1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rammed by some virus

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by White Rabbit, Dec 11, 2009.

1. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Picked up a virus or something after clicking an ED link, and now it's fucking with my google searches for antivirus software and has shut down my Norton antivirus. Any suggestions or quick fixes? If not I'll just take it to my college dorm tech support and see if they can get it off my comp.

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Ram it back. If that doesn't work, try clicking this and when you've installed it do a thorough scan. Here's ESET's online scanner as well for good measure.

Always remember though, the only guarantee you've cleaned your system is to format and reinstall.

3. Twisted

Twisted Guest

Additionally have a quick scrawl through taskmanager processess, try to find anything that is unexplainable/unusual running, and then see if you can go to the file where the .exe running it is located. Worked for me two days ago when a little .exe tried to stop me opening anything. If it stops you opening task manager, reboot and ASAP when windows loads press ctrl+shift+esc to bring up task manager before the virus boots to block (on vista, anyway)

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

^Didn't know about that ctrl+shift+esc to bring up task manager in vista. Used to always ctrl+alt+del and then have to click on task manager. <.< Cheers.

5. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Download Spybot search and destroy for spyware and such. Also try googling your problem, i had a virus that took over iexplore.exe even though i use Firefox and was a bitch to remove. Had to uninstall internet explorer and everything :p.

6. Breed

Breed Third Year

You managed to do that in Windows? Well done you!

@OP: Does your Uni not supply free antivirus you can use? Mine allows us to use the Enterprise version of McAfee installed on the Uni machines for free.