06-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Title: Evil Be Thou My Good
Author: Ruskbyte
Genre: Horror/Supernatural
Pairings/Couple(s): none
Rating: Mature
Words: 40,554
Published: June 24, 2005
Summary: Nine years ago Vernon Dursley brought home a certain puzzle box. His nephew managed to open it, changing his destiny. Now, in the midst of Voldemort's second rise, Harry Potter has decided to recreate the Lament Configuration... and open it... again.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2452681/1/
Link: http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/Evil_Be_Thou_My_Good/index/

Treck's note: This is Very, Very, Very well done!

The Sequel:
Title: All Problems Solved
DLP-Thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=10374
Link: (ff.net): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4446981/1/All-Problems-Solved
Link (FFA): http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/All_Problems_Solved/index.php

Checked by Minion, January 8, 2013

Dark Syaoran
06-26-2005, 02:57 AM
Very Very, Very well done doesnt even come close. This is bloody brilliant! I'm loving this! GO EVIL BOX!

Treck
06-26-2005, 12:37 PM
I know... I'm trying to get ahold of the author to get an ok to post it here as well since it's a one shot. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Allowaycar
06-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Wow. That story was so well done. Just wow.... :shock:

Dark Syaoran
06-27-2005, 01:56 AM
I hope you do get the OK to post it here. Its bloody amazing.

Antivash
06-27-2005, 06:37 PM
. wow.. i read that last night... fucking amazing really considering who the author is..

the only fic ive liked from him is flying without a broom...

but other than that... i dun like ruskbyte .. i respect him... to a degree ... as am author.. but as a person... i enjoyed projectile vomiting into a shool more than i like the guy..

Lord Ravenclaw
07-05-2005, 12:42 AM
I'd have to say Ruskbyte is one of my favorite authors, and during my hiatus from the computer I did read this story, and I was just speechless...it was wonderfully written.

Avitus
07-05-2005, 04:08 PM
I really don't like his (Ruskbyte's) writing style and his Order of the Phoenix was a complete bore IMHO... BUT this was utterly amazing!! I've never seen Hellraiser because I'm a freak and I can't stand horrer movies or gore because I get really weird and have these vision thingeys of the bad things happening to myself... like the main reason I never watched Hellraiser even though I really wanted to was because of Pinhead and those nails...COULD YOU IMAGINE IF HE TRIPPED?! THE PAIN IT CAUSES!! And these visions (i call them visions but its really my overactive imagination) like to include approximations of the level of pain... I think I threw up after that one...ANYWHO this fic was awesome *high fives Ruskbyte* it was VERY well written and even though it was short it had great character development for Harry. I could actually picture him absorbed in the building of the Lament Configuration and telling Hermione to piss off... wow.

Midknight
07-05-2005, 09:53 PM
*shrug* does it get better past the first half, which is ALL canon crap with AU bits tossed in there, or does it keep along the same thread?

EDIT: it does get better later on, but takes a god awful time to get to it.

Dark Syaoran
07-06-2005, 03:50 AM
Come on Mid, its bloody awesome. Yes, it does take awhile to get along but it still rocks.

Midknight
07-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Can't really get with this one, sorry.

-takes forever to start, recaps all the canon stuff for the first while.

-makes it AU with sticking Harry in a foster home, it shows it AU by having the exact same crap happen again and again, with just small changes chucked in till later.

-later you're stuck with a long part of him building the box, which was well written.

-then Voldie shows up, and you're treated to a way too long section of dialogue (and for ME to say this is bad, rofl) which accomplishes nothing more then Voldie attacking Pinhead, and all the death eaters get taken.

-The bit with Dumbitch and Fudge was priceless though.

Overall the various torture bits were cool for Wormtail and Bella, but all the various things killed it for me, sorry.

parselmaster
07-24-2005, 05:15 AM
I loved this story. Rustbyte wrote this one really well. The recaps on the canon can show where the AU bits pop in so that was a nice touch, I mean the Dursl-I mean wastes of flesh blood and bone, died in the begining.

Nuit
08-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Yeah it was OK, but the fact that the loving forster parents didn't change anything is a little bit strange.

Kaotac
09-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I think this is the first fic to ever give me a nightmare. After reading this, I went to an auction and there was a well decorated wooden jewelry box up for bid. Had me paranoid and getting the hell out of there as soon as possible.
Great story, though.

Nuit
09-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Never seen Hellraiser?

Dark Syaoran
09-03-2005, 10:58 PM
I havent but I want too. Badly.

Kaotac
09-07-2005, 06:59 AM
For all you KoL fans... http://kol.thraeryn.org/wiki/Cryptic_puzzle_box

Mrriddler
12-07-2005, 07:47 PM
link no work :?:

Yeah this story was a gold mine. Absolutely hilarious. I actually liked the guy's writting except for Order of Phoenix which was a complete bore. Those who hunt and the newest one which is xover with Billy, Mandy Grim is also pretty funny.

His From the Abyss is a good old Azkaban back to fuck everyone (literally) piece. He 'rapes' a whole bunch of nameless muggle girls, including a Hermione look alike for that very reason.. and Harry also makes bacon out of his blood relatives, which was cool. Pretty good/sick stuff. Take a look if you haven't.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1106246/1/

Treck
12-07-2005, 09:06 PM
http://fanficauthors.net/ He moved to a better site.

treck

Dark Syaoran
12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I found the cross over with Billy and Mandy amusing.

ip82
12-08-2005, 05:52 PM
I've just read it. Absolutely brilliant! I generally don't like horror and I didn't like the movie(s), but this story was fucking fantastic. Too bad the rest of Ruskbyte's stories are so heavy on angst, he's obviously a great writter.

Dark Syaoran
12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
He has some great stories and then some really annoying ones. Maybe the annoying ones are the ones he forces.

Silent
12-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Even thought I got bored in some of the longer spots, as a whole, it was positively creepy-cool.
This actually inspired me to write a horror one-shot, though not a fanfiction.

DaytonDeusBlack
12-18-2005, 08:14 AM
This is the coolest one shot fic ever! I stopped reading it the first time because there was a lot of canon with a few made up parts fixed in between. That was too boring, but after reading it once more, I have to admit that it is indeed an amazing piece of work!

Lord Dragon
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
good idea

Marquis Le'quack
01-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Quack! The first time I read it, it was at 2am in the morning, the lights were off, I was in my bedroom, and the music which was playing the entire time was La Petite Fille de la Mer (which coincidentally is a melancholic song played from a music box) so naturally I recieved no sleep that night. It still scares me everytime I re-read it but I've been getting better.

Oh well. Hopefully he'll update Flying Without a Broom and From the Abyss soon. They're both good reads. And the Sorting Hat's reaction to Mandy once it finds out her ambition? Priceless. I still chuckle at the memory of a old hat shuffling away from a midget sized girl, who's wearing pink clothes under her robes, as fast as it possibly can. Ah. Good times, good times...

sephiroththebrokenangel
01-16-2006, 11:33 PM
i thought this fic was great and much better than some of the stories from Ruskbyte. all i have to say about the gore is that was awesome when the throatless lady came back with pettigrews head in the hole in her chest

Israfel
02-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Ah god I love this story, I must have reread this 10 times by now and it's stil as good as the first time, the only other thing compareable to it would have to be "Backwards Compatible" which is also amazing. When I first read this I hadn't seen the Hellraiser movies but I knew the basic plot and thus wasn't too lost, but after reading this I went on a bit of spree and got all eight of the Hellraiser movies and watched them...repeatedly. So what else can I say, I love this story.

Piccaboo!
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Another brilliant piece of work by Ruskbyte. Some of the longer parts were a bit borish but besides that a very good work of art.

Potter sends his regards... ahh umbitch and Fudge the idiots... it was priceless

LINKed up
02-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Just wondering, but what is Hellraiser?

PsyckoSama
02-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Just wondering, but what is Hellraiser?

The guy with pins in his head... ring any bells?

Patrik f
04-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I just read it and I have to say that I love it!! It is easily among the best Harry Potter crossover stories I have ever read...

silvananoir
05-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Awesome, I love the Hellraiser series.

Memory King
12-29-2007, 03:34 PM
This story was breathtaking, my favourite one-shot ever! Ruskbyte sure has a way of words. Brilliant writing, cool torture, outstanding work overall! I would give this a 7/5 if I could.

Andro
12-30-2007, 01:09 AM
I thought the coolest, or most interesting, part was Fawkes' phoenix song matching the puzzle box's song. That's artistry.

Unfortunately, it was really just an interesting thing to toss into the story, and Ruskbyte didn't do anything else with it.

Calis Clayr
01-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Usually horror and stuff isn't my cup of tea, but this was a very entertaining read. The only part I don't really understand is Fawkes' song. Why is it the same as the music box?
I mean, one is the 'ultimate' light creature, the other summons demons. Isn't that slightly... contradictory?

By the the way, Ruskbyte is actually alive, he just posted a chapter from a new fic on Fanfic Authors.

Augurey
01-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Usually horror and stuff isn't my cup of tea, but this was a very entertaining read. The only part I don't really understand is Fawkes' song. Why is it the same as the music box?
I mean, one is the 'ultimate' light creature, the other summons demons. Isn't that slightly... contradictory?

By the the way, Ruskbyte is actually alive, he just posted a chapter from a new fic on Fanfic Authors.

I think the box's music acts similar to phoenix song, in that good people either don't notice, or they know the villains are fucked and watch the train wreck, while evil people know their ticket's been punched.

Leslie2003
01-17-2008, 04:06 AM
Hello Everybody!!!!

I have just found this website and this story. I don't prove to be an expert on all things HP. But I know Hellraisers. And what I don't like about stories based on movies or books that became movies, is that they take it almost word for word. And I went online to brush up on the storyline and it was like I was watching Harry Potter in Kristy's position and Voldie was a Snake-ier Uncle Frank without the sex and eating people thing.

Here is a Great Plot line. Hellraisers meet Harry Potter, why put him in the position to control them (or as much control as you can have). Why have Voldie sitting there huffing and puffing when he can be as bad as he wants?

I liked the story and it was a refreshing change from the crap I have been finding, but why in this way? Why not make it another part of the Hellraiser Series? Harry Potter and the Lament Configuration or Harry Potter and Pinhead... or something equally silly

I had to stop reading to go to work but I decided on my way out it would not be a story I would finish no mater how good of a plot. Sorry:confused:

Dark Syaoran
01-17-2008, 06:08 AM
...I didn't even understand half the shit you just said. All I got was, "Me no like story."

Bratling
01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
I read this quite some time ago, and then again last night. It's creepy, scary, and quite a few people get what they deserve. It also requires little to no knowledge about the Hellraiser universe. 5/5

Xiph0
02-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Very Very, Very well done doesnt even come close. This is bloody brilliant! I'm loving this! GO EVIL BOX!

Took me for fucking ever, but quoted for truth.

There's spelling errors, there's massive glaring grammar errors, but it's so awesome it just doesn't matter.

Clearest 5/5 in the entire library.

Banner
02-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I've read this one At Least four times, and I'm always riveted. It just gets better. Terrific story.

5/5

Alec_potter
03-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Great one piece. Specially the visit to Fudge's office...
5/5

JohnThePyro
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Good fic, there were some mistakes I found myself correcting mentally as I went through, but overall 5/5.

Alcibiades
04-13-2008, 03:55 AM
That was so good! I can't believe I never read it before...It's incredible.
There was one part though, that made me really laugh: Peter Pettigrew's death, or rather, the event leading to it.

[/quote]"No... no... not again..." he groaned, clasping his left hand over bleeding stump of his right.[/quote]

Lolz
For those wondering, you have to read it to understand it.

5/5

smoss
04-20-2008, 08:45 AM
This is a cool story, scary but cool
or in other word brilliant, but bloody scar

Akuma-san
06-16-2008, 06:58 PM
plot 6/5
evil harry 5/5
Pinhead and his gang 5/5
grammar 4/5
Umbitch and fudge packer's death 5/5

Perfect 5/5 this deserves a legendary area.

Korisovra
06-16-2008, 11:37 PM
You're necro'ing to tell us THIS bullshit? Pour some gasoline over your head, find a nice person with balls, (because you have none) hand them some matches, and tell them to do their civic duty and to scatter the ashes afterwards.

Banner
06-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks for reminding me about this one. I spent the evening rereading it. Again.
Too bad I can't vote it up any higher. Any story that can be read some five times ought to get a bonus.

Bukay
06-17-2008, 02:40 PM
I spent the evening rereading it. Again.

Same here.
It's a gem and in my opinion the best horror fic in the potterverse... Although it's a pity that I still haven't seen the Hellraiser movies...

5/5

Richard
06-18-2008, 07:51 AM
I saw one of the Hellraisers. Fucking hell, its insane! Omg, it was so horrorific, it was amazing. You'd enjoy it. But I don't remember which "Hellraiser" it was. I think there's about 4 of them.

Bukay
06-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Wikipedia is your friend:) There are 8 parts of the series so far, and another one scheduled for next year.... A lot to catch up...

Poytin
06-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I first read this a while ago. Just reread it again and it is still good. 5/5

Sorrows
06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
This.Is.Epic

The ending had me in stiches, he should add a few oneshots as Harry uses it on other people...

Richard
06-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Well, "Pinhead" didn't think they'd see each other again. So no, I doubt it's going to happen.

Korisovra
06-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Just finished re-reading this again and if anything my rating has gone up. 5/5

FollowTheReaper
06-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Just finished re-reading this again and if anything my rating has gone up. 5/5
Can it go up from a perfect 100%?

Othalan
06-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Quite possibly the very definition of "Epic Win". There was so much awesome packed into this, I very nearly shat myself out of pure joy. It is fics like this that remind me that there really is hope for Humanity.

129/5

Hiasha
07-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Best evil Harry I've ever read, and the plot was well thought out. Beyond that, the ending was great. 5/5

Poytin
07-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Best evil Harry I've ever read, and the plot was well thought out. Beyond that, the ending was great. 5/5

Your definition of evil is skewed...

LuxDragon
07-04-2008, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't call him evil at all. Just vindictive.

Banner
07-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't call him evil at all. Just vindictive.

Harry was ruthless when he chose Snape as sacrifice, to be tortured until the information was retrieved and then murdered. Potter drugged Dumbledore and probably other members of the staff. He gambled with the souls of everyone in the Great Hall, as well as his own. He knowingly arranged for Voldemort and his minions to be damned. He planned for his own torture and the torture of his friends and the staff. He made and opened a Door that he wasn't sure he could close. He fed Umbridge to the Demon, knowing the possibility that she wouldn't be alone when the box was opened.

That's just what I can think of offhand.
The label "evil" fits well enough.

LuxDragon
07-04-2008, 04:14 PM
A great deal many people didn't feel bad about Snape dead. That means a great deal many people could be considered evil then.

Lives are risked and gambled all the time. That's the brutal nature of war.

Damn Voldemort to Hell or killing him and he'll be sentenced to go to hell, is pretty much the same thing. Hardly the nature of evil.

He planned his own torture makes him evil? What? It's called guile. A sacrifce to make Voldemort thinks he's won.

And Umbridge... okay. He's just a little evil. He's a wizard, not a saint.

What mattered most is that he felt bad about most of what happened. Feelings like that prove that he wasn't evil. He was just damn near obsessed with that music box too. Kinda like the imperious.

EvilSkittles
07-05-2008, 06:20 AM
A great deal many people didn't feel bad about Snape dead. That means a great deal many people could be considered evil then.

Lives are risked and gambled all the time. That's the brutal nature of war.

Damn Voldemort to Hell or killing him and he'll be sentenced to go to hell, is pretty much the same thing. Hardly the nature of evil.

He planned his own torture makes him evil? What? It's called guile. A sacrifce to make Voldemort thinks he's won.

And Umbridge... okay. He's just a little evil. He's a wizard, not a saint.

What mattered most is that he felt bad about most of what happened. Feelings like that prove that he wasn't evil. He was just damn near obsessed with that music box too. Kinda like the imperious.

Slytherin? Perhaps," the Hat admitted. "But the darkness is buried deep inside you, underneath so much else. Plenty of courage, I can see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh yes, talent... So where should I put you?"

Harry is evil, it just takes a lot to bring it out.

Still loved it though.

LuxDragon
07-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Meh, considering the fact that the only ones who died are people we don't care about and Sirius is alive again, he's a "good" evil.

nonjon
07-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Bah. Harry's not evil in this. "Evil" when describing a person speaks of their motivations. Actions can be "evil" based on their results or methods and some of Harry's actions certainly teeter on the brink but his intentions never approach that line. The bigger point of the fic (and title) is using "evil" towards "good" ends. Unleashing a monster in the name of the righteous.

I can't count the number of times I've re-read this fic and loved it every time.

yak
07-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I can't count the number of times I've re-read this fic and loved it every time.
Three times.

Janus
07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Mmmmm, damn good fic. 5/5 for sure.

I must say, I appreciate his use of the original Pinhead personality and not the later demons-conquering-the-world shit.

Illution
07-07-2008, 02:23 AM
I read this story when it first came out. That was a pain. Very nice to find it again.

headbanger22
08-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Ruskbyte has done a follow up toEvil Be Thou My Good called All Problems Solved here is the link -http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/All_Problems_Solved/All_Problems_Solved.php

Bucks
08-24-2008, 08:28 AM
That wins. Draco centric for the most part, but that is partly the fun of it.

I prefer the Evil be thou my good though.

peregrine1989
09-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Loved both. Have reread Evil Be Thou my Good Four times and enjoyed it every time. Haven't read it in the last week but read the new one today and enjoyed that but don't think I will re read it again.

Evil Be Thou My Good: 5/5

All Problems Solved: 4.9/5

I must say All Problems solved would normally rate a 5/5 but I refuse to say that it is equal in greatness to Evil Be Thou My Good.

Oh and I calm partial credit it for it because I begged him for a sequel.
*Conscious come over and forces me to read :office*

Ok Ok I wont claim any credit.

To all those Who haven't read Evil Be Thou My Good, what on earth are you waiting for!!!

Sora
09-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Dear god. It definitely brings back memories....

pinhead you motherfucker.... god damn chains.. argh

Innomine
09-03-2008, 02:11 AM
What is this office I keep hearing about?

meatzman2
01-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Well looks like I'm going to be sleeping with the lights on tonight and a knife in my hand....

Hashasheen
01-20-2009, 03:21 PM
What is this office I keep hearing about?
The Office? Its a mixture of perversion, Giovanni and ChuckDaTruck in literary form. Not for the squeamish or the faint hearted.

famine224
06-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Well, this was the very first Harry Potter FF that I ever read (not long after it was published, in fact). Since then, I have read it exactly twenty-three and a half times, and it still remains up there at the top of my list. Very well written, and despite the canon overload, the small tweaks keep it interesting.
5/5

bloodyseraphim
07-11-2009, 12:31 AM
this is most definitely the best dark story ever. it's not even so much a dark!harry story though. the whole deal with the box and the cenobites...

BEST DAMN STORY!

5/5

Andro
07-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Great story, except it's not a one-shot, it's nearly longer than Amerision's Equal and Opposite.

I wish more had been done with Fawkes's song being identical to the box's tune when it is opened. It's just an eerie connection that doesn't go anywhere. 4/5.

Jormungandr
09-14-2010, 07:14 AM
I loved this, although I do not think that the sequel lives up to the original.

Pinhead's parting line...damn, that made me smile.

5/5 from me.

iLost
09-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I've heard the endless praises sung about this fic, though dubious of the author. I went and checked it out.

DLP, I am disappoint. Seriously.

It takes fucking forever to even get to teh epycs, in which I am reading a mediocre style of writing recapping shit that I knew save a few things changed. Bleh! The dialogue could have been a hell of lot better; in same cases just dragging. The HP characters were pretty ooc. The only ones who even seemed normal were Harry and Dumbledore. I doubt Hermione or even Ron would condone that punishment on Umbridge. Harry in this? Yes he would.

Most of it just seemed like a crack:story with serious overtones tossed in. Which, as I am learning, seems to be ruskbyte's style of writing. That would forgive the ooc, but the serious tones ruin that.

Also, way too goddamn much explanations in the dialogue. Harry telling everyone could have been a lot more concise.

Honestly, it's just really frustrating to go into this with such high hopes only to have them dashed, and, I'll be honest, that's what happened.

However, there were some positives. Harry's relation with the Box was good. His fear, his obsession, all points of quality writing. Why couldn't the rest be so good? The torture scenes, teh epycs, were fucking fantastic. Such original thought put into them. And Harry trading all their souls? Nice. I smiled quite a bit, and the end with Fudge and Umbridge? Yeah, I smiled, big. Though, there was a missed opportunity with Voldemort's horcruxes I think. It would have been interesting to work that into the story somehow, including the one in Harry, and considering the author's obviously talented imagination, he could have worked it in.

So the torture scene was awesome, everything I had hoped and I can see it letting everyone else give it a 5/5. But not me. I judge the story on all it's merits, not just a third of it being great. I really want to give the story a 3/5, but that is due to my own letdown, so I'll push that aside and be objective.

tl,dr:For fanfition, its a great idea but executed mediocre with ooc elements and too wordy in some areas. There is a big heaping of WIN in the middle, though. So I'll give it a 4/5. It does deserve to be in the library, but it's not 'all that and a bag of chips.' Just 'all that.'

EDIT: It was published a few weeks prior to HBP. The lack of Horcruxes did not affect my rating, though.

xzkto
09-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Man, just look at the publish date, it was written before the 6th book, I think (so no horcruxes or whatever). It was really awesome then. The dialogues suck, I agree, but that evil guys and Harry are done great. Still great for me.

aaltwal
09-21-2010, 10:07 AM
I still like it. It's a very unique one shot, but I guess our we just have different tastes, 789.

Clearly a 5/5, Ruskbyte captured the Hellraiser atmosphere so well that even Jeconais decided to borrow his idea and integrate it to his own HP/Addams crossover.

Photon
09-15-2013, 03:54 PM
It was awesome and clear 5/5, but after reading sequel and so many "this is so better" I am a bit disappointed - the Umbridge scene had serious OOC from Harry's friends, some grammar problems that even I noticed and Biblical repeat (A, B, C and D happened; Harry telling that A, B, C and D happened).

But it is still great, though I am not sure how much of it was directly copied from Hellraiser.