PDA

View Full Version : Santa is scary, the Toothfairy too

Hello
12-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I was just thinking of something after reading the "Let's Write a Fic Together" & "The Co-op" Threads, Santa Clause (or Kringle, St. Nick, whatever you like) is a badass fairy right? So how does he get permission to walk through your threshold? Which got me further thinking...what if the way you invite him is to say put up a tree, or some stockings or perhaps even milk and cookies? Now from what I understand once you invite a fairy the first time thats all they need so does that means that because you put up a Christmas tree when you were five or so that Santa can walk through your threshold and rip you apart because you were on the "naughty" list? The same thing with the toothfairy, put a tooth underneath your pillow and you summon her/him/it and let them into your house right? So does that mean the toothfairy can spy on you for the rest of your life or what? Can anyone tell me if I'm totally off base or if this sounds like a reasonable hypothesis?

azrael
12-24-2009, 09:14 PM
This sounds like you've been reading too much into DF.

Oz
12-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I hate to break it to you son, but Santa isn't real.

Hello
12-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I know Santa is not real, I was just thinking about Santa ripping someone in half and this is what occured to me. Just wanted to see if anyone else thinks the same thing because that would honestly be really cool if Santa could walk through homes and the like without worry about his powers. I was not talking about real life though...I don't see how you could get that impression from what I said. If I really believed in Santa I would be scared out of my mind right now.

Blaise
12-24-2009, 09:39 PM
My mental impression of Santa will always and forever = Sumo Santa from Clayfighter 63 1/3

Oz
12-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Santa is a kind and gentle person, he does not rip people in half. I will not have you besmirch his good name on Christmas day. Have a little respect.

azrael
12-24-2009, 09:44 PM
^^This. If Santa was a homicidal maniac using Christmas trees as invitiations to kill us all, then it would have happened by now.

Blaise
12-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Santa is a kind and gentle person, he does not rip people in half. I will not have you besmirch his good name on Christmas day. Have a little respect.

I hate to break it to you son, but Santa isn't real. Doin it rong.

Oz
12-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Obviously he's no longer real, Blaise, he died a long time ago after all and now it falls on parents to buy gifts and place them under the tree. But this is like someone calling Jesus mean. And I just can't stand for that.

Blaise
12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
...Jesus is mean. A party full of people, jugs upon jugs of water, and God's power at his fingertips - and he decides to not turn it into sweet, sweet rum ?

That's evil, son.

Oz
12-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Just because he was more of a wine man you will condemn him to the life of a social pariah, with the common man afraid to approach him in fear of a caustic comment from The Lord our Savior? I hope you're ashamed of yourself, Blaise. Your actions have much farther reaching consequences than you could have imagined.

Blaise
12-24-2009, 11:25 PM
...All I got from that was a bunch of WINE-ing!

:awesome

/thread

Oz
12-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Deary me, Blaise. I expect so much more from you.

But it is Christmas, so I forgive you. This time.

Wildfeather
12-25-2009, 09:24 PM
You're both doing it rong...

He was talking about the Santa Clause in Dresden Files, which could be a hard core badass motherfucker. I'm fairly sure Dresden mentioned by name that Santa Clause was an unseelie...

Oz
12-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Oz sighs

We got that, wildfeather. ;-;

And yeah, in Storm Front Dresden does mention Santa.

Toot streaked out over Lake Michigan 's waters again, a miniature silver comet, and vanished in a twinkling, just like Santa Claus. Though I should say that Santa is a much bigger and more powerful faery than Toot, and I don't know his true name anyway. You'd never see me trying to nab Saint Nick in a magic circle, even if I did. I don't think anyone has stones that big.
You could take this as fact or as Dresden's sense of humour going off on a tangent.

CheddarTrek
12-26-2009, 07:02 AM
I'd go with it as a fact (or at least a statement based in fact, however loosely) instead of humor since Dresden was thinking this and not actually saying it.

That doesn't mean much in DF, but hey, the OP made me laugh with the idea. It's actually not half bad within the confines of DF -- Xmas Tree, etc. acts as an invitation to a badass Fey, who knew? ;P

Urgh, thinking too much into things... But if this shows up in a later book someone totally called it. That would make me laugh. I can just *see* Harry mouthing off to Santa and getting put on the permanent Naughty List.

Kalas
12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Liessss. We all know who Santa is. The mighty Klaus the Toymaker. Its canon bitches.

Agayek
12-27-2009, 08:38 PM
^^This. If Santa was a homicidal maniac using Christmas trees as invitiations to kill us all, then it would have happened by now.

Somebody has never heard of Robot Santa.

azrael
12-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Indeed I have heard of Robot Santa, but the whole point of Robot Santa is that it's a robot in the future whose programming makes it judge everybody (except Zoidberg) as naughty. Future Robot=/=Current Fairy.

Oz
12-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Wait, it doesn't view Zoidberg as naughty? o_o I gotta rewatch that. D:

Aekiel
12-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Wait, it doesn't view Zoidberg as naughty? o_o I gotta rewatch that. D:

Seriously, it gave him a pogo stick.

azrael
12-28-2009, 02:04 PM
LOL, robot Santa gives Zoidberg a pogo stick IIRC.

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't notice Aekiel's post since it was on another page.

Taure
12-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Addressing the question in the OP: the solution to how he crosses thresholds etc. is that he doesn't.

While the faerie Santa does exist in the Dresden books, I find it likely that parents still buy kids presents, rather than they magically appear. I would think that people would clue on to the existence of magic, if every year a load of presents appeared from nowhere.

DarthBill
12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Which would probably indicate that good ol' Klaus has lost much of his power in recent centuries.

Agayek
12-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Addressing the question in the OP: the solution to how he crosses thresholds etc. is that he doesn't.

While the faerie Santa does exist in the Dresden books, I find it likely that parents still buy kids presents, rather than they magically appear. I would think that people would clue on to the existence of magic, if every year a load of presents appeared from nowhere.

This.

It's more likely that the fae Santa exists and is immensely powerful because of the millions of children that believe in him so fervently, but has nothing to do with the actual giving of gifts.

Which would probably indicate that good ol' Klaus has lost much of his power in recent centuries.

No way. Almost every child in the US believes in Santa, with the innocent fervency that only children can achieve. That alone would be enough to give a fae humongous power. It's unlikely that he's gotten weaker at all.

That said, we're probably never gonna see him in the books, and I doubt he'll even be mentioned again in any more depth.

Oz
12-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Haha, wonder if Harry saying "I don't believe in faeries, I don't believe in faeries!" would weaken one enough for him to escape.

DarthBill
12-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Nah, he tried that.

Was a pretty bitchin' battle cry, though.