1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete On the Wings of Magic by Bil - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Evil Shnitzel, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Title: On the Wings of Magic
    Author: Bil
    Rating: T
    Pairngs: None at the moment.
    Summary: AU sixth year, post OotP. Harry understands some hard truths; Minerva and Severus are drawn in. Not HBP compliant. Hero!Harry, Manipulative!Dumbledore.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2847519/1/ (again forgot the little bugger :oops: )

Only the first chapter is posted though the author say's it\s already bee written in his notebooks. From the start it's good story where thing are not overdone. Harry is perfect slytherin. Concealing his true abilities, not bashing everebody right and left and certainly not a puss anymore.
    I like it and I willl follow it.

2. Element

Element Seventh Year

Cough, link.

EDIT: I enjoyed that greatly. Harry is very cool, very Slytherin. Slight problems in Harry suddenly understanding, suddenly knowing he'd been manipulated. Completely unrealistic IMO. Also, he just randomly managed to enter himself, and look at his magic. Bit of a WTF moment there, but I really enjoyed the fic. I'm a bit worried about Severus and McGonagall being brought in, but it depends what their roles are in the story and how it happens.

Pretty decent writing style too, at least compared to most other stories out there. I'll be watching this, thanks for linking :)

EDIT 2: Just read the AN at the start.
    Well that screws. Just a short story, with interaction? Well, I'll probably still keep up with it, but this could be so much better than what the author is planning to do with it.

3. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Um....where's the link?

4. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Posted the link.
    You know it's the thrid time I forgot to post the bugger.

5. Lord Nemesis Black

Lord Nemesis Black Fourth Year

I agree, Not a bad start to what is going to be a rather short story, at least according to the author. But all in all not bad

6. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

Good start, gonna keep an eye on this.

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    good start, im gonna keep an eye on this. I like how the author avoids writing in the summer, avoiding a trap hole of many cliches.

8. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

This story is good so far. I like the Manipulative!Dumbledore but the story is way to short i know its not finished but the righter needs to keep on updating.

9. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I like this story now, it's quite good. Bookmarked it.

10. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I rather liked it.

Excellent writing style, utter lack of typos or grammatical mistakes and a solid plot make this interesting to read.

The only negative aspect, i agree with the rest of you, is that it will be extremley short. I asked him to try and elongate it in a review, but it is ultimately up to him.

He writes Slytherin!Harry very well, in the same manner that i want to charaterize Harry in my story.

I added it to my favorites and alerts, and i hope he updates quick, considering he has it all written down already.

11. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Finding stories like this one is what makes sifting through the neglected fics truly worthwhile.

The style is wonderful--concise, intelligent prose that tells a whole story in 14k words where other stories would need 140k. The characterization of Harry in the first chapter is exactly what all indy!Harry fics seek but so few find. It's awesome.

The third act is a bit problematic, as we don't get a very revealing explanation for how Harry became so powerful or figured out how to kill Voldemort. Likewise, Snape's willingness to accept Harry as a leader is a bit too sudden.

Still, on the whole this is a fantastic story. 4.5/5

12. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    The thing that you found wonderful, almost bored me to death before I had finished the second chapter though.

I agree that the fic does show a point, and manages to pass across the idea in the very short 14k words, but the way everything goes so smoothly and practically easy for Harry, makes for a rather boring read.
    The short length has resulted in the lack of conflict and that is one of the things I hate the most in fanfics, right beside Harry lead by his pecker by annoying bookworms.
    A tentative 3/5 just because it wasn't really that boring but still, it wasn't anything noteworthy either.

13. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Oh...Oh my. This one kept my interest in a way nothing has in far too long. 5/5 It was a little cliche in places but the writing style more than made up for the few plot inconsistencies.

14. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

How did this make the library? It has all the common cliche's of the rut that is independent!Harry in the first chapter. After Harry went from "I'm probably being manipulated" to "there's a block on my magic, and I can talk to it" in five paragraphs I was done.

2.5/5 for same old same old.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

It came out in 2006 you gigantic pile of douche-water.

16. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In fairness, I don't see how that should be defence. Just because something was good by standards held 4 years ago, doesn't mean it shouldn't be criticized now.

17. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I... Don't think Xiph was defending the story. >_>

18. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My mistake. Apologies, Xiph.