1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Bakemonogatari

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Redeye, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Bakemonogatari
    [​IMG]

Genre: Action, Comedy, Mystery, Psychological, Romance, Slice of Life and Supernatural.

Plot Summary: Although there are still traces of the brief period he became a vampire, third year high school student Koyomi Araragi is human again. He happens upon others with their own supernatural problems and finds that he can empathize. Koyomi becomes involved in their lives, seeking to help them and occasionally asking for advice from Meme Oshino, the homeless man who helped him become human again.

Trailer

I just spent about 4 hours watching this anime today out of lack of better things to do and all I have to say is, completely took me by surprise. Initially I was wary because it mentioned vampires in the plot summary, so naturally I thought it would be jumping on the whole "vampires omg cool" bandwagon. Not the case. The fact that the main character was once a vampire hardly comes up at all, and when it does it isn't unbearable.

The animation is beautiful imo. It is a very graphically pleasing show, with my only pet peeve being the little piece of hair that is always sticking up on Araragi's head. Other than that everything is win.

Dialogue is great, which is strange for me to say as far as anime goes. I find myself constantly pausing whenever little snippets come up during conversations just so I can read the explanation of certain kanji used and things of that nature. The series does primarily focus on conversations between characters, which I love personally. Not to mention there are a number of parodies of other series that are hilarious (Senjougahara's save the earth from the Saiyans line was lulzy) The actual dialogue makes me wonder how good of a job the translations are though. I feel like the things said could be interpreted many different ways.

Characters, love em. If you like tsundere-esque girls this is for you, Senjougahara is pure win. Every character tends to have an association with some sort of spiritual "oddity" as it is called in the show. Each "oddity" is usually related to some sort of animal (except in Araragi's case, vampire) and each character has an item of some sort to symbolize their animal. Examples, Senjougahara's school supplies she uses like the claw of a crab. Mayoi's back pack symbolizes the shell of a snail.

My only real complaint is I can't find the novels this series is based off translated online. I'd love to read them.

tl;dr I'm a fan of this show. It is visually amazing and the characters are win in my book. I'm posting this to see if there are any other fans. Where my anime fans at?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretentious show.

Nah, it's pretty good. The 13th episode came out the other day and I need to get around to watching it.

I think Senjougahara is more kuudere than tsundere, though.

3. Redeye

yeah I can see that, I think it's more of a cross of the two. Regardless I like her character. Matter fact I like most of the characters

4. Seitou

Seitou Third Year

Eh, I tried watching it but aside from a cool part or two in the first two episodes I got bored really fast. That habit of batshit insane animation popping up annoyed the crap outta me too.

5. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Yo! Just saw this thread. Baka-tsuki has a translation thread up for Kizumonogatari, which is the Bakemonogatari prequel novel (Covering how Koyomi got vamped, then returned), they've only got 2 chapters up and seem to be pretty slow.. but better then nothing right?

Also on the animesuki bakemonogatari light novel discussion thread, someones posted a translation of chapter 3, and there seem's to be two guys who are competing at posting the most interesting snippets and scenes from kizu, bake and nisemonogatari (Sequel).

The infamous wincest molestation scene is up there too, karen.. that dirty whore :awesome

The novels are kinda weird like chapter one is a huge description of Hanekawas panties (the slow mo opening scene for episode 1), and chapter 3 is just as bad. Literally the whole of chapter 1 is a recount of how glorious her panties are.

EDIT: Because it is my duty as a man to do so, here is the infamous toothbrush molestation scene
    DOUBLE EDIT: I should note the below translation was done by Omimon over on the animesukiforums in the light novel discussion thread which can be found here

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  6. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Thanks for the find, best thing that happened to me all day.

7. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Hohohoho! I forgot to link how it started Which is here

Basically the scenario is, his younger sister wants to meet one of his friends who's about the same age as his younger sister, who's like the schools popular athlete chic or whatever (and also secret S&M freak). He proposes a competition in which if she wins, he'll introduce her.

Of course he makes the mistake of getting the idea for the competition from said S&M chic, which turns out to be brushing teeth? Which apparently is some kind of sexual fetish control game type thing.

Some gems:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  8. Redeye

LAWL yeah I've been on Baka-tsuki and those threads and read pretty much anything I could find a while ago. There is some crazy shit in the series that isn't in the anime. Like super crazy... All the more reason I need to seriously work on my Japanese. Thanks for posting links and excerpts anyways though!