1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Some Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Xiph0, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

It's about time for me to upgrade my power supply and video card, but I'm sure the community around here knows the brands and stuff better than me, so I figured I'd ask for some advice. Price isn't a problem, but I have to be able to self-justify it. :p

2. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

What are your current computer specs?

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

170W Power Supply
    1.5 GB RAM
    128 MB Nvidia card
    2.2 GHz AMD Athlon processor

Stock stuff. Going to replace it all at some point but I don't feel like dropping the cash on it all atm.

4. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Hmm. A 2.2 GHz AMD CPU is pretty old. That could be a problem for you, especially if you want to upgrade later. Basically, there are two different types of slots for graphics cards- the older AGP slot and the newer PCI-E slots. If your motherboard is as old as your CPU, it means that it probably as the AGP slot.

The problem is, it's hard to find a graphics card in AGP anymore. You could try ebay or an online store, but you'd be hard pressed to find a decent card. If you just need a replacement, then any old one would do I suppose. If you're wanting to upgrade it, I reccomend you wait until you want to upgrade your whole machine. It'd be easier for you.

Besides, you'll be bottlenecked with the CPU anyway :p

As for Power Supplies, any old one would do. I've always used generic stock ones, and they've done their job well. If you want to Crossfire or SLI, I'd reccommend a really top of the line one. If not, depending on your card, 600w should do.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If I found an overclocked 1gb Nvidia 6200 PCI on E-Bay for like $30-60, it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent AGP card.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I have a PCI graphics slot, by the by. The NVIDIA card is using it currently. The computers only five years old or so. What I'm looking for is any good recommendations for video cards people like, and any PSU's as well.

Card I have
    and why I'm replacing it. It just happened to be in stock at the store I bought my comp at, and a reasonable price, so I picked it up. Can't replace it because most cards want 600-700W, therefore, gotta do both.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  7. rhduwe

rhduwe First Year

600-700W? That's way too much. Even the Core i7-based system with two GTX200's in SLI will take only 550-600W in peaks. You can use this to calculate power requirements. I'm sure any 450W PSU will be more than enough for your system, even considering their tendency to give 10-15% less power than declared.

I had almost the same system, with GeForce 6600. It performed good with my CPU, which ran at ~2 GHz. So going farther than 6800 Ultra or 7800 will be pointless.

On the other hand, if you are planning to replace other parts in the future, getting something from 9 Series may be a good idea. I have a 9800GT and the only game it couldn't handle to the moment was Crysis on max, and even it only dropped at times to about 15 fps. Got it for $110 or so.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

That's entirely untrue. There are systems that require more based on type of card and other hardware configuration aspects. But not his system.

Xiph's system is old, and won't be able to throw much hardware at it, but he could get a 'decent' PCI card. Unless it's PCI-Express (2.0 or 1.0) you can't really put much in it.

9. rhduwe

rhduwe First Year

Hmm... Like what systems for example? I'm basing my argument on the study done by guys from the quite popular site in my country. They've connected the power-measuring device directly to PSU outputs and got the aforementioned results.
    I assume we are not talking Tesla, quad SLI, raid and two or more CPU's, since those are not often used in home systems.

Oh, I didn't even notice it, my bad. PCI graphic card, that's... exotic. Perhaps the MB has an AGP slot? I can't think of anything released after FX that is using PCI.

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Maybe not idle, but at full bore a SLI system depending on the cards will eat a lot of juice. And what true dedicated game system doesn't have 2 or 3 HDDs? At least one for OS and one for games.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Uh... I'm relatively sure it's a PCI Express slot o_O. If not, that'd be a real problem.

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The 5200 is a PCI normal card mate. And a totally shitty one at that. The FX series was a fucking failure. I have one, shit literally the exact same card sitting about 5 feet from me, alone with a ATI Radeon 9xxx card, and when I slapped in a Geforce 6600 AGP card the difference was staggering.

750i board, e6600 oced @ 3.4ghz, 8800 gts, sound card, 2 sata drive, 2gb ram, 6 fans, H2O cooled, etc. That calculator tells me I should be alright with a 381w powersupply, and it's total horseshit. Hell when you select capicitor aging for having the PSU on 24/7 for 1 year, it suddenly says at least a 500w supply, nice jump. Mine with a 500w fucked up all the time, crashes, the pump wouldn't spin as fast as it should, fans weren't fully speed, etc.

If I tell it I have 2 of my cards SLI'd and I'll be running it 24/7 for more then 1 year, it says I need a 600 w supply. 600w with the CPU taking up 107 of those watts and trying to push two big ass graphic's cards? Not gonna happen. You wanna click the calculator up to peak load, and it shows 673 w. That site might get it's results in what seems like a good way, but play with a system 24/7 for a few weeks running under powered like that, and you'll notice.

750w works fine for my system now no matter what I do to it, but if I got a SLI of the same card I have now I'd want some more. Always go bigger on the PSU, and the mobo.

If I take the i7 975, and SLI GTX 280's and replace the stuff in my system with just those, no overclocking, peak load with 1 year on the PSU shows you need 877w PSU, no peak load, no aging on the PSU and right at 700w.

I've always had a problem with those calculator sites, because they never properly figure out how much load you'll use, and most of them don't take into account initially capacitor aging. Most folks won't see the fine print at the bottom, and wonder why their PSU shits out after a year or so of being overworked.

13. rhduwe

rhduwe First Year

What motherboard model do you have?

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

No clue, to be honest.

15. rhduwe

rhduwe First Year

16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Or look on the actual mobo itself. Sometimes it has a name. Also a PCI-e is a long thin slot not like a regular pci slot. Those tend to be short and a little fatter. Also PCI-e is usually colored. PCI regular is usually a beige color.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

[​IMG]

</shame>
    </already had CPU-Z>

18. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Yikes, i would rather save up for a new mobo and PCI-E card rather than another AGP card. Would save you overall in the long run.

19. rhduwe

rhduwe First Year

AGP slot, which means no upgrading for you. Well, you can, but it will not be money well spent. I can really see no way to gradually update your system – can't buy new cpu because of a motherboard, can't buy motherboard because it won't support your old CPU,memory and AGP video card...

All you can leave is your casing, optic and hard drives. Which means buying at once mb, graphic card, CPU and PSU. Yeah, I'd recommend just saving some money and getting the whole new system later. It's always better, because they will check components for compatibility and run tests.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Kk, fair nuff. Few questions then:

RAM - DDR2 or 3?
    CPU - AMD or Intel?
    Mobo - AMD or Intel? :p