1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Paladin of Shadows by John Ringo (Oh John Ringo No!)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by zUzaque, Aug 30, 2009.

1. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

Someones sig made me go in and read this review --> http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html

Ans Jesus Christ, that looks so fucked up and so god damned funny. It made its way to the very top of my book list. If the book turns out half as good as they look, I'm buying one of those t-shirts.

2. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

The books are available for free from the authors wikipedia page, which should give you an advance warning of their quality. However having red the first 100 or so pages of the first book (up to the most surreal BDSM sex-scene I've ever even contemplated in a literary novel) I can honestly say that these are some of the most utterly repulsive and inexcusable pieces of shit to ever make their way to text.

In short, laugh at the article, but for god's sakes do not try reading them yourself, not even "just for laughs." The author of the article is clearly gifted at extracting humour from the terrible, but its impossible to find anything actually amusing in the books. You'll just feel intellectually unclean for a few days after skimming the first few pages, as if John Ringo has personally shown up to take a shit in your frontal lobe.

Avoid.

3. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oh, I hate that feeling.

And I read the article too (the whole thing) which I'm guessing was made particularly humorous just from the reactions of the blogger dude--but I don't want any part of the actual books.

I imagine it would feel kind of like how I sometimes felt after reading Terry Goodkind--except the main character would be the one acting depraved instead of fighting against it. Blech.

4. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

These books are literary gold. Non-stop lulz, even if they are offensive on a level that is difficult to comprehend. If you read these books, you will be entertained, though you might hate yourself a bit because of that. Seriously, read them. You won't be disappointed.

5. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

I read the same review, from the same DLPer's sig. I was laughing all the way through:

And then I kept laughing, because I knew the reviewer was just making that up, and then I stopped laughing, because I realized he wasn't, and I read the rest with my jaw getting closer and closer to the floor.

The review is hilarious. A masterpiece. ("Whoreverine" alone makes it a classic.)

The books... I feel icky knowing that they exist.

And I thought John Norman had issues.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009