1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Browncoat, Green Eyes by nonjon - Firefly - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by nonjon, Mar 23, 2006.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Title: Browncoat, Green Eyes
    Author: nonjon
    Rating: M
    Category: General/Action/Adventure
    Crossover: Firefly/Serenity
    Chapters: 39
    Words: 298,538
    Updated: November 12, 2006
    Published: March 23, 2006

Summary: COMPLETE. [Firefly-Harry Potter crossover] Post-Serenity. Two years have passed since the secret of the planet Miranda got broadcast across the whole ‘verse in 2518. The crew of Serenity finally hires a new pilot, but he’s a bit peculiar.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2857962/1/

Alright... I've decided I'd rather get more feedback than hold these hostage as I attempt to write more so I've posted the Prologue just now. Chapter 1 will go up this weekend.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to ask questions (as I'm well aware Firefly isn't as well known as Harry Potter).

Checked by Minion, January 7, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  2. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Nonjon, I don't think I can tell you enough how much you rock. Nothing like what I was expecting but Awesome. I liked your portrayal of the alliance and their universe. I can't wait for the next chapter and to see where this story goes.
    Firefly makes me happy...
    [​IMG]

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I liked the story, even though I don't understand what's going on half of the time. But since I watched the first episode, at least I have some idea what's this all about.

Firefly question - what happened to their previous pilot and that black preacher guy from the first episode?

4. That_Boy

Both Wash(pilot) and Book(preacher guy) were killed in the movie serenity, which is based after season 1 of firefly. The film should give you a more general summary of the universe than a single episode of the series, so if you want to get up to speed quickly watch serenity. The series is great though if you have the time.

5. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Very very interesting. Would love to see more. Mixing Hp with firefly should be very fun since firefly is practically a mix between Star Trek and the old West.

On a side note, I thought the alliance crusiers were gay as hell. They are freaken floating cities with towers even while most of the planets are stuck back in the 1800s...

6. nonjon

Yeah IP82.
    Firefly TV show = slower, lots of character development, humorous, slight drama.
    Serenity movie = action packed sci-fi flick. Less character development.

Both covered probably about the same amount of information. It's just Firefly is 15 x 44 minutes long (14 episodes, 1 is a 2 parter). And Serenity is just 2 hours. In the movie, Book lived peacefully on a different moon/planet (before it got razed to the ground). Though we're not entirely clear on when he left as he was always on the show. Also, Wash, Zoe's husband, eats a big metal spike through the chest in the movie. The movie sort of ended with River and Mal in the cockpit piloting Serenity. In my fic, River's a bit kooky in the head more, and they decide they need a new pilot. Enter Harry.

As for Mrriddler's mention, there is a vast difference between the inner core planets, and the outer border ones. Out on the edges it's much more lawless and wild west early american frontier like. In the core/central/inner planets they are much more 'proper,' technologically advanced, policed, with pulse weapons or laser guns etc... On the edges its mainly all good old fashioned bullets and guns.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I remember watching this show back in the day... It was fun to watch :)

Props to Nonjon for making a fanfic based on it with an HP cross.

I will give a better (read: real) review over the weekend after I get some much needed sleep.

8. Roguelyvisage

Roguelyvisage First Year

Like the first chapter

Are you planning to intergrate him into the crew of the Serenity or have him be a completely different faction in the War?

9. nonjon

War's long over. Alliance won.

And yes, as you'll see next chapter, or rather in Chapter One, we jump two years past the events of the Prologue, and discover River's gotten a l'il sketchier and the crew of Serenity needs a new pilot.

And of course we all know who's a natural at flying. :]

Only the Prologue sort of sets it all up and shows the Alliance. From here on out we're just following the crew of the Serenity, which will include a green-eyed pilot named Harry.

10. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

Just read the prologue, and I have to say that I love it already. I can't wait for the next chapter to come out. Just one question, you said that Harry was married, and I was just wondering; was it Luna? You don't have to answer it if it's part of the plot, I was just curious.

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Heh, completely misread that part, thanks for the reply.

As I said, very original story, with much humor, as I'm used to reading from you. Will Harry run into the Alliance more, or will it be similar to Farscape, where the main characters almost always just barely evade the followers?

(I never watched FF/S, but I could still make heads/tails of the story, so good job)

12. nonjon

I suppose it might be considered a minor spoiler, but yeah, his wife was Luna. I may have mentioned it in other threads, and it's been stated on my yahoogroup, so not exactly a state secret. In the fic, I think it may not come up until a midnight conversation with Zoe.

Harry may cross paths with the Alliance, as well, it is the only government. But he certainly won't be supporting them much. And it's not like they know he exists, but on occasion he may need to break into Alliance facilities to help his "man" on the inside.

The big bad government is one of the antagonists, so it will play a role, just not a huge one. And certainly not as focal of one as the Prologue may have misled you to believe. It's the crew and the ship from here on out.

13. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

I liked the Movie Serenity.Firefly,never saw it so I might get lost.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Finally posted here, eh? :D

Well, I've already told you this story is great. I cant say much more than that... I do like the small Harry/River hints... or whatever. She is kinda like Luna in a way... so yeah. :p

Keep it up Nonnie.

15. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

Yeah, there have been a few 'subtle' hints of a possible Harry/River pairing; but, knowing who nonjon is, that could be just a massive red-herring, with it ending up as a Harry/Inara/Zoe/Kaylee orgy. :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I love where the story is headed, and the writing style is most definitely superb. So much so, that I've re-watched Serenity just so I can mentally re-produce the voices right. I'm not the only one who does that, right? *looks around nervously*

Anyway, great story, looking forward to the next update.

16. nonjon

The next few chapters become a bit less subtle, though Harry may have something of a foot fetish before I'm done. Not going to really have all that much romance, but I'm sticking with pretty much canon relationships or hints towards. (For those unfamiliar that's Simon/Kaylee and arguably Mal/Inara.) I'm not entirely sure Jayne is capable of loving a female. You know, and respecting her too. One of the ideas I may be hitting on later does require some Harry/River ... entanglement though. So we'll see if we get to that or what.

And yes, I always hear the dialogue in the character's voices. For Harry Potter, I always hear Dumbledore and Hermione in their movie voices. The sort where Hermione is always petulantly whining, with the occasional slutty grin, and Dumbledore is always imparting sage and confusing advice, with the occasional ever so slight chuckle. Hagrid on the other hand, sometimes sounds like Scotty from Star Trek in my mind. Can't really explain that one. Firefly's the same way for me. I hear the actors even more so for that one, because they had voices established before I ever read any fic or scripts.

I've been completely impressed by the response to the Prologue. I mean I can't find but a couple Firefly fics with even 200 reviews and they had like 20 or 49 chapters. I've had the prologue up a day and have 44. Makes me think the field needs some more fics. (That's a call to arms, ladies. Get writing.)

17. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Just popped in and saw this going to read it now and see how it is. Though I know I'll get confused, seeing as I've never seen serenity and only saw one episode of firefly and it wasn't the first episode...

Just read first chapter and I think I'll keep an eye on this one for a while. I like. Nice nonjon.

18. core8ball

core8ball Squib

Book & Enara

To find out what happened after the series but before the movie you have to read the comic books called oddly enough Serenity. It details what happens to Book & Enara plus some back story on other characters, ie the twins from the movie.

19. nonjon

Went to Borders and Barnes and Nobles last night. Neither had that little ten dollar graphic novel. Going to try the comic book shop tonight and if nothing else, order it online.

Thanks for the heads up. I remembered hearing about the "those left behind" comic a few times but didn't realize it actually bridged the main parts of history like that. Maybe they'll answer some of my other questions like how there's normal day and night, on all these planets at different distances and intervals from... the star or sun this solar system has.

A cd of music, a comic book, a tv show, and a movie. Considering the variety of medium it's used there really isn't that much history in this fandom.

Oh well. Just posted Chapter Two if anyone's interested.

20. That_Boy

Awesome.. Harry with a tea obsession, I like it. Good job. This is the one story I am looking forward to more than any other now. [​IMG]