1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Blade Itself/ Before They Are Hanged/ Last Argument of Kings

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by RustyRed, Aug 20, 2009.

1. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

First Law series by Joe Abercrombie--anybody read these? I'm on the second one. Really fantastic so far--the characters are all gritty and the narrative is often hilarious. I love's me some Logan Nine-fingers.

2. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

It's on my list.

I just got done reading The Lies of Lock Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch.

It's a new fantasy series that's going to stretch 14 books I believe. Or something ridiculous like that anyway. Which is good.

3. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I've read The Lies of Locke Lamora--that book is the shit. I haven't read the second one yet cause the excerpt left me a little leery of the whole, 'washed up has been' that Locke apparently becomes. Is it good?

I'd say The Blade itself and its sequels are pretty similar in terms of tone, but Abercrombie has a better sense of moderation, I guess, than Lynch. While I did appreciate much of the description he put in his books, sometimes it was a little too much. Abercrombie maintains that same narrative feel (sarcastic, witty, gritty, etc) without drowning you in details. You should definitely check it out.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I loved The Blade Itself. My favorite scene is when Logan spits the fire spirit at an enemy when he was seemingly unarmed - really creative and vivid. Abercrombie is excellent.

5. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I have read both books from the Gentlemen Bastards series, and I love it. In fact, The Lies of Locke Lamora is probably my favorite debut from an author. Lynch manages to pack humor, drama, tragedy, and almost everything else into a great tale. He also manages to write characters which are extremely likable. Of course, Lynch shares George RR Martin's ruthlessness towards his character, so you fall in love with a character at your own peril.

Th second book was a bit of a let down, but it was going to be extremely hard to top the debut book. I felt that that the second book had too much of a convoluted plot, but it was still an enjoyable affair with the progression of Locke's character. He starts out as a "washed up has been" and really I wouldn't blame him after some of the events of the last book. However, he soon recovers, and he is back to doing what Locke does best. Oh and The Gentlemen Bastards series is scheduled to go for 7 books. Unfortunately, like his hero (GRRM) Lynch has problems meeting deadlines. The third book in the series, The Republic of Thieves, has been delayed.

-----------

I finished the First Law Trilogy, and I found it to be extremely refreshing. Joe Abercrombie does something very few authors are capable of, which is surprise hardened fantasy fans. He takes the usual cliches of fantasy mocks them, while telling a great story. The aforementioned story just happens to be realistic, interesting, ruthless, gritty, and damn entertaining.

The characters are very complex whether it's psychologically or morally. The true motivations of characters are explored and revealed throughout the novels, and it's at a moment where you least expect it. I enjoyed reading about all of them with the exception of Ferro, who just had no depth to her. My favorite character was Sand Dan Glokta. I would put his character arc up against anyone else's in the history of fantasy. I feel he is probably the most complex character aside from Tyrion or Jaime Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire. That doesn't mean that the supporting cast is weak at all. West, Jezal, and Logan all manage to be memorable and stay with you long after you are done reading the books.

I did feel Abercombie's writing was a bit too repetitive and long winded at times. Also, some of some of the plot elements are very predictable, but those are my major complaints. To Abercrombie's credit though, he writes some fantastic battle and sword fighting scenes. He makes it vivid enough that you feel as if you are right there.

Having sang all these praises, I left my favorite part of the entire series for the end. Let me warn you, if you expect a happy ending, you are in for a very rude awakening. This is probably the most cynical ending to a series, I have seen, and I think it was absolutely superb. I won't spoil it for anyone, but I'm definitely anticipating discussing it with those who are finished the series or are going to.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  6. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oh man, I really have some reading to do. *is excited*

7. JoseCuervo

JoseCuervo Squib

Just finished reading The Blade Itself, great book. The characters are all well written (Don't really care for Jezal though, he kinda annoys me), and the action scenes are fantastic. Just bought Before They Are Hanged, probably gonna start it tomorrow. On another note, has anyone read Best Served Cold? It takes place in the same universe as the First Law Trilogy, and I was wondering if it was worth a look after I finished.

8. Goreshade

Goreshade Fourth Year

I got the first book from my girlfriend for my birthday, it was a great fast paced read, fun stuff. I haven't gotten a hold of the second book yet, though I have been wanting to.