, is that all he's really trying to do is keep some semblance of humanity in the group. He's basically a walking conscience for the group, and because there isn't really a better parallel, he's the guy who'd be giving the player free stuff for good karma if this was a video game.

All Dale really wants to do is ensure that the group doesn't lose what made them human. What separates them from the walkers. The whole entire reason for Dale's "soapbox moment" as Dethklok put it, is that he wants the group to show a little human decency every now and then. Say what you will about Herschel, he was right, in a fashion. They aren't people now, but at one time they were.

Another parallel to make, which I'm almost positive one of you will use against me, would be to compare a walker to a rabid dog. For the sake of effect, we'll use Herschel's wife in this example, comparing to a dog that you've had and loved for years. The cold, logical part of your brain will tell you that it's over, you need to put them down. But the part of your brain that Dale is trying to keep alive? That's going to tell you that, at one point in time, this was your dog. Man's best friend and all that.

Essentially, Dale and Shane are two extremes, and I can't for the life of me fathom why some people on this site honestly dislike Dale without disliking Shane as well. People are probably going to defend their Dale hatred by saying that he's "high and mighty" and that he "blackmailed Andrea".

Honestly, he's really not high and mighty. He's an old guy with a lot of life-experience who didn't get harder because of it. He's got a soft-heart, and he doesn't want to see the group turn into a bunch of things that are closer to the walkers than to the human beings he knows they all are.

As far as him "blackmailing" Andrea goes, Scrib was right, at least on the suicide portion of his post. If they really want to go, you should let them. But that's the cold, logical part of your brain. How long had the group been together up to that point? It doesn't really matter, being one of the last few people alive on Earth (that you're aware of) is going to generate some strong bonds with the people in the group. Dale genuinely did care for Andrea and her sister, he probably saw them as the daughters he never had.

You guys suck for hating Dale, and it really makes me wonder how many of you could actually honestly do the cold, efficient thing in the face of the kind of choices you'd have to make. Before you say "I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it", you can't honestly say that. In all probability, you've never been faced with a choice of that magnitude. To reference Season One, let's go with the guy that got bit. Now, I'm sure Scrib will say that he should have been put down on the spot, because he seems like he loves Shane and the moral choices Shane would make. That's all fine and dandy, but I honestly think that Scrib wouldn't be able to make that choice when it was presented to him in the same fashion.

As I said, being in a group like that, one of the few remaining survivors, you're going to create bonds with these people, and the choice to have to put them down is not one to be taken lightly.

Rick is an excellent median between Dale and Shane's viewpoints, because he'll do what needs to be done, but not until that point. Dale might not be capable of doing whatever needs to be done, and Shane wouldn't hesitate as soon as the choice was presented to him. And that's the issue that Dale has with Shane. He's too quick to jump the gun. He didn't have to do some of the things he did.

As an example, Shane wanted to kill Randall right away. That's fine and dandy, he could give them up to his group, etc. Except he couldn't. He was blind-folded the whole way to the farm, and all the way to the bus depot he was in the trunk and had earbuds playing generic metal so he couldn't hear any outside noise. Leaving him out there like that with a canteen and some food was the decent thing to do. That is, until he revealed that he went to school with Maggie (Which may or may not be a lie, we don't really know) At that point, it became prudent to kill him, because it became likely that he could have knowledge of where the farm was, but it wasn't entirely possible.

Which is Dale's entire point. Just because he went to school with Maggie didn't mean he knew where she lived. It was more than likely, but there was still a chance. Also, his group left him for dead. If he came hobbling back in, especially with the fact of how they left him to die, they'd probably shoot him on sight, believing him to be a walker.

Y'see, I really think that most of you are looking at it from the cold, logical standpoint, when that does not, nor will it ever, always apply to a situation. You're a human being, for Christ's sake, and that means that you're better than the walkers.

Also, Carl is an idiot. While some of that blame could be placed on (insert adult here) for leaving him alone, he's growing up fast in a world that's not very forgiving of mistakes. He should've known it was stupid to go into the woods. Yes, taking the gun to protect himself was a good idea, but not killing the walker wasn't. My own argument will probably be turned against me here, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Killing a walker in that situation is easy to rationalize, because you honestly did not know the person, so you can drop them like a bad habit and not lose much sleep over it. Leading a walker back to the group like he did was plain stupid, and while that can be chalked up to "he's a kid" it doesn't take much effort to point at the woods and start screaming as soon as you run back to the farm.

(Also, for the sake of defending myself from vitriol, Scrib, this was not intended to be a personal attack, you were just the most vocal Shane supporter.)

EDIT: Note that I made this post before I had seen the episode, so I was working off of what I knew of Dale's character and Dethklok's spoilers. I'm not going to change the post based on the new information, because I still raise some good points, and I enjoy being wrong.

Kai Shek
03-05-2012, 10:12 AM
To me, all Dale was doing was guilt tripping everyone, making the decision harder than it needed to be. He had no solution to the problem, he's just the guy that remains on his high horse so he can look down on everyone else. Every single one of them would have had trouble killing the boy except for Shane. The decision shouldn't have been easy, and it wasn't. Whether or not Rick would have done the deed if Carl didn't show up remains to be seen, but I'd like to think he would have.

Yes Dale, this is a world where its the survival of the fittest; something you just found out. Maybe if he spent the day he had thinking of a solution rather than trying to make everyone feel guilty about what needed to be done, I'd hold him in a higher regard.

Carl was taken off my good character list halfway through, but when his actions killed Dale, he was put right back on.

I am not a Shane supporter, since he's way too extreme about it, but where Shane is on the extreme part of a spectrum that keeps them alive, Dale is on the extreme part that kills them all.

Scrib
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
The problem that I have with all the Dale hate, is that all he's really trying to do is keep some semblance of humanity in the group. He's basically a walking conscience for the group, and because there isn't really a better parallel, he's the guy who'd be giving the player free stuff for good karma if this was a video game.

All Dale really wants to do is ensure that the group doesn't lose what made them human. What separates them from the walkers. The whole entire reason for Dale's "soapbox moment" as Dethklok put it, is that he wants the group to show a little human decency every now and then. Say what you will about Herschel, he was right, in a fashion. They aren't people now, but at one time they were.

No Dale is a delusional idiot who is hanging on to outdated beliefs because he's not strong enough to face facts; that the world he lived in is gone, permanently. Civilisation is dead and so is any incentive to act like it isn't.

Notice how he never truly provides alternatives when he's being a dick, all he ever says is that they should be 'better'. What the fuck does that mean? Is a virus 'better' than a human being? No? Then why is it that Ebola can ride your body like a love bus and not just survive in it but multiply? The name of the game is survival, that is the end goal, not trying to keep alive belief systems worthless in the real world.

Walkers aren't people, whether they were before is irrelevant. Jenner provided evidence that they weren't. They're meatsacks with residual instincts. They do not need to be treated with respect, they need to be put down or avoided, depending on the situation. That's the reality, avoiding it because it's uncomfortable is just dumb.

And who is he to say what makes a person human?

You guys suck for hating Dale, and it really makes me wonder how many of you could actually honestly do the cold, efficient thing in the face of the kind of choices you'd have to make. Before you say "I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it", you can't honestly say that. In all probability, you've never been faced with a choice of that magnitude. To reference Season One, let's go with the guy that got bit. Now, I'm sure Scrib will say that he should have been put down on the spot, because he seems like he loves Shane and the moral choices Shane would make. That's all fine and dandy, but I honestly think that Scrib wouldn't be able to make that choice when it was presented to him in the same fashion.

We can't know until the zombie apocalypse can we? But I have a fairly good idea about which way I would swing. But that is all irrelevant to the argument.

Rick is an excellent median between Dale and Shane's viewpoints, because he'll do what needs to be done, but not until that point. Dale might not be capable of doing whatever needs to be done, and Shane wouldn't hesitate as soon as the choice was presented to him. And that's the issue that Dale has with Shane. He's too quick to jump the gun. He didn't have to do some of the things he did.

As an example, Shane wanted to kill Randall right away. That's fine and dandy, he could give them up to his group, etc. Except he couldn't. He was blind-folded the whole way to the farm, and all the way to the bus depot he was in the trunk and had earbuds playing generic metal so he couldn't hear any outside noise. Leaving him out there like that with a canteen and some food was the decent thing to do. That is, until he revealed that he went to school with Maggie (Which may or may not be a lie, we don't really know) At that point, it became prudent to kill him, because it became likely that he could have knowledge of where the farm was, but it wasn't entirely possible.

Which is Dale's entire point. Just because he went to school with Maggie didn't mean he knew where she lived. It was more than likely, but there was still a chance. Also, his group left him for dead. If he came hobbling back in, especially with the fact of how they left him to die, they'd probably shoot him on sight, believing him to be a walker.

Y'see, I really think that most of you are looking at it from the cold, logical standpoint, when that does not, nor will it ever, always apply to a situation. You're a human being, for Christ's sake, and that means that you're better than the walkers.

He was in the trunk sure, but he could have gauged the length of the journey and how many turns there were, what type of road etc.

And you offer a whole bunch of maybes and probablys that we have no evidence for. If there was even a one percent chance that the kid was going to lead his group back to them, it was a risk not worth taking. This isn't some video game with a respawn point, lives are at stake. No one wants to be killed, and their wives and children raped.

And again with this 'better' shit. Morality is a social construct created to benefit the society of that time. When that society fails the moral system instantly loses all value except in the minds of the individuals. Being better morally is not going to stop a walker from chewing on your bones. It's not going to magically conjure food to eat since you wasted yours on some kid who could get you all killed.It won't make you bullet proof. It. Is. Meaningless.

Red Aviary
03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Finally got around to watching some of this recently.

Early episodes were good, and the first season ended all right. I've hated the second season though, and after looking ahead at events in the comics, it looks like the retarded grimdark shit is only going to get worse. I don't think I'll be continuing with this at all. I'll wait for the World War Z movie later this year for some good zombie entertainment.

Othalan
03-05-2012, 05:44 PM
I absolutely loathed this episode. Everything about it pissed me off. Carl was mind-bogglingly stupid, Dale showed that he must have lost his fucking mind about the time the first zombie showed up, and has been living in lala-land ever since, and Rick pussied out again! Saw the preview for the next episode, and apparently they're right back at square one with Rick determined to let him go. To tell the truth, the whole fiasco gives me a new appreciation for Shane; not the man's actions so much as the sheer amount of brainless idiocy he has to put up with on a daily basis.

Overall, I'm hugely disappointed. If the next episode continues in this disgustingly moronic vein, I think I'm done watching this series.

BsuperB
03-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I honestly thought this episode finally gave some life to the season. Admittedly more the last 5 minutes or so than the episode as a whole, but it was life none-the-less.

Carl, I just... whoever mentioned stupidity being part of the geentic code, I entirely agree. Lori has been gradually getting thicker with every passing episode, I'm stunned she's not borderline retarded by now. What Carl did probably pips his mother on that one though, I was honestly cheering for the walker at that point in time.

As for Dale... I can see where he's coming from, but I agree with the majority, he needs to let go of his ideal world, it's long gone, has been since walkers started eating people. I don't hate him, but, I don't think he deserved to go out, even though it's added a spin I didn't really see coming till the final couple of minutes. Alone, in the dark, in a rage? Well this seems glaringly obvious... Though the walker actually tearing him open was new, seriously thought Darryl was going to get there in time & save him.

Speaking of which - the whole cow thing irked me, I honestly don't believe that the cow was still alive given the state it was in, not to mention that was the work of a lone walker, just seems off to me, given the time surely they'd have heard the cow too, it looked closer to the house than Darryl's new place.

I can honestly see Shane just gathering Hershal & family up & locking them away or just taking out Randall the next time he so much as breathes in the wrong direction, which would take away from it. Randall's walking far too easily on a leg that got torn to ribbons on a fence post not 2 episodes ago, probably my only other major problem with this particular showing.

Honestly, I'd let the kid live and get on with his job, keep him in tow, lock him in a room in the house or something along those lines, maybe in the barn & get Darryl to come down & watch him, eh.

Still, Carl is entirely to blame for this episode more or less. I know he's the only kid surrounded by figures he'd love to emulate and has watched lead the way through this dead world but come on... 2 Episdoes to go, I'm just finally glad something happened outside moping around a farm, Glenn having commitment issues with a girl he's banged twice and Andrea & Lori constantly sharing the lone braincell they seem to have between them.

Cyclops
03-05-2012, 06:11 PM
To tell the truth, the whole fiasco gives me a new appreciation for Shane; not the man's actions so much as the sheer amount of brainless idiocy he has to put up with on a daily basis.

This. I'd be slowly losing my sanity too if I was stuck with that group of people. Too bad Shane didn't just leave with Andrea like he was originally going to.

disturbed27
03-05-2012, 07:09 PM
And again with this 'better' shit. Morality is a social construct created to benefit the society of that time. When that society fails the moral system instantly loses all value except in the minds of the individuals. Being better morally is not going to stop a walker from chewing on your bones. It's not going to magically conjure food to eat since you wasted yours on some kid who could get you all killed. It won't make you bullet proof. It. Is. Meaningless.Yes, the logical, emotionless part of me tells me the same thing. But morals are pounded into your brain from birth. Abandoning them is not easy as you believe it is.

Empathy is built in. I don't know if any of you have ever seen someone die violently. I have. It is impossible to not feel some empathy. It isn't like watching it on a television screen. If you're the one doing the killing, in a cold moment where you aren't in direct danger, can you say with 100% certainty you would be able to go through with it? Is killing Randel, the smart thing to do? Yes. Does that mean you would be capable of it. No. I completely sympathize with and understand Rick's hesitancy.

I also do not get how people can call Shane rational. He doesn't think, he acts. He is completely guided by his instincts, he's a psychopath who is obsessed with his "best friend's" wife. He literately has almost killed Rick twice. He is fucking unstable, he may hide under a mask of 'the protector or rational one' but don't mistake that for who he really is. I like Shane as a character, but as a person I would get as far away from him as possible, so I am not the person that, eventually, he is going to kill.

redshell
03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Basically, Carl fucked up twice in this episode.

First was bringing the walker back to camp (And losing the gun on top of it all, can't wait until Darrel realizes it's missing), which obviously got Dale killed. Good shit, kid, that blood's on your hands.

And the second fuck-up for Carl was walking into the barn and saying something. I really wouldn't have been so irritated by it if he'd snuck into the loft to watch or something, but just walking in as brazen as can be, then saying "Do it"? Yeah, he fucked up there, too. If I was reading things right, Rick was getting ready to kill Randall when Carl opened his mouth.

While still on the subject of Carl being a dumbshit, his treating Carol like that was, well, stupid. Here's one of the people in the group who's actually willing to do the work (Laundry, cooking, etc.) and look after Carl when Lori's off doing whatever the hell she does, and Carl basically spits in her face about Sophia's death.

This goes right along with Scrib's "maybes" and "possibilities" that he was using to tear apart my earlier post, but maybe there is a Heaven, or at least an afterlife of some kind. Carol wants Sophia to be in a better place, that's Jim fucking Dandy, but you should keep your observations on the subject to yourself.

Just because Carl thinks that since the world's gone to shit that means God doesn't exist, doesn't mean that's what everybody else thinks.

samkar
03-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Psychopaths are highly rational because they have no conscience which limits their options. Shane is no psychopath. I think he's more driven by fear for his life, loosing his position in the group to Rick, loosing a family with Lori/Carl. He's desperate and highly frustrated, no doubt. I also think the whole Otis situation deeply affected him.

Oruma
03-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Gods, this episode made me raged so hard. I had just about enough for the grimdark angsty stuff.

Also, FFS Samkar: it's losing, not loosing.

IdSayWhyNot
03-06-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm done watching this show. Hopefully the graphic novels will be better.

redshell
03-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm done watching this show. Hopefully the graphic novels will be better.

I just bought the first 'book' of the series online yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find it on the porch this morning. That being said, the graphic novels of the series are better, in my opinion, though the show is no slouch. The show is doing things differently than the graphic novels did, granted, but it's loosely following the same story.

I'm only up to the point in the graphic novels where Rick and the others have left the farm and are basically trying to figure out what to do.

I left it without spoilers because, in my opinion, it's a foregone conclusion that the group is going to leave the farm anyway.

Also, what's with some characters from the graphic novel not being in the show (Tyreese, his daughter, and her boyfriend come to mind) and some characters from the show not being in the graphic novel (Darrel and his brother come to mind here)?

Atomicwalrus
03-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I must say I prefer the comics, I find myself less hoping the zombies kill every one then I do in the TV show.

awinarock
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
I just bought the first 'book' of the series online yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find it on the porch this morning. That being said, the graphic novels of the series are better, in my opinion, though the show is no slouch. The show is doing things differently than the graphic novels did, granted, but it's loosely following the same story.

I'm only up to the point in the graphic novels where Rick and the others have left the farm and are basically trying to figure out what to do.

I left it without spoilers because, in my opinion, it's a foregone conclusion that the group is going to leave the farm anyway.

Also, what's with some characters from the graphic novel not being in the show (Tyreese, his daughter, and her boyfriend come to mind) and some characters from the show not being in the graphic novel (Darrel and his brother come to mind here)?

Tyreese, his daughter, and her boyfriend come later in the series. They haven't left the farm yet. The hope of the farm being a permanent safe haven for the group still exists in the show.

redshell
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Tyreese, his daughter, and her boyfriend come later in the series. They haven't left the farm yet. The hope of the farm being a permanent safe haven for the group still exists in the show.

I'm all caught up in the show, dude. Also, them coming later on sort of intrigues me because that might be at the point where Rick stops trusting outsiders. Then again, Rick's character progresses a lot faster in the comics than he does in the show.

Shane dying so early in the comics might have been what made Rick start becoming such a hardass. I wonder if maybe that's why they left Shane alive in the show, to portray that part of Rick's character in the comics?

And another thing, why does Carl actually look seven in the comics but in the show he looks 10-12?

Oruma
03-06-2012, 11:29 PM
It's easier to get good child actors around 10-12 of age - or at least that's what I think.

awinarock
03-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Shane dying so early in the comics might have been what made Rick start becoming such a hardass. I wonder if maybe that's why they left Shane alive in the show, to portray that part of Rick's character in the comics?

Not to mention the fact that writers seem to constantly want to pussy out of making Rick's character darker. In my opinion, it wasn't really Shane's death that turned Rick into such a hardass, so much as him always being a hardass. We don't really get a good look of his personality before the zombie apocalypse, just glimpses. He seemed like a guy that knew what needed to be done to ensure the safety of his group, even if he didn't agree with it because if he didn't, then no one else in the group would. I don't know, that just what I think.

And another thing, why does Carl actually look seven in the comics but in the show he looks 10-12?

Maybe he was the only kid that could actually act at the audition and looked somewhat similar to Carl in the comics. Whatever the case, the show really shitted on the idea of the idea of Carl being a badass, as the comics portrayed him to be.

Scrib
03-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Yes, the logical, emotionless part of me tells me the same thing. But morals are pounded into your brain from birth. Abandoning them is not easy as you believe it is.

Empathy is built in. I don't know if any of you have ever seen someone die violently. I have. It is impossible to not feel some empathy. It isn't like watching it on a television screen. If you're the one doing the killing, in a cold moment where you aren't in direct danger, can you say with 100% certainty you would be able to go through with it? Is killing Randel, the smart thing to do? Yes. Does that mean you would be capable of it. No. I completely sympathize with and understand Rick's hesitancy.

I also do not get how people can call Shane rational. He doesn't think, he acts. He is completely guided by his instincts, he's a psychopath who is obsessed with his "best friend's" wife. He literately has almost killed Rick twice. He is fucking unstable, he may hide under a mask of 'the protector or rational one' but don't mistake that for who he really is. I like Shane as a character, but as a person I would get as far away from him as possible, so I am not the person that, eventually, he is going to kill.

I've never understood this argument. It's quite simple really, the beings that can realise that the paradigm has shifted are the beings that will survive. Yes, emotionally you will think that it's wrong but you don't have to listen to your emotions anymore than you do any other biological urge. You don't stuff your face with everything on the menu or fuck every woman that throws a smile in your direction. The people who realise that logical thinking is the solution to the problem are more likely to survive. Emotional comfort does not come before the safety of the group, which is why I think Rick is a selfish prick. Sacrifices aren't just made in the physical realm, sometimes leaders must give up their own peace of mind and certainty for the people in their charge.

Shane's moral code may just be a way to counter his guilt over Otis, but it doesn't make him any less right. And as for him being 'obsessed' with Lori, keep in mind that they were in a relationship for a while through an extremely traumatic period.

Does he have issues? Undoubtedly. Has he been right about every major issue this season? Undoubtedly. I don't need to like him to agree with him.

Kang
03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Pussy out of Rick's character in the show? Did you not see that sumbitch shoot two humans to protect the camp from a threat that may or may not have happened?

I don't have anything to say to the arguments for going full retard that some of you guys are espousing. Still human bro so acting halfway decent still has to be an option.

awinarock
03-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Pussy out of Rick's character in the show? Did you not see that sumbitch shoot two humans to protect the camp from a threat that may or may not have happened?

I don't have anything to say to the arguments for going full retard that some of you guys are espousing. Still human bro so acting halfway decent still has to be an option.

And did you not see that they practically threatened him when he politely refused? The fatass basically said that he wants some pussy and he'd shot Rick with his rifle. He was an immediate and obvious threat. It's easy to strike down the obvious threat, but not so much when it's some kid that could ratting out your location and have you all killed, and the women and children raped, or be completely innocent. He should have killed Randell, but he didn't have the balls to go through with out.

Decency is just a construct of a civilized society that guarantees protection for those that follow it's laws. Civilization is gone and decency with it. There are people that will kill the men and rape the women in Rick's camp till they wish they were dead. If you risk being "decent", you risk being killed. Simple as that. We're talking from the perspective of a zombie apocalypse, not reality.

Dethklok
03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Shane finally pushed too far, and Rick had an awkward moment with Carl.

Also, it seems that you die, you turn into a walker, no matter what. And next week, Zombie Blitzkrieg.

How the fuck do you do spoilertag black bars?

BsuperB
03-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Not the way I pictured Shane going out frankly, but it felt right albeit rather fucked up. Not so sure how I feel about even the plain ol' dead coming back as Walkers, though having never read the comics I'm not sure whether that was the case there or not.

I don't personally agree with it, there has to be some kind of explanation but eh... I'll let it slip.

So, Carl now has the guilt of killing Dale on his mind coupled with his dad murdering the guy who basically played his father for however long Rick was in a coma, that's... going to make for an interesting angle on paper come s3, to me at least.

But yeah, that final 5 minutes was rather poorly foreshadowed and glaringly obvious. Kind of annoyed they didn't show Glenn and Darryl again though I'm presuming the events with Shane and Rick took place not long after they dealt with Walker Randall.

So, 45 minutes to wrap up an escape from the farm or a valiant last stand, think we'll see any more of the cast get killed off in terms of the main characters or are Hershall's kids up for Walker food? Can't wait for next weeks finale either way, hopefully it wraps up this somewhat dragged out series decently enough now that the tension's being set loose and the build up's finally over.

awinarock
03-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Not the way I pictured Shane going out frankly, but it felt right albeit rather fucked up. Not so sure how I feel about even the plain ol' dead coming back as Walkers, though having never read the comics I'm not sure whether that was the case there or not.

I don't personally agree with it, there has to be some kind of explanation but eh... I'll let it slip.

So, Carl now has the guilt of killing Dale on his mind coupled with his dad murdering the guy who basically played his father for however long Rick was in a coma, that's... going to make for an interesting angle on paper come s3, to me at least.

But yeah, that final 5 minutes was rather poorly foreshadowed and glaringly obvious. Kind of annoyed they didn't show Glenn and Darryl again though I'm presuming the events with Shane and Rick took place not long after they dealt with Walker Randall.

So, 45 minutes to wrap up an escape from the farm or a valiant last stand, think we'll see any more of the cast get killed off in terms of the main characters or are Hershall's kids up for Walker food? Can't wait for next weeks finale either way, hopefully it wraps up this somewhat dragged out series decently enough now that the tension's being set loose and the build up's finally over.

The idea in the comics was that there was some kind of airborne virus that brings people back as Walkers right after they die. As for Carl, in my opinion, this was something that should have been dealt with a long time ago. It's a kid being raised in a apocalyptic world, so how's his psyche going to be affected?

If any one the cast is likely to die, it's most likely the lesser known Hershell kids, Andrea, or T-dog.

BsuperB
03-12-2012, 02:06 AM
THat probably works that problem out then, a little odd as surely the living would catch it and die, but, fair enough.

As for Carl, I meant with regards to seeing his father with Shane's corpse. Can only really imply one thing and at his age, particularly with the role Shane played in his life before and after Rick was comatosed, it'll have some kind of effect on him.

redshell
03-12-2012, 02:40 AM
THat probably works that problem out then, a little odd as surely the living would catch it and die, but, fair enough.

As for Carl, I meant with regards to seeing his father with Shane's corpse. Can only really imply one thing and at his age, particularly with the role Shane played in his life before and after Rick was comatosed, it'll have some kind of effect on him.

The issue with an airborne virus like that is just this. The human body creates white blood cells to fight infections and disease and all that. When the body dies, things like that stop working. Maybe it's just something that we are naturally immune to in a living state because the white cells in our body are enough to fight it off.

RustyRed
03-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I've been thinking... at the end of episode 11, where Dale goes out to the field and finds that gutted cow...

I was wondering if anyone else thought 'zombie cow! o shit!' or if it had just recently been attacked by the walker and just hadn't died yet. Like maybe that's what the CDC guy told Rick--the virus was spreading to other animals.

Or I guess, more likely, he probably just told him that every dead person comes back as a zombie. Which is what happens in the comics, but I'm pretty sure there were a few cases in earlier episodes where that didn't happen, and so I ruled it out. Argh, continuity!

Castiel
03-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Why would Rick not tell others something like that? Even if he did not want everyone else to panic he would have told that to at least one other person so that if he dies someone else is there to tell the group about it if a situation requires it.

Why would he turn his back on Shane after killing him if he knew Shane would come back as a zombie?

I always thought that Jenner told Rick that Lori was pregnant. But the facial expression of Rick in that scene doesn't seem too fitting so I am not so sure about it.

RustyRed
03-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Well, yeah, but we've already seen in this show that characters rarely make the cool, logical decisions, lol. Especially in that moment, when his son just came across him having killed Shane, I can actually understand his distraction.

Maybe he didn't think it would happen that fast. Maybe the writers just contrived a situation where Carl would have to shoot Shane.

Honestly, if that's not what the CDC guy told him, I don't know what the hell it could be. :P

Anyway, nobody else thought the cow thing was weird? All disemboweled but still mooing?

MattSilver
03-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Zombie cow. Duh.

(IT MAKES NO PERFECT SENSE).

Kang
03-15-2012, 11:31 AM
In the comics, Shane doesn't come back alive straight away. They bury him and when Rick finds out they come back to life whenever you die, he comes back to see him slowly clawing his way back to the surface and puts a bullet into him.

One of the best scenes in the comics, hands down.

Joe
03-15-2012, 11:46 AM
In the comics, Shane doesn't come back alive straight away. They bury him and when Rick finds out they come back to life whenever you die, he comes back to see him slowly clawing his way back to the surface and puts a bullet into him.

One of the best scenes in the comics, hands down.

Yeah, it's got that whole...

'I kinda think you'd be just fine with me clawing under the earth, but that just don't sit right with me... BLAM!'

Powerful stuff.

Dethklok
03-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Good season finale, lots of the old ultraviolence.

Rick lays down the law: "This isn't a democracy." Damn straight.

And season 3: Prison.

Holing up in a prison is actually a very good idea in a zombie apocalypse. Close to a fortress as you can find, short of a presidential bunker or Fallout-type vault space.

NORAD also comes to mind as a good spot to go to ground. Saw a special on TV about it one time. Big-ass vault doors, a reservoir, in a mountain hardened against nuclear attack.

Relic
03-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Why didn't they just run away in the first place when they saw so many?

disturbed27
03-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Umm.. Okay. The katana wielding, cloak wearing, walker pet having, fucker is a little over the top.

I get the katana, I suppose. If someone had martial arts training, I could understand. It takes more force to cut someones head of than to smash their skulls, so a baseball bat or a pipe would be more effective, but it is fast and if it was all that was handy, I wouldn't complain.

The zombie thing is really implausible though. Say you do take the time to take off their limbs and jawbone, would they really just follow you around like pets. I'm assuming fucking not. Jawbone or not they would do every thing possible to knaw on you. And, why? Why and the fuck would you want a couple of walkers on a leash?

The thing that really pisses me off, though, is the cloak. Name the most useless, most couter productive, stupidest piece of clothing you could wear in a zombie apocalypse. A cloak. It would hinder movement and vision. The two things most vital in a zombie fucking apocalypse.

Someone that stupid/crazy should have been dead by now.

samkar
03-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Why didn't they just run away in the first place when they saw so many?

I thought more about why they didn't just drive over the zombies. The whole battle scene was stupid the way it was done. But it's a general problem of the TV show and comic. If you know they are attracted by noise why not attract them and kill them in groups like they did in the barn. If the show would use common sense but there's almost none.

I know the comic and though I like its atmosphere its shallow and throw away plot can get quite annoying. It's a never ending repeating formula which was a success in the beginning so the writer continues it forever more only with new background settings and new characters after each culling. I hoped the TV show could be something more but the way it works now I don't expect it.

---------- Post automerged at 07:04 ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 ----------

Umm.. Okay. The katana wielding, cloak wearing, walker pet having, fucker is a little over the top.

It's a character from the comics which was introduced the same way.

Atomicwalrus
03-19-2012, 02:13 AM
In the comic I think it was explained that her having the zombies on a leash helped to keep other zombies away, I took it as similar to how Rick covered himself in zombie guts to hide his smell.

But I agree the character is over the top she's easily my least favourite character.

Castiel
03-19-2012, 02:29 AM
I am just curious, is everyone this stupid in the comic too?

If you are driving an RV through a herd of zombies, keep the door FUCKING CLOSED.

Once the people you are trying to rescue are on the top, DRIVE THE FUCK AWAY. Do not go to the said door so that zombies can eat you.

Oh and the "This isn't a democracy." was bad-ass.

Joe
03-19-2012, 03:37 AM
I am just curious, is everyone this stupid in the comic too?

No, everyone is not this stupid. That RV shit would never have happened in the comics. In the comics, you get more of a sense that things are beyond hopeless, too, which justifies more of the characters' actions - such as suicide. Maybe its just the medium transition.

Also,

http://i.qkme.me/3odaqj.jpg

Castiel
03-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Also, writing for Rick sucks.

I KNOW that he was right in killing Shane but the way he explained it to Lori I got half-convinced he should be burned as a demon. All the time I was waiting for him to say "... and then he pulled a gun on me." But he is like, "Oooooh, I killed him and I LOVED IT!!!!".

When he explained it to the group, he should have been like, "He tried to kill me, so I did him instead. You know? Self-defence?" But he explained how Shane was dangerous to the group (which considering Rick and the group's ideals is not enough reason to kill Shane, Randall was dangerous too) as far as I remember he mentioned Shane setting up the entire thing only in brief and towards the end. This is a lame attempt at unnecessarily creating drama.

And I really don't understand Lori. She has ONE job. Control Carl. But he has escaped twice, once he caused the death of Dale and the second time he brought a horde of zombies on the farm killing 3 people, destroying their safe-home and what-not. I get it that he killed Shane and saved Rick but if he never went there Rick would not have taken his eyes of Shane and would have disposed him off in a silent way letting the zombies pass.

Then she asks Rick to "defend" his family from Shane. Then she goes to Shane and has a trip down the memory lane of their time together. If I did not know better I would have thought she was setting them up to kill each other and then jump on T-Dog or maybe Daryl.

Scrib
03-19-2012, 12:19 PM
snip

Goddamnit, as much as I hate Rick that picture is awesome. And I just changed my avatar too :mad:

BTW just started the comics. And Rick is just hilarious. "I'll let you stay here until this stuff blows over." It's odd when you know how dead wrong a character can be.

Xiph0
03-20-2012, 03:15 AM
When he explained it to the group, he should have been like, "He tried to kill me, so I did him instead. You know? Self-defence?" But he explained how Shane was dangerous to the group (which considering Rick and the group's ideals is not enough reason to kill Shane, Randall was dangerous too) as far as I remember he mentioned Shane setting up the entire thing only in brief and towards the end. This is a lame attempt at unnecessarily creating drama.

And I really don't understand Lori. She has ONE job. Control Carl. But he has escaped twice, once he caused the death of Dale and the second time he brought a horde of zombies on the farm killing 3 people, destroying their safe-home and what-not. I get it that he killed Shane and saved Rick but if he never went there Rick would not have taken his eyes of Shane and would have disposed him off in a silent way letting the zombies pass.

Nailed my two biggest problems with the finale. All the same, I'm happy: I've been waiting for the Ricktatorship shit to happen for two seasons now, and Shane's needed a knife to the kidney for a long damn time.

redshell
03-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I only just got around to watching the episode, so, yeah. All in all, it was a decent episode, and actually provided some good old violence in a season that was largely about the drama.

Onto my gripes about it.

Lori... Lori basically just solidified her position as a dumb cunt, if she hadn't already. At first, she seemed fine with the idea of Rick killing Shane. Then, he said that Carl was the one who put down the walker wearing Shane's skin. Suddenly, it's a big deal, enough that she refuses to let him explain any further.

Carol. Carol is useless, as evidenced by the fact that she decided to pick up a stick to defend herself against a bunch of walkers. Okay, that's understandable, she doesn't carry a gun or know how to use it, but she also unnecessarily creates drama for the group every single time she opens her mouth. "He shouldn't have kept that from us." Bullshit he shouldn't have. He didn't know for sure, and until he did, there was no use in telling everyone, because that would create unneeded tension in the group. Everyone would have everyone else in their crosshairs. Furthermore, that would just give Shane an excuse to kill Rick. "We're all carriers, ain't we? He just turned faster than the rest of us." And another thing, Carol saying that Daryl is basically Rick's thug. Do you know why she sees things like that? Because Rick trusts Daryl to do the shit nobody else wants to do, or go do something like look for firewood and come back.

Maggie being stupid and then getting shot down by Herschel was good, in my opinion. It shows that the man has come to accept reality, which I can respect, and at least he's not falling apart because his farm is overrun.

As far as the Ricktatorship goes, I think it's been a long time coming. They look to him for guidance, but as soon as he fucks up, they can do better. In my opinion, he should've challenged that way of thinking a long time ago the way he did.

As far as Katana + Cloak girl, I don't have the second hardback of the graphic novel, so I have no idea who she is, but yeah, I agree with the general consensus, a cloak is fucking retarded. You should never wear loose clothes like that in a zombies situation. It'll get snagged on something or, better yet, a zombie will grab it while you're running away and choke you with it while you struggle to get free. A katana, on the other hand, is less so, even if the damn thing only has one edge and you've gotta swing it just right to get a decapitation like she did. Again, as people have said, she probably keeps the walkers for the same reason that Rick and Glen covered themselves in walker blood and guts, so they can't smell them.

On the subject of Andrea, she swooped in and saved the day, only to be left behind. I liked that as a plot element, because it showed that the group was capable of leaving someone if push came to shove. She escaped into the woods, and showed herself resourceful enough to use the butt of the gun as a club (among other things) to kill walkers, although why she was wasting time (and ammo) to shoot them was beyond me. If you have 3 left in one magazine and a handful in your pocket, you're going to want to conserve ammo. Kill only those who are directly in the way between you and your destination, even if you have to go around some. It's more intelligent, but, as was said, not everybody on this show makes the best decision.

TL;DR: The show's women are stupid.

Scrib
03-23-2012, 06:29 PM
"He shouldn't have kept that from us." Bullshit he shouldn't have. He didn't know for sure, and until he did, there was no use in telling everyone, because that would create unneeded tension in the group.

This seems to make sense at first, then you think about all the times that there are only two group members together or when that kid wanted to kill herself and the possible consequences. What if someone was hurt, I mean look how fast Shane turned. Not to mention that it's just not for him to fucking keep to himself when it threatened the lives of everyone in the group. And in the post-zombie world, Jenner's word was perhaps the closest thing to a sure thing there is.

Also, on the Ricktatorship, he was a victim of his own indecisiveness. Sometimes he would declare everything a democracy and get people to vote -when he wanted some way out of a situation he knew damn well he had to deal with- and others he would make a blanket decision for everyone, like when he spared Randall -twice- when he knew damn well he should have done it. So when it suited him he switched between dictator and Mr. Democracy, so he brought it on himself. It's not like people were pounding on his door begging for the right to vote.

And yes, every single woman on the show is worthless apart from Andrea, and apparently she's gone too. :(

BsuperB
07-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Season 3 Premiers Sunday, October 14th - Season Preview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ShQz68Zkb3Y)

Castiel
07-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Rick turned out to be way more bad-ass than I was expecting.

Scrib
07-16-2012, 10:38 PM
I see someone has been reading the Zombie Survival Guide xD.

Also, I did not just see a zombified Darryl. I refuse to even consider it. It was some random mook.

BsuperB
07-16-2012, 10:41 PM

Also, I did not just see a zombified Darryl. I refuse to even consider it. It was some random mook.

... I refuse to re-watch the video now just because I fear I'll see that too. Having not read the comics, I noticed Hershall just stopped showing up around the 2 minute mark so I assumed when they ran into the Walkers in the prison that, yeah...

Please don't make Darryl a walker.

Scrib
07-21-2012, 03:01 AM
EDIT: lol, double post...a few days apart.

Othalan
07-21-2012, 04:42 AM

What? I didn't see any walkers that look like Darryl. What part of the video are you talking about?

Scrib
07-21-2012, 05:08 AM
Around 3:25 onwards. The zombie being held back.

Othalan
07-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Huh, saw that the first time around but thought the zombie's face looked a little too pudgy to be Darryl. On second glance it does look a bit like him, but I don't know if I believe that AMC would give us that big of a spoiler in the announcement trailer, much less actually kill him off that way, seeing as how Darryl's been a fan favorite since the middle of season 1. Personally I think it's more likely that Lori gets ganked this season.

Edit: Also, did I just see Merle pull an Ash Williams with his missing hand?

Scrib
07-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Huh, saw that the first time around but thought the zombie's face looked a little too pudgy to be Darryl. On second glance it does look a bit like him, but I don't know if I believe that AMC would give us that big of a spoiler in the announcement trailer, much less actually kill him off that way, seeing as how Darryl's been a fan favorite since the middle of season 1. Personally I think it's more likely that Lori gets ganked this season.

Edit: Also, did I just see Merle pull an Ash Williams with his missing hand?

Lori needs to go, preferably before she breeds. But I doubt it, the idiocy and meaningless drama that can come from Rick's kids is a nice little plot lubricant that I don't think the writers want to give up.

awinarock
07-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Lori needs to go, preferably before she breeds. But I doubt it, the idiocy and meaningless drama that can come from Rick's kids is a nice little plot lubricant that I don't think the writers want to give up.

Not to mention the fact that the writers probably don't have the balls to finish her.

If they do, they probably won't end her the way the comics did.

BsuperB
07-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Well, having not read the comics I'll avoid the spoiler, but join in on the Lori needs to die group, her and Carl preferably. sure it'll break Rick, though potentially it'll make him more brutal than he is, even though he was starting to come across as people describe him in the comics, at least to me. Still, more Carl with a gun, alone, un-supervised, I swear the writers do this just to make us angry and keep us watching in case the little shit finally gets what he seems to desperately want from his undead companions.

Jake96er
08-03-2012, 02:52 AM
Hey! Couldn't find a thread for the Walking Dead comics so I thought I'd post here. Did anyone read issue 100?

Man, I almost lost it right in the store :puke:
Anyone one else have thoughts on the issue?

Red Aviary
08-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Stupid shit like what happens in that issue is why I refuse to pick this book back up after having to drop it a while ago.

Dethklok
10-14-2012, 10:05 PM
It's back! S3 Ep1.

Liked what I saw, but what happened to Hershel could have been avoided if everyone checked the 'dead' bodies. Just because a Walker is not moving doesn't mean it's not a threat.

Euroclydon
10-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Meh, they were in a bit of a rush throughout that scene. While unfortunate, I do think that it's believable.

Kai Shek
10-15-2012, 12:41 AM
It's back! S3 Ep1.

Liked what I saw, but what happened to Hershel could have been avoided if everyone checked the 'dead' bodies. Just because a Walker is not moving doesn't mean it's not a threat.

Hershel also could have, you know, went around instead over the 'dead' body. It's hard to imagine that he wouldn't just be smart and avoid putting his leg right within biting range. At least that way if the Walker does move, he has time to react.

I can let it go since he was worried about his daughter, but that should be in avoid getting bitten 101.

"Under no circumstances should one leave an extremity within the reach of a Walker's mouth unless you yourself has put something sharp and pointy into said Walker's brain."

MattSilver
10-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Carl planted the sleeping zombie for Hershel. No one cock blocks Carl. No one.

Fucking awesome premiere was awesome. I have literally never been happier to see a show return. VIVA LA THE WALKING DEAD.

RustyRed
10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
To be fair, we had to know it was coming; Hershel getting effed up provides the most dramatic tension at the moment, with Lori about to pop a kid and what not. Jeez, I really want them at some point to just lure the walkers all into the same area, and douse them with gasoline or something. There's got to be a better way than running around dark halls with guns and flash lights. O_O

Euroclydon
10-15-2012, 05:47 PM
I see you have never played Left 4 Dead.
The only thing worse than a zombie, is a zombie that's on fire.

the joy of a flaming hunter leaping on to your head *___*

RustyRed
10-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Well, yeah, you wouldn't want to be in the same room with them. O_O Maybe from up above or set a trap.

disturbed27
10-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Gasoline is way too valuable as a fuel source to be wasted. If they won't even use bullets when it's not absolutely necessary, they can't afford to use gas.

Erotic Adventures of S
10-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Still these people are idiot.

When the cleared the inner courtyard they walked in and did hand to hand combat. They could have just made a lot of noise and lured them to the fence to finish them off. It worked well to start with.

In fact their whole strategy of clearing the prison has been retarded. They deserve to be eaten.

I love the show but these people are idiots.

Azotez
10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Great first episode of the new season! I absolutely loved it and can't wait for more.

Still, I second the opinion of them acting retarded after they established the "safe-zone" in the outer yard. Then again, considering their situation; starved, scared and desperate, it is quite believable. Everyone makes mistakes and people who are stressed who lacks sleep, tend to make more than most.

Scrib
10-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Still these people are idiot.

When the cleared the inner courtyard they walked in and did hand to hand combat. They could have just made a lot of noise and lured them to the fence to finish them off. It worked well to start with.

In fact their whole strategy of clearing the prison has been retarded. They deserve to be eaten.

I love the show but these people are idiots.

Pretty much. Why would you get into a situation where you could be cut off and surrounded? Outside the prison I can kinda let go off because it was more for visual reasons than anything, inside...they just couldn't move the plot along without someone being dumb.

Erotic Adventures of S
10-18-2012, 06:03 PM
If I was there I would have cleared the outer courtyard by stabbing them through the fence, saving ammo. I would do the same to the inner courtyard, make a lot of noise until they come to the fence then stab them, if needed, send the Asian kid in to run around screaming getting any stays to follow him back to the fence. Once secure grab all the bodies and take them out of the compound and away from where they might pollute the river or ground.

Once everyone is rested and settled a bit, secure one area inside the prison where they can lock themselves in for safety. Then proceed to throw open doors yelling and banging and seeing if anything comes to you, slowly clearing areas one at a time.

Hell if they were really ambitious they could have gotten the walkers from the inner area of the prison to follow a person acting as bait and trap them between the inner and outer fence as a sort of extra guard. That way if any other living people come by they see the walkers and carry on thinking the place is infested.

The prison is an ideal base of operations, they can plant food, store goods, place watches in the towers, maybe even take a few people in to help with the place.

pdo91
10-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Was anyone else really put off by the guns? There was no recoil, the slides didn't move on the pistols, and there were no spent shells at all. All I could do during the action-y scenes was stare at them and go "That's not how guns work dammit!" Completely took me out of it, which is a shame because the prison arc is badass. If they keep up the derpy pew-pew they had this episode for the rest of the season, it'll suck.

Edit: Just looked at some season 2 episodes; they actually shoot blanks then. I thought maybe this was just the first time I noticed, but they did change it. LAME.

Scrib
10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Once everyone is rested and settled a bit, secure one area inside the prison where they can lock themselves in for safety. Then proceed to throw open doors yelling and banging and seeing if anything comes to you, slowly clearing areas one at a time.

Pretty much. And If you get tired...retreat to your cell block and lock it and come back tommorrow. You have all the time in the world. Well, you would if you weren't burdened by an idiot whose only ambition in life is to be as big a problem as possible, to the point that she's splitting into two problems like some malevolent bacterium.

MattSilver
10-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Well.

"Shit happens."

:awesome

Kai Shek
10-22-2012, 01:44 AM
So glad we didn't have to put up with that guy for more than 1 episode.

Relic
10-22-2012, 01:48 AM
First time I watched this on TV at a friends place and god damn, the douchebag that does "Talking Dead" is the most obnoxious person I've seen in a while, and I live in New Jersey so that's saying something.

The ads for his show bothered me throughout but it hit a tipping point where there was this really intense scene and then they cut to commercial and bam, the cunt yells "DID YOU SEE HOW THEY CUT OFF HERSHEL'S FOOT" or some rubbish with that stupid ass grin on his face.

This bothered me way more than it should, but god damn, that guy should be removed from television.

IdSayWhyNot
10-22-2012, 06:38 PM
When you can think of two dozen obvious solutions to the protagonist's problems - solutions the show doesn't even address or consider - it's pretty hard to stay interested.

Othalan
10-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Was anyone else really put off by the guns? There was no recoil, the slides didn't move on the pistols, and there were no spent shells at all. All I could do during the action-y scenes was stare at them and go "That's not how guns work dammit!" Completely took me out of it, which is a shame because the prison arc is badass. If they keep up the derpy pew-pew they had this episode for the rest of the season, it'll suck.

Edit: Just looked at some season 2 episodes; they actually shoot blanks then. I thought maybe this was just the first time I noticed, but they did change it. LAME.

Actually they used both in Season 2. If you watch closely during the big gunfights, any time there's more than one shooter in the frame, the closest and most obvious person is shooting real blanks, but the one(s) behind him/her are doing that CG pew-pew nonsense. I actually hadn't noticed that this season though, which is odd, considering my gun-fondling proclivities. I guess I was paying more attention to the zombies getting ganked instead.

Rick isn't fucking around this season. It's nice to see him resolve a dispute like a (post-apocalyptic) man for a change. Here's to hoping that more "shit happens" happens this season.

Dethklok
10-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Best thing I loved about last night's episode was the lead-up to Rick taking a machete to the guy's face. It was obvious they were gonna butt heads. The guy was too aggressive and proved himself a danger. It was hilarious how the prisoners fought the zombies at first. Prison fighting with shivs is not gonna cut it. Loved the looks on Darryl, Rick and T's faces.

"Fuckin' newbies."

But what made it for me was right after the prisoner failed to kill Rick with the Walker and they were eyeing each other. I saw a real 'who's going to strike first' feel.

RustyRed
10-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, Rick actually feels dangerous this season. When Shane was around, I never really felt like Rick should be able to kick his ass in a straight up fight, but now it's like "oh shit, get out of the way!"