1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Glee

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by kmfrank, Sep 20, 2009.

1. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, when I first heard about this, my first thoughts were "Hard gay, anyone?" and "Great, FOX found a way to make me hate television more - they made High School Musical into a TV Show."

That said, my friends told me I had to watch an episode, and I was somewhat impressed. Decent music selection (Journey, Bell Biv DeVoe, Color Me Badd - a lot of the '90's pop you secretly liked :p), a couple of cute female lead actresses (all over 18, I checked :awesome - I would do bad things to Lea Michele, btw), and some tongue-in-cheek comedy makes this show a decent watch, for me.

All three episodes currently out are also free on hulu, so that's a plus. http://www.hulu.com/glee

If you're a fan of music in general, participated in music in high school, or like it when teh sexy womenz sing, tune in to the episodes and you might be surprised to find that you like it. If not, you can bask in the knowledge that since FOX is putting it on, it'll only last a single season.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

2. rocket_runner

rocket_runner Seventh Year

I saw the first preview at the beginning of the summer and I loved it! (I immediately put Glee's version of Don't Stop Believing on my iPod. :D) I'm quite disappointed to find out I've missed three episodes; I didn't even know it had started! :awesome

I'm definitely going to check out the hulu link; thanks for posting it. I'll be back later, lol.

3. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

After reading what Frank wrote about it, I decided to watch it too (if only for Lea Michele - hot damn she's got a sexy voice). I was surprised I didn't want to vomit everywhere. It wasn't something I would go around telling random people to watch, but I will attempt to watch the rest of the season.

4. rocket_runner

"Your resentment is delicious." Oh my god, I absolutely love the cheerleading coach. She's absolutely amazing; you've got to put in some serious effort to be that much of a bitch. There's a teacher at my high school just like her - controlling, short haired and the cheerleading coach. It's like a sign. The photo copier scene was pure brilliance. :D

"He is an angel sent from heaven..." Great lines.

5. J22

J22 Seventh Year

I liked it until half way through the 3rd episode when I realised it was a musical. I hate it when people randomly break out into song.

6. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Is that a problem for you in your life? Random bouts of spontaneous musical scenes and choreography?

I can see after the 2nd or 3rd ballad getting a bit bored...

I did watch the pilot quite a while back. And by a while I think april... it was out way early. It was ok. There was some funny and Coach is awesome but I found myself getting a little annoyed with this genre.

Maybe I'm just outgrowing the highschool drama genre itself. If you try and get me to watch gossip girl I will shank you.

7. Invader.Azula

Invader.Azula Seventh Year

I love this show! I think it's quirky and cute. And it's a hell of a lot better than Gossip Girl or 90210 or whatever teen drama crap they have going on right now. But it's more of a guilty pleasure for me because most people associate me with either "Die Hard" or pretty much anything involving Sci-Fi or Fantasy so I have to watch this on the down low. :)

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I had heard of this but had been steering clear, I don't normally like high school dramas even U.K ones, but watched the first episode and am pleasantly surprised.
    I'm not going to be on the edge of my seat waiting for the next episode but I think I will follow it, thing that grates me is the black girl, she is such a overblown stereotype.

9. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

It's a surprisingly good show. I had no interest in it until several people whose opinions I value told me to give it a try. I've never seen High School Musical and am only vaguely familiar with it, but I don't think Glee is much like it at all, other than being a musical set in high school.

Some of the characters are little more than caricatures at this point, but some are showing surprising depth. It's actually got some very biting humor and social satire. (I loved the takedown of the "Abstinence Club," which I saw as the writers giving a great big middle finger to those viewers who were expecting High School Musical.) And the musical numbers are (a) infrequent, and (b) pretty good.

That said, I'll be very surprised if it makes it to a second season.

10. rocket_runner

Agreed. Yes, it's semi-popular now, but what are you going to put in the second season? I assume the first season is going to conclude with them going to nationals and (probably) winning. Unless they are going to drag it on and on - aka pull a High School Musical - then I think Glee will be done after one season. That being said, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

11. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Semi-necro, but is anybody else still watching this?

I've watched the whole run so far, and (excepting a couple of minor hiccups) it's consistently entertaining--actually, this is probably the only show I look forward to watching on a weekly basis, and after the preview last week I think I'm looking forward to "Dream On" with NPH tomorrow more than any hour of television I can recall this year.

It's really good (no homo).

12. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I thought that only teen girls watched this show...

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I started watching about midway through the season when I heard that it didn't completely suck. It's amusing, but there are some parts where it becomes obvious that they are catering to a younger, female audience.

Also, commenting on earlier posts. It was renewed for a second season pretty early in January. Anyone who watched Friday Night Lights knows that just because you win it all in the first season that there is still plenty of waiting drama to happen.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  14. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    But hey, he called no homo.

Actually, I've watched most of the episodes, but I'm a theatre major (but no homo). What's your excuse?

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's been on GO! In Australia. I've seen an episode, was interesting enough, if I see it on I'm not actively looking for other things to watch.

16. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Err, it's on channel Ten you idiot Jon. And it's gay as aids cliche's all over the place.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

..So it is. >_>;.

18. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I... um... have to watch it with the girlfriend. NPH may save the day next episode.

This sums up the show fairly well: Glee in 60 Seconds

19. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Watched episode 21 last night. All I have to say can be summed up thus:

WTF @
    the Will Schuester and Sue Sylvester scene?

That is all.

20. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I have to say, I did laugh my ass off. Actually, the last two episodes have been decent, a friend of mine who's not at all in to music or theatre or showchoir watched the most recent episode with me and absolutely loved it. It's got a bizarre range when it comes to fans of the show.