1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Snakecharmer by belleradh - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Sesc, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Title: Snakecharmer
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Romance
    DLP Category: Independent
    Pairing: Harry/Daphne
    Chapters: 8
    Words: 59,434
    Updated: January 28, 2010
    Published: November 26, 2009

Summary: During the summer after the Tri-Wizard, Harry is faced with the reality he has more on his shoulders than just the title Boy-Who-Lived. An unlikely alliance promises him help in understanding his role, but the cost is not common coin. Post 4th, mild AU

New story from belleradh. Promised her I'd make a thread to talk about the story, so here it is. For those who haven't read it yet: It's an Indy!Harry, but more importantly (for me) the answer to the question, what would happen if someone who actually can write wrote Daphne and omitted the words "Ice Queen" and "Slytherin Princess" in the process. Not that her portrayal is radically new in this story, but finally, it might be possible to see its full potential play out, as opposed to all the other fics on ff.net that tried before and failed.

And that is how a Harry/Daphne story should start. The best thing is that it doesn't fall apart the next chapter; she remains somewhat arrogant, continues to have an attitude, delivers a few nice kicks into lazy!Canon!Harry's ass to get the selfsame into gear, and is basically all I ever wanted her to be. My personal highlight was the Hermione-rant. Take a hug for that through the screen, belleradh. So very awesome.

Putting aside my Squee about Daphne, it has a few other interesting ideas, such as the expansion of Occlumency, and some new spins on how the Pureblood world works. It's Indy, but there's also a political plot on the horizon, which would make me wary, except it's her, so I actually have hopes -- I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a story. Plus, there's her update rates.

All that said, there are a few things that bug me, namely how Harry behaves, first at the Dursley's and later after their little trip to London, it's a little too much in the direction "he's in love with her, only doesn't know it yet" for my tastes. Was I the only one getting that impression?

Harry standing in front of the mirror telling himself to stop thinking about her seemed like foreshadowing done with a sledge hammer, not something I would've expected. Especially not as she said to want to keep the romance aspect light and take it slow, which is certainly needed here. Then again, she might surprise yet with a twist, at least from what I gathered from her answer.

All in all, a strong 4/5 for the start.

Checked by Minion, June 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  2. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Snakecharmer by Belleradh

Title: Snakecharmer
    Author: Belleradh
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Romance
    DLP Category: Romance/Independent
    Pairing: Harry P. & Daphne G
    Status: Work in Progress (4 chapters, 25,000 words 29/11/09)

Summary: During the summer after the Tri-Wizard, Harry is faced with the reality he has more on his shoulders than just the title Boy-Who-Lived. An unlikely alliance promises him help in understanding his role, but the cost is not common coin. Post 4th, mild AU

From Author:

Link:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5537139/1/Snakecharmer

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  3. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

aww, beat me by 1min :) 4/5 for me also.

4. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

5. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    WAHRBARGURBL RAGE. My glorious post, and then I backspaced.

In short, 4/5. If you don't like indy!Harry (if you disliked White Knight, Grey Queen on principle) then you shouldn't read this. If you get past that, I think this has the potential to be what indy!Harry should be, with a realistic transformation from canon!Harry.

6. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I can't be bothered repeating what I wrote in the Almost Recommended Thread.

Not rating now, but if I did it'd be a 3.5 (rounded to 4 because of the good Daphne characterisation - so far. It did take a few back steps in chapter four).

7. belleradh

belleradh Murder Princess DLP Supporter

I promise to write more when I'm not bleeding out of my eyes and coughing up things best left unsaid. Yay holiday sicknesses.

My biggest issue with writing this is precisely what Sesc worried on. I don't want to let them get cozy with one another too quickly, but it's damn hard to keep them antagonistic all the time. At what point is it pointless angst? One thing I pointed out in Ch.5's initial notes though, bears mentioning.

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style>
    Of course, this means unless I post in massive blobs, I leave too many things unanswered, hanging, or unresolved (Like the Ch.4 debacle, which really wasn't supposed to come off that strong). Or that it feels like I'm copping out when I resolve a hanging issue later on.

Chapters 5 and 6 are moderately done. Going back over them for revisions... hell I don't know. Eighteen? I nitpick in an apocalyptic fashion.

8. Torak

Torak Death Eater

*Gasp* you live

Your recent story isn't bad for most part but I can't help but feel you should drop this like a prom night dumpster baby and write Grim part 2. 3/5 for what it is worth just a tad confusing at times.

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Torak LIES.

The bane of fanfiction - letting readers spend days and weeks in discussion between scenes/chapters, leading to a sense of EPIC CONFLICT where there would be none in a complete book, leading to dreaded anticlimax.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it - it's going to happen regardless, unless you update the entire story in one shot. Go with what you feel is best, but don't worry too much about where it ends between updates.

As for the other point, it's not really angst. Slow progression is fine, so long as it doesn't stagnate, or even worse - suddenly slide backwards due to a deus-ex-misunderstanding.

The strongest character trait you've given Daphne is that she seems to genuinely be a bit of a pampered bitch at heart. It's not a mask, or some convoluted cover within Slytherin - it's genuinely part of who she is. While no doubt future interactions will alter that to a point (and of course, she's not only that) the fact that she's not always going to see eye-to-eye is incredibly refreshing. Some of the best moments were Harry being unable to take anymore of her attitude and so lobs a curse at her, or trying to irritate her during studies.

That's why I think chapter 4 is being scrutinized so closely - there's the first sign of potentially losing what gives this Daphne so much potential. You've got to balance the clash of personalities with the relationship.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

At least yet, I hardly think it qualifies as angst. It's all about the relative positioning of the characters. Angst is usually the result of an (intentional) unbalance there -- for example, it would be if Daphne behaved as she did, yet Harry pined over her and got rejected when he tried to make a move.

But since the lingering dislike atm is quite mutual, there's nothing I can see that could turn it into angst. She snipes and mocks him, he fires back. Other times, they are civil, when bigger issues put them into the same boat (learning Occlumency, that trip to London). You can drive that as far as you want, the only thing it might do is get old.

In my eyes, if you make the progression at least halfway synchronous on either part, you almost can't possibly run into angst. For that matter, Harry here doesn't strike me as the type to waste time angsting over much. And if you fear making Daphne too "nice" or "soft", when eventually they get closer, the only advice I can come up with is to show her unchanged personality in creating situations with her and other people.

The easy one's Hermione. If she doesn't change, Daphne doesn't strike me at all as the type to tolerate (or even speak more considerately about) her for the sake of Harry, regardless of what he is to her. Dunno how that fits into your plans, of course.

Edit:
    Also, this.

Really, the one thing I'd hate to see go is her attitude. As vlad said, it seems her most defining trait so far, and you simply have to preserve that. Somehow. Please? You can tone it down, show it in regards to other people, but don't make it go away altogether. It's what sets your Daphne apart from all the others, who really only just were the nice girl next door, once Harry really got to know her (meaning, after the first half chapter).

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter ā­

Oh, hey its you again. You're the one with the Fae story, I'll give this a go I suppose. Edit later with a rating.

12. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Just read your response there.

I agree with the bit about the wand. The point about Hermione isn't a matter of opinion- it's clearly stated in the books, more than one time, that he 'would have failed his classes were it not for Hermione'.

13. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I didn't get past chapter 1, too many things rubbed me the wrong way. This is getting good reviews, so I suspect most things that bother me get worked out later. I like Harry/Daphne, so I'll go back and read the rest eventually, but I still want to point out a few things.

If you have the "We don't mean any harm" loophole, why do you need to make the "wards" even more pathetic?

It's almost as if canon is being ridiculed in general. Harry wasn't a great wizard at the end of GoF, but he had become a capable one. Here he just falls on his ass and gets disarmed by a Sonorus Charm. Nevermind that it's just after Voldemort's rebirth and he should have been cursing anything that moved. The internal voice makes Harry seem a bit more independent than in canon, but his actions are stupid.

Seems to be the contrary to me; I've gotten used to indy fics to the point were I can hardly stand canon Harry, and canon Harry would have done better imo. I actually think that you could replace Harry with a less stubborn Ron in the first 3/4 of the chapter and get identical results.

The writing is good, I'll rate once I read a few more chapters.

14. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Much in agreement with oephyx. I do like Harry/Daphne as well, so I'm not going to disregard this fic. I want to like it but as said by oephyx, things just rubbed me the wrong way.

I know he's not Actionmanspy!Harry, but seriously, he hears someone outside his door and then backs away from it frightened out of his mind. I think it would have been much better for Harry to do something like stand in Daphne's blindspot, she enters and he grabs her. Holds her as a hostage or something.

It'd make Harry more badass, which is always cool, add a bit more extra tension to the whole situation: Daphne's father can't use a spell because Daphne is being used as a meat shield. He has to talk down Harry, which could have skipped a bit of the explanation, which seemed a bit formulaic. And builds a bit of animosity between Harry & Daphne, apart from what you have going currently, which I think would have made the interaction a bit more interesting.

Though you didn't go in that direction, and thats fine. You're probably 10 times the author I could ever be, but the story seems a bit slow. The scene where there could have been the action (the abduction) was a bit lame. Though the story is a 'political!Harry', I do hope you don't confine it to such a thing.

15. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I really like it and hold high hopes for it. Only thing that made me cringe was Harry's behaviour in first chapter. There's no way in hell that canon Harry (or any Harry I'd like to read) would just go peacefully with his kidnappers.

16. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Yet he doesn't mind living locked in the smallest bedroom of number 4, Privet Drive all summer, being fed like a dog and whatever?

Don't forget he's 14 at the time, and I seriously doubt he'd think about trying to resist his kidnappers. At least, in the Triwizard Tournament, he was mostly in the "right" frame of mind. Here, he didn't even expect to have somewhat "nice" kidnappers. Plus, he's forbidden to use magic during summer.

Anyway, it was 5 great chapters and I'm looking forward for the next ones. So far, I'd give a solid 4/5.

17. belleradh

My response to the "he wouldn't go quietly" crowd is essentially summed up by Inky.

You have a 14 year old who's had to deal with (at least) emotionally abusive people all his life. He's just seen Voldemort reborn, and is in the usual "Blah I'm back here again" rut.

Suddenly, wizards show up in his house. Equate this to something mundane: A bunch of riot police are stalking around your house at 3 am. They have assault rifles, you have at best, an old revolver. Do you slam open the door, and hope that you can get them all before they mow you down like a dog in the street? Or do you wait and see, and try to figure out an angle, and how to make it work for you? Those rifle-toting cops may just be there to protect you, from something you haven't seen yet.

Harry's not a superwizard here. He's not faced down Death Eaters in the Ministry, or had a year of Dumbledore ignoring him, or Snape instilling a healthy distrust of everything human in him. This is cusp Harry. The seeds of badassery if you will.

Bottom line is, he's still a kid, and frankly, the boy isn't the sharpest tack in the box on his best days. Fanon Harry this isn't.

18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Really? When, ever, has Harry bowed to superior force just because it was superior force? Was it when he stopped taunting Umbridge after McGonagall asked him to? Or was it when didn't try to attack Black in his thir year? Maybe it was when he decided to play nice with Quirrel-Voldemort and accept his offer? Oh, wait, it was definitely the time when he ran away from the basilisk!

That's the core of the problem. You're asking "do you?" question instead of "does Harry?".

One thing. I'm not saying he has to win. Hell, that would be really improbable. But that doesn't mean he's going down without a fight.

19. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Read the beginning of OofP again. He's always on his guard, wand in hand every time something strange happens. And he gets through bigger surprises than those in your fic, without dropping his wand. He's just lived the last two years of his life around impostors, being hunted and kidnapped, living with the threat of the tournament. He may be emotionally spent, but he's not rusty or unwary.

I think you tried a bit too hard to go against fanon characterisation, and made him even worse than in canon. Canon Harry =/= Ron.

Yes, clearly that's the same thing. He knows he has to put up with the Dursleys, so he does, but he also uses leverage to improve some things. He was never defeatist in the face of danger (and I don't want to hear about DH).

And stop saying he's 14. This is essentially a 5th year fic, he's 15 for all intents and purposes.

Edit: Belleradh, imagine if they had come to kill him. Your story would be 1500 words long. The only reason Harry being a wimp seems fine to you is because you want to stress his transformation into indy Harry.

20. belleradh

KrzQ, stop being pointlessly argumentative. If you want Harry to be a MiniMoody and face everything wand-first with a curse on his lips, write it. This isn't that fic, obviously. I'm taking liberties on the part of building a plot - which is the basis of Fanfiction. If that displeases you so much, there are seven books of Canon for you.

I tried to write a "Harry Resists" opener to this, in the initial. I couldn't reconcile it to the rest of the plot at all. The best I could do is waste about five chapters in a kind of limbo-Stockholme syndrome fugue. Not terribly interesting.

Yes I'm being argumentative. Stop kick the dead horse. You said your peace, I offered my counter. The story is written, and isn't changing.

Last post before I finish up 5&6. I'm irritated that I let myself get pulled into arguments about this. I'm not here to convince or defend anything, and frankly find it stupid to do so. Either enjoy it or don't, neither really matter to me. Looking at forums with a fever of 39C is obviously addling my faculties.