1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Recommendation Thread: Graphic Novels and Comics

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zoken, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Zoken

Zoken Card Captored and buttsecksed

Comics?

Anyone reading comics here? I don't mean Manga, I mean American made comics; Marvel, DC, Darkhorse, Image.

I'm not disparaging Manga, I'm just being specific in what I"m refering to.

2. Aensland

Aensland Third Year

Transmetropolitan and Sandman are the only comics I've ever read. Though a friend keeps pushing other Vertigo stuff on me.

Edit: I left out webcomics as I don't think you wanted to include those in the query, though I do read a few of those.

3. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The only comics I've read have been the Sandman and The Punisher series, though I've recently started in on the comics version of the Drizzt series.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  4. Zoken

I'm a regular of Runaways and Exiles, and I'm starting to get into a lot of Image stuff like Invincible and Dynamo 5.

Web comics can be pretty cool. Stripteasecomic.com great one with, sadly, no nudity.

5. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

I'm a fan of a few of Vertigo releases. I enjoy Hellblazer and think the Constantine movies wasn't that great compared to some of the plots in the comics. It wasn't horrible, I paid to go see it and own a copy, but it wasn't the best comic/movie adaptation either. I loved Transmet and the Invisibles (after reading them both in that order and in one sitting I swore there was some hidden message that only I was getting), Sandman is pretty sweet (I only got into it because I'm a fan of Gaiman), love the Death spinoffs, Books of Magic was alright, 100 Bullets was kinda nice.

Lucifer is one I'm currently trying to get into. I haven't picked up enough of them yet to really get into the plot.

6. Zoken

You have to read Runaways. A completely awsome series. it may take place within the Marvel Universe, but they aren't your typical super-heroes. no costumes, and they haven't used their codenames since issue 8 of the first run.

Every teenager believes at some point that their parents are evil. But what if you were right? What would you do if you found out your parents were super-villains? Runaway...

six teenagers find out that their parents are part of a super-crime-syndicate that runs L.A. and as they start running they find they have powers beyond their own imaginings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9b/Karolina.PNG/250px-Karolina.PNG the hippy alien

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5c/Runaways2_10.jpg/250px-Runaways2_10.jpg the high school goth who actually is a witch

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c0/Runaways2_24.png/250px-Runaways2_24.png The Jock who weilds super-tech

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/53/Runaways06.jpg/225px-Runaways06.jpg The anarchist with a dino to back up her views

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/eb/0504_RUNAWY015.jpg/225px-0504_RUNAWY015.jpg The 11-Year-Old mutant with super-strength

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/88/RUNAWY009.jpg/225px-RUNAWY009.jpg And their leader who doesn't need powers

along the way they pick up other runaways including

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Runaways_2.jpg/225px-Runaways_2.jpg Son of one of the greatest evils, and destined to betray all heroes

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bf/Xavincover.jpg/250px-Xavincover.jpg the Super-Skrull gender-bender.

7. Thalarian

Thalarian Seventh Year

I've browsed a few of the mainstream comics, but always enjoyed many of the Dark Horse series'. All the Aliens, Predators and Vs. series have been high on my list of enjoyable comics.

Enjoyed a lot of Witchblade (Even though the story arcs can sometimes be disjointed because of the change in writers/artists/colorists) and The Darkness. Most of the Witchblade/Darkness crossovers with Marvel, DC and Image stuff are also done very well.

I'm a huge, good-for-nothing, Michael Turner fanboy, so I've always been into his own personal works, such as Fathom and SoulFire. Michael Turner's own team (Inker D-Tron, Colorist J.D. Smith, and Letterer Joe Weems) are some of the best around, and they always make the most vibrant, detailed colored comics.

Also big fan of Marc Silvestri and Christopher Hart, and enjoyed a lot of the work they've done in Marvel (The Onslaught Saga) as well as the various other works that they've done.

Hands down, probably the best series I've ever read was Robocop vs. Terminator. Only 4 issues long but was a jewel when it came to integrating stories as well as artwork and plot.

8. Zoken

My fave series ever was Great Lakes Avengers: Missassembled. Dan Slott wrote a great story that parodied everything that "Big-Events" were. He advertised (and followed through) with killing a character in every issue. It was funny, and poiniant at the same time. You felt a connection with characters were weren't even D-List heroes, and one of whom was making her SECOND APPEARANC SINCE '91! You cared, and you laughed, and points you wanted to cry... and this was a parody. Is is excellent at meta-commentary having a 4th wall breaking squirrel talk you through the whole issue (Monkey-Joe says: Bulimia is never funny... dear god, what were they thinking?)

9. fantasyfreak

fantasyfreak Fifth Year

I read some DC and Marvel on occasion but the only ones I read regulary are the ones based off of RA Salvatores books.

10. crunchyfrog

crunchyfrog First Year

Are you including 2000AD in this? If you are, then Sinister Dexter is a work of genius!

ooo, and does anyone read Mr. Men?

11. Lady Almaren

Lady Almaren Seventh Year

I've only read a few non-manga comics. They include: V for Vendetta, Sandman, and a few issues of Buffy. Yeah, I know but I pretty much love all things Joss Whedon. And I heard he's doing a Firefly GN soon so that may be another. But that's pretty much it.

12. Zoken

If you want Joss Wheadon, He's writing Runaways now. marvel comic, check them out on Wiki.

13. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

He did a trio of comics with Dark Horse a while back, July through September '05 according to my copies. Three issues, a story called "Those Left Behind" that chronicles Inara and Book leaving the Serenity and the Blue Gloved guys turning the River problem over to the Operative we see in the movie.

The three issues came out with three different covers each (one for each of the Crew) so for collectors there are actually nine comics to buy. Yes, sadly I too have an inner Whedon Fanboy...

14. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

15. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Don't worry, my brother cracked 3 digits on the amount he read. He'd literally be on the computer for 3 hours just reading the updated ones :/

16. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

Currently I am reading:
    Gold Digger (manga style, but very much American)
    Y: The Last Man
    Powers
    Samurai: Heaven and Earth

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  17. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

Currently i'm reading war of the hulk series and i gotta say i'm so fucking excited. Jeez! The amount of heroes going after hulk and no matter what, he is just smashing through them like paper...Damn! Juggernaut, the teams of X men, the Avengers, the fantastic four heck the whole freaking country is coming at him wave after wave and Hulk is kicking there assess.

Jeez i can't wait till he goes head to head with Silver Sentry. I get shudders going down my spine.

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I only collect comics in trades. So far I have

DC - The New Frontier (DC Comics)
    Kingdom Come (DC Comics)
    Identity Crisis and it's sequel Crisis of Conscience (DC Comics)
    Ultimate X-Men Vol. 1 (Marvel Comics)
    Marvel Zombies (Marvel Comics)
    Marvel Zombies: Dead Days (Marvel Comics)

Anyone read Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness? It is one of my favorites. Ash from Evil Dead/Army of Darkness versus the Marvel Zombies is pure win.

19. Aensland

Aensland Third Year

Well, since I just saw this again I might as well mention another comic I just started reading, Doktor Sleepless. And might I add that Warren Ellis has to be some kind of god of writing.

20. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I recently picked up Fables and DMZ under the Vertigo name, excellent premise and a nice story (at least so far).

Besides those two, Ultimate X-Men, Gold Digger, and Hellblazer are the main three I am following right now.